United's biggest problem - Our spoiled and overly entitled fan base

Kostov

I would say the biggest problem is fans who plod to the ground like zombies and clap like seals to try and prove their 'top red' style loyalty to the club, whilst the entire place is ravaged by the parasites in charge

I don't think some people understand. It's not about us being crap, the club is slowly being killed and by attending games, buying merchandise, asking people not to criticise the owners, you're tacitly supporting what the Glazers are doing.
Absolutely this. It seems that "top red" fans are the ones that never criticize the shambolic managment and under performing shit players stealing a living from the club.

Red_toad

The fans base has nothing to do with our problem. Our fan base has more patience than other giant clubs fan base. Now imagine if Real Madrid or Barcelona went on such a bad run in 6 years. If anything, I think our fans are too soft on the club, the manager and the players.
Ah so more complaining will help. Glad you cleared that up :lol:

C'est Moi Cantona

The part about negativity is certainly true. Too much moaning about everything. It was obvious that all our problems were never going to be resolved in one window, and there is still time for deals to get done. At least wait till the transfer window shuts before looking at what we got and then passing judgement. The media write a ton of shit to get clicks, and people just lap it up as gospel. People need to be patient, it is not like other clubs have finished doing their business and we are the only ones left behind.
See posts like this are frustrating, how is likely to be different this time when the structure making the decisions is the same?

If Ed hadn't opened his mouth when Jose was sacked and promised us a DOF, a proper up and coming manager, and a decent budget to spend, then fair enough, we know what's coming, but he did, and now we are expected to wait like good little children to see if he gets it right somehow now, when there is zero evidence that this is likely to happen.

Zen86

Absolutely this. It seems that "top red" fans are the ones that never criticize the shambolic managment and under performing shit players stealing a living from the club.
There is literally no one like that here.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
See posts like this are frustrating, how is likely to be different this time when the structure making the decisions is the same?

If Ed hadn't opened his mouth when Jose was sacked and promised us a DOF, a proper up and coming manager, and a decent budget to spend, then fair enough, we know what's coming, but he did, and now we are expected to wait like good little children to see if he gets it right somehow now, when there is zero evidence that this is likely to happen.
Can you post a link to what Ed said when Jose was sacked.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We're not spoiled or overly entitled. We have a history and a responsibility to maintain a standard - at the least challenge. Some of the football we've seen has been so bad it's terrible really. These people have no pride and no determination to challenge and many are at the wrong club.

We've celebrated players staying here for years and we've become complacent celebrating players who are not good enough. Sir Alex warned against complacency. We all hope the club does well and shows ambition in the market in recognition of what we need because we risk losing our best players if we don't.

No fan I know wants to drop down the league and the division. That's the direction we're headed if we don't pull our head out our arse. Posts on social media could be from other clubs fans for all we know. Two signings so far is a start but we really need numbers. We need to generate interest from supporters who want to see ambition and the players want that also but when you see the club lose Herrera and we still have matic....we lack energy.

We need 3/4 maybe more players. This is why people get frustrated because no one wants to see that again. We were so poor some games. Some basics were beyond us much of the time and we need to reshape/remodel the team and show De Gea/Pogba etc that this is the place to be.

Last edited:

Giggsyking

I agree with much in the OP. I don’t think it’s true for everybody or even most of the fans though, but certainly about the most vocal ones on social media and chat forums (like this).

I also believe it is true and in evidence that the football part of the club has not been well run for a considerable time. Not ‘a joke’ or ‘embarassing’, but consistently not well run. This is on the owners, the board and the CEO. I am for the Glazer’s out message on those grounds. Not because they don’t let the club earn it’s money well and spend them, but because they have let the club run from 2009 to 2019 with a badly run sports department making inconsistent sports decision on a constant basis.

Still, much of what happens looks like fans feeling it is their right to have a football team that wins most tournaments in exuberant style, and when that is far of, everything is wrong, and it’s madly wrong, and it’s legit to complain about it at every occasion.

It’s like Toure and his birthday cake.
We are one of the biggest clubs in the world if not the biggest (the biggest fanbase around the world). Manchester united is a giant club and the club makes money based on that fan base around the world. The club should match the the gigantic fan base's ambitions just like Madrid and Barcelona. Do you want our fans to accept mediocrity for 6 years to prove them loyal? They have every right to be annoyed.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
more transfer activity and specifically signing players that they have identified on Football Manager.
I used to think that old farts were being old farts but they were probably stating the truth, Football Manager and FIFA ruined the youth.:lol:

Kostov

There is literally no one like that here.
You actually do. Supposedly United operate the right way according to this thread. Go into player performance threads and you will see fans defending absolute shit players and how it's not their fault when they can't score a fecking goal for 5 months of the season. I personally think we as fans have been too tolerant towards the shit that has been served.

redflash

Yesterday United's young talented goalkeeper Joel Pereira turned 23. He's a fringe player in the squad and unlikely to ever make much of an impact. He's only been involved in the first team on three occasions and only one of those was a start in a Premier League match. A meaningless end of season game against Crystal Palace. To celebrate the player's birthday, United's twitter posted a fairly innocuous birthday message. And then it began.

"Announce Wan-Bissaka" said the first reply. The next was a picture of the Crystal Palace right back in a United shirt. Posts flooded in saying that the club was 'embarrassing' for not announcing the new Manchester United player. Conspiracies floated around that United would be announcing the signing a day late to coincide with an anti-Glazer protest that is apparently planned. Details of this event seem sparce, but seem to involve tweeting a lot by fans who live in foreign countries. Apparently United would be so upset by a few thousand tweets that they would be willing to change the details of a £50 million pound signing.

This recent idea that United are 'embarrassing' seems to have seeped into everyone's consciousness. United are trying to get new scouts. 'Embarrassing'. United sign a few hungry young players from the Premier League. Embarrassing. United are linked with big money moves for Bale or such like players. Embarrassing. But it becomes painfully obvious reading this forum, reading social media or comment sections on websites, that is the behaviour of the fanbase that is increasingly embarrassing.

United currently spend the most on wages in the Premier League. The club has spent 300 million on transfers in the last three summer windows and recouped about 50 million of that. They are the only big club to have spent money in the Premier League so far. They are the biggest spenders in the league so far this window. But that isn't enough for some United fans. They inundate message boards across the internet asking for more investment, more transfer activity and specifically signing players that they have identified on Football Manager.

The fact is United are currently operating in the right way. We have signed a talented young player from lower leagues. Response to this signing has been mixed, almost as if signing players from Championship clubs is beneath us. Nevermind the small outlay or the potential of the young player, he's already written off by some. We have followed this up by clearly improving a weak area in our squad with a defender who was statistically the best right back in the league last year. We have got him for a reasonable fee with plenty of time left. Still some complain that he isn't announced, like that matters in any way shape or form.

United fans complain about the lack of 'deadwood' moving on, but we have taken steps to sort this with Valencia, Fellaini and Wilson leaving the club. Players such as Darmian and Rojo are expected to join them shortly afterwards. These deals take time, but fans are impatient, desperately trying to get the next hit of dopamine from a transfer rumour posted by a Reddit ITK.

It is not acceptable at this stage to be so miserable about United's upcoming chances. As a fanbase we need to get behind the players. A few years ago we laughed as Klopp had his players celebrate after a 2-2 draw with West Brom. But Liverpool fans bought into what was happening and despite a relatively low spend since then, Klopp has been immensely successful.

United have a new season starting soon. We are spending money, improving the squad and working towards getting back to our perch. It might not work, but please stop being so overly dramatic, especially before a ball is even kicked. Let's get behind our young legendary manager and our new team and see if we can kick on.
I've never agreed with anything posted on this forum more than I agree with this. A lot of our fans have lost the plot

Zlatattack

BS. People are rightfully angry. Our club has been shit for the last 6 years. The quality of the football has been poor, the results just as bad. We don't owe Manchester United anything. Fans pay for a service and have subscribed to a service for years and years. We expect a basic quality of product in return.

Right now our football is dire and our performances are drab. We've been through 4 managers - concensus is that the squad needs an overhaul.

While clubs with similar financial firepower are making leaps and bounds (Real Madrid), we've been dilly dallying. Most of our crap players are still here. Fans should be protesting the dross bring served up at games, boycotting matches if we're still playing Lingard at RW and other daft shit like that. Replying negatively on twitter is nothing.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I guess you were in a fecking coma and missed the string of appalling decision made by that same board and Woodward in the last 6 years.
Did you already forget what you posted?

That bold part is absolute bonkers. We are being run horrendously bad and you think the fans are the problem? If anything fans have been too patient with management that is prioritizing marketing over footballing matters.
Compare that to this:

Woodward replied: "Playing performance doesn't really have a meaningful impact on what we can do on the commercial side of the business."
The quote you posted doesn't even remotely insinuate the bolded.
Does not impact =/= not prioritizing

Grande

We are one of the biggest clubs in the world if not the biggest (the biggest fanbase around the world). Manchester united is a giant club and the club makes money based on that fan base around the world. The club should match the the gigantic fan base's ambitions just like Madrid and Barcelona. Do you want our fans to accept mediocrity for 6 years to prove them loyal? They have every right to be annoyed.
Thank you for this textbook example of fan entitlement.

UpWithRivers

It what world do consumers bend over and accept a substandard product. Only football and only United. Football is still a product. It's is marketed at the top end. We would be fine dining michilan starred if we were a restaurant, an iPhone level phone, a Ferrari level car, A Hollywood a list movie etc

If any of these companies produce a substandard product what would happen? Say the new release of iPhone is rated 6th best phone and that happened for 6 years! Say you went to a michilan starred restaurant and the food was no better than an average restaurant. The consumers would be up in arms. Social media would hammer them.

Same for Utd. We have been fed sub par crap for 6 years. We don't need excuses. If you buy a phone and it's crap you don't care Apple had some difficulties but they spent a lot in development and tried really really hard. You just want a good phone.

And this applies to the top clubs as well. Real, Barca etc fans would be protesting in the street and by now. But at Utd you are hammered for complaining. Stiff upper lip chaps. Pants down, turn around.

Zlatattack

Also talking of embarrassing - the wank performances those over paid divas deliver on the pitch. The rubbish excuses the managers make. Ashley Young at left back and Valencia at right back. Mata on the right wing (not knocking the players, rather the fact we had stop gaps playing those positions for years). Offering Rojo a new contract.

That was embarrassing.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I used to think that old farts were being old farts but they were probably stating the truth, Football Manager and FIFA ruined the youth.:lol:
I honestly think it has. People talk about transfers as if there are real life [WNT] tags next to players in a spreadsheet along with a value of what you have to pay.

Giggsyking

Thank you for this textbook example of fan entitlement.
It is called ambition, who both the club and the fans should maintain, otherwise, people should support clubs like Everton if they are not interested in titles.

C'est Moi Cantona

Can you post a link to what Ed said when Jose was sacked.
I'll do it later when I'm on my laptop, but it was well reported that we willing to pay £30-£40 million compo to get Poch soon after Jose was sacked, and even more well reported that we have been after a DOF all summer, yet here we are.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
It is called ambition, who both the club and the fans should maintain, otherwise, people should support clubs like Everton if they are not interested in titles.
I'm confused. Are you suggesting United fans should be glory hunters?

Cloud7

Did you already forget what you posted?

Compare that to this:

The quote you posted doesn't even remotely insinuate the bolded.
Does not impact =/= not prioritizing
I’ve always felt like this quote was blown way way out of proportion. Ever since the first time I saw it I felt like that.

This was mentioned at an investors meeting, not a football meeting. For a club that had been faltering for the past couple years, wouldn’t you want your investors to feel secure in their investment that the commercial side of things, which lets be honest is what the investors care about, wouldn’t be affected by the ups and downs of the football side of things? I certainly wouldn’t want to hear “Well unless the club starts winning league titles again we aren’t a worthwhile investment for you lads at all. Maybe you should check out the blue guys down the road?”

United fans really really latched on to that quote and for the life of me I can’t understand why.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I honestly think it has. People talk about transfers as if there are real life [WNT] tags next to players in a spreadsheet along with a value of what you have to pay.
For me it's even simpler than that, you have at least two other actors in every deals, the selling club and the player and unlike video games in real life it's difficult to actually convince everyone to go in the same direction. Just think about Maguire last season, he was said to be interested in a move to United but he never pushed for it and then extended his contract, he may have been genuinely interested in joining United but it wasn't strong enough to make him push for it or put United in a better situation the following summer. These are the type of things that happen all the time, players and clubs have distant interests, the selling clubs may not be against selling under certain conditions and the big issue is to find a deal that actually convinces everyone, that's where time goes.

Irrational.

We are living in the Amazon Prime age. Where everything is about instant gratification. No one has patience and everyone wants everything right here right now. We are spoilt.

Perhaps Glaston was onto something with his DADDY DADDY WANT WANT rant.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yeah, the entitled fanbase is exactly why we've been in a free-fall ever since SAF retired. Such a load of shite.

At this point I honestly cannot tell whether it's still wumming or massive delusion. You should apologise to me for clicking the 'show ignored content' just to see this thread.

Bojan11

Amazon prime age wtf? It’s faster going to the store...

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I'll do it later when I'm on my laptop, but it was well reported that we willing to pay £30-£40 million compo to get Poch soon after Jose was sacked, and even more well reported that we have been after a DOF all summer, yet here we are.
Reports =/= what Woodward said

Andy_Cole

I do agree with what you said but there is an issue with the board and owners. I heard most the comments were #glazersout which I completely support doing it on social media as it’s a method that actually makes our board listen.

Putting pressure on the board pushes them to please the fans. So this means perhaps not taking out dividends, improving the stadium and perhaps giving more funds for players.

passing-wind

When you consider the extent of issues at this club placing emphasis on fans discontent is absolutely calamitous. Thread is meaningless although there are some elements of truth, if we were in a position City / Liverpool are in and have this issue then it's completely justified to call the fans spoiled brats.

Reality is the club is sliding backwards in every regard on and off the pitch.

R'hllor

To bad these type of owners wont see the thread title, they could run with it and make you bend over even more, customers dont deserve anything better anyway.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
This is what I mean.

Woodwood absolutely said nothing. You've latched onto newspaper reports and taken it as fact. There was nothing substantial to a lot of these rumours, but because they haven't happened you're annoyed.

Chairman Steve

Those social media posts at this point are usually tired old memes for people to spam. I don’t think they actually mean it when they post them and they’re just trying to score likes and retweets by being the first one to recite them or posting them tongue in cheek as laugh or trying to bait responses, so things like “ANNOUNCE *PLAYER*”, “Thanks my son is now crying upon reading this” and “Delete this. How embarrassing” are all just meaningless now to me.

The annoying thing about it is it gets old quick, so get some new wummery material for me to laugh at for a minute or two then roll my eyes at after I see it spammed a million times after.

Zen86

You actually do. Supposedly United operate the right way according to this thread. Go into player performance threads and you will see fans defending absolute shit players and how it's not their fault when they can't score a fecking goal for 5 months of the season. I personally think we as fans have been too tolerant towards the shit that has been served.
I certainly don’t.

I dislike the attitude of many of our players, I dislike the baller culture we’ve developed, I dislike the money that we have and continue to squander, I dislike the glazers, I dislike the management and decisions we’ve made over the last 6 or 7 years, I dislike the sh*t football we have played, the gradual stripping down of what Manchester United are about, the continual short-sightedness we have displayed, I dislike most of what we have done since Fergie left, and most of all I dislike the fact we have been making the same mistakes over and over and hoping for a different outcome.

And yet I am happy we are taking a well needed fresh approach now. I am willing to give them time with the hope that they will get their sh*t together. I realise 6+ years of mismanagement will not be resolved overnight, it is ridiculous to think otherwise.

Eddy_JukeZ

True. Real fans are much more spoilt and demanding. And their club is a lot more successful.
True.

Jose should have been sacked ASAP after his disgraceful post match presser vs Sevilla. It was unreal that he survived.

Bernd Schuster(Real Madrid manager at the time) prior to their game vs Pep's Barcelona in the 2008-2009 season, said they had no chance vs Barcelona. He stepped down afterwards, because of the hurls of abuse he got from the fans and he pretty much had to step down.

Our match-going fans have been served up plenty of shit performances the past few days, and I rarely recall many boos.