Up top: Does anyone else prefer seeing Ighalo over Martial?

OL29

I'm not sure I agree with this, in the last few weeks it has been hit and miss granted, but over the season he has proved he is able to do this competently. Yes he is not Fellaini who may as well have had a 3rd boot on his chest, but this is a facet that he possesses in my opinion. You need only watch 2/3/4 games including other top teams, #9's/#10's are just as error prone in possession as ours Martial/Ighalo/Rash - See Lukaku for heavens sake, some more, some less, but I'd say Martial's hold up play is par for the course. There is a narrative now that he is selfish because of an isolated incident yesterday, I recall many commentators stating he hasn't got the selfish/predatory (shooting rather than passing) instincts. Aguero was hooked after 60 yesterday and the media haven't mentioned it once, the lad is an easy target and will be Pogba's replacement as public enemy number 1. A) Poor English - so unable to spout the lip service we see from players after a defeat, you know the "didn't want it enough/need to stick together/we'll work hard in training, et al, B) a Neutral personality on the field (See his IG story from Rashfords Goal v PSG for his non-existent "passion" and C) a consistent grilling from Keane, Neville, Scholes and Co have allowed for a ground swell of apathy towards him.

Yes there have been games where he may as well not have been playing. Almost every player barring the aliens Messi/Ronaldo have sticky patches, we have a solid talent who could have a good next 5-7 years, he may not ever appease the "pashun" merchants where the core metric when assessing a player is how hard they run. But that 's life.
Agree with everything in this post, particularly about him becoming public enemy number one after Pogba.

Preggy99

100% Ighalo as the 9 at the moment. Great at holding the ball up, attacks the 6 yard box which nobody else in the team does. Martial and Rashford playing off the wings cutting in for me are more effective.

PieCrust

If Martial could play the way he just played against City it'd be a no brainer. Igahlo is the better all around ST and he's motivated. The competition he's bringing to Marital's spot is great and I hope what we're seeing is Martial responding to that with better performances.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm Nigerian, being watching Odion for years. The people crying for him to start games will grow frustrated very quickly.
We are using him the best way possible.

Gator Nate

Different players for different purposes. Martial can't do what Ighalo does, and Ighalo can't do what Martial does. But I don't think Ighalo can do what he does for 90 minutes against top sides, either, and Martial's skill set is much more useful over the course of a whole match. Ole is using both the best he can, when the time is right for it.

Toddler

This is funny. Ighalo scores a couple of goals against trash and people are seriously asking questions whether he should start over Martial. Hyperbolic reactions, madness. I like Ighalo but in games like against City, no way Ighalo should start. They are different players and have different uses. Martial is our main number 9.

romufc

Martial should be our No. 9 in most games. He is clearly the better all round player, offered alot more than Ighalo would.

However; in games like Bournmeouth at home or Brighton, I would start both, Martial Ighalo, Greenwood with Bruno as the CAM.

Instead of saying Martial is better or Ighalo is better, why can we not appreciate that we have options now?

Toddler

Martial should be our No. 9 in most games. He is clearly the better all round player, offered alot more than Ighalo would.

However; in games like Bournmeouth at home or Brighton, I would start both, Martial Ighalo, Greenwood with Bruno as the CAM.

Instead of saying Martial is better or Ighalo is better, why can we not appreciate that we have options now?
I like that.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Saying Ighalo is a better option than Tony is a total exaggeration and nothing more than knee jerkery at its finest. With that being said I wouldn't mind seeing us set up in a 4-2-3-1 with Ighalo up top, Martial on the left, James on the right and Bruno in the #10 to see how it works...

stepic

100% Ighalo as the 9 at the moment. Great at holding the ball up, attacks the 6 yard box which nobody else in the team does. Martial and Rashford playing off the wings cutting in for me are more effective.
neither Rashford nor Martial are effective on the right.