US Politics

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It's great that criticism of Israel is antisemitism and support of it is a shield against any accusations.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Wonder how they became so emboldened.... Could it be a certain party caters to that element? Hmm...

https://floridapolitics.com/archive...splays-showing-up-in-north-and-south-florida/
Disgust, horror greet ‘vile’ displays showing up in North and South Florida

Antisemitic messages stir condemnation from both sides of the aisle.

From North Florida to South Florida, antisemitic messages are suddenly showing up.

Sunday’s dawn revealed a homeowners’ association property had been defaced in Weston, after other, anti-Jewish sentiments were displayed around Jacksonville Friday and Saturday, most prominently at a full-capacity football game between University of Florida and the University of Georgia at the TIAA Bank Field stadium in Jacksonville.

U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who lives in Weston, put out a statement decrying it all — and called on more politicians to do the same.

“The recent spike in high-profile and public antisemitism, both in Northeast Florida and now with repeated cases in my own hometown of Weston, is a deeply alarming and heartbreaking trend,” said Wasserman Schultz’s statement, released through her office Sunday afternoon. “This hatred must be called out forcefully. It is incumbent on all of Florida’s leaders to unequivocally condemn this dangerous rhetoric.”

Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis tweeted about the Seminoles victory at its football game Saturday, but there was nothing about the antisemitic UF-UGA game incident, even though he reportedly attended Saturday night.

More in the link above.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He ain't gonna piss off his base in FL down the final stretch. I expect him to say something after the election if at all.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If that was political then the guy is messed up because if Nancy was there the secret police would be there as well, now if a 82 year man was violently assaulted with a hammer he wouldn’t leave the hospital for a long time.
Do you think a skull fracture only counts as a gentle assault with a hammer?

frostbite

This coming Sunday we are going to change our clocks again. I'd really prefer to stay in daylight saving time, and I searched in the news again to find out what is going on with that. It turns out that:

1. California has passed a bill to stay in daylight saving time. Waiting for the rest of the country.
2. The Senate has passed a bill to stay in daylight saving time. Unanimously!
3. The House is waiting! Why? I have no idea.

Introduced in House (01/04/2021)
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/69

What are they waiting for???

I know that pollsters predict that the Democrats will lose the House and I have seen a lot of explanations about the Economy. These are plausible explanations by people who know much more about politics than I do. But this little example tells me that most of our representatives in the House are simply not really good at their jobs. Sure, DST is not the most important thing in the world, but exactly that's why they should have finished with it by now. Why drag out something like this for months and years while the Senate has passed it unanimously?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
This coming Sunday we are going to change our clocks again. I'd really prefer to stay in daylight saving time, and I searched in the news again to find out what is going on with that. It turns out that:

1. California has passed a bill to stay in daylight saving time. Waiting for the rest of the country.
2. The Senate has passed a bill to stay in daylight saving time. Unanimously!
3. The House is waiting! Why? I have no idea.

Introduced in House (01/04/2021)
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/69

What are they waiting for???

I know that pollsters predict that the Democrats will lose the House and I have seen a lot of explanations about the Economy. These are plausible explanations by people who know much more about politics than I do. But this little example tells me that most of our representatives in the House are simply not really good at their jobs. Sure, DST is not the most important thing in the world, but exactly that's why they should have finished with it by now. Why drag out something like this for months and years while the Senate has passed it unanimously?
You seem to be under the impression that the reps and senators are there to represent the people's interests rather than to be politicians which is just picking a side and sticking it to the opposition to keep power.

Their job isn't to actually do anything other than make their friends rich.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The tribal stuff is weird to me. It's almost universally the right-wing that you'll see wearing hats and shirts with this or that politician's name (outside the election windows). Hanging flags in their yard, or on the porch, or on the boat. Keychains and other souvenirs. I don't get it. I understand the sports culture but when did the US political realm cross into a sports-styled team support faction?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The tribal stuff is weird to me. It's almost universally the right-wing that you'll see wearing hats and shirts with this or that politician's name (outside the election windows). Hanging flags in their yard, or on the porch, or on the boat. Keychains and other souvenirs. I don't get it. I understand the sports culture but when did the US political realm cross into a sports-styled team support faction?
Completely agree. The most political I get with clothing is when I wear an earth day or march for science t-shirt. Even when I campaigned for candidates I did not wear a T-shirt with their name. I think the answer to the question is that the right has morphed in a personality based “platform” as opposed to a policy platform. The result is that the MAGAites are invested in a person, not policies, and it is much easier to be “seduced” by a charismatic person than a policy/law, no matter how important that is.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So it is a safe bet that if (when) the Republicans take control of congress that they will launch nefarious investigations into anyone or anything in order to make Biden's life hell?
Absolutely. There's talk of impeachment proceedings beginning day one.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This could be a liberal conspiracy but I saw a couple threads on Twitter earlier suggesting that the polling might actually be leaning far too heavily towards Republicans at the moment because Republican‘s are influencing polling companies and urging them to lean heavily R so when the actual results come in and Democrats have surprise results, it plays heavily into their conspiracy theories around voter fraud and stolen elections

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This could be a liberal conspiracy but I saw a couple threads on Twitter earlier suggesting that the polling might actually be leaning far too heavily towards Republicans at the moment because Republican‘s are influencing polling companies and urging them to lean heavily R so when the actual results come in and Democrats have surprise results, it plays heavily into their conspiracy theories around voter fraud and stolen elections
Polling before 2020 was skewed to the left. I've stated that the reverse is happening this election cycle.

But that is some ten dimensional chess.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Polling before 2020 was skewed to the left. I've stated that the reverse is happening this election cycle.

But that is some ten dimensional chess.
Is it though? I’m not saying I necessarily believe it but look at how the Republicans operate - they cover every base when it comes to voter suppression and have gone all in on the stolen election and have already admitted on tape that they will be taking care of vote counts.

It’s a fairly short, linear, line from thinking “If Democrats win and were predicted to win then it’s a hard sell. If Democrats win and Republicans were predicted to win the whole country will believe it”

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
She has gone full Republican at this stage, right?
I had an associate try to claim the other day that she is still saying the same things she always has, it’s just the lurch to the left in the media & politics that makes her seem to be right wing now.

I just punted & changed the subject to college football. Less stressful.

Revan

Assumptionman
I had an associate try to claim the other day that she is still saying the same things she always has, it’s just the lurch to the left in the media & politics that makes her seem to be right wing now.

I just punted & changed the subject to college football. Less stressful.
Yeah, it is bullshit. Stopped following her on Twitter when every post of her was about God, protecting second amendment, war mongering Democrats, and against trans rights. Just checked and in meanwhile she has apparently endorsed half a dozen Republicans for senate.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The (few) people who called this result, also called that openly Republican pollsters were flooding the market with low quality junk. Showing similar margins for deep blue and swing seats, for example. RealClearPolitics is itself R-aligned, and would weigh these junk polls heavily (one agency was literally run by two high school students). 538 also weighed them heavily because one of them had done well in 2020.

The other aspect is that some respectable pollsters which had got it wrong before, also over-corrected, and they also ended up biased towards R. So in the end, polls in general were biased.

Some fun stuff about RCP and the quality of polls:

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
The (few) people who called this result, also called that openly Republican pollsters were flooding the market with low quality junk. Showing similar margins for deep blue and swing seats, for example. RealClearPolitics is itself R-aligned, and would weigh these junk polls heavily (one agency was literally run by two high school students). 538 also weighed them heavily because one of them had done well in 2020.

The other aspect is that some respectable pollsters which had got it wrong before, also over-corrected, and they also ended up biased towards R. So in the end, polls in general were biased.

Some fun stuff about RCP and the quality of polls:

Funnily enough I was going to revisit this once the results are all in. It seems the theory around the overestimating was spot on but to their credit(?!) I’ve seen very little in the way of denying the legitimacy of the results.

frostbite

Good news! (Not all Republicans are Evil!... )

<<Every election denier who sought to become the top election official in a critical battleground state lost at the polls this year, as voters roundly rejected extreme partisans who promised to restrict voting and overhaul the electoral process.>>

<<The Republican State Leadership Committee, which is the arm of the Republican National Committee that oversees races for secretary of state, chose only to back Brad Raffensperger, the Republican secretary of state in Georgia who famously rebuffed Mr. Trump’s request to “find” him enough votes to overturn the state’s results in 2020.

“Secretary Raffensperger is a principled conservative dedicated to making it easier to vote and harder to cheat, and we congratulate him on his re-election,” Dee Duncan, the president of the R.S.L.C., said in a statement.>>

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/12/us/politics/jim-marchant-nevada.html