Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Erm, I don't think what happened in that movie still qualifies as 'bromance'. :lol:
2 bros having a romantic night in a tent, that's a bromance.

I haven't seen the movie though.

RedMilo

We've won two, drawn one and haven't conceded a goal yet we're getting posts like this :lol:
Are you enjoying the matches? Do you think we are convincing? Are we title contenders? Were we right to pass up on Pedro? Would we have signed a world cup winning captain in his prime? Have we spent the money well? I am not convinced by LVG at all and I dont think we will finish above any of Arsenal, Chelsea or City with the squad as it is & I dont like LVG's tactics either but each to their own, if you think the club is in a good state.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think bromance is more of a none physical relationship. A bit of a hug and possibly a casual arm over the shoulder in a social situation. No tongues.
Hugs in public are definitely physical relationships, arm over the shoulder, you are just drunk.

Brightonian

Haven't been on the caf much since the draw so this is an educated guess, but... I thought we were very good indeed against Newcastle and can basically consider that a freak result. Nineteen times out of twenty that performance produces a win.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Are you enjoying the matches?
They're probably not much fun for the neutral but there's plenty of positives that I'm enjoying seeing. I don't spend the whole of a football match going "WHY ARE WE NOT SHOOTING OR CONTINUALLY ATTACKING THEIR BOX?" like some people seem to.

Do you think we are convincing?
Definitely. We've conceded 6 shots on target over the course of 4 games. We've won 3 and drawn 1 conceding just one flukey own goal. You don't get a record like that without dominating the matches.

Are we title contenders?
Absolutely. Only City look better at this point (you'd have to actually watch football rather than look at team sheets to recognise this)

Arsenal lost 2-0 to West Ham and limped past Crystal Palace.

Chelsea have conceded 7 goals in 3 games and look an absolute shambles at the back, a 2-2 home draw with Swansea?

... yet everyone assumes that Arsenal and Chelsea are just a bit sluggish in the early season (an excuse United aren't allowed) and are going to kick into gear and blow us away.

What's to say that our attackers aren't going to find form soon and put games to bed? We have Rooney, Depay, Mata, Januzaj, Fellaini, Herrera, Hernandez and Young with Wilson and Periera on the fringes, it's a talented group and the play behind them has been excellent, I think it's only a matter of time before it clicks up front and teams struggle to contain them.

The moaning this season reminds me of what Ferguson said of Van Nistelrooy's impatience. He didn't want to hang around and wait for Rooney and Ronaldo to mature which he wouldn't have had to wait long for. How about the same patience is shown to Januzaj and Depay. Maybe Van Gaal recognises the potential in them and feels that they need game after game to kick on rather than sitting on the bench behind someone like Pedro.#

There was a time when United fans prided themselves on the way we cultured our young players while now we want proven starts to take their place and at the same time moan that the club has lost it's identity.

If you're having trouble taking pleasure from United's game, how about trying to take a bit of pleasure from watching two great young players at the start of their journey? Three if you include Shaw which I certainly do.

Were we right to pass up on Pedro?
I have absolutely no idea. Not a clue and neither does anyone else at this point. Even if he does well at Chelsea it's not to say he would have been right for us nor that his arrival wouldn't have got in our young players way.

Would we have signed a world cup winning captain in his prime?
You're describing all of 5 players that have existed over the last 20 years and none of them signed for anyone as a "World Cup Winning Captain in their prime" so I'm not exactly sure what the criteria is of a club that does that. The closest would be Real Madrid paying €7m for Cannavaro who was 33 at the time and left a just relegated Juventus.

Have we spent the money well?
Ander Herrera - Fans Favourite, excellent player.
Luke Shaw - starting to prove his talent and is still barely 20 years old.
Marcos Rojo - Had a few injury concerns and doesn't look nearly as good at LB than CB but he was solid enough last season.
Angel Di Maria - The less said about the better, we recouped £45m of it though.
Daley Blind - great signing and for an absolute steal. Loving having his ball playing quality at CB.
Memphis Depay - Time will tell how good he can become but I think he'll prove a bargain at under £25m.
Falcao - A loan move, relatively risk free on the financial front and it didn't work out. There weren't too many rivals who could honestly say his signing didn't worry them.
Matteo Darmian - Excellent buy, great price.
Bastian Schweinsteiger - Bastian fecking Schweinsteiger. He already looks like the leader we needed out on the field.
Morgan Schneiderlin - A signing everyone wanted and we got for a sensible fee.
Sergio Romero - Who knows? 1 goal conceded from a stupid deflection off Carrick and 3 clean sheets. Some nervous moments but its a hugely pressured job and any keeper would take time to adjust.

I am not convinced by LVG at all and I dont think we will finish above any of Arsenal, Chelsea or City with the squad as it is
We came fourth, winning 5 and drawing 3 against the other Top 6 sides.

We've fixed our weakest areas from last season:
Right back, Darmian over Valencia should be a big improvement.
Midfield: When Carrick was out we struggled badly with control in the middle and even played Rooney and Herrera as DM's. We now have Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger to ease the burden. A huge improvement and a major issue plugged.
Left wing: We had the industrious Young, we now have the exciting Depay.
Having Blind move to CB from midfield has also strengthened that position. He's looked excellent so far and alongside Smalling we have a very good back four with very good protection.

& I dont like LVG's tactics either
As he says and gets mocked for "it's a process". He's built fantastic foundations and in my opinion it's a matter of time before the attacking talent we have start to click and roll teams over. One thing I'm certain of is that we won't be losing many games this season and that will do wonders for the chemistry and confidence of this squad.

but each to their own if you think the club is in a good state.
I think we're in a great state. Rome wasn't built in a day, it's been a year since he has been here and he's hit the targets so far. I expect us to just keep on improving. Anyone that can't see the improvement since he came in is either kidding themselves or has a very short memory.

prath92

2 bros having a romantic night in a tent, that's a bromance.

I haven't seen the movie though.
They had romantic feelings for each other. Meaning they aren't bros. or if they were then it would be incest and not bromance.

Sorry but interpreting the sections and provisions in my corporate taxation paper has got me interpreting everything in 10 different ways :p

prath92

Are you enjoying the matches? Do you think we are convincing? Are we title contenders? Were we right to pass up on Pedro? Would we have signed a world cup winning captain in his prime? Have we spent the money well? I am not convinced by LVG at all and I dont think we will finish above any of Arsenal, Chelsea or City with the squad as it is & I dont like LVG's tactics either but each to their own, if you think the club is in a good state.
Arsenal barely won one and would do well to beat Liverpool tomorrow. Chelsea are ridiculously poor defensively for a top team.

JoaquinJoaquin

Absolutely. Only City look better at this point (you'd have to actually watch football rather than look at team sheets to recognise this)

Chelsea have conceded 7 goals in 3 games and look an absolute shambles at the back, a 2-2 home draw with Swansea?

... yet everyone assumes that Arsenal and Chelsea are just a bit sluggish in the early season (an excuse United aren't allowed) and are going to kick into gear and blow us away.

What's to say that our attackers aren't going to find form soon and put games to bed? We have Rooney, Depay, Mata, Januzaj, Fellaini, Herrera, Hernandez and Young with Wilson and Periera on the fringes, it's a talented group and the play behind them has been excellent, I think it's only a matter of time before it clicks up front and teams struggle to contain them.

The moaning this season reminds me of what Ferguson said of Van Nistelrooy's impatience. He didn't want to hang around and wait for Rooney and Ronaldo to mature which he wouldn't have had to wait long for. How about the same patience is shown to Januzaj and Depay. Maybe Van Gaal recognises the potential in them and feels that they need game after game to kick on rather than sitting on the bench behind someone like Pedro.#

There was a time when United fans prided themselves on the way we cultured our young players while now we want proven starts to take their place and at the same time moan that the club has lost it's identity.

If you're having trouble taking pleasure from United's game, how about trying to take a bit of pleasure from watching two great young players at the start of their journey? Three if you include Shaw which I certainly do.

I think we're in a great state. Rome wasn't built in a day, it's been a year since he has been here and he's hit the targets so far. I expect us to just keep on improving. Anyone that can't see the improvement since he came in is either kidding themselves or has a very short memory.
No offence mate but absolutely no way are we contenders for the title with the squad as is. While we cannot break teams down that will always be the case.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
No offence mate but absolutely no way are we contenders for the title with the squad as is. While we cannot break teams down that will always be the case.
How about applying the same harsh analysis to the teams our fans seem to think are going to run away from us:

A Chelsea team that draws 2-2 with Swansea, gets smashed 3-0 by City and concedes 2 against West Brom off the back of a preseason where they lost all but one game and shipped 9 goals in 5 games if you include the Community Shield. That's 16 goals they've conceded in their last 8 games.

Arsenal lost convincingly to West Ham and scraped past Crystal Palace. Their only DM is a liability and only actual striker is injury prone and they don't look like making any more signings.

City are the only ones that actually look convincing in all areas right now.

Devil may care

The defensive organization is excellent but unless we get another source of goals in by the end of the transfer window we won't turn enough clean sheets into wins to make the top 4.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Actually think we will finish 4th if nothing changes. I think Rooney will improve

But my unpopular opinion is. Pedro could have made us actual title contenders

Lentwood

They're probably not much fun for the neutral but there's plenty of positives that I'm enjoying seeing. I don't spend the whole of a football match going "WHY ARE WE NOT SHOOTING OR CONTINUALLY ATTACKING THEIR BOX?" like some people seem to.

Definitely. We've conceded 6 shots on target over the course of 4 games. We've won 3 and drawn 1 conceding just one flukey own goal. You don't get a record like that without dominating the matches.

I have absolutely no idea. Not a clue and neither does anyone else at this point. Even if he does well at Chelsea it's not to say he would have been right for us nor that his arrival wouldn't have got in our young players way.

You're describing all of 5 players that have existed over the last 20 years and none of them signed for anyone as a "World Cup Winning Captain in their prime" so I'm not exactly sure what the criteria is of a club that does that. The closest would be Real Madrid paying €7m for Cannavaro who was 33 at the time and left a just relegated Juventus.

Marcos Rojo - Had a few injury concerns and doesn't look nearly as good at LB than CB but he was solid enough last season.
Daley Blind - great signing and for an absolute steal. Loving having his ball playing quality at CB.
Memphis Depay - Time will tell how good he can become but I think he'll prove a bargain at under £25m.
Falcao - A loan move, relatively risk free on the financial front and it didn't work out. There weren't too many rivals who could honestly say his signing didn't worry them.
Bastian Schweinsteiger - Bastian fecking Schweinsteiger. He already looks like the leader we needed out on the field.
Sergio Romero - Who knows? 1 goal conceded from a stupid deflection off Carrick and 3 clean sheets. Some nervous moments but its a hugely pressured job and any keeper would take time to adjust.

Midfield: When Carrick was out we struggled badly with control in the middle and even played Rooney and Herrera as DM's. We now have Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger to ease the burden. A huge improvement and a major issue plugged.
Having Blind move to CB from midfield has also strengthened that position. He's looked excellent so far and alongside Smalling we have a very good back four with very good protection.

As he says and gets mocked for "it's a process". He's built fantastic foundations and in my opinion it's a matter of time before the attacking talent we have start to click and roll teams over. One thing I'm certain of is that we won't be losing many games this season and that will do wonders for the chemistry and confidence of this squad.

Agree with everything.

Red-Jeff

This should just be a sticky that everyone is required to read titled: Have a little patience you spoiled twats.

JohnnyLaw

Gareth Bale is seriously overrated on this forum and signing him would NOT make us a shoe-in for the title seeing as he won a grand total of Zero league titles himself.[/QUOTE]

How is that relevant? He's played for Southampton and Tottenham and against Barcelona.

Last edited:

khoazany

The defensive organization is excellent but unless we get another source of goals in by the end of the transfer window we won't turn enough clean sheets into wins to make the top 4.
We're gonna make Top 4 regardless.I don't see any team other than City,Chelsea or Arsenal that looks like they have enough in them to stay a decent chance of finishing above us.

204Red

Signing Bale or Neymar or Muller for a record fee would be a huge mistake, and (other than Muller) wouldn't really address what the club actually needs. Save the galacticos for the all white circus in Madrid... that's not what United is all about.

And if we did, then there would be the inevitable problem of trying to shoehorn Rooney into the side, displacing someone better at his position just for the sake of playing him.

RedMilo

I have got to hand it to you, its a very good try lol... The positives are we have a good full backs again & our centre midfield hasn't looked this strong since 2008 ala Carrick, Hargreaves & Scholes. But we haven't dominated matches at all, there is no speed of passing or fluency in our attacks and other then v Brugge, who were as open as a whores well, we look devoid of ideas and creativity in the final third, and that is down to the money spent and the way the manager sets us up, its very wooden.

You mention one of our best players Ander but doesn't even get used.

Fans call people like me who dont think things are on the up, spoiled and have no patience, but even before the Fergies successful years United always had flair players, Im thinking Best, Coppell, McIllroy, Robson i.e. players who can inspire rather than this one dimensional shite LVG has got us playing. I am surprised Giggs wants to be of part of such tactics, he knows better than anyone what is expected from a Utd team. If the ball gets played to Mata or Young 99 times out of 100 they will cut in & Rooney has lost that burst & we have got to the stage where he is our only recognised striker. The fans are calling for Fellaini, like he is our feckin saviour, how the mighty have fallen.
I will leave you to your positive outlook, the fact is though unless we strengthen in attack at least, we cant hope for better than 4th & we will struggle to break teams down. If thats improvement then yeah I agree...

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

Ive heard this quoted multiple times..but which youngsters exactly would Pedro have prevented from playing? Seeing as neither Perreira or Januzaj preferred position is wing with them being played at 10, and LVG has shown a reluctance to play them there..He tried that with Adnan, and then left it.... so Pedro would be competing with Mata who isnt exactly a youngster..

United fans complaining about a manager playing dull football isnt a new phenomenom either..Dave Sexton wasnt helped by that either and played a part in him losing his job....

And people keep bringing up Lvg's great past record as a way of calling for the ultimate patience to be given to him..but if you are going to use that as a defense, you cant just pick the good parts of it..You should also acknowledge that when he has failed( and he has done plenty of times)..He tends to fail spectacularly..17th with Barca, struggling to qualify for the UCL with Bayern, and failing to qualify for the world cup against Mick McCarthy's Ireland..why cant we use that as a barometer of him? I learnt my lesson with Moyes, any manager should not just be followed blindly..

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

santeria13

Sublemon
Van Gaal is a good manager and am fully behind his decisions despite not agreeing or understanding them all. The man has worlds of experience and no manager is not guilty of getting things wrong every now and then. I would argue he has done a lot more right than wrong for that matter.

Would elaborate but @Pexbo has done it better than I ever could. There has been an improvement and so far he has achieved what has been expected. A lot of people are acting like we've already finished 5th. It's alright to moan and criticize but it's been quite OTT lately and hence why I am posting this view on this thread.

JohnnyLaw

Fans call people like me who dont think things are on the up, spoiled and have no patience, but even before the Fergies successful years United always had flair players, Im thinking Best, Coppell, McIllroy, Robson i.e. players who can inspire rather than this one dimensional shite LVG has got us playing. I am surprised Giggs wants to be of part of such tactics, he knows better than anyone what is expected from a Utd team. If the ball gets played to Mata or Young 99 times out of 100 they will cut in & Rooney has lost that burst & we have got to the stage where he is our only recognised striker. The fans are calling for Fellaini, like he is our feckin saviour, how the mighty have fallen.
I will leave you to your positive outlook, the fact is though unless we strengthen in attack at least, we cant hope for better than 4th & we will struggle to break teams down. If thats improvement then yeah I agree...
If Di maria hadn't been such a feckup and pussy we'd have him and Depay on the wings, how's that for flair? They're the most exciting signings in that regard that we've made since Ronaldo and Nani, if anything LvG is rectifying this very issue that's just been allowed to grow ever since Ronaldo left.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

A truly fantastic post and 100% correct on every point

RedMilo

If Di maria hadn't been such a feckup and pussy we'd have him and Depay on the wings, how's that for flair? They're the most exciting signings in that regard that we've made since Ronaldo and Nani, if anything LvG is rectifying this very issue that's just been allowed to grow ever since Ronaldo left.
Di Maria should have been given a 2nd season but thats the manager for you, the jury is still out on Depay, personally I dont think he will hit Ronaldo heights and as for Nani, I dont understand why the club gave him a long term deal last year only to sell him this year. It's very strange. I would like to see someone like Isco bought in if possible, who will bring some guile and creativity to our attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.