US offers $5m reward for arrest of Kinahan gang leaders

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The US government has announced a $5m (£3.8m) reward for information leading to the arrest or conviction of the leaders of the Kinahan crime cartel.

Speaking in Dublin, after the US government unveiled tough Russia-style sanctions against the gang, the US ambassador to Ireland Claire Cronin said the reward would be provided for "information leading to the financial disruption of the Kinahans, or the arrest or conviction" of Daniel Kinahan, his father Christopher Snr and brother Christopher Jnr.

Tackling the Kinahans "is an urgent priority for President Biden and the US government" Ms Cronin said.

The dramatic intervention of the United States is seen as a major blow to the sprawling crime gang, whose drug and firearms trafficking grew out of Dublin streets to span countries around the world.

"Today, the Kinihans join the ranks of the Camorra [Italian mafia organisation] and Japan's yakuza", said Gregory Gatjanis from the US dept of the treasury, which had earlier announced the sanctions.

Matt Horne from Britain's NCA, which was involved in the international operation, said that today was "a huge blow to the Kinahans".

"They thought they were untouchable, but we will explore every opportunity to disrupt their criminal activities. We will not stop here."

The sanctions mean that money or assets the Kinahans have in the US, or in US banks, can be frozen, as well as any US-controlled properties, similar to the restrictions placed on Russian oligarchs in the wake of the invasion of Ukraine.

Their credit cards can be blocked and they cannot fly on US airlines.

As well as the three senior Kinahans, who are all now based in the United Arab Emirates, the sanctions also apply to associates Sean McGovern, Ian Dixon and Bernard Clancy, who are all based in Dubai, and John Morrissey who lives in Spain.

Two UAE-based companies, Hoopoe Sports and Ducashew General Trading, are sanctioned, as is Nero Drinks, which is based in Glasgow, and produces Nero Vodka.

The US says that John Morrissey owns or controls Nero Drinks, and "has given a significant portion of the business to Daniel Kinahan to compensate for loads of drugs seized by law enforcement".

The Americans also said that Daniel Kinahan sources large quantities of cocaine in South America and attempts to import the drugs to the United Kingdom.

He fled Ireland after the infamous Regency Hotel shooting in 2016, when gunmen from the rival Hutch gang disguised as armed police attempted to murder him, killing an associate instead.

At least 18 people have been murdered in the feud between the two gangs.

Daniel Kinahan lives in Dubai, where in recent years he has attempted to reposition himself as a boxing promoter, and has worked with Tyson Fury.

There is no suggestion that Fury was involved in any criminality.

Two weeks ago, Thomas "Bomber" Kavanagh, the "top man" in the UK for the Kinahans, was jailed for 21 years at Ipswich Crown Court.

The National Crime Agency (NCA) said that he masterminded a "commercial-scale" smuggling operation, and imported cocaine and cannabis worth more than £30m.

Two other men, Gary Vickery and Daniel Canning, also received lengthy prison terms.

Gardai (Irish police) are holding a news conference in Dublin later this morning, at which further details of the Irish and British involvement in the international operation against the Kinahans will be revealed.
https://news.sky.com/story/amp/us-i...-kinahan-international-criminal-gang-12588414

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
What use is 5 million when they kill you for snitching on them.

A bit of a change in stance considering the US has been quietly supporting Irish gangs for decades.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Have to laugh at all the boxers and promoters who have come out to support his PR campaign over the last few years.

2cents

Scout

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Imagine being the oldest son and your Dad decides to skip you and name his next son Dad Jr.

dal

I wasn't aware they were that big of a deal. So they're pulling in billions?
The amount of boxers they have under them, I would have thought they were at least worth a billion.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The amount of boxers they have under them, I would have thought they were at least worth a billion.
They're being compared to very serious cartels in the article who make stupid amounts of money each year. I didn't really categorise them with that level of criminal organisation despite the notoriety they've had for a few years now.

It's a surprise to me that the US has made such a public announcement about them.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I wasn't aware they were that big of a deal. So they're pulling in billions?
They said today that they are currently worth over a billion.

Kinahan was also allegedly part of a super-cartel ran by people from Ireland, Morocco, Italy, Chile and Bosnia that (according to the DEA) controlled a third of the drug trade in Europe, worth approx. 23 billion. But nearly all the other leaders of that super cartel bar Kinahan have since been arrested.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
They said today that they are currently worth over a billion.

Kinahan was also allegedly part of a super-cartel ran by people from Ireland, Morocco, Italy, Chile and Bosnia that (according to the DEA) controlled a third of the drug trade in Europe, worth approx. 23 billion. But nearly all the other leaders of that super cartel bar Kinahan have since been arrested.
Crazy. Thanks for the info.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Daniel Kinahan did an interview with James English where he talked about the Regency Hotel shootings. The interview was pulled before it was fully released. Odds on he said something incriminating in the interview.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
The US can have them, on the understanding they take back the glazers as well.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
For anyone not familiar with what put the organisation so firmly in the headlines.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutch–Kinahan_feud

Protip - if you're running an international criminal organisation, and want to remain doing so, it's probably not a good idea to pursue a high profile murderous feud which sees you make national headlines on a daily basis.

2cents

Scout

Two years ago…

"Those are allegations and I don't know anything about that, and his dealings with us have been solely about Tyson Fury and the sport of boxing.

"And if anybody asks me, I would say without any question, that I find him to be an honourable man".

"Whatever the other allegations are and so forth - whether they're true or not true - I can't get into, and I'm not going to get into, because it's none of my business".

"He has developed a great deal of trust with my company, myself and our people.

"He certainly is a trusted confident of Tyson Fury - so obviously his participation and his views were most significant and most important in getting this off the ground."

https://www.newstalk.com/news/daniel-kinahan-honourable-man-boxing-promoter-bob-arum-1029808

2cents

Scout

Superden

somethings gone off behind the scenes, perhaps something to do with politics in ireland? theres lots of organised crime groups and syndicates that havent had anywhere near the attention that the kinahans have had recently, especially considering some brave journos have been writing about their exploits for years now. The UAE is home to all kinds of shady fugitives (quite a few people that i know of that are wanted here, live in dubai quite freely) and its always been reluctant to make life difficult for them.

2cents

Scout
somethings gone off behind the scenes, perhaps something to do with politics in ireland?
I think maybe Irish authorities are receiving valuable information from cooperators. There’s a lot of guys doing a lot of years in Irish and UK prisons right now on behalf of the Kinahan organization who are probably thinking it’s not worth it, especially now with a $5 million reward up for grabs. As for the UAE, they’ve extradited at least a couple of Kinahan’s associates to Italy and Netherlands the last few years.

Superden

I think maybe Irish authorities are receiving valuable information from cooperators. There’s a lot of guys doing a lot of years in Irish and UK prisons right now on behalf of the Kinahan organization who are probably thinking it’s not worth it, especially now with a $5 million reward up for grabs. As for the UAE, they’ve extradited at least a couple of Kinahan’s associates to Italy and Netherlands the last few years.
or perhaps the Kinahans themselves have stopped / threatened to stop co-operating? its all getting a bit Ozark end of last series part 1

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s such a mad story, the whole thing. Imagine you’re the informant who gets five million quid. What do you do with it? A new life abroad? The Kinehans must have dodgy contacts all over the world. Do you get police protection or do you have to pay for 24/7 security? If so, how long will that money last?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It’s such a mad story, the whole thing. Imagine you’re the informant who gets five million quid. What do you do with it? A new life abroad? The Kinehans must have dodgy contacts all over the world. Do you get police protection or do you have to pay for 24/7 security? If so, how long will that money last?
I don't know about Europe but fbi are pretty competent at giving you a new identity and all that if you cooperate with them.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I can’t imagine they’d find you if you did a good job of keeping your head down with a new identity. They’re not exactly mi6. Just hope there’s no one paid off who’s privy to the info, which I imagine is a very small number of people. Would be an unsettling way to live though.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I can’t imagine they’d find you if you did a good job of keeping your head down with a new identity. They’re not exactly mi6. Just hope there’s no one paid off who’s privy to the info, which I imagine is a very small number of people. Would be an unsettling way to live though.
This is exactly how they would find you. Someone somewhere would be intimidated into, or paid off to give the info.

You wouldn’t live to enjoy that money
This is the answer.