Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seveneric

The romance of Man United is hyped up by the media and fans, I don't think that it has a big pull when a player has a choice between us and another club.

Of course very few players join a club because of "romantic notions" when they're offering less than other clubs, has anyone actually argued that? However, if United and other clubs are in for a player and everyone was offering the same terms, the player would pick United except if the other clubs were maybe RM, Barcelona or Bayern as those are probably the only clubs that have a bigger pull.

bobbyf

Smalling, Jones and Evans aren't good enough.
Really? But season 2011/12 proves you wrong. Vidic was out for 7 months of it, and we threw away the league and lost on goal difference. So those players with Rio were our defence and yes, it was under a top manager. But still, not bad for a team with a crap defence and midfield, apparently. Maybe they are better than people think. And judging those players on just this season is ridiculous cos they've lost a lot of confidence playing under Moyes. Let's see if they do better under another top manager.

manutddjw

I'm disappointed in Welbeck's comments about playing on the wing. He was wrong and ungrateful, and should consider himself lucky that by playing on the wing, he made himself an unquestioned starter in our big games.

We're idiots for not going all out for Fabregas.

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Our wingers are shite, our LB is old, the rest of the defence are injury prone. The midfield is a bit wank obviously.

We need 4 or 5 signings. LB, CB, CM, CM, Forward/Winger.
Ok, fair enough about the left back point, as for centre half I think we have the base of a very good partnership with Smalling, Jones and Evans (just take your pick with any combination) they just need to have a consistent run of games. We may need to sign a central defender to cope with injuries or promote from within.

Yes, we need central midfielders, by having good central midfielders who can control a game we can actually bring our attacking players into the game. It can also help us to speed up the play, rather than having a slow, lethargic build up. IMO the central midfielders have been weak defensively as well, always vunerable to a counter attack due to a lack of speed and mobility. Also lacking a natural ball winner.

The wingers are not that bad, i believe that Valenica is just low on confidence after a poor season, he still has the ability to be effective, and for the left wing we have Januzaj. But i suppose this depends on the formation that LVG wants to play.

Why would we sign another forward? We struggle to fit the forwards we have now into a system. Who would you want us to sign?

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
Ok, fair enough about the left back point, as for centre half I think we have the base of a very good partnership with Smalling, Jones and Evans (just take your pick with any combination) they just need to have a consistent run of games. We may need to sign a central defender to cope with injuries or promote from within.

Yes, we need central midfielders, by having good central midfielders who can control a game we can actually bring our attacking players into the game. It can also help us to speed up the play, rather than having a slow, lethargic build up. IMO the central midfielders have been weak defensively as well, always vunerable to a counter attack due to a lack of speed and mobility. Also lacking a natural ball winner.

The wingers are not that bad, i believe that Valenica is just low on confidence after a poor season, he still has the ability to be effective, and for the left wing we have Januzaj. But i suppose this depends on the formation that LVG wants to play.

Why would we sign another forward? We struggle to fit the forwards we have now into a system. Who would you want us to sign?
I meant like a wide forward. Draxler, Griezmann, Reus etc as apposed to a natural winger ie Robben

Drummer

Unpopular opinions:

1. It's been a long time since united played football the supposed united way...

2. Players don't necessarily view united as a massive club that they dream of playing for...

3. Most players mercenaries... Why some people idolise players like Rooney who has zero allegiance is mindboggling..

4. Players kissing the badge means nothing...

5. Nani is a show pony who has regressed since his best season due to injury and questionable application...

6. As much as I love the actual sport of soccer, it's a corrupt , horrible game in the professional arena...

7. Players get paid too much.. They get paid the going rate but I only care about the good of the game and would prefer to see more funds invested back in the sport...

francobaresi

The only genuine quality in our squad is De Gea, Mata, Rooney, Januzaj and Van Persie

The rest are average at best

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
The only genuine quality in our squad is De Gea, Mata, Rooney, Januzaj and Van Persie

They are the only players any top club would be interested in. The rest wouldn't even register on their radar.

NoPace

Kagawa and Rafael are both players who`d look a lot better on a more fluid team, and would be thought of as quality.

psychdelicblues

United have the worse crop of wingers in the clubs recent history. Apart from Januzaj, they all need to be shipped out. Valencia has had 2 poor seasons in a row, not one.

An Irish Red

Liverpool are not going to fade away, despite everyone saying they will struggle with the extra games, in my opinion they will be stronger.
Probably unpopular but I don't think their squad is all that. I think it's just set-up to get the best out of Suarez and last season his brilliance dragged other players along with him.

I think how well they do next year is entirely dependent on him staying.

Sir A1ex

Unpopular opinions:

1. It's been a long time since united played football the supposed united way...

2. Players don't necessarily view united as a massive club that they dream of playing for...

3. Most players mercenaries... Why some people idolise players like Rooney who has zero allegiance is mindboggling..

5. Nani is a show pony who has regressed since his best season due to injury and questionable application...

6. As much as I love the actual sport of soccer, it's a corrupt , horrible game in the professional arena...

7. Players get paid too much.. They get paid the going rate but I only care about the good of the game and would prefer to see more funds invested back in the sport...
I don't think you've understood the thread... most of those are Redcafe 101!

JefferiesTube

Nani is one of our best players. We have lots of quality players in our underrated squad and can win the Premier League and FA Cup next season even if we were to buy no players. The tactics and coaching are the problem, not the standard of our players.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Valencia will again be a fixture in the starting side next season and most on here will continue to question why even if he has a decent season. He's not that bad IMO, his decision making went to shit a bit but he's incredibly reliable, almost always fit, a physical beast and can hold the ball up really well. Give him players around him who will get the ball to him quickly and let him run at the defenders and he'll be good again. Our slow style of play hurt literally everyone, especially the wingers (hence why they've all suddenly turned shit the last 2 years), apart from Carrick and he's the main problem as to why we play so slowly.

None of our center backs will ever become key players for United. Same with Welbeck.

We could win the title and have a brilliant first 11 just by signing 3 first team quality players: 1 center back and 2 midfielders. Next season a left back will be needed but Evra could still do for next year.

JefferiesTube

Play Valencia as attacking RB in 30+ games next season and he will deliver strong performances, contributing to both attack and defense. Playing the role like Cafu.

Moby

Dick
Giggs didn't get better with age
Is the opposite of that even a popular opinion? Giggs has been praised of keeping a level much higher than you would expect and what we see from most players into their late 30s, having said that his peak was always down the left wing over a decade ago and no one argues against that.

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
United have the worse crop of wingers in the clubs recent history. Apart from Januzaj, they all need to be shipped out. Valencia has had 2 poor seasons in a row, not one.
With a quicker tempo, better tactical setup and confidence I think Valencia can get back to his best and that can be a real driving force for us.

Probably unpopular but I don't think their squad is all that. I think it's just set-up to get the best out of Suarez and last season his brilliance dragged other players along with him.

I think how well they do next year is entirely dependent on him staying.
Agree with your point about Suarez, the system got the best out of him. But the system also got the best out of Sterling, Sturridge and Henderson as well, a major contributing factor to the reason they did well.

With the right signings Liverpool could do well next season. Majority of people on here seem to think they'll fall out of the top 4 and we will slide straight back in.

JefferiesTube

I would disagree and say United have the worst crop of central midfielders in recent history, especially now Giggs has gone. I would rather we keep Carrick and ship out all the other CMs. Due to Carrick's age I wouldn't stop him being replaced either, but he is our best CM and can form a strong midfield with the RIGHT partner. Someone who is good defensively and strong attacking. Fix the midfield and all the wingers will improve, including Januzaj.

Don16

Annoying cnut
My unpopular opinion is anybody in the UK or Ireland who refers to the premiership as "The EPL" deserves a clatter.

Also, I really don't rate Diego Costa, and think Atletico getting £32 million is a cracking deal for them.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Unpopular opinions:

Who actually likes this practice. A pretty popular opinion I think.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
We will struggle to make top 4 should we fail to strengthen with top quality players. Chelsea look to have already signed 2 top players and now Luis is looking more and more likely. Arsenal and Liverpool are also under way to bring a few players in and let's not even start talking about Manchester City. They can sign anyone if they offer enough cash and they have a lot of it. This is a make or break season for us, a season that will define our medium-term future. The longer you stay out of top 4, the harder it will be to get back in.

Manucho the boss

I'm worried that we'll fall short and end up finishing in the Europa league spot next season and that's me assuming we have Shaw in the bag, and an additional world class cm and cb.

I can see Pochetino getting a lot more from the Spurs squad than AVB or Sherwood could.

Liverpool prob the youngest team in the league and Rodgers is still learning and improving.

Arsenal had crazy injury problems yet still held top spot for 2/3rds of the season, Wenger with a new contract and renewed vigour.

Chelsea went to City and really outplayed them, massive warning sign about what they're building. Firmly believe if they had a striker worth his salt they'd have walked the league with their record v their rivals.

City already have the best squad and no doubt they'll add to it. The likes of jovetic, Navas and Nastasic will be better.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We may struggle to get into the top 4 next season.
If we won't buy a proper midfielder, we won't get into top 4. I will put my money on that on some betting site. This is undoable with our current crop of midfielders, no matter how good the rest of the team is.

JefferiesTube

My unpopular opinion is anybody in the UK or Ireland who refers to the premiership as "The EPL" deserves a clatter.

Also, I really don't rate Diego Costa, and think Atletico getting £32 million is a cracking deal for them.
I don't think any of the Atletico Madrid team are worth £32 million. They are like the Borg Collective. They work well as a team and the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, but if you take one of them out they return to being an individual. That individual becomes lost without the rest of the collective and the Borg Queen Simeone.

Manucho the boss

I don't think any of the Atletico Madrid team are worth £32 million. They are like the Borg Collective. They work well as a team and the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, but if you take one of them out they return to being an individual. That individual becomes lost without the rest of the collective and the Borg Queen Simeone.
They aren't the only ones that are lost. I think Costa will suit their style extremely well, he'll win lots of fouls high up the pitch and has pace to play on the break, allowing Chelsea to defend deep which they're excellent at.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust

is this really unpopular?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think the fans will turn on van Gaal quickly when things start going wrong. Being a Glazer/Woodward man, their unpopularity will speed up the process depending on how this summer goes.
If we fail to land the sort of players most seem to think we need AND Van Gaal is off to a slow start - there will be blood, no doubt. It could very well turn out to be Woody (and by extension the Glazers) who becomes the primary target, though. Last season the Glazers got off cheaply because Moyes was pretty much a sitting duck in terms of who people were likely to blame for the fiasco. Failing to strengthen properly this summer will bring the attention right back onto the owners - it'll be Green & Gold again before you know it.

LVG has plenty of goodwill at the moment - and I suspect many will be liable to let him off the hook if the main problem is perceived as a failure to buy the necessary reinforcements.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
GTA Online is a failure.

Oh, football? We should have given Moyes a couple of seasons.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Wouldn't be surprised. He's hardly going to be too interested in Moyes' "dossier", and wants to focus on Holland 100%!
exacly, and considering not long ago he thought he was going to be spurs manager, and has had to plan for the world cup, the chance of him having a firm transfer stratery for this summer seems slim.

probably some vague ideas that him woodward and giggs have discussed, but im doubtful that beyond shaw thier are any firm plans

JefferiesTube

Shaw won't be considered the greatest LB of the 21st century in a poll 100 years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.