Unpopular opinion - Daniel James is not very good

Carl S Bridge

Rashford started off as a kick and rush player with the head down. Took him a while to shake it off . James needs to do it fast and figure out something else but at the moment I’m struggling to see what he can actually bring to the team.
Rashford started as an ice cold finisher with good ball control and decent dribbling to say the least. James is none of these. He may very well be a decent player for United but I doubt it. At our peak Nani was a squad player and he is on a whole different level to James. Even when he signed for us at what 18 ? James is playing poor and looks like what he is ATM a championship or lower level premiership player who surprised people at start of season as they didn't know much about him. However it's hardly his fault were relying on him would much rather have Sanchez in team ATM and that should say something

elnorte

Freaky fly day
A player like Daniel James is a godsend for all those looking to have a good laugh at our expense.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Give the lad a chance FFS.

He's a kid, playing far more than he should be, in his first year at this level.

We're too dependant on him, but thats not his fault.

ManchesterYoda

He's a kid, playing far more than he should be, in his first year at this level.

A 22 year old kid. Like the 27 year old Lingard kid. The British adult kids.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
People need to wake up about how weak we are in attack. He's been better than anyone should have expected pre season but there's no way he should be first choice for a team aiming for top 4.

We wouldn't fear any side with a front 3/4 featuring a championship winger + Mata and Pereira next season would we?

Lyng

I really hope he doesn’t read this thread. One would think he was th main reason for United’s fall, judging by these posts. It’s his very first season for us and he is only 22.

In Rainbows

Of course hes not very good. Hes 22, in his first season in the top flight, and playing in a terribly disjointed team. I despair at some of our 'fans', desperate to either write players off or herald them as the next Messi. Give him a pre season and a half functional team and then make a judgement on him.
You say this like he didn't play in the Championship last season at age 20/21. He didn't dominate that league. Compare him with 19 year old Zaha in the Championship and it's clear that despite being at a younger age, Zaha had the better performance in the 2nd division.

I said this from the start. Why are people expecting he's some hidden gem of a player with so much talent waiting to be unleashed? It makes no sense. Honestly, what he's produced this season was beyond my expectations.

Eyepopper

A 22 year old kid. Like the 27 year old Lingard kid. The British adult kids.
Lingards a complete fecking fraud, he's 27. I dont see how he comes into a discussion about James.

James is 22, in his first year at this level, being played far too much.

If in a year or two he's not progressed, thats the time to question him.

If, in a year or twos time, we're still depending on him as a first team option then the question lies elsewhere.

Bojan11

Besides his pace, which he doesn't even use effectively, what's he good at?

Another player thrown into the deep end because we so eager to get some good british players. When a player like Rooney at 18 turns up then yeah you start him every game. We just do not learn our lesson. We did it with Shaw too, when we should have kept Evra around.

James is nowhere near good enough to start for us.

ManchesterYoda

Lingards a complete fecking fraud, he's 27. I dont see how he comes into a discussion about James.

James is 22, in his first year at this level, being played far too much.

If in a year or two he's not progressed, thats the time to question him.

If, in a year or twos time, we're still depending on him as a first team option then the question lies elsewhere.
Why does a player from the academy get 2-3 games at most to prove themselves, yet a player we sign gets 2-3 seasons to prove themselves? I don't need 2-3 seasons of James to know that he isn't good enough and never will be good enough. The reason is because he is so shit now that even if he improves somewhat, he still isn't good enough. We are not talking about a teenager. We are talking about a 22 year old. Lingard and Cleverley broke through as grown men. Neither were good enough. Lingard has always been shit yet we didn't get rid of him because the bar was low. The bar needs to be higher than Lingard at 22 and James at 22. Persisting with James, hoping he turns from shit to good, is a big mistake, just like it was with Lingard.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
He’s not a world class player by any means but he’s still a good player who happens to be low on confidence and is gassed out. He could do with some bench time in normal circumstances but the problem is that our whole squad and coaching staff are low on confidence.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Why does a player from the academy get 2-3 games at most to prove themselves, yet a player we sign gets 2-3 seasons to prove themselves?
Yeah, why is that? I've always wondered about that myself, never understood it. It's almost like it's completely made up.

Eyepopper

Why does a player from the academy get 2-3 games at most to prove themselves, yet a player we sign gets 2-3 seasons to prove themselves? I don't need 2-3 seasons of James to know that he isn't good enough and never will be good enough. The reason is because he is so shit now that even if he improves somewhat, he still isn't good enough. We are not talking about a teenager. We are talking about a 22 year old. Lingard and Cleverley broke through as grown men. Neither were good enough. Lingard has always been shit yet we didn't get rid of him because the bar was low. The bar needs to be higher than Lingard at 22 and James at 22. Persisting with James, hoping he turns from shit to good, is a big mistake, just like it was with Lingard.
You want to judge a young player after 2-3 games, good for you.

OK, let's feck off anyone who at 22 hasnt propelled themselves into b'allon dor reckonings after half a season in the PL.

Give him a chance is what I'm saying, not continue to see him as a youth prospect in 6 years.

ManchesterYoda

You want to judge a young player after 2-3 games, good for you.

OK, let's feck off anyone who at 22 hasnt propelled themselves into b'allon dor reckonings after half a season in the PL.

Give him a chance is what I'm saying, not continue to see him as a youth prospect in 6 years.
He's had a chance. I'm not saying feck off all players that aren't the best in the world at 22. I'm saying feck off all players that are shit at 22. There's a huge gap between best in the world and shit. The bar should not be set at shit. The bar should be set at good.
Greatest ever > best in the world > excellent > very good > good > decent > shit.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
James should be used as impact subs, he got great pace and can run at tired legs, but he isn’t good enough to start.

space

He is still young and will develop, I like him and he does try. Great squad player to have atm and I hope he keeps improving. Not his fault and I dont think he expected himself to be starting so much

E-mal

He is shit, no matter how you want to say it, that's what it is.
It is no fault of his that he is been relied upon for performances beyond his level.
Old and the management made their bed, hence they should lay on it.
Non of our front players are consistent enough but he is the worst of a bad bunch.

Will Singh

Another player dumped into the deep end and now feeling the pace. At this present moment I think the whole team is shit from top to bottom not a single player I can say anything good about that have played consistently. James started strong and has dropped 3 levels to where he was at the beginning!!!

Water Melon

Kick and run all he has to his game. Expecting him to be able to cross efficiently at that speed is insane. Is not a good dribbler, does not have a good weight on his pass either. Can not hold the ball up well.The more he sprints the faster he tires, which is natural. An okayish signing at best.

Mark Pawelek

People need to wake up about how weak we are in attack. He's been better than anyone should have expected pre season but there's no way he should be first choice for a team aiming for top 4.

We wouldn't fear any side with a front 3/4 featuring a championship winger + Mata and Pereira next season would we?
He played leftwing. He's not first choice on the left, Rashford is. Rashford's injury is the reason United are losing or drawing games lately.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Darn, he's been absolutely awful of late. The problem is that he's light as a feather. Forget close control and dribbling - he clearly doesn't have genuinely strong technical abilities or really needs to hone them.

But he, at the moment, isn't even able to take a defender on because even if gets half a yard they find it incredibly easy to brush him off/put him off balance. And he doesn't really know how to use his body. Unless he sorts this out, he's going to fail here and only pop up once in awhile when teams afford him space.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Kick and run all he has to his game. Expecting him to be able to cross efficiently at that speed is insane. Is not a good dribbler, does not have a good weight on his pass either. Can not hold the ball up well.The more he sprints the faster he tires, which is natural. An okayish signing at best.
Not that I want those sort of players at the club, but right now he isn't even an effective kick and run merchant because he's got the upper body strength of Huaf Mata. Seriously, look at all of these boring types - like Aaron Lennon. Average player but he knew how to use his burst of pace using his body to ward off opponents as needed. James from what I can see hasn't learnt that.

Or he's just in terrible form. Either way he needs to improve to at least be a decent squad player.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
His lack of physical strength has been exposed this year at the highest level, he started out well enough too make me believe there is something there. Even up until the Burnley game, since the turn of the year there has been a general downward swing in performances.

As has been alluded too, it is probably because he is being asked too play more than he should, given that and the fact he lost his Dad no more than 7 months ago, I would imagine that it is all still pretty raw, where he had the start of his United career too get him through the initial shock of it all, now his professional life has settled into a pattern it would be natural for him too start dealing with the loss on a deeper level around about now. Especially after his first holiday period without him.

At worst, he will be a long term versatile squad option. Which is good for £12mil these days.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His lack of physical strength has been exposed this year at the highest level, he started out well enough too make me believe there is something there. Even up until the Burnley game, since the turn of the year there has been a general downward swing in performances.

As has been alluded too, it is probably because he is being asked too play more than he should, given that and the fact he lost his Dad no more than 7 months ago, I would imagine that it is all still pretty raw, where he had the start of his United career too get him through the initial shock of it all, now his professional life has settled into a pattern it would be natural for him too start dealing with the loss on a deeper level around about now. Especially after his first holiday period without him.

At worst, he will be a long term versatile squad option. Which is good for £12mil these days.
Yeha his performance is in downward spiral. Ideally he should be used as sub against tiring defenders, playing him all the time doesn't help. He isn't ready, people forget this is his second season in his career.

passing-wind

:lol: in what way is 22 not considered young for a footballer ? Players tend to hit their prime around 26/27 James has plenty of time to develop and hone his craft but his lack of close control will only get him so far. I would look forward to seeing how all of our attacking players fair under a progressive attacking manager. It's amazing how much a system can cater for individual player development. Just look at Sterling since he's played for Pep he's overachieved In my opinion.

Asger

He is shit, no matter how you want to say it, that's what it is.
It is no fault of his that he is been relied upon for performances beyond his level.
Old and the management made their bed, hence they should lay on it.
Non of our front players are consistent enough but he is the worst of a bad bunch.
Its sad we havent had a good winger since Nani was sold. 5-6 years ago?!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Genuinely think he’s a right back at best. He’s a very vertical player with high speed and energy. Don’t see the quality to be part of a front 3 at this level. Overlapping and crossing is about it from what I see.
But he's so weak and doesn't have good positioning. Against Salah he caught up with him but then just fell of him. The slightest of nudges and he's down. Compare that to AWB defensively and how he bullies winger with his positioning and reaction and you'll see it's not a player you want anywhere near your defense.

It's not like he's good 1v1 or got a special cross on him so I really don't see why he'd be of any use as a right back. Better to hope when those counter-attack opportunties come against teams that aren't Burnley or Wolves that he's got the space to exploit that because that's the only time he shines.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He has a decent shot, a half decent cross and good pace and effort. But he has two glaring weaknesses; his use of his body and his football iq. I've been saying he needs a break for a while. He will never be a starter for us but hope he at least is good enough to come off the bench.

yamo123x

Simple facts

Is James good enough to be starting? NO
Do we have many more options? NO

Cant blame James that he has joined squad thin in quality and numbers, lacking confidence with a poor coaching team around him.

He has been thrust in and is out of his depth, there is no doubting this.

He can improve with good coaching and if he continues to work hard.

One thing ill say.in his favour, he tries hard, he looks enthusiastic and gives his all,.more than i can say for Martial

Untd55

I was thinking he would be a good bench option but now I am reconsidering. He is way too limited.

His only good attribute is acceleration, but he is not good at changing direction. That really limits his usefulness.

He is not all that fast in terms of top speed, either.

His crossing, shooting, passing and dribbling are almost non-existent.

In the end, we have a player who can accelerate fast in straight lines but is not fast enough to skin players at top speed. He is easy to disposes, weak, cannot pass, cross or shoot. Ultimately, he is a poor signing.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But he's so weak and doesn't have good positioning. Against Salah he caught up with him but then just fell of him. The slightest of nudges and he's down. Compare that to AWB defensively and how he bullies winger with his positioning and reaction and you'll see it's not a player you want anywhere near your defense.

It's not like he's good 1v1 or got a special cross on him so I really don't see why he'd be of any use as a right back. Better to hope when those counter-attack opportunties come against teams that aren't Burnley or Wolves that he's got the space to exploit that because that's the only time he shines.
There are many different types of full backs. He is similar to Max Aarons in stature, or the likes of Grimaldo etc. He’d be an attacking full back, but the point is, he doesn’t have the quality as part of a front three. But he’s rapid and vertical. Can only see that being of use coming from RB, where he’d just have to overlap/run straight and cross. It’s okay to be a kick and run full back, less so a forward.

youmeletsfly

People still think he "has time to develop".

If you don't have talent at 22, you won't have it at 26. Lingard is the best example.

Dunno when the standards dropped so much among the united fans. You've reached a point where you hope a lame championship player will "make it".
Club with low standards and fans with low standards. We deserve where we are.

Judas

Open to offers
He's still a championship player, wasn't going to be able to make the step up straight away. I'm willing to give him time, but its a damn shame he can't be more of a bench player, but we have so few options we're stuck starting him.

Devil81

This kid would struggle to get a start for any Premier League side, he's so limited in ability it's scary.

Personally I can only see one attribute that he has and that's pace and good top-flight defences just know how to defend against kick and rush players.

I'd be very surprised if he was seeing much first-team football next season, in fact, I'd be furious as it would mean we've not replaced a problem on the right-hand side of the field.

Thiagoal

He should be a sub and brought on against teams looking for a goal and attacking (leaving space in behind) It’s absolutely ludicrous starting him against teams that sit deep. He doesn’t have the guile or trickery needed to get past players in tight spaces! Problem is we have very few options!