g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

US Politics

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
You had to go on a bad day. Sorry it wasn’t up to its usual standards!
I've been more than once, I'm not saying it was bad, just not worth the hype IMO

I'll you one thing though, one of the best pizza's I've ever had was from a hole in the wall on the opposite side of LAX on Imperial, and I mean literally a hole in the wall

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I've been more than once, I'm not saying it was bad, just not worth the hype IMO

I'll you one thing though, one of the best pizza's I've ever had was from a hole in the wall on the opposite side of LAX on Imperial, and I mean literally a hole in the wall
Do you remember the name ?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Giro?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

@Sweet Square
Someone needs to make a virgin-chad meme with marx and zizek as the losers and jimmy dore and brie joy gray winning. "Vulgar" marxism is always correct. why bother with ideology and superstructure when everything is a simple economic transaction.

Sweet Square

@Sweet Square
Someone needs to make a virgin-chad meme with marx and zizek as the losers and jimmy dore and brie joy gray winning. "Vulgar" marxism is always correct. why bother with ideology and superstructure when everything is a simple economic transaction.
:lol:

Reminds of me this

I'm just about to start vol 2 of Capital but at this point it just seems useless.

lsd

The Oracle
I've been reading about George Santos today and again I really have to wonder just how dumb Americans actually are when you look at some of the absolute nutjobs they vote for.

You read about Marjorie Green and Lauren Boubert and you think well they can't get any more insane and then come George and Matt Gaetz.

What type of person votes for these idiots and why are there so many of them that they get elected? What makes them think this person should be in power?

What is wrong with America?

I grew up thinking America was this great country that stood above everyone else and now would be more than happy to see it wiped off the planet.

I know there are some crazy people elected elsewhere in the world but America seems to be in a league of their own

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Interesting but unsurprising result:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-35576-9
Using longitudinal survey data from US respondents linked to their Twitter feeds, we quantify the relationship between exposure to the Russian foreign influence campaign and attitudes and voting behavior in the 2016 US election. We demonstrate, first, that exposure to Russian disinformation accounts was heavily concentrated: only 1% of users accounted for 70% of exposures. Second, exposure was concentrated among users who strongly identified as Republicans. Third, exposure to the Russian influence campaign was eclipsed by content from domestic news media and politicians. Finally, we find no evidence of a meaningful relationship between exposure to the Russian foreign influence campaign and changes in attitudes, polarization, or voting behavior.

Main caveat seems to bee using twitter rather than facebook

Don't Kill Bill

@Sweet Square
If they were scared by the threat and changed their votes, is it fair to say they were Peterffyied of him?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
No worries, I had to look it up on Google Maps myself. I remember getting some pretty good pizza over in that area back in college. No idea if it was the same place that is there now.
This was 6-7 years ago, it was 2/3 way down the Hill frpm where the plane watching folks go, towards the 7-11 at the bottom

Last edited:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
So, republican house votes to abolish the irs and the income tax.

I just don't understand how most people, even a large portion of democratic voters, view them as better on the economy and deficits, when they are in fact, terrible on both.

Decades of trickle-down propaganda, i suppose.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

I just don't understand how most people, even a large portion of democratic voters, view them as better on the economy and deficits, when they are in fact, terrible on both.

It’s not a large portion of Democrats who believe that.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...arty-would-do-better-job-on-economy-poll/amp/

But, you are correct about the propaganda regarding the snow job that the GOP is better for the economy / deficits.

We are in for two years of performative horseshit votes that have zero chance in hell of actually being signed into law.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
It’s not a large portion of Democrats who believe that.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...arty-would-do-better-job-on-economy-poll/amp/

But, you are correct about the propaganda regarding the snow job that the GOP is better for the economy / deficits.

We are in for two years of performative horseshit votes that have zero chance in hell of actually being signed into law.
What's more concerning is that people still vote for them even when they know it is BS

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What's more concerning is that people still vote for them even when they know it is BS
Their talking points are just more effective & more voluminous which drives home their messaging. Being on the side of ‘cutting taxes, even it’s only for the rich / has sunsets for the every man, gives them the advantage in the minds of gullible / willfully ignorant / low education voters.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Their talking points are just more effective & more voluminous which drives home their messaging. Being on the side of ‘cutting taxes, even it’s only for the rich / has sunsets for the every man, gives them the advantage in the minds of gullible / willfully ignorant / low education voters.
What you mean is that basically they lie better!

Hamnat

The Mysterious, Unregistered Fund That Raised Big Money for Santos
A month before George Santos was elected to Congress, one of his large donors received a call asking him to consider making another sizable contribution.

The request came from a Republican loyalist calling on behalf of RedStone Strategies, which was described in an email to the donor as an “independent expenditure” group that was supporting Mr. Santos’s bid to flip a Democratic House seat in New York. The group had already raised $800,000 and was seeking to raise another $700,000, according to the email, which was reviewed by The New York Times.

The donor came through: Days later, on Oct. 21, he sent $25,000 to a Wells Fargo Bank account belonging to RedStone Strategies.

Three months later, Mr. Santos is now in Congress, but where the donor’s money went is unclear. The Federal Election Commission said it had no evidence that RedStone Strategies was registered as a political group, and there do not appear to be any records documenting its donors, contributions or spending.
Yet the F.E.C. has no record of RedStone Strategies. The Daily Beast has reported that Redstone Strategies LLC of Florida had a connection to Mr. Santos, but the existence of a group operating under the name RedStone raising large sums of money for his election has not previously been revealed.

“I don’t see a record by a committee of that name registered with the F.E.C., and our regulations would be if a political group raises more than $1,000 for the purpose of influencing a federal election, they would be required to register with the F.E.C. within 10 days,” said Christian Hilland, an F.E.C. spokesman.
In the end it will be the money trails that land Santos in the biggest trouble. The over the top lies and made up background are one thing. But, there's just so much murky, shady money and where is it coming from and how did he get access to it as such a huge fraud. From stealing checkbooks in Brazil and being evicted from non payment of rent a few years ago to suddenly millionaire status during his campaign.

Yet he will likely be paid for his McCarthy as Speaker votes by getting as much assistance as possible from the GOP in downplaying the scandals. It will be up to the investigations into these funds to actually do anything about him. Otherwise he will linger until he can be challenged in the next election cycle.

hodgey123

Unsure if this has gone over my head but can't see anything regarding bolded, unless you mean votes regarding IRS funding?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Great to see the GOP tackling important things like inflation, gas prices, and poverty.

NotThatSoph

It's going to be a long 2 years

'Taxation is theft' is very Ayn Rand/Objectivism. Not exclusively, of course, you'll find it among other strands of libertarians, but those specifically seem to love it a lot. On Norwegian foras around late 00s/early 10s we had a lot of "taxation is rape", or just comparisons to rape when they didn't want to be too literal. Did you guys over the pond ever have that? It was pretty parallel to the online Ron Paul craze.

@nimic you might or might not be familiar with Onar Åm? It's his disicples I'm talking about (I have the very dubious honor of deconverting one of them. It took like a year and I don't think it really achieved much in the end.)

nimic

something nice
Scout
'Taxation is theft' is very Ayn Rand/Objectivism. Not exclusively, of course, you'll find it among other strands of libertarians, but those specifically seem to love it a lot. On Norwegian foras around late 00s/early 10s we had a lot of "taxation is rape", or just comparisons to rape when they didn't want to be too literal. Did you guys over the pond ever have that? It was pretty parallel to the online Ron Paul craze.

@nimic you might or might not be familiar with Onar Åm? It's his disicples I'm talking about (I have the very dubious honor of deconverting one of them. It took like a year and I don't think it really achieved much in the end.)
His name doesn't ring any bells, but I'm familiar with Ekte Nyheter, which is ironically named.