US Politics

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
It's cute how he doesn't do the grandstanding press signings when it's bills he doesn't want much media coverage and public awareness.

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/d...ing-heat-protection-laws-for-outdoor-workers/
DeSantis signs bill banning heat protection laws for outdoor workers

Rather than sign the bill at a press conference, as DeSantis usually does, the Florida governor opted to quietly sign the controversial bill and announce it during a Thursday night press release alongside nine other bills.

The bill, passed by the Florida Senate in March 2024, makes it so local governments can not require companies to “meet or provide heat exposure requirements beyond those required by law.” Miami-Dade County commissioners took up an ordinance last year that would require employers to provide access to water and breaks in the shade on especially hot days, but it was deferred to this spring.

The ordinance was the culmination of a years-long campaign from local workers’ rights groups in response to heat-related illnesses and deaths in industries such as construction and agriculture.

Currently, there are no federal or state laws ensuring protection from heat exposure for those working outdoors.

RedDevilQuebecois

So, Marge, do you know now what your punishment is for COLOSSAL FAILURE? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Feck you, you Russian bot version of Gollum!

Last edited:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Didn't have this on my bingo card.
The only reason he might do it is because he has recieved words that the discharge petition would move forwards otherwise, thats all there is to this.

It has absolutely nothing to do with doing the right thing, he himself has been playing politics with this for half a year, and Ukraine has suffered greatly as a result.

He can go feck himself, and no democrat better vote to save him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Didn't have this on my bingo card.
It is somewhat of a surprise given he didn't have to do it to stay in office. He knows the nutjob caucus won't do anything to oust him either since multiple Dems have already said they would vote to keep him if he pushes Ukraine aid forward, and there aren't enough MAGA R's who can vote against him in lieu of Dems who would support him. So all things said, he is emboldened to ignore his right flank on this.

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

Not related to the Mar-a-Lago documents case, but WTF? :eek: :lol:

A grassroot Trump supporter is initiating that stuff in front of that lousy judge Cannon.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Not related to the Mar-a-Lago documents case, but WTF? :eek: :lol:

A grassroot Trump supporter is initiating that stuff in front of that lousy judge Cannon.
The state of US politics is not only the crazy people in congress and senate being useless. Is the few sane defending the US of this useless crap. They are overloading the system. Time is not used for anything useful even for the ones that could do something

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
What a massive waste of time and money. Of all the offensive shite Gaetz and his Maga cohort are doing, I give zero fecks about him getting high at a party. Dems are just having a mare here.

MarylandMUFan

What a massive waste of time and money. Of all the offensive shite Gaetz and his Maga cohort are doing, I give zero fecks about him getting high at a party. Dems are just having a mare here.
I don't think it's the Dems doing this. House committees are run by Republicans (this one is run by a Mississippi republican named Michael Guest) and I don't think stuff happens without the approval of the Chair. This is one corrupt GOP congressman going after the sleazy Matt Gaetz for this:

"During his CPAC session entitled “Burning Down the House,” Gaetz directed attacks at House Ethics chair Michael Guest (R-Miss.) over stock trading, which Guest has reported on his financial disclosures. Gaetz said Guest has “become a brilliant stock trader while in office.” "

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
This has nothing to do with the Dems, House committees are led by the party in charge, Republican's at this time, this is a backdoor attempt to get Gaetz removed like they did with Santos

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think it's the Dems doing this. House committees are run by Republicans (this one is run by a Mississippi republican named Michael Guest) and I don't think stuff happens without the approval of the Chair. This is one corrupt GOP congressman going after the sleazy Matt Gaetz for this:

"During his CPAC session entitled “Burning Down the House,” Gaetz directed attacks at House Ethics chair Michael Guest (R-Miss.) over stock trading, which Guest has reported on his financial disclosures. Gaetz said Guest has “become a brilliant stock trader while in office.” "
Not a particularly stellar couple of weeks for Gaetz after McCarthy just trashed him last week.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Not a particularly stellar couple of weeks for Gaetz after McCarthy just trashed him last week.

We can only hope that Florida 1 comes to its senses later this year

WPMUFC

The SVR director just high-fived everyone in the office.

One woman wearing a Trump mugshot T-shirt that read “Not Guilty” told reporter Vaughn Hillyard, “I think that people are just ridiculous that they think that Putin’s just such this enemy. He isn’t doing anything, he just wants back what was his.”

Hillyard countered, “But he invaded Ukraine, killing thousands of people.”

“That’s fine,” the woman responded. “That’s fine with me.”

Hillyard next asked a man, also wearing a Trump mugshot T-shirt, “You’re a veteran yourself. Does it concern you at all that Russian aggression could move even beyond Ukraine?”

“I don’t think Putin’s a problem, I think Zelensky’s the problem,” the man said.

Another claimed, “This administration’s trying to start a war with Russia. Putin’s not our enemy.”
https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trum...tells-her-putins-killed-thousands-in-ukraine/

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Rundown of the votes on today's bills:

HR 8038: To authorise the President to impose certain sanctions on Russia and Iran (also divestiture of TikTok)
  • Passes - 360 : 58 (186r/174d) : (25r/33d)
HR 8036: Aid to indo-pacific region (Taiwan)
  • Passes - 385 : 34 : 1 (178r/207d) : (34r/0d) : (0r:1d)
HR 8035: Aid to Ukraine
  • Passes - 311 : 112 : 1 (101r/210d) : (112r/0d) : (1r/0d)
  • More Republicans voted against the resolution than for it.
MTJ Amendment to 8035: Reduce all dollar amounts in the Ukraine aid bill to zero
  • Fails - 70 : 351 (70r/0d) : (139r/212d)
HR 8034: Aid to Israel
  • Passes - 366 : 58 (193r/173d) : (21r/37d)

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Rundown of the votes on today's bills:

HR 8038: To authorise the President to impose certain sanctions on Russia and Iran (also divestiture of TikTok)
  • Passes - 360 : 58 (186r/174d) : (25r/33d)
HR 8036: Aid to indo-pacific region (Taiwan)
  • Passes - 385 : 34 : 1 (178r/207d) : (34r/0d) : (0r:1d)
HR 8035: Aid to Ukraine
  • Passes - 311 : 112 : 1 (101r/210d) : (112r/0d) : (1r/0d)
  • More Republicans voted against the resolution than for it.
MTJ Amendment to 8035: Reduce all dollar amounts in the Ukraine aid bill to zero
  • Fails - 70 : 351 (70r/0d) : (139r/212d)
HR 8034: Aid to Israel
  • Passes - 366 : 58 (193r/173d) : (21r/37d)
The no votes on Israel are pretty interesting. On the left, you have the squad and other like minded progressives. On the right, you have isolationists and others considered so far to the right that their political philosophies are closer to white nationalism (ie. anti-semites) than traditional Republicanism.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Trey Radel for coke.
Seems a very different situation. Radel got busted trying to buy from an undercover and then the Florida GOP wanted him to resign which he eventually did.

Different situation from the House launching an investigation to try to catch someone getting high. Either way I don't support the House wasting time, money and resources trying to catch someone getting high which is very far from the worst offense of elected officials since it only affects themselves.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Seems a very different situation. Radel got busted trying to buy from an undercover and then the Florida GOP wanted him to resign which he eventually did.

Different situation from the House launching an investigation to try to catch someone getting high. Either way I don't support the House wasting time, money and resources trying to catch someone getting high which is very far from the worst offense of elected officials since it only affects themselves.
The party is probably the same one he was alledgely shagging a 17 year old at. Gaetz is a obstructionist sleazy asshole and getting rid of politicians like that is a good use of time and effort, it might enable some stuff to get done

RedDevilQuebecois

Wow! Wow! I mean... WOW! :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the cover of today's edition of New York Post and #MoscowMarjorie is trending out there.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Wow! Wow! I mean... WOW! :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the cover of today's edition of New York Post and #MoscowMarjorie is trending out there.

I think people are just sick and tired of her. The Republicans seem to me to be distancing themselves from her as much as possible.

She tried to introduce a bill that would reduce the money to Ukraine to $0 but it failed. Since then she's been online just going on and on and on about the Dems waving Ukrainian flags after the budget bill passed and slamming the new speaker saying he's a Democrat plant.

From what I can see, it seems that Republicans are distancing themselves from her as they have realised she's as thick as pig shit, and at the same time she's a political hand grenade. She's definitely not receiving the support she did previously.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Funny thing is she thinks she is super popular, actually, no self-awareness.

She represents a super-red district in Georgia, and thinks that means she is speaking for the entire state, god, i hope she runs for state-wide office in 26.

Last edited:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Anyway, before the aid-package passes, i expect Rand Paul to delay it a bit with grandstanding/concern trolling about the deficit and whatnot.

Wouldn't be US politics without it.

Mike Smalling

He won't do it but imagine Trump picking Greene as his VP.
It’d be hilarious, but also an absolutely moronic strategy that I wouldn’t even expect Trump to pursue. He already has the voters MTG appeals to. He needs to make another Mike Pence type pick to gain with a specific voter group and to make him appear more palatable.