United's Most Embarassing Results

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Liverpool last season because of everything it represented. Getting thoroughly outclassed at home by them, the massive gulf in class that had opened up, as well as being the symbolic end of Ole - we all knew he was a goner after this. I know some won’t be too annoyed at that fact, but he’s a club legend and he just looked so done at the end of that game. Not a nice thing to see at all.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Porto and leverkuden cl games, that time we gone out to Bilbao in europa.

Lentwood

Oh yes, I remember Zalaegerzeg! The Fernerbache one ended years of being undefeated at Old Trafford in Europe didn't it? Blimey, I had forgotten about the Young Boys game! Only a year ago too.
Yeah, it was a huge deal at the time for sure.

Also remembered we lost 0-3 to them in 2005 when Tuncay scored that hattrick.

This was also a bad one....https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/70133--m-haifa-vs-man-united/

jeff_goldblum

There is surely a difference between being upset emotionally, and an embarrassing result.
Yeah I'd say that an embarrassing result is one where you go out against a team you should beat comfortably and losing (or getting caned) because you didn't turn up.

I think what a lot of people are channelling (especially when they cite recent games against City and Liverpool) is a more general state of embarrassment about how far we've fallen, the emotional blow of going into games against rivals and fully expecting to be badly beaten and the actual experience of getting made fun of by opposition fans in the wake of a bad result.

Different kind of embarrassment I guess.

redshaw

The manner of our play is more embarrassing. Top teams can suffer a slip but get back to playing well, you can ride those things out but United for about 10 years have been really struggling. We wilt in the CL every time and get outplayed and outfought too much.

One game that sticks out to me even now was with Moyes when we played Bayern, only 1-1. Robben even remarked how poor we were at home in allowing them all the possession, he couldn't quite believe how far we'd fallen so soon. We ended up with 26% and went a long time in the game under 20%. Such a cowardly surrender that is a hallmark for the 9-10 years post Fergie.

Last edited:

Elpidios

Leicester City 5 - 3 Manchester United
21st September 2014

The fact that we were 3-1 ahead, playing fairly decent with a core attack of van Persie, Falcao and Rooney, our defensive fragilities at the back, as well as, a certain Jamie Vardy playing a blinder, seeing his smug face when he scored was truly a day to forget.

JB7

Totally. In both of those games, it also felt like they eased off and took it easy on us which was even worse.
Yeah I'm not sure I would say City scoring 3 goals in the last 5 minutes of the 1-6 counts as them easing off to be honest.

jackal&hyde

I've never felt like one particular result of a game was super embarrassing. Hurtful yes, but football is like that and individual results I get over very fast.

In recent times I've felt truly embarrassed by some of our league positions. With Moyes, being champions and then looking like scrubs was hard to take. Also during Mourinho was the only time I felt like the World was taking pity on us and the manager was demeaning the club for his own prestige, this was the biggest low I felt as a fan. Made the club look smaller then a manager that was not even good anymore. The only time I stopped watching the games.

Oldyella

Yeah I'm not sure I would say City scoring 3 goals in the last 5 minutes of the 1-6 counts as them easing off to be honest.
Hah yeah. Tbh I was skim reading while starting work and auto assumed we were discussing both results from last year, didn't clock the actual scoreline.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
I'm another for the 5-0 Liverpool game. It's the only time I have ever felt numb and stunned at what I'd just witnessed on a football pitch. I'll never understand why Klopp had them go into training mode with so long left and not get the double figures they were undoubtedly heading for otherwise.

Every single football club has had embarrassing loses to smaller clubs at some point in their history. Few though will have ever experienced such an utter humiliation as we did that day.

erikcred

I'm another for the 5-0 Liverpool game. It's the only time I have ever felt numb and stunned at what I'd just witnessed on a football pitch. I'll never understand why Klopp had them go into training mode with so long left and not get the double figures they were undoubtedly heading for otherwise.

Every single football club has had embarrassing loses to smaller clubs at some point in their history. Few though will have ever experienced such an utter humiliation as we did that day.
We can thank Pogba for going in hard on Keita. Maybe even damaged their title chances! I think Liverpool kept dropping points in the next few games.

Abraxas

For me the MK Dons one was pretty bad. They're barely a real football club. That was a total shambles.

I don't think the team we put out matters. It's still Manchester United associated with the result.

0-0 with Omonia is bad but not even close to the worst. They're a Europa League side, they'd easily dispatch the likes of Exeter, MK Dons etc.

croadyman

I must have erased that from my memory...have no recollection of that!

Losing 0-2 to Coventry at OT was bad...Michael Misfud got both I think

Also, losing 0-1 to Southend...Freddie Eastwood scored that free-kick...not good!
4-0 to West Ham in 2010

Last edited:

nakpodiareuben

The 5:0 dubbing by Liverpool last season. I have been a supporter since 1999 and have watched all our games till the final whistle. But against the scoucers last season, I left the game in the 60th minute (partly also because my wife was on admission in the hospital). It's not about losing a match but when you go in there and refuse to fight, it's painful. I remember when city thrashed us 6:1 at old Trafford, I stayed till the end and was applauding the players with years in my eyes at the end of the game. We were a man down against a great city team but our players were pushing forward, going for the tackles, playing with pride.....That is the Manchester united I know.....Last season was just a shame but against Liverpool....it was such a low point. I always believe that was the day Ole was sacked. I was surprised he played 2 extra games. He would have just threw in the towel after that match....

Herman Toothrot

United 1 - Liverpool 4

It's much worse when you're actually good. Getting battered when the season has been written off doesn't compare.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I was a bit young for this but I used to watch all the DVDs religiously and was aware of the result...however, am I right in thinking it was a League Cup game and it wasn't a strong United side?
Pilkington, Parker, Pallister, McGibbon, Irwin, Neville, Beckham, Davies, Giggs, Sharpe, McClair

Strong enough not to get battered at home by a relegation-battling third tier team. The only comparable result is Leeds in 09/10, who were a huge club and top League 1 side and only won 1-0.

Tap

Porto and leverkuden cl games, that time we gone out to Bilbao in europa.
They ended up as CL winners and finalists though and those were narrow defeats. Disappointing yes but not so embarrassing

Red Rash

If we had drawn last night it wouldn't have even been the most embarrassing game of the season, the Brentford and City games were far worse.

Last night we dominated possession and chances but a combination of bad finishing and a goalie turning in a great performance against us would have stopped us winning. It would have been embarrassing but these things sometimes happen against smaller teams playing for a draw.

Getting dominated by City and Brentford was much more embarrassing for me because we looked like a lower league team in those games.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Honestly the 2-0 to City last year was worse than the 5-0 to Liverpool for me.

Because that City game felt like they were playing some shit League One side in the Carabao Cup and just cruised after being up 2-0. Completely disheartening. At least Liverpool was still trying to score.

matys

Last season away game against Young Boys in CL was embarrassing as feck. After AWB got red carded it was a horror display from OSG and the team

That was the moment when I joined Ole out camp

AshRK

Losing 5-0 at home to your bitter rivals last year was pretty bad. I even felt embarrassed losing to city this season. It felt bad that how far we have fallen to the point I embarrassingly accept that they are on a different level. That defeat hurt me.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
They ended up as CL winners and finalists though and those were narrow defeats. Disappointing yes but not so embarrassing
They make me seeth which is more than what any embarrassing defeat like say Brantford could achieve.

Kopral Jono

Losing at home against Cardiff in the final game of 2018/19 was pretty bad.

Revaulx

The Olympiakos 0-2 in the CL knock-outs comes to mind, we were absolutely awful in that game(even though we managed to beat them 3-0 at home)
I’m always sceptical of claims that a player “single handedly” won a game, but in that 3-0 RvP more or less did just that.

204Red

Obviously the 0-5 vs Liverpool last year

But also the 0-3 vs Liverpool at Old Trafford under Moyes in 2014 (when Gerrard should have had a hattrick of penalties - he missed the 3rd), and DDG had to make a series of saves to keep it from being 0-7. It was the first time I'd watched us when I thought we had no chance of winning or getting a result from the start, you just knew they were going to thump us and our players put up little in the way of resistance to stop them. Maybe embarrassed is wrong here, maybe ashamed would be a better way of describing it.

RVN1991

6-1 vs City in 2011. The spankings City and Liverpool gave us last season were routine and expected at that point.

Gopher Brown

1-6 v City was such a disappointment, seeing as we had had such a phenomenal league start (8-2 v Arsenal, 3-1 v Chelsea, two 5-0 wins too) and then completely crash landed. After that game Fergie sidelined Meulensteen and pulled the breaks Queiroz had brought us, it was the end of a short dream. Disappointing shock more than embarassing to me.

0-5 v Liverpool was worse. It was going from bad to worse, a total unravelling, and they spared us towards the end. That gave me a proper flushing.

1-6 to Spurs was bad, but there were so many anomalies to everything at that moment due to Covid, it didn’t feel too reflective of the teams status.

I think 3-6 against Southampton under Ferguson was a low point, we had just lost 5-0 to Newcastle (very embarrasingly), and the need for a rebuttal made it agonizing to watch Egil Østenstad and Eyal Berkovic wreak havoc on United’s defense, completed by a Gary Neville own goal in extra time. It was the grey invisibility suits that did it, supposedly … only we followed up losing 0-1 at home to Fenerbahce in the mid week. Torrid times.
The grey kits game was the 3-1 loss the following season.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
MK Dons 4-0 Man Utd 2014 under LVG.

Last night was frustrating but not embarrassing their keeper played a blinder and their defenders John Terry'd everything else.
This one always sticks out for me. And the Leeds Beckford game :mad:

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Dennis Bailey scoring a hat trick and getting tonked 4-1 at home to QPR on New Year's Day 1992 was awful. And it was live on TV.

Added to the fact we lost the league to Leeds five months later...

Moriarty

League Cup semi final second leg in 1971 against 3rd Division Villa. Brian Kidd scored a lovely individual goal but we lost 2-1. 1967. 2nd Division Norwich come to Old Trafford for a 4th round cup tie. 63,000 packed into Old Trafford (Norwich brought a good 5000+) to see the Canaries beat the champions-elect 2-1. They got tonked 1-3 by Wednesday in the 5th round.