US Politics

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Give this a listen.

https://www.sceneonradio.org/the-land-that-never-has-been-yet/

Over the past few years, the survival of the United States as a democratic republic has become a topic of national conversation—Trumpian authoritarianism; voter suppression and gerrymandering; concerns about foreign intervention, election security, and the role of money in politics.

Our twelve-part Season 4 series on democracy touches on those concerns but goes much deeper, effectively retelling the story of the United States from its beginnings up to the present as we complicate, maybe upend, our listeners’ understanding of American history. Our series title, The Land That Never Has Been Yet, is borrowed from the Langston Hughes poem, “Let America Be America Again.”

They re-broadcasted ep 8 after Jan 6, with some extra comments, if you ever get there.

https://www.sceneonradio.org/rebroadcast-s4-e8-the-second-redemption/
I just started listening to these. Thanks for the links.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
The moronification of US politics is way past complete:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Hope voters in the US come to realise which country the Republicans really want to "make great again".
This is proper scary being just beyond the border as I would not be surprised if Putin wanted to send a message to the West by hitting Poland a few times for our role in this conflict.

Trump is very likely to win the next elections, isn’t he?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is proper scary being just beyond the border as I would not be surprised if Putin wanted to send a message to the West by hitting Poland a few times for our role in this conflict.

Although possible, he's not very likely to win it. For one, he will be going into it a wounded duck (unlike 2016 when he was largely an unknown political commodity and benefited from a lot free TV time as a result of his tweets) and won't have the level of Republican support he had over the past two cycles, as evidenced by the fact that there are others like DeSantis in the mix, who is now polling in the mid 20s among Republicans.

Sarni

He might not even win the nomination.
Yeah I hope so but he’s favorite to win nomination and whoever wins nomination is likely to win the elections too as with the inflation and economic crisis just round the corner it will be easy to turn people against current leadership.

Sarni

Although possible, he's not very likely to win it. For one, he will be going into it a wounded duck (unlike 2016 when he was largely an unknown political commodity and benefited from a lot free TV time as a result of his tweets) and won't have the level of Republican support he had over the past two cycles, as evidenced by the fact that there are others like DeSantis in the mix, who is now polling in the mid 20s among Republicans.

Still that graph suggests that Trump is a firm favorite to win the nomination, and from then on would probably be firm favorite to beat whoever Democrats pick.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Still that graph suggests that Trump is a firm favorite to win the nomination, and from then on would probably be firm favorite to beat whoever Democrats pick.
The number was almost zero less than two years ago. Trump's strangle hold on the Republican party is being seriously challenged by DeSantis at the moment, which suggests he won't have the level of support as he had in the past, especially if he goes into the election indicted and with a threat of prison time looming.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Nope.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Current polling suggests Biden would defeat Trump.

MUW4Eva

It could be two geriatrics going head to head to be President if it is Trump v Buden in 2024, where are the younger people who might want to be President??

Hamnat

“We failed”: Gay Republicans who fought for acceptance in Texas GOP see little progress
More than two decades later, this year’s Texas Republican convention made headlines again for its attitudes toward LGBTQ people. The party adopted a platform in June at its convention in Houston declaring that “homosexuality is an abnormal lifestyle choice.” That party position comes after similar language had been stripped from the platform just four years earlier, representing a backward step for Log Cabin members who have for years been fighting for acceptance within their ranks.
Gay Republicans who have fought for acceptance within the Texas GOP over the past three decades told The Texas Tribune progress has been excruciatingly slow. Many of them have left the party, even as the number of Log Cabin Republicans in Texas continues to grow.

“I do not believe that we made any progress. In fact, I think the party got worse,” Carpenter, who is no longer involved in party politics, said of his time as the state’s Log Cabin president.
“[The party’s] views have not changed, but the wider cultures have. That’s a very striking thing to me,” Carpenter said. “They are like a fossil from another age. And it’s on everything. I don’t believe they support a single thing that’s happened over the last 25 years.”
Reading this today about the abject and absolute failure of these people. Decades of trying to get people who make no secret about thinking they shouldn't exist and above that actively hate and despise you to accept? I mean the delusion, "common ground" instead of being accepted? Just insane.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is an absurd interview. She basically says "there is no difference between me and my opponent" and Q is my wingman.
Also, its obviously not very wise for an election denier to go on CNN. They should stick to Fox where they will only get asked about border security.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Also, its obviously not very wise for an election denier to go on CNN. They should stick to Fox where they will only get asked about border security.
I think she is getting boat raced by Lake right now, so maybe she is hoping to speak to a different audience? The problem is, her answers will speak to basically no one who watches CNN, even if they are Republican. 538 shows Hobbs by 4-5 over Lake, so that is good I guess. Kelly is up big in his race so hopefully that drives more votes for Hobbs. Either GOP candidate for AZ governor would be a disaster.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think she is getting boat raced by Lake right now, so maybe she is hoping to speak to a different audience? The problem is, her answers will speak to basically no one who watches CNN, even if they are Republican. 538 shows Hobbs by 4-5 over Lake, so that is good I guess. Kelly is up big in his race so hopefully that drives more votes for Hobbs. Either GOP candidate for AZ governor would be a disaster.
It would be a massive slap in the face to the GOP of Hobbs wins (which she may well do). Presidential results, Governorship and both Senate seats blue in what was previously a reliably red state.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It would be a massive slap in the face to the GOP of Hobbs wins (which she may well do). Presidential results, Governorship and both Senate seats blue in what was previously a reliably red state.
I am guessing that an influx of people from CA/WA/OR to AZ has shifted things somewhat, but other than that I wonder if it is a sign on how batshit crazy the AZGOP has turned. It could be that more moderate republicans are just not willing to vote for these candidates or vote in general. Both AZ GOP candidates are on the insane side of the 2020 election divide, which is in stark contrast to the Dem candidate who was the SOS and a nightly guest on CNN after the election. They are turning this election into a referendum on he 2020 election and it terrifies me how this will turn out.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I am guessing that an influx of people from CA/WA/OR to AZ has shifted things somewhat, but other than that I wonder if it is a sign on how batshit crazy the AZGOP has turned. It could be that more moderate republicans are just not willing to vote for these candidates or vote in general. Both AZ GOP candidates are on the insane side of the 2020 election divide, which is in stark contrast to the Dem candidate who was the SOS and a nightly guest on CNN after the election. They are turning this election into a referendum on he 2020 election and it terrifies me how this will turn out.
Its largely being driven by the fact that Maricopa county is growing and urban areas tend to lean Dem and traditional independents are turned off by the clown show the GOP have devolved into. I would expect this to continue as the population of greater Phoenix keeps growing. The only disadvantage is the Dems are stuck with Sinema unless they want to primary her.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
If only! I like what I’ve been hearing/reading about him.
I don't know.... CA (or a western state in general) has never provided a Dem candidate and I wonder if there would be a danger in nominating a "California Liberal" in a national election. I'm not saying that's fair (as a CA native I would love to see the Nixon/Reagan stain diluted a bit), just that, having lived in the south and midwest, there is a definite preconception people have of West Coasters and Californians in particular.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Looks like Gavin is seriously considering running given that he's spending ad money in FL and other places. R are already concerned (assuming there's no early 2000s coke binge, orgy tape Kim Guilfoyle puts out).

RedDevilQuebecois

There will be a lot of talks within the Joe Biden White House right after the 2022 midterms in order to assess all options forward. However, the truth remains that the Democrats will need an aggressive person with a far better salespitch at the helm in order to push forward what is left of the long overdue progressive push that has not quite been seen since the 1960s in truth. Instead of being on the defensive, Dems can and must change the mindset into something offensive-oriented to hold better control of the narrative and thus snuff the noise coming from the right.

In other words, better move away from an Ole Solksjaer-like counterattacking approach and then adopt a full Ajax-like possession game.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Looks like Gavin is seriously considering running given that he's spending ad money in FL and other places. R are already concerned (assuming there's no early 2000s coke binge, orgy tape Kim Guilfoyle puts out).

Will end badly .

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
So the secret ballot is no longer secret?
I assume it doesn't include your ballots, but NC has all this info online so you can look people up pretty easily with it. I was able to find the address of the woman who got Emmett Till lynched in about 30 seconds with it when the news came out that there was a warrant for her in MS. I'd forgotten she lived in NC.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I assume it doesn't include your ballots, but NC has all this info online so you can look people up pretty easily with it. I was able to find the address of the woman who got Emmett Till lynched in about 30 seconds with it when the news came out that there was a warrant for her in MS. I'd forgotten she lived in NC.
Privacy is a fallacy. Property records are free access too and you can search by name and or address.