Us Open 2012

VP

Some of you cnuts need to man up.

Four great, on the whole classy, champions gracing the game and people are complaining about personalities.

If you want personality contests go watch big brother or something..

Bread

Why anyone gives even the slightest shit about the personalities of sportsmen I will never understand. You see them mostly in the most compettative environment possible when their tension is at breaking point and decide to judge them on that they may be a little angry. Great, if they are angry they care. Give me Murray over "not actually anything like a tiger tiger Tim henman" any day, if they are enjoyable to watch as sportsmen I can't say I give a shit about if they are good people in interviews or really how they act in their sporting environment whatever that may be.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
So gutted I couldn't stay up for this. Absolutely delighted for him. Watch him go on a bit I a run now.

Traub

He definitely deserves any sports awards - even with what Wiggins has done. This is a golden era of tennis right now and he has done brilliantly to break into the upper echelons. The other sportsmen being mentioned were all favourites to win their respective competitions. At the same time Murray has gone from being the perennial underdog to being one of the best.

Jaz

Couldn't stay up. But congrats to Andy Murray, surely deserved on his performances on this. Had a good Wimbledon, and brilliant Olympics.

That said, I don't like how Andy Murray plays Tennis, his style is infuriating.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Congrats Andy, went to bed before the 5th set, ended up getting back up when I found out he was a break up early on. Fully deserved victory and hopefully the first of many! What a year for him.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Some of you cnuts need to man up.

Four great, on the whole classy, champions gracing the game and people are complaining about personalities.

If you want personality contests go watch big brother or something..
Exactly right. Although I never liked Sampras :D

They are all great champions and they seem to respect each other. There is not a lot of bickering and long may it last.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Only made it to the 3rd set. But I am happy for him. I reckon it is more relief than delight he is feeling.

wr8_utd

:'(
@danpope: Best Murray fact of the night: Roger, Rafa & Novak all beat men who'd never won a slam to win their first. Murray's never had that luxury.
Nadal had to beat the apparent GOAT Federer in the semis for his first Slam and then played Puerta in the final who gave him a far tougher time than Federer.

Djokovic beat Federer in the semis of the Australian open for his first Slam and then Tsonga in the final who had just destroyed Nadal in straight sets 2 days previously as well so yes those two have not had it easy either.

wr8_utd

:'(
Oh and congratulations to Murray. He was always good enough to win a Slam and he's finally proven it.

mufcwarm92

I'd love to see Murray solidify his position as a player of consistent grand slam quality. I realise his grand slam record is actualy pretty decent in terms of semis and finals but actually beating the top three in these tournaments is a massive hurdle. With Djokovic, Nadal, Murray and Federer fighting it out for the next few slams we should have one hell of a spectacle.

Cina

Fair play, I've always liked Murray and it's nice to see him finally win something, I can see him winning a fair few more now with the inevitable decline of Federer.

Jaz

I'd love to see Murray solidify his position as a player of consistent grand slam quality. I realise his grand slam record is actualy pretty decent in terms of semis and finals but actually beating the top three in these tournaments is a massive hurdle. With Djokovic, Nadal, Murray and Federer fighting it out for the next few slams we should have one hell of a spectacle.
Agree, but really cannot see Federer staying at the level of the top 4 for anything more than 1-2 years now. Already 31.

Neutral

BTV
Gotta be honest, I didn't think he would win. But that was a great win, and completely deserved. Also glad for his sake, he beat Djokovic instead of some upstart to get that 1st win.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Nadal had to beat the apparent GOAT Federer in the semis for his first Slam and then played Puerta in the final who gave him a far tougher time than Federer.

Djokovic beat Federer in the semis of the Australian open for his first Slam and then Tsonga in the final who had just destroyed Nadal in straight sets 2 days previously as well so yes those two have not had it easy either.
Yeah, Nadal beat the GOAT at the French Open, a slam he had never won by that point and a surface which is by far his weakest and Nadal's strongest.

They obviously didn't have it easy, but actually getting to go into a final and not face of the the very best is a great thing. Shame Murray didnt have that in 2008 when he beat Nadal in the semi's.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sky had a montage at the start, basicially implying that if Murray won this tournament he could become as great as Ali, Messi, Woods, Owens, Bolt. This jingoistic nonsense added to his personality makes him incredibly easy to hate for me
I'm sorry did I miss something? Does Murray create his own montages now?

Also who gives a shit about personality, sure it can add something to a sportsman but lacking one is no reason to hate someone. What? He won a grand slam and didn't make a witty remark while backflipping off the court? What a cnut.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Really pleased for Murray, he has shown incredible mental strength to bounce back from what must have been a really demoralising Wimbledon defeat!

I had a feeling after the way he blew away the opposition at the Olympics that he could get the last slam of the year! Just so glad he's done it.

After the lows of Wimbledon, who would have thought his year would finish on such an incredible high?

TheBest

SPNTBP
Well done to murray, could only watch till 3rd set. First 2 sets weren't really great tbh, lots of errors, probably because of wind. Good year for brits.

Stretch

I'm no Andy fan and only watched the 1st set as it was late here but so happy for him that he finally got the monkey of his back. And it was vitally important that he beat Djokovic and not one of the 'lesser' players to prove he can do it. That gold medal did wonders for him and gave him the self belief and mental toughness (which he lacked previously) to go on to win his first slam. I'm sure he will win a few more still.

Men's tennis is incredible right now though. Any of the top 4 can win a Slam.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Well, I really suspected he had bottled it coming into that final 5th set, but fair fecks to Murray he held his nerve and played some great tennis against a potential GOAT.

Wimbledon is the elephant in the room though.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Shattered today but it was worth it. Stunning final, full of drama. Both men a credit to tennis. Such guts both players showed, some of the rallies were ridiculous.

Normally a Djokovic fan but wanted Murray to win this one, far too good a player never to win a slam. His time had come.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Can see djokovic being no. 1 again at the end of the year. After all the crazy ranking points he had to defend because of his previous formidable year, he actually has relatively littlr to.defend for the rest of the year now... Federer on the other hand started to get in quite a bit of form this time last year and won three or four tournaments among which the masters at the end of the year.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Well done Murray.76 years of British frustration as come to an end.
Sir Sean Connery has said that we should stop saying Murray is British, because he's not, he's Scottish. This irritates me but then, I've never liked Connery.

I assume as Murray's happy to represent GB at various sporting events he's happy to be called British. If people were referring to him as English, that would be another matter, but they're not.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
congrats to Murray.
must be nice to have that monkey off his back and now that the pressure is off he may get a few more.

CheadleBeagle

Glad Murray finally has done it but that kind of tennis is going to shorten their careers like it may have done for Nadal. There were numerous times when either of them could have gone into the net and shortened the point but they didn't, especially Murray. Every point was almost the same and the match was calling out for some variety. Couldn't help thinking what Roger would have done at times because he has so much more attacking skills and win or lose he is much better to watch. I think the tournaments will have to try and speed up the courts a bit to give attacking players a chance or else some of these guys will be out of the game by the time they're 28.

StuCol

Chimp
I don't see why Ennis gets so much attention. Others have achieved much much more than her. e.g. Pendleton

My guess why she get's so much attention. She's fit as feck.

Oh and congrats to Andy, about fecking time.
Read my quote again.

CheadleBeagle

Couldn't stay up. But congrats to Andy Murray, surely deserved on his performances on this. Had a good Wimbledon, and brilliant Olympics.

That said, I don't like how Andy Murray plays Tennis, his style is infuriating.
The counterpuncher and I'm going to stay here until you miss type player? I find it frustrating to watch Nadal, Murray and Djokovic to be honest as they play the war of attrition style of game. That's why we need Roger to stick around a few more years to have an alternative, attacking style. Roger may not win but he is a hell of a lot more interesting to watch and I think he will still win a couple more GS before he's done.

Jaz

The counterpuncher and I'm going to stay here until you miss type player? I find it frustrating to watch Nadal, Murray and Djokovic to be honest as they play the war of attrition style of game. That's why we need Roger to stick around a few more years to have an alternative, attacking style. Roger may not win but he is a hell of a lot more interesting to watch and I think he will still win a couple more GS before he's done.
I don't think Djokovic is that bad, he's very capable and often does play attacking Tennis. But certainly Nadal and Murray really really stretch out play.

No risk Tennis, everything in the centre of the court, yesterday, however, dit showed the good and the bad of Tennis in the last few years. A real lack of attacking Tennis, and not attacking early in the point, even if the player had time and space to go for a winner they blatantly refused to do that, and even come to the net when the opportunity was ripe. The Good: at least it's competitive.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just skimmed over the recording of the match. Murray was shockingly bad after being 4-0 up on the second till the end of the 4th set. But impressed with how he turned it around in the 5th. Djokovic will be disappointed with himself. He's lost to Nadal, Federer and Murray in the 3 grand slams after his Australian Open win. He won't be happy with losing those big matches at all.

As for the match, I don't like this match up at all. The whole 30 shot rallies with 25 shots that had no purpose gets irritating. Djokovic is the one of the two that change it up sometimes and attack more but he didn't do it well when he tried. His level wasnt great by his standards.

amolbhatia50k

Sometimes it was funny to see 2 men around 25 years of age grunting over nothing shots put in the centre of the court, and theirs serves so irrelevant. Speed up the courts please.

SCM

Sometimes it was funny to see 2 men around 25 years of age grunting over nothing shots put in the centre of the court, and theirs serves so irrelevant. Speed up the courts please.
In those conditions last night the game was never going to be as good as everyone wanted but to still hit near 130mph serves is very impressive. Some of the ground strokes were approaching 100mph at times so the shots might have been the safer percentage wise at times but when they went for it they didn't hold back.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Just skimmed over the recording of the match. Murray was shockingly bad after being 4-0 up on the second till the end of the 4th set. But impressed with how he turned it around in the 5th. Djokovic will be disappointed with himself. He's lost to Nadal, Federer and Murray in the 3 grand slams after his Australian Open win. He won't be happy with losing those big matches at all.

As for the match, I don't like this match up at all. The whole 30 shot rallies with 25 shots that had no purpose gets irritating. Djokovic is the one of the two that change it up sometimes and attack more but he didn't do it well when he tried. His level wasnt great by his standards.
boohoo

Federer wouldnt have been able to win with his regular game in those conditions either

amolbhatia50k

boohoo

Federer wouldnt have been able to win with his regular game in those conditions either
Irrelevant. That's generally how those two play anyway. Djokovic does attack though sometimes and I like when he does it. Hence my preference for him to win last night.

Also, "boohoo"? How is that even close to applicable?

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
because you can't hide your utter disappointment at Murray winning it.

I love big rallies, so do thousands of fans. Its great.

Its like people who don't like Barcelona winning things so try to convince themselves their passing football is actually a complete bore.

If you don't think Murray attacks then go and watch him beat Federer at the Olympics