Fairly mainstream opinion : Onana isn’t Fabrice Ondoa, or very good

Wolfbot

It was really poor goalkeeping, anyone denying that is blind or just didn't watch the game.
Was a looped up deflection so Morris had little chance of getting any power on the header.

1. Could have stayed on his line and had a better chance to save it, more time to react.
2. Could have come out and threw himself toward to ball, punching it or palming it away from Morris' head.
3. Could have got right out kind of like what he did but blocked it with his body had he been fast enough.

In the end he did none if those things and instead chose a weird star jump with the ball going pathetically through the gap under his arm. Really poor.

He's facing a lot of shots and can't be blamed for everything, he is conceding an alarming number of goals though that I feel a lot of other keepers would likely save and his attempts to keep them out go from the awkward to the ridiculous.

Going to need another new keeper unless he improves his judgement drastically if we want to achieve anything.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Not to mention how completely and utterly unprotected he's been:

Only the keepers for the two actual dirt worst teams in the league who are nailed on to go straight back down have had to make more saves. He's been playing behind fourth and fifth string defences and one man midfields. If he was half as bad as some of the people in here are saying, we'd have conceded about 60 in the league.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
As someone who hasn't watched all your games, I can't say I've noticed his distribution being particularly good (or bad).

Just focusing on that side of his game, has the passing from the goalie been a noticeable improvement on De Gea?

uwotm8

As someone who hasn't watched all your games, I can't say I've noticed his distribution being particularly good (or bad).

Just focusing on that side of his game, has the passing from the goalie been a noticeable improvement on De Gea?
It's marginal. The main difference so far is that Onana does not panic when receiving the ball to his feet and teams seem to respect that a bit more. Opposition rarely bother hard press him into a mistake which means that they stay back to try and block off his passing routes. His distribution has been ok, nothing particularly special; just as likely to make a great progressive pass as he is to knock it to the other team up the pitch.

The play from the back is obviously improved when Martinez and Shaw are fit as they are more comfortable with build up play but I think people have heard enough excuses for Erik.

Nicolarra90

Great goalkeeper would have anticipated the direction and maybe caught it or palmed it out although they might also suffer an injury due to a collision.

Onana did the safe option since united is already leading by 2 nil so he did a starfish save to prolong his career.
Somewhere else :lol:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

It's definitely better than De Gea, but not as good as what we hoped. He started well, but as his confidence probably dropped his distribution became more inconsistent. He plays some great balls that De Gea certainly wouldn't both short and long (he could easily have half a dozen assists from long balls over the top to Rashford and Garnacho if they had their finishing boots on), but in the last couple of months he's also been playing a surprising amount of balls straight out of play.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
No, it really hasn’t been noticeable. For someone billed as a sweeper keeper he has stayed glued to his line mostly.
On Sunday for example, the Luton keeper was coming out of his box and playing way higher than Onana.
Honestly, just focused on distribution I’d say he’s on par with DDG at this point.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
No, it really hasn’t been noticeable. For someone billed as a sweeper keeper he has stayed glued to his line mostly.
On Sunday for example, the Luton keeper was coming out of his box and playing way higher than Onana.
Honestly, just focused on distribution I’d say he’s on par with DDG at this point.
He has had a few games this season where’s he’s played brilliant passes forward and the attack has let him down. Seen nothing like his game against city in the CL final.

Plant0x84

This isn't true at all.
It’s my opinion. I haven’t been blown away by his passing, which is largely sideways to a defender or hoofed long out of play. I’ve seen him do one turn away from an attacking player which was decent, and maybe 2/3 long passes to Rashford.
He simply hasn’t been revolutionary to our playing style in the way we were told he’d be.

Remember the geese

It’s my opinion. I haven’t been blown away by his passing, which is largely sideways to a defender or hoofed long out of play. I’ve seen him do one turn away from an attacking player which was decent, and maybe 2/3 long passes to Rashford.
He simply hasn’t been revolutionary to our playing style in the way we were told he’d be.
He's miles better on the ball than De Gea. We very rarely get caught when playing out from the back, which wasn't the case at all at the beginning of last season. We even had to stop attempting to do it for large periods due to De Gea. Onana is much more composed when pressed. He's happy to draw players onto him and then play it around them to one of our defenders. He also hasn't benefitted from having Martinez consistently available for us. On top of that, on several occasions Onana has gone long and set up dangerous attacking possibilities. A very recent example was against Luton where he set Dalot free for a golden chance, who then attempted to round the keeper.

evil_geko

:houllier:

It's not even close, I sometimes wonder do people actually watch our games, madness.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Have you noticed he only does this shit when we’re playing decent or looking comfortable.

Aint gota Kalou

These kind of mistakes aren't that worrying, his ball playing isn't in doubt and every keeper makes the odd feck up. The actual goalkeeping ones are a bit more concerning...

David De Gea

Well never be a top team with this clown in nets. Honestly most keepers retire with a shorter blooper reel than he has put together in less than a season.

Sometimes it feels like the emperors new clothes when he makes a couple of standard saves (that often come off him at crazy angles - watch) and I come on here reading about how he's great and the last thing we need to change.

His number one job has to be keeping the ball out of the net and it's generous to say he's even average at that. He's a basket case and as someone who's always taken as much pleasure from seeing an amazing save as an amazing goal I cannot wait to see the back of him.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Well never be a top team with this clown in nets. Honestly most keepers retire with a shorter blooper reel than he has put together in less than a season.

Sometimes it feels like the emperors new clothes when he makes a couple of standard saves (that often come off him at crazy angles - watch) and I come on here reading about how he's great and the last thing we need to change.

His number one job has to be keeping the ball out of the net and it's generous to say he's even average at that. He's a basket case and as someone who's always taken as much pleasure from seeing an amazing save as an amazing goal I cannot wait to see the back of him.
Feel like you’ve got some skin in this game señor.

Ace

He's shambolic and will be quickly replaced by the next manager in due time. The only thing going in his favor is the fact that we have so many other areas that need addressing.

Wish we had a clause where we could show all of ETH's signings the door when he's dismissed. Unfortunately I think were going to be stuck with half a billion of wasted transfer budget and terrible players that no one is interested in buying.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I think those who have defended him at all times are blinded by his otherwise positive mentality, he seems to be truly dedicated to the club and team. But that alone doesn't make for the best player to take up the position unfortunately.

Adz_99

I'm not too worried about him. He's been a mixed bag this season but he's been peppered with 20+ shots per game so fans should cut him some slack.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
DDG was also terrible in his first season at the club. I think with a settled and better structured team ahead of him , he will turn out pretty good.

Least of our troubles.

Rojofiam

DDG was also terrible in his first season at the club. I think with a settled and better structured team ahead of him , he will turn out pretty good.

Least of our troubles.
You can't even say that Onana has been terrible this season. Agreed with the rest of your post. It's the truth. Don't let them silence you. :D

CloneMC16

@David De Gea with a fair, unbiased assessment.
:lol:

He's improved a lot since the new year, but he still has a major mistake in him every now and again. Hope he can improve on the mistakes. There is a good keeper there.

Onana basically getting us knocked out of the CL on his own is going to play heavily against him. I think he's been mostly good in the PL. He has made mistakes, but he's had so much to do in way too many games. Your keeper will make mistakes at some point if they're constantly being asked to make saves.

Last edited:

Plant0x84

You seem weirdly invested in him being a shit keeper.
Not at all, I have praised him when due - but across the season he has conceded a lot of unnecessary goals, dropped a lot of points for us, and it’s fair that that is discussed too.

What’s weird is how personally you take anyone posting badly about him. He isn’t going to shag you mate! :D