US Politics

Halftrack

Yes that's what I'm thinking. This is so obvious that Ford testimony is true and so obvious that they are hiding something and know the FBI will find out. I can see a scenario where he sings like a canary
Even if Judge doesn't admit to it, I bet everyone of the people named as present at the gathering by Dr. Ford will be questioned, and their "I have no recollection of such an event" will be changed to "I can't remember that specific gathering, but I can't rule out that it took place." Because who remembers every unremarkable evening hang-out with friends from their high-school years, and can with any degree of confidence say that they know for a fact that they were never at a, to them, completely random one of those?

The witnesses might also shed some more light on Kavanaugh's drinking habits. He kept claiming that he loved beer, beer is super good, he drank beer. Beer. But he also claimed that he, a high-school student who drank lots of beer, never ever drank so much that he might have thrown up, or blacked out. And also, if a they've ever heard of this drinking game involving two penises three glasses called "Devil's Triangle".

He told a lot of lies in his hearing, and those lies are in danger of being exposed. If they are, he is at least guilty of perjury, which should be enough to disqualify him from the Supreme Court. Not that I have any faith in the GOP sharing that view. They'll say that the FBI couldn't confirm that the attempted rape took place, so he should be on the SCOTUS.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Seems to me you two have a hard time reading. I said when it comes to veterans (specifically)

Why do you come here and think you're up to date with what we were talking about? Carolina tried to compare Ford's PTSD with that of a marine as an excuse for her not to have come out all those years ago with her supposed rape and accuse Kavanaugh for his supposed crime back when it happened (and thus the person who caused her the PTSD). Obviously a marine can't take "combat" into court. So the comparison is incredibly stupid.
You are having an absolute mare in this thread and in the span of a few hours you have posted some of the worst and most despicable comments I've ever read on this forum. You're also clearly not informed on this hearing or pretty much any of the subjects you are discussing (with the added bonus of irony/hypocrisy), and I can't for the life of me understand how you can have such strong opinions about things you prove time and time again that you know so little about.

I also think that people are up to date on what you're talking about because this forum has this neat feature where everyone can read what's been posted by others.

Sigma

I'm pretty sure they could have delayed sending it out of committee for a week (not positive though). I'm also unsure what the proposed FBI investigation will look like, whether it will only look at Ford's allegation or whether the two further allegations will also be investigated. The terms of the investigation are also in question as is whether a week is really long enough for a thorough one to take place. I'm not certain what 'limited in scope' means in this instance.
I agreed, it seems Flake is being disingenuous by asking for an investigation which may be a dud. Hopefully a proper investigation is carried out.

Infra-red

Just saw on BBC News that the Senate will vote on the motion to proceed with the nomination on Saturday (tomorrow), thereby ignoring Flake's pleas for a one week delay.

Ignore the above. One-week FBI Investigation will go ahead.

Last edited:

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Just saw on BBC News that the Senate will vote on the motion to proceed with the nomination on Saturday (tomorrow), thereby ignoring Flake's pleas for a one week delay.
What does this mean? I read somewhere that if the vote goes to the senate, the republicans can only afford to lose 1 vote. Is this the scenario we are in? I'm a US government luddite.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
What does this mean? I read somewhere that if the vote goes to the senate, the republicans can afford to lose 1 vote. Is this the scenario we are in? I'm a US government luddite.
It's true that the Reps can afford to lose one vote but it seems they might lose two if it went to a vote right now. Flake has said he won't vote in favour and he's been backed up by Collins (I think it's Collins). That means McConnell (Majority Leader) doesn't have the votes to confirm Kavanaugh unless he gets assurances from some Democrat or other. Absent that he's not got much of a choice other than to bow to Flake and Collins' demands.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
It's true that the Reps can afford to lose one vote but it seems they might lose two if it went to a vote right now. Flake has said he won't vote in favour and he's been backed up by Collins (I think it's Collins). That means McConnell (Majority Leader) doesn't have the votes to confirm Kavanaugh unless he gets assurances from some Democrat or other. Absent that he's not got much of a choice other than to bow to Flake and Collins' demands.
I see. So the verdict: who will be happier with it? The protesters against Kavanaugh/Dr Ford or Kavanaugh himself?

sport2793

Protesters would have to be the happier side especially considering that Flake was a definite yes this morning until he talked with Sen. Coons.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I see. So the verdict: who will be happier with it? The protesters against Kavanaugh/Dr Ford or Kavanaugh himself?
It's obviously better for protesters and Dr Ford than just having the guy confirmed but it's up in the air as to whether the investigation will be persuasive (either way) in the long run. Should also bear in mind that a lot can happen in a week so even if the investigation is intended to be a bit of a sham the delay still provides Kavanaugh's opponents with more time to stop the nomination.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Is there any reason to believe this isn't another way the Republicans outsmart the Dems by swinging the narrative in their favor? Look how we reneged, look how bipartisan we re being, look how much we respect women, look how much we respect the FBI, I have no confidence the Rs won't win this PR battle - along with a now weaponized/rogue judge to be appointed to the SCOTUS after all.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Prediction - FBI report would be inconclusive but will make mention of the judge having had binge sessions a many during his school and college days, contradicting his testimony. Republicans won't see that as a disqualifying act and will vote him in.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Is there any reason to believe this isn't another way the Republicans outsmart the Dems by swinging the narrative in their favor? Look how we reneged, look how bipartisan we re being, look how much we respect women, look how much we respect the FBI, I have no confidence the Rs won't win this PR battle - along with a now weaponized/rogue judge to be appointed to the SCOTUS after all.
Consindering he was about 15 mins away from a clean committee confirmation, this is something. He'll likely get the confirm as you'd expect only the most pro-Trump wing of the FBI will be allowed to handle any investigation. And yes, McConnell and co will spin it in their favor. Maybe that ends up backfiring at the polls though with an even more aggrieved Democrat base turning out.

There's little the Democrats can do to stop it from going through at this point. They were willing to force the issue so I doubt, barring any sensational discovery, that the needle moves in the end for 2 necessary R's. In all likelihood the FBI will come up with information that any reasonable person would view as proof that Kavanaugh is covering something up and the Republicans - in a nod to appease Trump and signal their likely response when it's his time in the barrel - will meekly excuse it as a trifle from the past that has no bearing on the present-day honorable Brett.

Pagh Wraith

What is the FBI supposed to find in one week? Isn't the most likely outcome that we'll be back to square one next week and the Republicans being in a much stronger position?