Unpopular Onion Thread

Stig

I thought that maybe we could have a thread where even Top Reds can express a view that would normally instantly have them lose the title of Top Red; but this thread would provide a sanctuary where an unpopular statement will allow posters to still keep their Top Red status.

My unpopular onion would be that I really don't like the Cantona 12 days of Christmas song. I just annoys me for some reason.

There; I've finally said it.

I also think Marcus Rashford should be sent on loan somewhere to see if he can buck his ideas up and stop being lazy and greedy.

Eplel

Darren Fletcher was our best midfielder from 2007 till 2011.

ExoduS

I think all onions should be popular. It's unfair to exclude some onions based on their appearance or lack of spiciness and label them as unpopular. Onions feelings matter!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ryan Giggs face makes me physically uncomfortable. My brain does not like what its seeing and I cant put my finger on it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Are we expected to give a layered answer? Because I don't really have the brine.

Revaulx

I thought that maybe we could have a thread where even Top Reds can express a view that would normally instantly have them lose the title of Top Red; but this thread would provide a sanctuary where an unpopular statement will allow posters to still keep their Top Red status.

My unpopular onion would be that I really don't like the Cantona 12 days of Christmas song. I just annoys me for some reason.

There; I've finally said it.
It doesn’t really annoy me, but I do find it sad that so many fans are stuck in the 1990s. I know we’ve been shit for a while now, but there was a goodly period in the early part of this century when we were actually rather good.

I also think Marcus Rashford should be sent on loan somewhere to see if he can buck his ideas up and stop being lazy and greedy.
If only we could have appointed a new manager who has a reputation as a much harder taskmaster than the one Marcus has been mollycoddled by for the past few years…

KingCavani

Towards the end of his career Carrick was called underrated so often he became overrated. Good player but nothing more.

While they were brilliant players the longevity of Giggs and Scholes’ careers (particularly the former) caused them to become a little overrated by fans. People forget they had some really poor seasons. Keane and Beckham were better and far more important at their peak.

De Gea is overrated and always has been. He’s way too conversative and technically limited to be a top keeper in the modern game. A lot of his biggest errors are never highlighted because keeprs aren’t criticised for staying on their line.

Fellaini was a better signing and better United player than Mata.

VDB will be sold in January.

Harry Maguire has been bad this season. Luke Shaw has been a lot worse. The Liverpool game especially Shaw was at fault for almost every goal and yet Maguire bore the brunt of the criticism.

Last edited:

wolvored

As a song 20 times Man Utd is a bit embarrasing when we are no longer challenging for it for years now. It would be like Liverpool singing 18 times in the mid 2000s

Kopral Jono

It doesn’t really annoy me, but I do find it sad that so many fans are stuck in the 1990s. I know we’ve been shit for a while now, but there was a goodly period in the early part of this century when we were actually rather good.

If only we could have appointed a new manager who has a reputation as a much harder taskmaster than the one Marcus has been mollycoddled by for the past few years…
On bolded: this phenomenon is not about our footballing success any more, I don't think. It's more about nostalgic fans in their late thirties, forties and early fifties wanting to relive the carefree zeitgeist of peak Mancunian wonderland where our on-pitch success, music and pop culture collided in a way never to be seen again. I'm heading to that age range and I could definitely relate to this sense of longing for years gone by.

Cloud7

Pickled onions are meh
The last time I ate them I got food poisoning. It was the only thing out of the ordinary in the meal I had, so it had to be them. Staying away from them going forward.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We are back to needing another 2 or 3 new players if we want to change our style of play again. Everybody’s bored of the rebuild but we are probably very much back in the midst of one. It could be a very bumpy road.

Martial Pogba Rasford DDG AWB Shaw Matic Ronaldo aren’t going to just magically give us what the new coach has had at his other clubs but they are on too much money to sell. How long will it be until player power takes over again?

Bobade

The last time I ate them I got food poisoning. It was the only thing out of the ordinary in the meal I had, so it had to be them. Staying away from them going forward.
I'm gonna say it was probably caused by another element of the meal that was not preserved in acid, salt and sugar.

Athlon

Powdered onion in a spice jar is a crime against humanity.
Fred is a decent player.....

tomaldinho1

Fred as an advanced CM will rocket in most fans’ estimations under RR.

Shaw is more of a problem for us than AWB.

Cavani being compared favourably to Ibra is actually bonkers when assessing their records here in isolation.

That’s shallot

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Monster munch don’t hit the same