US Politics

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Should've known Palin's introduction in 08 would yield a monstrosity like this a generation later. Shudder to think what Boebert will yield in 15 years from now.

Ironically, she looks like an adult entertainer making a movie about Palin

WPMUFC

What the shit
They keep telling you who they are....time to start believing it.

The whole coup has been normalised, it is now part of the right wings litmus test. If you're a US conservative, you are going to have to choose violent uprisings against election results. They are actively purging and installing loyalists across the GOP state legislators. We only recently learned just how deep the planning was underway to take the voting machines and keep Trump in power. People just can't wrap their minds around fascism installing itself through a democratic system. Every response is "yeah but it hasn't happened yet" and that is the exact leeway needed to creep further and further in. If democrats win "GOP states" in 2024, they will not certify votes.

nimic

something nice
Scout
He mentioned "competitive autocracy", and the top result on Google was this interesting article from 2002.

In competitive authoritarian regimes, by contrast, elections are often bitterly fought. Although the electoral process may be characterized by large-scale abuses of state power, biased media coverage, (often violent) harassment of opposition candidates and activists,10 and an overall lack of transparency, elections are regularly held, ompetitive (in that major opposition parties and candidates usually participate), and generally free of massive fraud.
A third path to competitive authoritarianism was the decay of a democratic regime. In these cases, deep and often longstanding political and economic crises created conditions under which freely elected governments undermined democratic institutions—either via a presidential “self-coup” or through selective, incremental abuses—but lacked the will or capacity to eliminate them entirely
Seems... ominous?

Edit: I just noticed that one of the authors is Steven Levitsky, who has more recently written a book called How Democracies Die, which I already had on my Amazon list.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
This is right after he criticized the media for reporting that his 17yo son tried to vote for him. Which is illegal. And he tried twice.....
Genius. Now noone can claim that "voter fraud" isn't actually a real thing.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I really dont see a way back soon for America. The bipartisanship has reach a cut your nose to spite the face level all across board.

The only way to get votes is to race to the bottom, good luck playing statemanship and hoping to win any sort of election

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I really dont see a way back soon for America. The bipartisanship has reach a cut your nose to spite the face level all across board.

The only way to get votes is to race to the bottom, good luck playing statemanship and hoping to win any sort of election
That's because neither party have any intention of serving the people. Instead they've cooked up a form of "anti-politics", where they present people with issues on which they refuse to personally compromise, like abortion and gay marriage, and rely on your unwillingness to back the other candidate who takes an opposing stance on a "core" issue. All the Republicans have to do is oppose abortion and whatever else triggers the conservatives.

But Biden doesn't have any interest in the policies favored by his voters, like Obama didn't (on war for example). Our "extreme left wing" politician Sanders is right of European liberals, would look like a moderate in France from what I can tell.

All so that the people who run corporate interests that back them can carve the country into even finer pieces to fight over among themselves.

nimic

something nice
Scout
To be fair to them this is consistent. After all, people don't die from gunshots, they die from blood loss with bullets in them.
George Washington died from blood loss, and all he had was a sore throat*. 18th century medicine was insane.

*possibly a slight exaggeration, but also possibly not.

Foxbatt

I really do not know if they are hypocrites or really ignorant? But it's very good for the Americans to interfere in the domestic affairs of other countries but others can't interfere in anything they do.