Up to a third of millennials 'face renting their entire life'

nimic

something nice
Scout
living at home until 30
Is it illegal for me to reuse the "well, there it is" gif so soon after?

I mean, this reason seems to blow all the rest about saving out of the water as far as saving money goes. I'm not saying that to dig at you, it's just that for a lot of people this isn't really a workable solution.

Edit: to add, my brother lived at home until his early 30s, and he's well aware of the benefit that gave him when it came to saving up for a home earlier than me. He wouldn't ever frame it as "I saved, you didn't". Now obviously I could have stayed at home, but not if I wanted the education. That's not at all to say that I've been disadvantaged in any way. I'm incredibly privileged: my higher education didn't cost me anything, for example, and I have living, supportive parents with property that can back me up on the mortgage loan application. Said brother actually helped fix my car so it could pass the EU inspection, and so I didn't have to scrap it and buy a new one.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

This.

I bought my house in June last year in quite a popular area (Swinton, Salford, Greater Manchester), but it's far from 'posh' or anything like that.

My house has an extension and the end terrace on my street just sold for £20,000 more than what I paid literally 13 months ago! That house, realistically, should have sold for less than mine.
House prices are pumping at the moment in the North West. Mine must be close to 40-50% higher than I paid for it in 2017.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/need-advice-please.383130/

Six years ago he was struggling to find a job he cared for after bouncing around industry to industry…. But he was financially secure.

now aged 34 he’s able to finally pay off his mortgage…. And going to get a second house. If only others would… stop buying designer clothes they could have done what Tibs has done!

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/nice-areas-to-live.385000/

from buying in a nice area to paying off a full mortgage in six years. What a dream. All through not going to restaurants.
:lol:

Tibs

Is it illegal for me to reuse the "well, there it is" gif so soon after?

I mean, this reason seems to blow all the rest about saving out of the water as far as saving money goes. I'm not saying that to dig at you, it's just that for a lot of people this isn't really a workable solution.
Post it. I can't argue the point, and Jeff Goldblum seems like a cool guy

nimic

something nice
Scout
Post it. I can't argue the point, and Jeff Goldblum seems like a cool guy
I edited my post while you were replying, to add some detail to my perspective. I don't want to come off as attacking you for staying at home, that might actually be very smart if you're able.

Tibs

I edited my post while you were replying, to add some detail to my perspective. I don't want to come off as attacking you for staying at home, that might actually be very smart if you're able.
I've just read it and no stress re seeming like attacking me. It's the internet and I post enough shit to be able to take it, but thank you for saying it.

Maybe I could have worded what I said better...but I agree with the point about living at home will help save money.

But, as many others have said, the rental prices are crazy, and you'd hope that the Government do something about it ASAP.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I love these :lol: Contributed $100,000 ffs. They really do live in their own little worlds.

Housing is fecked in the U.K., I’m just glad @nimic said I could live with him.
I guess, but only if you can stomach this ugly, depressing place.

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I guess, but only if you can stomach this ugly, depressing place.

i always just imagined Norway to be full of snow and be cold. Those pics looks amazing.

nimic

something nice
Scout
i always just imagined Norway to be full of snow and be cold. Those pics looks amazing.
I mean I did deliberately pick out the summer pictures (except for the one winter picture) :lol:

It's pretty in winter too, though. Not even that cold, except if you're inland, though I don't know how much cold you Brits can handle.

Sweet Square

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/need-advice-please.383130/

Six years ago he was struggling to find a job he cared for after bouncing around industry to industry…. But he was financially secure.

now aged 34 he’s able to finally pay off his mortgage…. And going to get a second house. If only others would… stop buying designer clothes they could have done what Tibs has done!

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/nice-areas-to-live.385000/

from buying in a nice area to paying off a full mortgage in six years. What a dream. All through not going to restaurants.

marktan

The annoying thing about growing up in London is that it's impossible to rent a 1 bed or a studio for a decent price, even crap studios go for about £12k a year, £15k with bills. So you're left sharing with 50 people in a flat share.

And then buying a flat you're looking at like £400k for a 2 bed. My plan was to move out to the suburbs when I hit 30+ but now those feckers have become super expensive too. It's at the point where I'm happy to overpay on rent just because elsewise I'd have to somehow come up with a small fortune to live away from everyone I know.

There's a lot of ideas that are thrown around when it comes to keeping house prices more manageable, and a lot of them makes sense. But the first and foremost thing that needs to be done is for it to be acknowledged that housing is not simply an investment but a public utility that should be accessible for the majority, and then from that politicians should make it a central aim to limit house price growth to a certain %. With all the tools they have in their arsenal it wouldn't even be a particularly difficult task either, but as has been pointed out the majority of MPs are home owners and fairly old, with many owning multiple properties, so they have an incentive to keep seeing gains in house prices. And that's before coming to all the stuff like all the property developers donating money to the Tory party to gain influence on policy.

Stuff like building more houses, raising stamp duty is a a misdirection though, and a result of the property industry's influence - building more houses won't actually make much of a difference to house prices, you'll just have more houses selling for high prices. And the next QE round when the economy lets out a small fart will just send the prices soaring again. It needs to be to directly aim to limit % growth as a political policy, and not just leave it to the free market to decide. Hell I'd even be for making it a policy to reduce prices, but that won't happen due to negative mortgage equity, but as someone still in my 20s I'd be happy to see very little gains on a house purchase over the next 30 years if it means more of the average population can afford to buy. There's like a million different benefits to society - more equality, greater productivity of capital, more happiness. What can't happen though is the last 30 years to continue - when I was born the flat my parents would later buy in London was worth around £80k, now less than 30 years later it's worth £400k.. You'd think it'd have to plateau eventually but there's a lot of free wealth in the economy currently that needs a place to go and a lot of it finds itself into housing.

Who is going to break the cycle though? Its become too late as too many younger people have already sunk their life savings into a place to live, the government cant pull the rug out now.

I bought a place a few years ago. Technically it's a second home as I don't currently live in the UK, and it's rented out at whatever the agent says it should go for. Would I be happy if government policy now changed and screwed me over with it? Hell no. And I'd vote against any government that tried to do that. Its not a few hundred quid here and there when it comes comes to houses. It's hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
@Tibs well done for your expectation and I get it but there has to be some awareness that you have been given an AMAZING helping hand that some people simply do not get. My parents would never have been able to have me living with them without contributions till I’m 30. None of my friends would. I get that you’ve worked hard but you also seem to have had a massive help in life so saying “I only went on holiday twice in ten years” seems silly when some people never go on one.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Who is going to break the cycle though? Its become too late as too many younger people have already sunk their life savings into a place to live, the government cant pull the rug out now.

I bought a place a few years ago. Technically it's a second home as I don't currently live in the UK, and it's rented out at whatever the agent says it should go for. Would I be happy if government policy now changed and screwed me over with it? Hell no. And I'd vote against any government that tried to do that. Its not a few hundred quid here and there when it comes comes to houses. It's hundreds of thousands of pounds.
I think trying to retroactively tax folk for it would be insane, but for future purchases?

acnumber9

I have long thought this might be a minor solution, the inheritance, not the murdering part.

Soon the boomers are going to be dying off, leaving their estates and the taxes that come with it to their offspring. For a 500k average house in London, how many millenial kids are going to have 200k/40% lying around to pay the inheritance tax bill? They will have to sell, and an increase in supply as thousands of kids are forced to sell would cool the market. It just depends how much the IHT allowances will be in the next 10-20 years.
There would be no inheritance tax on a 500k house if it’s left to your children.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
The simple effective solution is to remove the tax subsidy for owner-occupiers and tax them on their imputed rent, as was done until the 1960s in the UK and is still done in some other European countries. People don't tend to like it though, as they don't understand anything about economics.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Hope my son doesn't read this thread, because there's no way that lazy cnut is living with me until he's 30.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
While it may be smart economically it doesn't really help you become an independent adult. I guess there's a reason some people are arguing we should move adulthood from the age of 18 and up to 25 or whatever.

Spielmacher

I would be surprised if it's only a third judging by the current inflation in the housing market.

Pickle85

Not sure I'd want to rent my entire life. Would rather buy my life outright, or at least part own it.

SoCross

Hope my son doesn't read this thread, because there's no way that lazy cnut is living with me until he's 30.
sounds like a job for Dr. Phil!

Not sure I'd want to rent my entire life. Would rather buy my life outright, or at least part own it.
I read the thread as millennials renting their face To make money. Made complete sense.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
There's somewhat of an interesting trend I've noticed, mainly on Reddit, where they solely discuss property value.

What I'm missing in these discussions is the very fact that a paid off house (mortgage paid off) means your monthly expenses become substantially smaller, increasing your discretionary income.

Your rent on the other hand is likely to just continue rising.

marktan

While it may be smart economically it doesn't really help you become an independent adult. I guess there's a reason some people are arguing we should move adulthood from the age of 18 and up to 25 or whatever.
I wasted a good few years of my life living in an overcrowded house with my family post uni. The difference versus when I moved out is night and day. There are many people I know in their 20s in London who work retail jobs or are are say teachers and they still live with their parents, it sucks. It's just hard to rent on a normal salary in London.

Heardy

What are people’s thoughts on an appropriate amount of leverage / borrowing on a mortgage?

For example, my current mortgage as it stands is 20% of my take home pay, decreasing to just under 15% if I add in my wife’s take home pay.

Looking at moving house and the mortgage would be just over 35% of my take home pay, or 27% of our combined incomes if my wife were to go back to work after maternity leave.

Ive felt that our current mortgage under leverages us, but the idea of doubling our mortgage and increasing the length of the mortgage by c.9 years - is that too much?

Id hope I could pay a chunk down once I got 55 and can draw off my pension, so hoping to not be paying a mortgage too late in life.

I am curious as to what people View as the sweet spot in terms of how mortgage of their take home income should go on your house as your biggest personal asset.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Thread bump:

I'm seeing more and more articles about how "renting isn't that bad" and that owning a house "costs plenty of money too".

To me, this is kinda missing the point. Yes, ownership has costs of its own. And yes, you can rent and build equity through an investment portfolio.

But when you own your home and pay off your mortgage, your monthly expenses go down. For me, that was always the main advantage of home ownership. Selling a home with profit for me was a secondary potential benefit. I use the word "potential" because there is no guarantee that you can sell with profit.

Your rent won't go down, in fact it's likely to go up. So again, the fact that your monthly expenses go down over time when you own a home was always the primary advantage for me and yet, these recent articles completely ignore this point?