Fairly mainstream opinion : Onana isn’t Fabrice Ondoa, or very good

Sparky Rhiwabon

Outfield players.

Casillas was not top tier ball playing GK. Yet he's the GK for that dominant Spain NT. And they're still dominanting in possession, and not having the scare Victor Valdes occasional risky pass may bring. People are too blind by DDG shotstopping decline which exposing his other flaws even more that they' don't care about overall shot stopping. How thing is with Onana, we're stuck in middle of the road (even in funding other signing).

Not necessarily have to extend DDG. We could have got Raya. He's cheap enough and capable enough that we can wait for the super GK before committing huge sum.
Raya was the player I wanted at the sort of fee being talked about, but I was assured that we needed someone better than that

ti vu

I knew that he won't be anything special in the goalkeeping department like how DDG was, but really, even the calmness and ability to have the ball and pass to open players is looking to dissipate, corroded away from him bit by bit.

What happened to the player that was so calm and decisive, the same one that played in the UCL final?
Passing is team game, which demands a lot from outfield players, too. Also IMO transformative players are outfield players. Sure, Onana may be a huge upgrade on DDG in distribution when thing settles down in front of him, but the idea that a ball playing GK even one of the highest rated with their foot can suddenly make the whole team pass better from every area of the pitch is fantasy.

When a team pass well and dominate, they would prefer pinning the other team back, so however good the GK with foot, he is less involved. Ball playing skill is valued when opposition press high, and you take risk for high reward beating the pressing and exploit space. Not every team press high.

Raya was the player I wanted at the sort of fee being talked about, but I was assured that we needed someone better than that
There was no better option available even if we spend Onana fee last window. Some people just think Neuer, Allison level GK are abundant, that we just need to pay the cash whenever we like to pick one of them. Played right into Inter hand, where they don't need to spend that much or see much downgrade in Onana replacement.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
From what I’ve seen of Onana you would have been better going for Brice Samba, a fantastic shot stopper and brilliant with feet. Only down side is an occasional rush of blood to the head where he chins the opposition CF.

cj_sparky

I was trying to be a little patient. But he is looking quite poor, he keeps conceding goals I'd expect most keepers to save.

Jev

I genuinely want us to resign De Gea now. This guy is going to cost us so many point, he's comically bad at the most important job for a goalkeeper.

Lord of Blackhaven

He is absolute garbage. 200M wasted on him, Mount and Antony. This club is done.

Last edited:

mikeyt

Problem is we have another clown on the bench. Becoming difficult to support ETH's decisions currently

90 + 5min

Pretender. Pathetic

Shocking goalkeeper. Taibi looks like Schemichel if you campare them.

Castia

Another awful ETH signing to go with the rest of them

lilcurt

He is gonna cost ETH his job
Very possible.

It already feels like Onana is too far gone to save. He will struggle to regain the trust of fans and teammates which won't help his confidence. Becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Hopefully this is Ten Hags Claudio Bravo moment, problem is, Bravo was a cheap punt, Onana is one of the most expensive keepers in the world...

ReparableTrack0

I genuinely want us to resign De Gea now. This guy is going to cost us so many point, he's comically bad at the most important job for a goalkeeper.
Agreed. We need to bring him back. He is the best option on the market. It’s not an easy position to step in. Even De Gea had to go through the trial. Onana is not fit for the job. This isn’t going to get better.

Woodzy

He does barely make a save tbh, it’s quite worrying.

Really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

RORY65

He's great comedy currently but not definitely doing a great job. He's clearly a better keeper than this and the whole team is a mess currently but the data showed he's not a great shot-stopper or very willing to come off his line (I guess the data ignored that he used to play for Ajax which is a key quality) so it shouldn't be a huge surprise even if he is underperforming his usual standards.