Unpopular Opinion - The Overrated N'Golo Kante

hmchan

OK so your discussing a DM and slating the DM for being good at the main thing you want a DM to be good at? (ie tackling and winning possession.)

Even if he's just the best around at that one thing then it doesn't make him overrated.

That said, as I pointed out, I believe he offers more than just that side of his game. He's not Carrick when it comes to passing but he retains possession doesn't take risks and lose the ball like other DM's we are familiar with, neat and tidy passer and plays it forward more often than not. These traits result in us seeing the best of Pogba for France.

He's out of form currently, perhaps on the decline now, but the in form version of Kante is still better than any DM around. Who do you think is better?
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this. Being good at one thing doesn't make a player world-class, especially in modern all-round football and especially for a midfielder. No one is calling Chicharito world-class for his potent scoring and poaching ability; no one is calling Adama world-class for his pace and effectiveness taking on defenders. Similarly, I don't think Kante deserves to be regarded as world-class simply for his work rate and recovery.

As for what he offers in addition to that, I respect your opinion but like many others, I think he's very limited and deficient.

el3mel

Still not overrated by any means. He was absolutely exceptional during Leicester and Chelsea back to back titles. He just looks a shadow of himself currently. Not sure if the injuries and the high energy efforts he was playing with took their toll on him with time.

RUCK4444

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this. Being good at one thing doesn't make a player world-class, especially in modern all-round football and especially for a midfielder. No one is calling Chicharito world-class for his potent scoring and poaching ability; no one is calling Adama world-class for his pace and effectiveness taking on defenders. Similarly, I don't think Kante deserves to be regarded as world-class simply for his work rate and recovery.

As for what he offers in addition to that, I respect your opinion but like many others, I think he's very limited and deficient.
Who said he was 'world class' - the thread is about Kante being overrated. Peak Kante was not overrated, he was one of the key factors in Leicester winning the league.

Of course his major strength is winning the ball and breaking up the play, that's the primary thing you want your DM to do.

Peak Kante was the best DM in Europe, most would agree on that, by default that makes him world class. You can't be possibly the best player on earth in your position and not be world class.

Your examples of Chicharito and Adama were never discussed as being the best in their position, not even in their league never mind the world.

hmchan

After Sarri and Lampard had been widely accused for misusing Kante in a wrong role, Tuchel finally puts him in the right position - bench.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
After Sarri and Lampard had been widely accused for misusing Kante in a wrong role, Tuchel finally puts him in the right position - bench.
He has been injured and also under Lampard he was playing really well in the lone DM position with only Man City being hes poor game.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Look at the fixture list since Tuchel has come in. Wolves, Burnley, Spurs, Sheffield, Barnsley, Newcastle. All low block teams who sit deep, and it wasn’t necessary to start Kante in any of these matches when we’d have the majority of possession. Actually Barnsley were really the only team who pressed. The Kovacic-Jorginho pivot is also working fine so far for Tuchel.

Champagne Football

Kante was a force of nature for a few seasons, but seems to have burnt out a little.

Which makes Keano's reign all the more impressive considering he played at that intensity for a decade and dominated for a decade.

hmchan

Look at the fixture list since Tuchel has come in. Wolves, Burnley, Spurs, Sheffield, Barnsley, Newcastle. All low block teams who sit deep, and it wasn’t necessary to start Kante in any of these matches when we’d have the majority of possession. Actually Barnsley were really the only team who pressed. The Kovacic-Jorginho pivot is also working fine so far for Tuchel.
At least Tuchel has the sense not to start Kante against low block teams, as compared to Sarri and Lampard who play him the full 90 minutes even they'd have the majority of possession or they're desperate for a goal.

There is no surprise the partnership between Jorginho and Kovacic works well, as I've stated in my op Chelsea was having some great moments with this midfield, until the return of Kante disrupted the balance.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Kante was a force of nature for a few seasons, but seems to have burnt out a little.

Which makes Keano's reign all the more impressive considering he played at that intensity for a decade and dominated for a decade.
Keane was never a Kante like player either. This misconception of Keane being a ball winner in the middle is annoying. He was much more than that, he was more crucial with the ball.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
He has been getting lots of praise for last night game..

N'Golo Kante produces incredible highlights during semi-final
https://www.givemesport.com/1682716...oduces-incredible-highlights-during-semifinal

Kante delivers prime Eden Hazard dribbling stats against Real Madrid
https://talksport.com/football/872727/ngolo-kante-real-madrid-cesc-fabregas-chelsea-eden-hazard/

Cesc Fabregas' Tweet About N'Golo Kante's Performance Against Real Madrid Is Spot On
https://www.sportbible.com/football...-kantes-performance-against-real-mad-20210427

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

https://www.givemesport.com/1682716...oduces-incredible-highlights-during-semifinal

https://talksport.com/football/872727/ngolo-kante-real-madrid-cesc-fabregas-chelsea-eden-hazard/

Cesc Fabregas' Tweet About N'Golo Kante's Performance Against Real Madrid Is Spot On
https://www.sportbible.com/football...-kantes-performance-against-real-mad-20210427
I wonder if he was fasting yesterday. People who are travelling are usually permitted to skip the day. He was unreal as it is anyway, and I'm so pleased for him that he's showcasing this at the business end of the CL season. We're very lucky to have him.

hmchan

Like I've said from the very beginning, Kante's characteristics allow him to strive in big games. Problem is that he struggles to perform against smaller sides, which constitute 95% of the fixtures and have been gone unnoticed.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Kante suffered last season because he was injured then came back but wasn’t match fit then injured again etc.

Tuchel is doing a good job managing his fitness since he came in, doesn’t play him every game and probably helps him behind the scenes too.

Kante isn’t good at shooting and is average at passing but apart from Cristiano Ronaldo, tell me what footballer is good at almost every aspect of the game.

Kante disrupts opponents, forces errors, tackles, intercepts, blocks and covers a huge area of the pitch. Every team in the world is looking for a player like that. Your unlucky enough to have Fred. If you watch him and still think Kante is overrated your either brain dead or drunk.

Blzbud

Kante suffered last season because he was injured then came back but wasn’t match fit then injured again etc.

Tuchel is doing a good job managing his fitness since he came in, doesn’t play him every game and probably helps him behind the scenes too.

Kante isn’t good at shooting and is average at passing but apart from Cristiano Ronaldo, tell me what footballer is good at almost every aspect of the game.

Kante disrupts opponents, forces errors, tackles, intercepts, blocks and covers a huge area of the pitch. Every team in the world is looking for a player like that. Your unlucky enough to have Fred. If you watch him and still think Kante is overrated your either brain dead or drunk.
Easy enough mistake to make, of course, but also nice to see that hubris is alive and well.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
He's brilliant. Still the best in his role in the prem for me.

And the Fred v Kante thread/comparison, was just pure gold

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He had a good few years where his level dropped (people will argue it was due to being played out of position) but fair play he's been back to his best under Tuchel

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

Messi, prime Zlatan, Kane, prime Bale just off the top of my head.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Messi, prime Zlatan, Kane, prime Bale just off the top of my head.
Wouldn’t the rebuttal to that be that none of those players were particularly impressive defensively, at least not to the standard of Kanye? Even when Bale played as a fullback his qualities usually geared towards on the ball stuff opposed to what he did off it.

Not that I don’t think there aren’t players who excelled at every facet of the game.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Wouldn’t the rebuttal to that be that none of those players were particularly impressive defensively, at least not to the standard of Kanye? Even when Bale played as a fullback his qualities usually geared towards on the ball stuff opposed to what he did off it.

Not that I don’t think there aren’t players who excelled at every facet of the game.
Prime schweinstiger was pretty complete. (Shoutout to his world cup final performance)
Essien was really good both ways
Keane the same
Sensing a theme here with top class box to box players.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
At his best he’s a world class player. Any other opinion is asinine.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

Yeah of course but the person I quoted mentioned Cristiano Ronaldo and said 'apart from Ronaldo who else is good at nearly every aspect of the game'. So I mentioned others who are good at nearly every aspect. Bale is probably more so than any of the others I mentioned even Ronaldo as Bale used to be a full back.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yeah of course but the person I quoted mentioned Cristiano Ronaldo and said 'apart from Ronaldo who else is good at nearly every aspect of the game'. So I mentioned others who are good at nearly every aspect. Bale is probably more so than any of the others I mentioned even Ronaldo as Bale used to be a full back.
Ah gotcha, I missed the part where he mentioned Ronaldo.

Prime schweinstiger was pretty complete. (Shoutout to his world cup final performance)
Essien was really good both ways
Keane the same
Sensing a theme here with top class box to box players.
Essien was actually one of the players that came to mind, and Keane is a good shout.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Ah gotcha, I missed the part where he mentioned Ronaldo.

Essien was actually one of the players that came to mind, and Keane is a good shout.
Dani alves could run the whole flank in his prime
Phillip lahm too
They were pretty complete players.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Why do people do this to themselves? Why do they keep comparing players who have entirely different skillsets?

Kante is the glue that holds it all together for the teams he plays for.

Superb professional. No off-pitch troubles, humble. Basically any top manager's dream.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The fact that it takes almost a year to bump this thread kinda proves me right.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think the majority of the posts here tell a much different story than what you think. Much like the people that say that Bruno is not world class. There are many metrics that show that both Bruno and NGolo are in their respective positions.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I've seen this thread popping up on here last year but never properly read through so might do that in the next hour to have a chuckle.

Mad some people think he isn't that good....look at what he's won in last 5-6 years and been integral in all the teams he's played for! These are high level competitions aswell.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I've seen this thread popping up on here last year but never properly read through so might do that in the next hour to have a chuckle.

Mad some people think he isn't that good....look at what he's won in last 5-6 years and been integral in all the teams he's played for! These are high level competitions aswell.
If he wins the cl and euros with France he's wrapped up all the major trophies.