Universal Basic Income

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
For the majority it would be not work, if that was the option in my opinion.
Absolute Tory nonsense. The number of people that would choose not to work for £1600 a month when they could continue to work, continue to get £1600 a month and be comfortable with disposable income will be small enough not to concern yourself with.

Those that do, let them worry about their own situation. You’re getting your money too.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
what do you think the answer would be if people had to chose between work or 1600 a month? (even though that isn't the choice)

I would guess most people would chose to work

If you're like 60 with your house paid off it would be a good chance to retire early, but other than that it's not enough money to live on
What? £1600 a month free of tax isn't enough to live on?

arnie_ni

I would've thought a few would take the offer but for the majority it's simply not enough money to live off
For the majority it's more than they get now. But I'd say most would use it as a top up and continue workinf

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
What about supply/demand?
It’s not a simple as that. More people having money in this country and spending money creates jobs, wealth and security. A strong economy can strengthen the currency which makes importing cheaper.

Security means confidence in the market, if a company can sell more it means they can buy in bulk and negotiate better deals which brings their wholesale costs down which can then be passed on to the consumer.

Hughes35

I don't think it would work to be honest.

For £1600 after tax it would be a big drop off in salary for me but I'd still consider it. Maybe downsize my house, go mortgage free and just enjoy the free time.

I'm 33 and would likely retire at 40 if this came in............... I hope it does!!!!!

You'd lose masses of the workforce. Also, what incentive would kids have to learn skills and get in to employment if they were going to get enough money to live anyway?

Baneofthegame

Absolute Tory nonsense. The number of people that would choose not to work for £1600 a month when they could continue to work, continue to get £1600 a month and be comfortable with disposable income will be small enough not to concern yourself with.

Those that do, let them worry about their own situation. You’re getting your money too.
I mean, for my situation personally it would allow my wife to be at home with our kids more and I would be able to see them all more.

I’d happily take 1600 and keep doing my job as well.

Dan_F

I would've thought a few would take the offer but for the majority it's simply not enough money to live off
:lol: It’s barely below the average salary for the UK. Surely every person earning the same or below would take it, which would be almost half the country.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Why do people think it’s either UBI or work?

The point is that it’s both.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I just don’t get how the country could afford this - it would be like a massive increase in (non-means tested) benefits spending.

I understand even less how it could be used as a solution to jobs going due to AI - jobs going would mean less taxes being paid which means less money to spend. The benefits of AI would be for companies / shareholders, many of which won’t need to be based in the UK and therefore won’t pay tax here, or not much.

Phil Jones Face

For £1600 after tax it would be a big drop off in salary for me but I'd still consider it. Maybe downsize my house, go mortgage free and just enjoy the free time.

I'm 33 and would likely retire at 40 if this came in............... I hope it does!!!!!

You'd lose masses of the workforce. Also, what incentive would kids have to learn skills and get in to employment if they were going to get enough money to live anyway?
Wouldn't a reduced workforce drive up wages though, which would incentivize people to get back into work?

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Why do people think it’s either UBI or work?

The point is that it’s both.
I'm confused; does UBI top you up to £1.6k if you earn less that that? i.e. say I get £1.4k month, would UBI top me up to £1.6k, so I'd get £200 untaxed?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I'm confused; does UBI top you up to £1.6k if you earn less that that? i.e. say I get £1.4k month, would UBI top me up to £1.6k, so I'd get £200 untaxed?
It's a separate £1.6k tax free amount that has nothing to do with your salary. So whatever you earn, you earn + an additional £1.6k per month.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I just don’t get how the country could afford this - it would be like a massive increase in (non-means tested) benefits spending.

I understand even less how it could be used as a solution to jobs going due to AI - jobs going would mean less taxes being paid which means less money to spend. The benefits of AI would be for companies / shareholders, many of which won’t need to be based in the UK and therefore won’t pay tax here, or not much.
I think it's generated from increasing corporation tax, but not sure.

As an aside - I'm really shocked anyone would be against this.

The only downside is - we''ll see corporations raise their prices to mitigate the tax, and because they know consumers will have an extra £1.6k in their pocket. Just as they've been protecting their margins against rampant inflation and cost of living crisis.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
It's a separate £1.6k tax free amount that has nothing to do with your salary. So whatever you earn, you earn + an additional £1.6k per month.
That's mental, I'd be rich. Sign me up

Edit: By rich, I mean I'd be out of debt.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I’m broadly “for” UBI as a general concept. Couple of points though;

* it would be interesting to get a poll here. If UBI was brought in, would you;
1) stop working
2) reduce your hours/go part-time
3) continue as-is

* second point is that UBI is a massive shift from the norm. By bringing in UBI, are we tacitly accepting the failures and limitations of free market economics and indeed - capitalism? If so, should that not be addressed more directly in terms of wealth distribution etc?

Tarrou

:lol: It’s barely below the average salary for the UK. Surely every person earning the same or below would take it, which would be almost half the country.
didn't realise wages were so shit in the UK now

I'm too used to Australia prices :lol:

arnie_ni

Is this really affordable for everyone?
I don't know how much money goes into means testing and all the infrastructure behind it, but surely its not ~47 million people getting £1.6k * 12 = £902bn a year.
I based that on everyone in the UK aged 18 or over getting it (https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures...d Wales (17.3 million,aged 60 years and over) - is that correct?
What do they pay out in esa/dla/universal credit etc etc. That will all stop. So we should only be considering net cost.

Maticmaker

I agree, the issues that bedevil 'the working poor' which is assumed what this is aimed at, go beyond assuring income streams. Why can't they be paid a living wage now? That leads to more questions than answers. The truth is however somewhere down the road, the advances in AI, the changes needed to save the planet, etc. will mean less people working, but it won't necessarily mean more leisure time and the necessity, and the ability, and pride in 'earning your keep' cannot be lost.

Way back in the 70's when Youth unemployment was beginning to make its present felt, the government (somewhat in panic it must be said) turned to the idea of encouraging young people, who were out of secondary education, but not able or willing to enter further or higher education and with out a job, or training, to take up places on YOP's Schemes (Youth Opportunities Programmes). These schemes were basically to keep kids off the street, but were supposed to give them experience of the world of work, e.g. arriving on time, following instructions, and learning what they could about anything they were involved with. However, there was no official training, even at times no H&S and no pay, just 'work experience'.
Eventually (after NTI) these schemes were overtaken by the Youth Training Schemes (YTS), but the almost unique thing about these early attempts was they were nearly all about restoring the environment, e.g. cleaning out canals, planting trees, shrubs, etc, cleaning up graffiti, and for a while in places where these programmes ran, the local environment did improve and ultimately it led to better schemes being developed with local community involvement high on the list. Sadly no proper local records were kept of whether progression into employment for post 16's was really achieved, also there were some horrific accidents reported and accusations of 'slave labour' abounded, which made the government look elsewhere and they came up with YTS,

Is it possible that something like this could return, but with proper aims and objectives, H&S and other safeguards and with £1600 per month wages. Perhaps no kids involved this time, but adults...well just a thought!

Last edited:

djembatheking

It will be good for the building trades, gardeners , mechanics etc as they can take the 400 pound a week and do a few days here and there for cash to top up the money.

arnie_ni

Seeing as we’re getting by ok on our current income, an extra £3200 per month for me/my wife would mean we have so much money we literally wouldn’t know what to do with it all. I’m generally positive about UBI but that seems intuitively a bit wrong.
Same. I mentioned my wife dropping days a few posts up but I don't see anyway I'd continue a 5 day week either. Why would I?

acnumber9

Seeing as we’re getting by ok on our current income, an extra £3200 per month for me/my wife would mean we have so much money we literally wouldn’t know what to do with it all. I’m generally positive about UBI but that seems intuitively a bit wrong.
When we have billionaires jetting in to space for shits and giggles, I don’t think the masses would have much to feel guilty about over an extra £1600.

Dan_F

didn't realise wages were so shit in the UK now

I'm too used to Australia prices :lol:
By the time you convert to dollars and then take away how much more everything costs in Australia, I’m sure it works out reasonably similar.

owlo

It’s not a simple as that. More people having money in this country and spending money creates jobs, wealth and security. A strong economy can strengthen the currency which makes importing cheaper.

Security means confidence in the market, if a company can sell more it means they can buy in bulk and negotiate better deals which brings their wholesale costs down which can then be passed on to the consumer.
Most of our living costs aren't predicated on this. There would certainly be inflation in several sectors.