US Politics

RedDevilQuebecois

If you ask me, I would put him as the frontrunner for 2024 to let Joe Biden ride into the sunset. I think Newsom is by far the best bet that Democrats have in order to restore some faith in the Office of the President of the United States. Gotta need someone with energy, never shy of taking the fight in Republican territory (like Fox News).

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If you ask me, I would put him as the frontrunner for 2024 to let Joe Biden ride into the sunset. I think Newsom is by far the best bet that Democrats have in order to restore some faith in the Office of the President of the United States. Gotta need someone with energy, never shy of taking the fight in Republican territory (like Fox News).
Call me crazy but he actually sounds like a cool headed centre left politician in America. Such a thing can exist?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He seems to be smelling blood , definitely trying to get his name out in time for the 24 primary, should get it without any hassle as well if biden declines to run again but I don't fancy his chances against neither trump or DeSantis.
I think you're gravely mistaken, he'll get smoked by either trump or DeSantis if we go into recession (which we seem to be unfortunately).
Democrats best chance for 24 is either someone like polis(Colorado's govenor) or biden himself (he's the incumbent after all) , someone who has such an elitist aura about him will do terribly in the states that matter , would end up badly in my opinion.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Good article

https://forummag.com/2022/07/11/the-never-ending-war-on-the-woke/

I would ask Marshall and From—and Carville and Teixera and the heavy-breathing authors of Politico’s Playbook—only to acknowledge that they won. They got what they wanted. Barack Hussein Obama may have temporarily disrupted the natural order, but the “special interests” were routed, and the white suburban voter granted pride of place in the scrum for electoral power. Union membership is down to single-digits in the private-sector workforce. The communities of color that Clinton-era Democrats made such a performative point of rebuffing on the principle that they were securely captive constituencies have grown disenchanted, and in some cases started to edge rightward. The president’s approval among young people in particular is shockingly dismal.

Joe Biden is the president of the United States. Bill Clinton’s “PC” cabinet lost the 1994 midterms. Congratulations to the anti-PC brigade. You have gotten what you’ve wanted, over and over again, for many years. How’s it going?

Dr. StrangeHate

Just bring back slavery, boom, problem solved.
Slavery was the first word that came to my mind as well. Surely in a 100 years either we will be living under military rule of corporations or a Star Trek society with money obsolete.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Today, for some reason, I got to thinking about the US and how it seems to go back & forth so much with regard to civil liberties, etc
It went through slavery, then Jim Crow, anti Chinese laws, prohibition, Japanese American internments, McCarthyism, civil rights issues in the 1960s, political assassinations, and since 2016 the trump admin and its legacy which is leading towards more restrictions, not to mention the insurrection. It’s crazy how it keeps going in cycles where the crazy comes out.
As good as the US is, it’s also subject to these periods that occur very frequently.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Today, for some reason, I got to thinking about the US and how it seems to go back & forth so much with regard to civil liberties, etc
It went through slavery, then Jim Crow, anti Chinese laws, prohibition, Japanese American internments, McCarthyism, civil rights issues in the 1960s, political assassinations, and since 2016 the trump admin and its legacy which is leading towards more restrictions, not to mention the insurrection. It’s crazy how it keeps going in cycles where the crazy comes out.
As good as the US is, it’s also subject to these periods that occur very frequently.
Give this a listen.

https://www.sceneonradio.org/the-land-that-never-has-been-yet/

Over the past few years, the survival of the United States as a democratic republic has become a topic of national conversation—Trumpian authoritarianism; voter suppression and gerrymandering; concerns about foreign intervention, election security, and the role of money in politics.

Our twelve-part Season 4 series on democracy touches on those concerns but goes much deeper, effectively retelling the story of the United States from its beginnings up to the present as we complicate, maybe upend, our listeners’ understanding of American history. Our series title, The Land That Never Has Been Yet, is borrowed from the Langston Hughes poem, “Let America Be America Again.”

They re-broadcasted ep 8 after Jan 6, with some extra comments, if you ever get there.

https://www.sceneonradio.org/rebroadcast-s4-e8-the-second-redemption/

MUW4Eva

Please elaborate, which parts are "good"??

The parts where you can get shot at any moment, at any place?

Just curious, as there is very little, if anything that I would say is "good" about America.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
California.
Home to Google. Twitter. Tesla, Apple.

All these parts are good, right?
A lot of Americans are salt of the earth types. Really nice people. Unfortunately there are way too many crazy types.
I’ve been here over 30 years and yet to see a gun pulled, not to mind fired.
maybe I’ve been lucky but of course in a county of 350m people you’re going to get some weird shit going on.

Still, I’m actively looking for a way out for myself (which really includes making sure my wife and kids will leave too).

neverdie

i think small a america which would include most americans is fine. big A America including the state which is basically a corporate plaything these days is fundamentally fecked and in dire need of change.

MUW4Eva

California.

A lot of Americans are salt of the earth types. Really nice people. Unfortunately there are way too many crazy types.
maybe I’ve been lucky but of course in a county of 350m people you’re going to get some weird shit going on.

Still, I’m actively looking for a way out for myself (which really includes making sure my wife and kids will leave too).
Ahh yes, Californa, home to the companies that pay no tax, wow, if that is the best or the good part of America.........

When pushing companies that pay no tax as the best of a country, you know that country is beyond help, beyond all redemption.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
i think small a america which would include most americans is fine. big A America including the state which is basically a corporate plaything these days is fundamentally fecked and in dire need of change.
Well put. Never heard it like this before & agree.

Didn’t know you knew how to capitalize letters!

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Ahh yes, Californa, home to the companies that pay no tax, wow, if that is the best or the good part of America.........

When pushing companies that pay no tax as the best of a country, you know that country is beyond help, beyond all redemption.
True the tax code needs a massive overhaul. You don’t like their products?
Out of curiosity, where do you live?
If not the US, have you lived here before?

MUW4Eva

True the tax code needs a massive overhaul. You don’t like their products?
Out of curiosity, where do you live?
If not the US, have you lived here before?
Nope, I have not lived in the US, been on holiday as a wee child, to Disney land, but that was over 25 years ago now.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Give this a listen.

https://www.sceneonradio.org/the-land-that-never-has-been-yet/

Over the past few years, the survival of the United States as a democratic republic has become a topic of national conversation—Trumpian authoritarianism; voter suppression and gerrymandering; concerns about foreign intervention, election security, and the role of money in politics.

Our twelve-part Season 4 series on democracy touches on those concerns but goes much deeper, effectively retelling the story of the United States from its beginnings up to the present as we complicate, maybe upend, our listeners’ understanding of American history. Our series title, The Land That Never Has Been Yet, is borrowed from the Langston Hughes poem, “Let America Be America Again.”

They re-broadcasted ep 8 after Jan 6, with some extra comments, if you ever get there.

https://www.sceneonradio.org/rebroadcast-s4-e8-the-second-redemption/
Thanks for posting this. Have listened to the first two episodes so far and am really enjoying it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm getting some odd feeling about 2024. As if everyone's just waiting for the 2024 election and multiple current events are building up to it.

• What to do about inflation?
  • Will the culture war get more heated and potentially violent?
  • Will Trump make another run?
  • Will the Dems go with Biden again?
  • Will the US still support Ukraine with money and weapons?
  • Will abortion become a hot topic in the 2024 election?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I'm getting some odd feeling about 2024. As if everyone's just waiting for the 2024 election and multiple current events are building up to it.

• What to do about inflation?
  • Will the culture war get more heated and potentially violent?
  • Will Trump make another run?
  • Will the Dems go with Biden again?
  • Will the US still support Ukraine with money and weapons?
  • Will abortion become a hot topic in the 2024 election?
1. By 2024 this is likely a minimal issue (hopefully)
2. 100%
3. 10000000% (+/- 5 billionity % depending on if he has been indicted)
4. Doubtful, but who knows.
5. Depends on who wins, although I hope this is a non issue by 2024!!!!!!!
6. Absolutely from the Dem side and GOP primary, but I bet the GOP hopes it goes away in the general.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Nope, I have not lived in the US, been on holiday as a wee child, to Disney land, but that was over 25 years ago now.
So which country do you live in?

The US has a lot of issues but it also has some positives. California in particular can be amazing.

The United

California.

I think I have seen a few people say that. If I may ask, looking for a way out to where?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I think I have seen a few people say that. If I may ask, looking for a way out to where?
I’ve mentioned it on here. I have tried to convince my wife to consider Canada (to no avail, 3 winters in WI was enough to ban a northern move forever) and we have discussed Ireland as well. Family
is keeping us here but we would be gone in a heartbeat if not for that.

RedDevilQuebecois

Not surprising when you see who those 18 are, but that doesn't make them less of a waste of oxygen. They are worth being dropped in Moscow.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Not even sure what thread to put this in but it genuinely made me chuckle