US Politics

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Like clockwork
Most Cuomo criticisms are just but I like this policy. Make the absolute morons pay a stupidity tax. Hopefully it’s earmarked for the fight against the virus but I won’t hold my breath.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Trump also discussing mail-in yesterday - saying no way, you go and do it in a booth (note he voted by mail in NY state, which allows it). This is the GOP's wet dream: reduced turnout in November.

To paraphrase a known-GOP operative: if you make it easier to vote the GOP will never win another election in this country. Just last week too.

They're a disgrace. I'm really saddened by the SC ruling. This feels like the kind of thing that is constitutional, which they usually don't mess with for party reasons.

Reminder: the GOP are a minority-rule party. They currently exist only because they've manipulated the system in their favour using laws to ensure that the party getting the most votes does NOT rule the country. They could win the Senate with only 18% of the votes, and haven't won a majority in the Presidential election for more than 20 years, despite having a GOP president for the majority of that time.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Trump also discussing mail-in yesterday - saying no way, you go and do it in a booth (note he voted by mail in NY state, which allows it). This is the GOP's wet dream: reduced turnout in November.

To paraphrase a known-GOP operative: if you make it easier to vote the GOP will never win another election in this country. Just last week too.

They're a disgrace. I'm really saddened by the SC ruling. This feels like the kind of thing that is constitutional, which they usually don't mess with for party reasons.

Reminder: the GOP are a minority-rule party. They currently exist only because they've manipulated the system in their favour using laws to ensure that the party getting the most votes does NOT rule the country. They could win the Senate with only 18% of the votes, and haven't won a majority in the Presidential election for more than 20 years, despite having a GOP president for the majority of that time.

The reason that is bad is because it means they don't have to respond to the populace. If they did, a policy like universal healthcare - which has polled above 60% - would be favoured by both parties.

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
Can someone explain me the widespread support for mail-only voting?
I get the point of it as a measurement against the virus, but mandatory masks+gloves will do just as good a job and it doesn't create a precedent case. There is a reason why multiple countries have mail-votings forbidden altogether. It is just too easily abusable. Even if the current government will not, eventually one will come along who will do.

In the realm of this, why are Americans so against voter-IDs? It's normal and easily obtainable in so many countries, yet there is quite the opposition to this simple thing that can easily reduce voterfraud

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I get the point of it as a measurement against the virus, but mandatory masks+gloves will do just as good a job and it doesn't create a precedent case. There is a reason why multiple countries have mail-votings forbidden altogether. It is just too easily abusable. Even if the current government will not, eventually one will come along who will do.

In the realm of this, why are Americans so against voter-IDs? It's normal and easily obtainable in so many countries, yet there is quite the opposition to this simple thing that can easily reduce voterfraud
See this:
It's a zero sum game though.

The number of people who actually commit election fraud is tiny compared to the amount of people who would be disenfranchised by an ID requirement.

2017 statistics:

Now compare that to the estimated 3.5 million people in the UK who don't have photo IDs.

Despite what people might suggest, an Election has the singular objective of providing a figure which accurately represents the wishes of the nation. Not "who also have a photo ID" or "who might also be close to their voting station during University term time". So in terms of pure quality of data, you get a much better results with the very low risk of voter fraud than you do with the very high risk of voter suppression. Especially when you consider that voter fraud is a risk to all parties indiscriminate of their demographics whereas methods of voter suppression are inherently discriminate against certain groups (usually poor/students/immigrants) and as such are a much greater risk to the integrity of an election as it's likely to skew the results considerably.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

It isn't easily obtianable in the US.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
So if it is a zero sum game now - what if a government ever goes rogue? Which was my entire point that you seemingly missed.
The mail voting system is no more vulnerable to attack from a rogue government as in person voting systems. Voter ID would only serve as a tool in this sort of attack.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Its generally Republicans who are for voter ID, since they know various older poor people, particularly in rural areas don't have them, they are expired, and aren't likely to get them renewed. In a way, a form of suppressing the vote of the other side.

Adisa

So if it is a zero sum game now - what if a government ever goes rogue? Which was my entire point that you seemingly missed.

So then the argument should be to make it easier obtainable and not against voter-IDs per se.
They intentionally make it difficult because voter disenfranchisement is the end goal.

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
The mail voting system is no more vulnerable to attack from a rogue government as in person voting systems. Voter ID would only serve as a tool in this sort of attack.
I don't know about the US system, but here on Germany that is definitely untrue. Especially since citizens have the right to oversee the entire booth-voting process.

Its generally Republicans who are for voter ID, since they know various older poor people, particularly in rural areas don't have them, they are expired, and aren't likely to get them renewed. In a way, a form of suppressing the vote of the other side.
Aren't elder people as well as people on rural areas usually voting further to the right, though? So if anything it would be harmful not have them vote for the Republican party? Anyhow, that doesn't exactly speak against voter-IDs, but is an argument to make it more easily obtainable first to lay the groundwork.

They intentionally make it difficult because voter disenfranchisement is the end goal.
That might or might not be true. I don't know the system enough in the US. But that again doesn't speak against voter-IDs per se. It just speaks for making these IDs more easily obtainable first to lay that groundwork. Or am I missing something?

Adisa

I don't know about the US system, but here on Germany that is definitely untrue. Especially since citizens have the right to oversee the entire booth-voting process.

Aren't elder people as well as people on rural areas usually voting further to the right, though? So if anything it would be harmful not have them vote for the Republican party? Anyhow, that doesn't exactly speak against voter-IDs, but is an argument to make it more easily obtainable first to lay the groundwork.

That might or might not be true. I don't know the system enough in the US. But that again doesn't speak against voter-IDs per se. It just speaks for making these IDs more easily obtainable first to lay that groundwork. Or am I missing something?
The states are responsible for ID laws not Congress. A state that wants to disenfranchise poor blacks for example can make it very expensive to acquire an ID.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
:lol:
A former immigration officer for the US Customs and Border Protection agency who processed deportation cases for nearly 20 years now fears being deported after an ironic twist of fate. It turned out he wasn’t actually a US citizen, Insider reported.

Raul Rodriguez processed several deportation cases in a period of nearly 20 years of working as an immigration officer. But little did he know he would soon fear deportation himself.

According to Insider, trouble started when Rodriguez, who has lived in the United States for almost 50 years and served with the US Navy, started the process of helping his brother who is in Mexico, migrate to the United States. So, he submitted his own citizenship paperwork along with his brother’s paperwork to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Then, he got a call from the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), stating that they found a birth certificate for Rodriguez that showed he was actually born in Mexico, not in the US, KRGV News reported.

https://www.mazechmedia.com/2019/11...ed-after-his-birth-certificate-was-unearthed/

Drifter

American
McConnell falls behind in the money race as small donors flock to McGrath

Millions are pouring into the Kentucky Senate race as small donors throw cash at former Marine Amy McGrath in her probable challenge to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

McGrath outraised McConnell in the first quarter of this year, reporting she received $12.8 million while the Republican incumbent raised $7.8 million. She now edges out McConnell in total fundraising, bringing in nearly $30 million to his $25.6 million. The Senate majority leader is projected to win the seat but by a narrow margin, according to polling data analyzed by FiveThirtyEight.

McGrath is attracting small donors from both in and out of state, making up 63 percent of her fundraising total through the end of 2019. Small donors make up just 16 percent of McConnell’s funds, totaling nearly $2.8 million as he relies more on PACs and his colleagues’ campaign coffers.

Banking on Democrats’ dislike for McConnell, McGrath has also issued several Facebook ads targeting the incumbent senator’s handling of the Coronavirus outbreak.

“It’s a high profile race, McConnell is the second most powerful Republican and Democrats intensely dislike him,” said Raymond La Raja, a political science professor at University of Massachusetts-Amherst. “It is a national race that attracts small donors.”

Both candidates’ campaigns are being funded by significant proportions of out of state donors. McConnell’s campaign got over 89 percent from donors outside of Kentucky, while McGrath’s received 96 percent through the end of 2019. Congressional candidates must file first-quarter reports on April 15 that will provide a complete picture of their 2020 fundraising so far.

Democrats are battling for several Senate seats held by Republicans, including Colorado, Iowa and North Carolina. But Kentucky has entered the fray due to Democratic donors’ enthusiasm to unseat McConnell. Super PACs are also pouring money into the race.

“If it was a choice of Democratic establishment, they would not be investing this much in the race,” La Raja said. “But this really is being funded through grassroots. I think they have concerns about not having money for other races which are winnable. But even though pundits say this race is not close and McConnell will win, people see this race as a tight one, which is why they’re giving money.”

The McConnell-aligned Senate Leadership Fund has booked $67 million worth ad buys for six states this fall, including nearly $11 million in Kentucky, Politico reported. So far, outside groups have spent over $2.3 million against the majority leader and nearly $407,000 backing McGrath. Hybrid PAC Ditch Fund, one of the early anti-McConnell groups, drives the bulk of that spending.

“My guess is the Senate Leadership Fund will attack McGrath soon after primary to soften her numbers and spread the gap between her and McConnell early on as possible,” La Raja said. ”If the close poll numbers linger, that presages a Democratic surge that will surely scare other Republican incumbents.”

At a time when incumbent senators on both sides of the aisle are in vulnerable positions, the GOP leadership is looking into a seat that was considered safe. Democratic interest in the seat combined with McConnell faring poorly in favorability polls contributes to national Republican concern, experts say.

“Amy on paper is a big candidate, it’s a long shot but it is possible, ” La Raja said. “It would be a symbolic coup. McConnell holds the Republican Senate together, it would be like taking out a general.”

Before she challenges McConnell, McGrath must win a June 23 primary where she’s outraised the crowded field handily.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

You might be tempted to blame Florida for electing a clown until you remember that the opponent was recently found passed out high on meth.

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan

this is the leader of the party that claims to fight for working people, during a depression
Didn't she also make good bucks on the stock market before the lockdown laws got into place and she sold and bought affected stock? Or was it another politician? Think it was her, though.

Revan

Assumptionman
Didn't she also make good bucks on the stock market before the lockdown laws got into place and she sold and bought affected stock? Or was it another politician? Think it was her, though.
I don't think it was her. There were 4 senators I think (3 Republicans and Feinstein) who were briefed about the effects of coronavirus, and then sold some/all of their stocks (or in the case of one of them sold airplane/hotel stocks and bought zoom stocks).

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
I don't think it was her. There were 4 senators I think (3 Republicans and Feinstein) who were briefed about the effects of coronavirus, and then sold some/all of their stocks (or in the case of one of them sold airplane/hotel stocks and bought zoom stocks).
It "wasn't" her, but her husband. So pretty much the same.

"It’s not just lawmakers themselves; their spouses have been active in stock trading. In the early stages of the coronavirus pandemic, the House speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband spent $3.3m buying up tech stocks that would probably surge during a coronavirus pandemic: Alphabet, Microsoft and Slack, according to Barron’s."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...coronavirus-briefings-to-make-stock-decisions

Revan

Assumptionman
It "wasn't" her, but her husband. So pretty much the same.

"It’s not just lawmakers themselves; their spouses have been active in stock trading. In the early stages of the coronavirus pandemic, the House speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband spent $3.3m buying up tech stocks that would probably surge during a coronavirus pandemic: Alphabet, Microsoft and Slack, according to Barron’s."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...coronavirus-briefings-to-make-stock-decisions
Most of those stocks are down anyway. People who bought stocks are ok, people buy stocks all the time. Those who sold stocks on the other hand while pretending that everything is fine (after being briefed about corona) on the other hand.

stepic

There was a video going around recently of an economist debating a news reporter on some US show about how bailouts are a waste of time etc, anyone know the one I’m talking about and could post?

Skills

Snitch
There was a video going around recently of an economist debating a news reporter on some US show about how bailouts are a waste of time etc, anyone know the one I’m talking about and could post?