United's Most Embarassing Results

MUW4Eva

Pilkington, Parker, Pallister, McGibbon, Irwin, Neville, Beckham, Davies, Giggs, Sharpe, McClair

Strong enough not to get battered at home by a relegation-battling third tier team. The only comparable result is Leeds in 09/10, who were a huge club and top League 1 side and only won 1-0.
If I remember rightly, the York MP at the time complained in Parliament about the weakness of the side we put out on that occasion!

Looking back now, I bet just a few years later, he would have begged us to have played a similar side!

Loon

:lol:
I remember when we were smashed 5-0 by Newcastle even fecking Barry Norman made a joke about it on FILM 96.

Can't remember who won the league that year....

Crashoutcassius

brentford this year and about ten games from last season when ralf was running the club and saying the players would be sold in interviews as a motivational tactic

Robin

The York game in Sept 95 sticks out for me as it was a 2 legged game and I booked a holiday gambling that we would get the away tie first , this was the last home game I missed until Covid ruined my record , saw the result in a bar in Spain and couldn’t believe it. I went to the second leg which we won 3-1, remembered as it was the same day that OJ Simpson was acquitted of the murder of his ex wife

tomaldinho1

The only answer is 0-5 Pool. Old Trafford, then basically taking pity on us/planning for the next game by half time - just everything about that day summed up the rank direction the club was heading in.

lex talionis

The 1-6 trashing is for me by far the worst, for some of the obvious reasons. But beyond the obvious reasons, that trashing opened the door to other thrashings by City and then Liverpool.

Everything about that thrashing makes all the other seem insignificant by comparison.

Moriarty

0-5 at Selhurst Park in December 1972 was awful and the 1-5 pasting at Leeds the previous February. It was 0-0 at HT too. 0-4 at home to Chelsea in August 1968 was a real shocker. They walked it that day against the reigning European Champions. I was with a mate from school in the Stretford End and it was as quiet as the grave. A couple of weeks later, we lost 4-5 at Hillsborough. At least we rallied later on.

tomaldinho1

The 1-6 trashing is for me by far the worst, for some of the obvious reasons. But beyond the obvious reasons, that trashing opened the door to other thrashings by City and then Liverpool.

Everything about that thrashing makes all the other seem insignificant by comparison.
The red card made that more understandable though. It was only 0-1 before that.

Gazza

Man United 0-3 York City. 1995.
This was the first that came to mind.

With the big defeats against big teams, they lose their shock value after a couple and also depend on where I am when they happen - as in, nothing will make me feel as upset as I was when I watched us lose 5-0 to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in 1999. I was 11 and in a pub full of Chelsea fans. Wanted to cry.

berbasloth4

The two results in a row I think in 95/96 Newcastle 5-0 and Southampton 6-3 embarrassing then beat 2-1 by Chelsea and stopped the rut beating I think arsenal with an og 1-0

cyril C

I don't think losing to minor in domestic Cup games was embarrasing because we often field a very weak side. It would be huge disappointment to the fringe players as under Fergi, it would have been their end of road.

Loss to Brentford must be the worst of all, as we field supposedly our strongest side, against a (at best) mid-table team.

croadyman

I was a bit young for this but I used to watch all the DVDs religiously and was aware of the result...however, am I right in thinking it was a League Cup game and it wasn't a strong United side?
Yeah it was the start of Fergie's Fledglings, bar a win over Port Vale in Sept 94 we generally lost our first tie in that era

94/95 lost to Newcastle
95/96 lost to York City
96/97 lost to Ipswich
97/98 lost to Leicester

Gazza

That the year of being 12 points behind and bookies had paid out on Newcastle? Or year after?
95/96 was when we were 12 behind, won at St James 1-0 Cantona. We beat them 4-0 in the following Charity Shield (Shearer’s debut after he chose them over us) and then they got revenge in 96/97, when we won the league and they didn’t really challenge (although they did finish 2nd in the end as I recall).

MUW4Eva

I don't think losing to minor in domestic Cup games was embarrasing because we often field a very weak side. It would be huge disappointment to the fringe players as under Fergi, it would have been their end of road.

Loss to Brentford must be the worst of all, as we field supposedly our strongest side, against a (at best) mid-table team.
Was getting beat by Brentford a worse result, then getting beaten by Huddersfield??
For me, the latter was a more embarrassing defeat, especially the way we played in thst game.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
We actually played ok in the 6-1 against City for parts of the game. Had we been more sensible after Fletcher's goal, 3-1 would have been an acceptable result.

The Liverpool and City defeats last season were far worse as we looked miles behind them

I’m loving my life

Brentford was that bad that I was actually laughing as the 4th goal went in. MK Dons was a pretty bad one a few years ago

Poborksy96

For me, my most uncomfortable game was going to the pub with two Chelsea supporting mates and losing 0-5 at Stamford Bridge. The blind Venetian was in goal. 99-00 season I think