US Politics

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
What’s the view here about Speaker Johnson? He hasn’t been bad, I guess. He actually is trying to work with Democrats.
He’s also, probably, a Russian asset. Will not let the Ukraine bill have a vote even though it had 70 votes in the senate and would pass with a large majority in the house if he let it get a vote.

ManUtd1999

Didn't he decline a border deal because that's what Trump wanted?
Yes, but he hasn’t be a NO-man for everything. I guess that’s what I meant.

He’s also, probably, a Russian asset. Will not let the Ukraine bill have a vote even though it had 70 votes in the senate and would pass with a large majority in the house if he let it get a vote.
I never thought about it that way… but who knows with these GOP. Am I being too nice?

The United

What’s the view here about Speaker Johnson? He hasn’t been bad, I guess. He actually is trying to work with Democrats.
Is he really, though? His majority is very thin, and it is a bit logical to have to work with Democrats on ONE important stuff like the budget. But I am out of loop with the rest of the stuff except for Tik Tok banning, which is nothing really worth talking about.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
No, thats just what he says he is trying to do, what he is actually doing, is stalling everything down on purpose, he doesn't want to pass anything but CRs.

Dems, in my opinon, made a big mistake backing Gaetz little vendetta, leaving them stuck with a speaker who is 100% captured by Trump, Ukraine is paying the price, and will continue to do so.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
No, thats just what he says he is trying to do, what he is actually doing, is stalling everything down on purpose, he doesn't want to pass anything but CRs.

Dems, in my opinon, made a big mistake backing Gaetz little vendetta, leaving them stuck with a speaker who is 100% captured by Trump, Ukraine is paying the price, and will continue to do so.
Nah, they did the right thing. Kevin had every opportunity to negotiate with the Dems to secure their support (or likely indifference via "present" votes) in in stopping it, but he refused to do so. If he refused to negotiate when even his lifelong dream was in jeopardy he would never do so, for anything.

Hamnat

Just watching snippets of this farce Biden impeachment hearing. I mean the GOP should just want to stop the bleeding here it is utterly embarrassing. They have absolutely NOTHING and it's just giving the Dems on the committee highlight reel stuff calling out the nonsense. When Rep Lynch was calling them out for having the audacity to Zoom call in as a star witness a convicted felon who was in prison for robbing pensions you cant get any more desperate and they are just showing it.

nimic

something nice
Scout
parody irrelevant etc

On the "things I didn't believe about life in the US the first time I heard of them" list, schools rounding up or even arresting kids for skipping school is prominently featured. Also on the list are jaywalking, wearing shoes inside homes, checks still being a thing and schools being locked down during school hours. I realize some of these things are common outside of the US too, it's just my naive Norwegian brain thinking I understand the US and then realizing I don't.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Apple lawsuit: US accuses tech giant of monopolising smartphone market

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68628989

Is this anything other than posturing? All I can is that Huawei were becoming a pretty big competitor in the smartphone market right up until the point their entire organisation were sanctioned. "Competition" at that point was pretty much scuppered by these same folk, surely?

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
My employer pays me through direct deposit into my bank account. My landlord only accepts physical cheques for rent.

My landlord is my employer.
He's giving you time for the check to clear to allow you to make sure there's money in your account

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
You won't find many cheque books in the UK anymore. Most business won't accept them, and I think it's only business accounts that can get issued a cheque book as most banks don't offer them to personal account holders anymore. I'd say all banks but my mate has an account with Coutts and he still has a personal cheque book. I can't honestly remember the last time I saw a cheque to be honest.

Mind you, last week over two days of relatively busy trading when I was on shift, one day only ONE person paid in cash, and the other day about 5 paid in cash. It's normally roughly about 75/80% card to 25/20% cash now.

Precaution

My employer pays me through direct deposit into my bank account. My landlord only accepts physical cheques for rent.

My landlord is my employer.
Employer Landlord: Rent this month is late as your Cheque Bounced

You: you didn't pay me on time

Employer Landlord: Not my problem, that'll be $150 late fee.

*Cue Curb your Enthusiasm music*

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

Vacant, until November, if this is true, good stuff.

Revan

Assumptionman
What happens if another GOP rep leaves and both parties have the same number of representatives? In senate, in such cases, the majority leader is from the same party that controls the presidency (essentially the VP breaks the deadlock), but I have no idea what happens in the House.

RedDevilQuebecois

Here we go again.

They just never know when to stop.

What's the story here? Is he the maga type or an old school republican?
Clearly old school. He is only 40 years old and was seen as the future of the GOP.

Trump may die or be removed from any form of relevance because of lawsuits, but it looks like the MAGA stench is there to stay with the GOP for a long time when people like Kinzinger and Gallagher are fed up.

jrsenior

You wonder if the whole movement unravels without Trump though. Remember the tea party, what happened to them?