Fairly mainstream opinion : Onana isn’t Fabrice Ondoa, or very good

Canuckred64

Seems to me that Onana has been good since this thread was started. Hats off to the starter of this thread for the reverse hexing.

bstb3

Looking a lot better of late. Adjusting well and considering the pressure he was under from a lot of angles, including some supporters, he's shown a lot of character - exactly what is needed for us. Long may it continue.

Chumpsbechumps

Seems to me that Onana has been good since this thread was started. Hats off to the starter of this thread for the reverse hexing.
Yeh It’s quite unusual for any Caf members to judge somebody over such a short period of time. There’s usually calm and Objective discussions on players and managers in here.

RedIan

As per the title.
I don’t give a shit about how good he is with his feet or if he can pass, his primary objective is to keep the ball out of the net and he can’t do it.
The commentary mentioned tonight it’s the first season since the 70’s when Dave Sexton was manager that we have conceded 3 or more in 3 consecutive games. It’s not good enough.

Discuss
premature it seems.

Mcking

Joint most cleansheets in the league.
Second best save percentage behind only Allison.
Second most saves made behind only Foderingham of Sheffield United.

Can't deny the De Gea apologists moved too soon on this one.

arnoldS

Lovely turnaround, very good performaces recently.

Seems to have a great mentality which is great. Really happy for him!

Stadjer

He also was never as bad as some (like the starter of the topic) made it out. They were comparing saves that Onana didnt make to the potential scenario that prime DDG might have made that save. Totally unfair because they were also ignoring DDG his flaws at the same time.

Onana made a huge error against Bayern but just the fact he didnt make any wonder saves yet was enough to claim that Onana isnt very good. A goalkeeper reaching the CL semi final with Ajax and reaching the final with Inter (while being the best goalkeeper that edition) most likely isnt a bad goalkeeper. Another situation where some very negative posters were writing off a new player after a few games for his new club, with new teammates in a new country.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Chances are he's top 5 for PSxG after this game, was 7th before GW13.

M Bison

Supports
York City

great stats those and delighted to read that. Was never a huge DDG fan but early in the season couldn’t help but question whether it was the right call. He’s getting better and better and you could see what he was doing early on, trying to kill the atmosphere by slowing it down which we couldn’t have done with Dave.

Nebel

He's been better in the last few matches. Also, cleansheet yesterday, happy for the lad.

I'm still not convinced that he's the right goalie for us, though.

But apart from when it's coming from the missus, I don't mind being proven wrong.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Joined 2nd for PSxG stat (level with Allison, behind Kaminski from Luton). Joined 2nd for clean sheets.

In a way I think he was a bit unlucky beginning of the season, now he's on the other side of things but it's remarkable how strong he is mentally.

I think it's a bit strange that he's kicking the ball forward to Rashford, Garnacho and Martial, doesn't seem like the best way to get the ball up the pitch. Looks like he's following the plan though, but I think with Mainoo and Shaw now we can play out from the back a bit more.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Always believed he has the mentality. Never in doubt. He's a player you know is going to make it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
As per the title.
I don’t give a shit about how good he is with his feet or if he can pass, his primary objective is to keep the ball out of the net and he can’t do it.
The commentary mentioned tonight it’s the first season since the 70’s when Dave Sexton was manager that we have conceded 3 or more in 3 consecutive games. It’s not good enough.

Discuss
Chat shit get banged.

twitter thread suggester
He still seems a bit erratic in his actions, and I can’t help but feel there’s a blunder right around the corner.

Mike Smalling

Things are beginning to look up after a rough start. I honestly thought we might have wasted a good chunk of money on a dud, but seems like he could come good.

I'm still a bit worried about his technique, though. Even for the double save that led to Mainoo's clearance, I think his first save should be parried further from goal to avoid the follow-up.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He still seems a bit erratic in his actions, and I can’t help but feel there’s a blunder right around the corner.
That’s just the way he plays, he looks nonchalant and invites pressure to open up the passing lanes he wants. He did a commendable job slowing the game down when Everton were building momentum by taking the ball, quieting everyone down and recirculating it.

sugar_kane

I'm just happy he's looking reasonably solid after the horrific start he had.

We don't need him to be world class right now, just not a liability as having a dodgy keeper sends fear through the whole team.

Drainy

Goalkeepers are funny. Any instability or uncertainty can seriously impact performance.

Obviously he could end up not good enough in the end but let's see how he does as he settles.

SER19

It still surprises me that people dont realise players can take a little time to settle. Even a few weeks doesnt seem to be allowed now

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I agree with this. I think he might just be one of those keepers who makes average saves look like worldies and keeps everybody nervous!
I think it helps that our defence has been more settled too, even if not the first choice players. Familiarity breeds confidence.
Credit where it’s due however, he’s made some important saves since his penalty stop.

Kaos

Delighted he's cemented himself. Made some crucial points winning saves for us lately and silenced doubters over his shot-stopping and presence in the box.

My only gripe is it seems his trademark strength - i.e his distribution, has been a little pants :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Yeh It’s quite unusual for any Caf members to judge somebody over such a short period of time. There’s usually calm and Objective discussions on players and managers in here.
Ah yes. Like Bebe. He played 1 official match and we wanted to send him back to Portugal already.
"Fergie signed him without even knowing who he is because Fergie is friends with Jorge Mendes"

Rojofiam

Delighted he's cemented himself. Made some crucial points winning saves for us lately and silenced doubters over his shot-stopping and presence in the box.

My only gripe is it seems his trademark strength - i.e his distribution, has been a little pants :lol:
Having Shaw and Martínez as passing options will make his job much easier, but the right side build-up will still be lacking until we find a new right footed centre back and/or right back. Maguire and AWB are decent options for now but we'll eventually need someone better with the ball.

Also, the outfield players themselves will need to learn where to move and position themselves when Onana has the ball, so that he can have more and better options if he wants to go long. If you watch footage of his distribution in ETH's Ajax, you'll see that he's up there with Ederson in this regard. Just hasn't been able to showcase all of it so far.

cyril C

Read from news that he dropped the Players' shirt and switch to Franchise shirt, apparently it was too tight.

Still don't know the difference, perhaps those received the post-match players' shirt can tell us.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
it’s almost like footballers are people and need a bit of time to adjust to new surroundings.