Unpopular Opinion - The Overrated N'Golo Kante

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I named him in that thread a while back about players who had 1 or 2 seasons of World class and then dropped back down to being simply a decent player.

He was on another level at one point, but he's been nowhere near it for a long while. Be that due to system or manager it doesn't stop it from being the truth.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If it was that easy everyone would do it
If they could run around as much yes

if you want to try to tell me that Kante is or was world class (he’s still late twenties isn’t he for the was) in another area than running and breaking up play go for it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
If he wins Euros with France this summer playing his actual position again, will he go back to being world class again?

There are different ways of winning football matches, not all players suit all systems of play.

Kante conundrum is really as simple as that. At Atletico or Inter he'd look world class as he does for France. Put Kante at Barcelona, City and similarly current Chelsea system and he's bang average at best.

Sarri played him higher up the pitch and never as the lone central midfielder and now hopefully everyone can see why ?
Every player that wins the euros is world class?

News to me.

hubbuh

He wasn't actually that bad against City. Kovacic was abysmal and then, worse, not bothered. So Kante was completely overrun. There isn't a midfielder in the world who could have taken on that packed midfield on their own, and he's not even a true DM.

That said, he's not the unstoppable force he once was any more. Fred is probably still Kante-lite, but not by much.
Absolutely no chance I'd swap Fred for Kante. He looks finito.

gajender

If it was that easy everyone would do it
It's not, but truth to be told Peak Kante absolutely got disproportionate amount of credit for his exploits while his midfield partners contributions were completely ignored , now he has declined but also doesn't have the suitable midfield pairing and it shows.

saivet

I think he's still a good player but he has dipped off the past couple of years. I also don't think he's ever been suited to being the anchor in midfield trio which is highlighting his decline in performance levels even more. All that being said, he's still one of the better midfielders in the league and a good player for Chelsea to have. Put him in a 4231 and I think he'd be better and would still get into a number of sides in the big 6.

El Jefe

If they could run around as much yes

if you want to try to tell me that Kante is or was world class (he’s still late twenties isn’t he for the was) in another area than running and breaking up play go for it.
Well running and breaking up play had him as the best CM in the league two seasons in a row and top 3 at the world cup. So maybe running and breaking up play isn't as insignificant as you think, even though everyone knows he's more than that.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Every player that wins the euros is world class?

News to me.
Can watch how he actually plays in his correct position and if they win... :confused:

Was he world class in the Leicester and Chelsea premier league title wins and the world cup? Playing his actual position.

Just don't get why everyone thinks he's suddenly changed when he's simply not playing the position he did in the teams he was successful with.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's been excellent in the earlier part of the season. Interesting that this thread wasn't bumped until a few weeks ago.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He's been excellent in the earlier part of the season. Interesting that this thread wasn't bumped until a few weeks ago.
He’s managed to dip even further, that’s probably why.

He’ll be in Serie A within 18 months

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Of course he was world class - backbone of two league winning teams and WC winners. He is not as good as he once was, but still one of the best in his position when used right.
His world class period was pretty short so it’s hard to tell if he was a world class player or just a player who had a purple patch of world class form. Between 2015 and 2017 he was fantastic. Obviously he has the 2018 WC in the bank too but I don’t think he was as great as people made out in that tournament. He’s definitely past his peak now at only 29 which is weird because he was a late bloomer too.

Overrated by whom?
https://www.givemesport.com/1569284...-a-better-player-than-a-prime-claude-makelele

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Well running and breaking up play had him as the best CM in the league two seasons in a row and top 3 at the world cup. So maybe running and breaking up play isn't as insignificant as you think, even though everyone knows he's more than that.
What is the ‘he’s more than that’

RUCK4444

What is the ‘he’s more than that’
An in form Kante offers more than just breaking up the play and winning the ball. He's quick and carries the ball forward very well which helps a lot on transitions, his passing is better than most realise and his work rate and engine are second to none. In form he's the best DM in Europe.

Although he is out of sorts this season.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
An in form Kante offers more than just breaking up the play and winning the ball. He's quick and carries the ball forward very well which helps a lot on transitions, his passing is better than most realise and his work rate and engine are second to none. In form he's the best DM in Europe.

Although he is out of sorts this season.
Thanks for answering for el jefe, I disagree he carries the ball forward very well, his passing 5 yards may be ok, then you go back to work rate and engine

Based Adnan

Always made me laugh when people said Kante should be sole DM with 2 CMs in front of him. He can't hold on his own and I think it's one of the main reasons he looks so poor now. He needs a partner next to him to be the shield whilst he can go running around chasing the ball.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Always made me laugh when people said Kante should be sole DM with 2 CMs in front of him. He can't hold on his own and I think it's one of the main reasons he looks so poor now. He needs a partner next to him to be the shield whilst he can go running around chasing the ball.
Exactly, yet you get fans clambering over getting ‘someone like Kante’ so we don’t need two dms like Fred and McTom.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's not, but truth to be told Peak Kante absolutely got disproportionate amount of credit for his exploits while his midfield partners contributions were completely ignored , now he has declined but also doesn't have the suitable midfield pairing and it shows.
Who deserved more credit? Drinkwater? Matic? Will.I.An?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
For me, it's all about how he is used. If it were up to me I would emulate AC Milan's line up from the 2000's and play a 4-2-3-1 with Kante in the Gatuso role and Jorginho in the Pirlo role. That would leave Havertz to play in the Kaka role. Either way, I don't think Chelsea's problems this year come down to Kante. I think the biggest problem is that they tried to impliment too many players into their first 11 this year. But give it time. With the talent they have I expect them to be challenging sooner rather than later...

prateik

He was unreal in the Leicester title winning season.. Ran around all game and managed to win the ball back cleanly all the time.. was crazy how good he was.
Steady decline in greatness since.. Was good for Chelsea when he first signed.. now just another decent midfielder ..

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Yeah, Kanté can only be effective in a very particular system and not many managers are going to build their side around a limited presser and tackler who offers little in the way of goals and assists. He’s always been a weird player but Ranieri’s Leicester and Conte’s Chelsea both suited him perfectly.

RUCK4444

Thanks for answering for el jefe, I disagree he carries the ball forward very well, his passing 5 yards may be ok, then you go back to work rate and engine
OK so your discussing a DM and slating the DM for being good at the main thing you want a DM to be good at? (ie tackling and winning possession.)

Even if he's just the best around at that one thing then it doesn't make him overrated.

That said, as I pointed out, I believe he offers more than just that side of his game. He's not Carrick when it comes to passing but he retains possession doesn't take risks and lose the ball like other DM's we are familiar with, neat and tidy passer and plays it forward more often than not. These traits result in us seeing the best of Pogba for France.

He's out of form currently, perhaps on the decline now, but the in form version of Kante is still better than any DM around. Who do you think is better?

NoLogo

He was unreal in the Leicester title winning season.. Ran around all game and managed to win the ball back cleanly all the time.. was crazy how good he was.
Steady decline in greatness since.. Was good for Chelsea when he first signed.. now just another decent midfielder ..
The decline imo started with Sarri didn't it? At least that was when I started to think, that he had been on a very lengthy form dip. Still think he could be great in a double pivot paired with Jorginho or Kovacic but maybe he just really declined over the last couple of season, that shit happens and his game required an ungodly amount of energy and stamina.

gajender

Who deserved more credit? Drinkwater? Matic? Will.I.An?
Maybe if you would have read my post properly it would have been easier to understand my point, Kante while being very good in those title winning seasons obviously better than his midfield partners still needed their stable midfield presence to show his best, hype surrounding him was way over the top during those seasons and now that he doesn't have midfield combination which brings out his best all kind of excuses are being made for him .

Hoof the ball

Kante. A physical beast who's glaring technical and passing deficiencies was always overlooked on the account of his predominate physical gifts. Physical decline just exposes what should have been obvious to most, but somehow wasn't, at the time.

Andersons Dietician

I’d have to agree with this. At his peak he was very impressive. Been for me a gradual decline ever so slightly, nothing drastic. He’s still a very good player and I like what he brings to those teams. Do have to wonder how he would be seen by United fans if he was actually playing in our midfield.

I’m sure Herrera was matching him for tackles and stuff when he was with us, and I think Fred has done similar or better numbers but these players were are often critiqued for not creating or passing forward enough. When as others have said Kante knows his strengths and would just pass the ball to a better passer than he. Nothing wrong with that either.

We as fans most likey see more of Fred, Herrera and the likes so are more aware and see the mistakes they make where we maybe don’t see or analyse Kante’ s game as much as we do our own players.

He was certainly top notch and easily the best in the world at what he did winning season and first season at Chelsea. Maybe people do give him more slack now due to his previous exploits.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Maybe if you would have read my post properly it would have been easier to understand my point, Kante while being very good in those title winning seasons obviously better than his midfield partners still needed their stable midfield presence to show his best, hype surrounding him was way over the top during those seasons and now that he doesn't have midfield combination which brings out his best all kind of excuses are being made for him .
Sheesh, I'm drinking, relax :D

But yes fair enough

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The decline imo started with Sarri didn't it? At least that was when I started to think, that he had been on a very lengthy form dip. Still think he could be great in a double pivot paired with Jorginho or Kovacic but maybe he just really declined over the last couple of season, that shit happens and his game required an ungodly amount of energy and stamina.
He starting having his first serious injury problems under Sarri that carried over into Lampard's first season. His physical metrics still look good; he covers plenty of ground and his recovery numbers are still excellent. The issue is that he just doesn't fit into a 3 man midfield. His biggest strength by far is his ability to press high up the pitch and still recover. From an attacking perspective, his best attribute is his ability to carry the ball forward at pace. Using his as a 6 thus nullifies the main things that made him a world class player while also making Chelsea's buildup very predictable. This season we've almost exclusively progressed via wide triangles between a fullback, the 8 on that side, and the winger. In the City match, for instance, Pep just had his wingers sit between our fullbacks and CBs so we were forced to go centrally, where Kante was so poor on the ball that City didn't even bother to press him - instead they just doubled up on pressing Silva.

Ideally he'd play in a midfield 2 alongside a sitting player who is able to cover defensively and is at least average at progressing the ball via passing. This way Kante can hare after the ball up the pitch whilst having sufficient cover in behind and can make up for his deficiencies in progressing the ball from deep by carrying it forward. It's this context that the Rice interest makes far more sense - right now we simply don't have a player who fits that bill (maaaaaaybe Billy Gilmour, but his physical limitations may prove troublesome in a pairing).

TrimiPejes

Man, I would love it if he was truely overrated so Chelsea would sell him. A 4-2-3-1 with Fred and Kante as the 2 holding mids and Bruno in front of them. Would be unbreakable :D

TrimiPejes

Relegate to that type of role? I'm not following here. We are talking about a midfielder who is approaching his 30's, whose biggest asset is his engine, and is starting to have a lot of injuries. This should be an automatic if you are going to get much more out of him. Scholes and Giggs didn't have the careers they had because they started every game once they got in their 30's. SAF was smart with them and saved them for the big games. "Relegating" Kante is 20-25 starts is exactly what he needs regardless of whether he likes it or not...
30 really isn't that old man. A normal human being reaches his prime between 28-32 so Kante's body is still up for it. He's almost 30 not 50

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
OK so your discussing a DM and slating the DM for being good at the main thing you want a DM to be good at? (ie tackling and winning possession.)

Even if he's just the best around at that one thing then it doesn't make him overrated.

That said, as I pointed out, I believe he offers more than just that side of his game. He's not Carrick when it comes to passing but he retains possession doesn't take risks and lose the ball like other DM's we are familiar with, neat and tidy passer and plays it forward more often than not. These traits result in us seeing the best of Pogba for France.

He's out of form currently, perhaps on the decline now, but the in form version of Kante is still better than any DM around. Who do you think is better?
I’m not slating him at all, just saying I didn’t think he was world class, he just had a two season flash where he run around like a demon winning the ball back while he had another dm with him, I’m saying There’s more to being a DM than just that especially if people are calling him one of the best ever premiership midfielders.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
30 really isn't that old man. A normal human being reaches his prime between 28-32 so Kante's body is still up for it. He's almost 30 not 50
When you're biggest asset is your engine 30 "can be" old. Sure, there are exceptions. Someone like Vardy doesn't seem like he's ever going to slow down. But your midfield is the engine of your team. Rotation is key and Chelsea have some depth in that department. I would just make sure then when rotating, Kante and Jorginho are available for the big matches...