US Politics

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I'm going to say it quietly for a fear of retribution but..

I thought the alphabet thing Jeffries did was a bit cringe

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I'm going to say it quietly for a fear of retribution but..

I thought the alphabet thing Jeffries did was a bit cringe
Maybe but it was still light years better than any Pelosi speech in 10+ years. At least it feels like the Democrats have new blood with some bite in charge. I'll take a little cringe over Pelosi's ineffective milquetoast.

sport2793

Honestly the Jeffries speech was more of a standard we would expect of a president than a congress leader. I can't even remember the last time there was a good orator in either the House or Senate, dare I say Sen. Obama? Definitely a person to watch in the coming years, although being a leader in the House rarely translates to successfully seeking executive power.

Revan

Assumptionman
Honestly the Jeffries speech was more of a standard we would expect of a president than a congress leader. I can't even remember the last time there was a good orator in either the House or Senate, dare I say Sen. Obama? Definitely a person to watch in the coming years, although being a leader in the House rarely translates to successfully seeking executive power.
Good point. Who is the last president who was a leader in either chambers? I guess Johnson so over half a century ago.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Good point. Who is the last president who was a leader in either chambers? I guess Johnson so over half a century ago.
Gerald Ford was the minority leader of the house.

e. Although he was not elected as President or VP.

ee. How quaint is it that Agnew (who Ford replaced) resigned as VP for being guilty of a single count of tax evasion (only $30k).

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Ford was the minority leader but wasn't exactly elected.

Bob dole is the last candidate to have been a leader of either chamber.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Ford was the minority leader but wasn't exactly elected.

Bob dole is the last candidate to have been a leader of either chamber.
Polk is the only Speaker to become president.

Johnson is the only Senate Majority leader to become president.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Gerald Ford was the minority leader of the house.

e. Although he was not elected as President or VP.

ee. How quaint is it that Agnew (who Ford replaced) resigned as VP for being guilty of a single count of tax evasion (only $30k).
That was a huge sum in those days

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Polk is the only Speaker to become president.

Johnson is the only Senate Majority leader to become president.
Both did a lot legislative wise which is compelling to think whether there was a relation to their expertise or not(in case of Johnson there definitely was).

Either case governorship seems to be the most electorally viable path to the white house with another fun fact being the dwindling of martial veterans in the job(every president from truman to HW had served in a ww).

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Adjusted to $140k-ish. Not small, but not exactly Trumpian.
True but that's what he admitted to, was probably more, and it's definitley more than Trump has admitted to!

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
TIL Gerald Ford wasn't born Gerald Ford. He was born Leslie Lynch King Jr. Which I guess would have been a pretty bad name to have as a politician in the 60s.
Had to google just to be sure. Fecking hell :lol:

Hamnat

Jeffries shouldn't want to be President honestly. Being the first Black Speaker of the house and third in line of succession is pretty good goal to shoot for a resume. He can build the rest of his career as being a powerful Speaker.

RoyH1

The more the nutjobs takeover on the R side, the better for Dems in 24.
Are you sure? Will there even be a normal democratic election in 2024? There's just a big of a chance that these people will take power via the courts or the mob.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Are you sure? Will there even be a normal democratic election in 2024? There's just a big of a chance that these people will take power via the courts or the mob.
The 2022 elections are a good indicator of how 2024 will play out. If there's one thing we learned, its that Americans are generally weary of Republican sillyness, which is animating more of them to vote. That's not to say the Dems will win the Presidency or even the House next time, but there's no chance of Republicans taking over given that their actions will only drive more Dems to vote.

RoyH1

The 2022 elections are a good indicator of how 2024 will play out. If there's one thing we learned, its that Americans are generally weary of Republican sillyness, which is animating more of them to vote. That's not to say the Dems will win the Presidency or even the House next time, but there's no chance of Republicans taking over given that their actions will only drive more Dems to vote.
For the good of the entire planet, I hope you're right

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The mob might try but forget the courts, the courts have already proved they won't go along with the nutjob stuff - and many of those were Trump's own appontees