g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Utd concerned that Jose will resign in May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Jose has said he's no intention of resigning so what purpose does this serve?
Yesterdays presser proved nothing, he was hardly likely to say he was leaving in May.

He's said he'll stay as long as the club want him, well if Ed and the Board don't come up with the money he thinks he needs is that not a sign to him(Mourinho)that they don't really want him to stay ?

There's mileage in this yet, even if he signs a new contract

TheReligion

Abusive
Yesterdays presser proved nothing, he was hardly likely to say he was leaving in May.

He's said he'll stay as long as the club want him, well if Ed and the Board don't come up with the money he thinks he needs is that not a sign to him(Mourinho)that they don't really want him to stay ?

There's mileage in this yet, even if he signs a new contract
There's mileage in him resigning?

Hes just called the whole thing garbage, reiterated he wants to stay and extend and has never resigned from a job in his life.

Cant see where you're going with this one..

desmondisback

I've yet to see an elite coach that tells the players to go out and express themselves.
Oh dear - your goalkeeper has just kicked the ball into his own net I'm afraid. I'll let the great man defend me.

What was it like to play under Alex Ferguson?

"At United, we came to Carrington and worked our bollocks off, but we never felt like we went to work
He was an absolute treat. I met Patrice Evra a while back and he said he was enjoying life at Juventus but it was like going to work. At United, we came to Carrington and worked our bollocks off, but we never felt like we went to work. The gaffer always wanted us to
express ourselves." (OLE GUNNAR SOLSKJAER)

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...nly-spoke-teddy-half-time#TW6xRdRQHzIx9BY0.99

Argues that the brand of football isn't important but proceeds to argue for attacking football. Lol.
"Brand" implies something superficial and flaky to me as if football is just about entertainment or advertising. It is not. Attacking football is something entirely different. It's a tactic and philosophy for winning games. Apparently , you can win games by being attacking and positive. I'm sure it's happened at least once.

The confusion of the two is in your head not mine.

::sonny::

The fact he lives in London is absurd, you cannot live in a hotel

It's not serious

wolvored

It will all depend on whether we finish top 4 as if we dont one way or another it will be all over for him and Utd

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
What? Conte won the league. I'd take 1 league title over 20 carrabao cups.

His method "works" against Southampton , Hull , Celta Vigo , Ajax. It's not working against stiff opposition. Also , bear in mind that we so nearly blew it against Vigo by mindlessly sitting way too deep late in the game when we should have had it sewn up.
You're talking as if jose has never won the league.

SwSw

Oh dear - your goalkeeper has just kicked the ball into his own net I'm afraid. I'll let the great man defend me.

What was it like to play under Alex Ferguson?

"At United, we came to Carrington and worked our bollocks off, but we never felt like we went to work
He was an absolute treat. I met Patrice Evra a while back and he said he was enjoying life at Juventus but it was like going to work. At United, we came to Carrington and worked our bollocks off, but we never felt like we went to work. The gaffer always wanted us to
express ourselves." (OLE GUNNAR SOLSKJAER)

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...nly-spoke-teddy-half-time#TW6xRdRQHzIx9BY0.99

"Brand" implies something superficial and flaky to me as if football is just about entertainment or advertising. It is not. Attacking football is something entirely different. It's a tactic and philosophy for winning games. Apparently , you can win games by being attacking and positive. I'm sure it's happened at least once.

The confusion of the two is in your head not mine.
Oh dear, you don't really have much common sense do you? Sure, you can express yourself in the final third or within a limited capacity. That's perfectly alright. But again, you have to pick on such points to drive home your point, pretty much show how you've lost the debate tbh.

You're the one championing an attacking football as brand. Long story short, you're just hating pragmatic football and wish us to play attacking football for your own selfish needs. FYI, you can win games by being pragmatic. It happened many times before. So, maybe, just maybe, stop twisting everything and admit that you're just hating on Jose because his brand of football doesn't suit your needs.

FYI, i've met many individuals like you on reddit. Is always the same MO.

Ranchero

Story breaking all over Twitter this evening.

:nervous:

Which big club would touch him? PSG? Nah. He has has been a relative failure at United, as far as they would be concerned. While Mo can sell a Europa League and a League Cup win as a success, nobody abroad would see it that way.

It would be better that he kept single-mindedly fixed on United, and adapt his style to the modern way, and get United back at the top of the table. That is what he was brought in for.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
It would be better that he kept single-mindedly fixed on United, and adapt his style to the modern way, and get United back at the top of the table. That is what he was brought in for.
"My intention is to stay and to work and to improve and to bring the club to where the club belongs."

Un4givableB

Everbody should be under pressure to do better & dig deeper at Utd,that includes the board.I'm glad that Mourinho is putting pressure on the board at OT to find more money for players,that what strong managers do.

I'm sure the glazers would like some forelock tugger(grateful to the job) like Moyes or some professional gigolo(only cares about his wages) like Capello instead.

AshRK

He doesn't need to resign, he just finds a way to get himself sacked(mutual consent my eye) ;)
You are thinking too much. Jose has himself said he wants to stay beyond 3 years but you don't believe that but believe the crap the media writes. Trust me it's not a healthy habit if you believe rumours more than man''s own words.

iam_kramer

Who is picking up the hotel bill? Trivial matter I know, but clubs usually foot the bills while contracts are being signed and the manager is settling in, when do they take that away though?

I'm not that bothered that he's not living in a house, he's got an apartment in a hotel. It can't be that bad, but while results are iffy and the team's unable to play consistently well people will look for reasons.

desmondisback

Oh dear, you don't really have much common sense do you? Sure, you can express yourself in the final third or within a limited capacity. That's perfectly alright. But again, you have to pick on such points to drive home your point, pretty much show how you've lost the debate tbh.

You're the one championing an attacking football as brand. Long story short, you're just hating pragmatic football and wish us to play attacking football for your own selfish needs. FYI, you can win games by being pragmatic. It happened many times before. So, maybe, just maybe, stop twisting everything and admit that you're just hating on Jose because his brand of football doesn't suit your needs.

FYI, i've met many individuals like you on reddit. Is always the same MO.

Hmmmm. You seem to know an awful lot about someone you have actually never met. What are my selfish needs I wonder? You seem to know me better than myself , maybe you can tell me? lol

FYI Attacking , positive football can be pragmatic - very pragmatic. I hated Mous tactics versus City , Chelsea , Liverpool because they seemed to give us very little chance of winning and every chance of losing (which we did twice). What made them most boring for me was because I couldn't see us achieving anything by them. I'm a pragmatist like you , I just totally disagree with you on the tactics. If Palace can play a pressing aggressive game against City and get a 0-0 draw at home why can't we?

I understand that the Fergie quote was difficult for you to read because I assume even you couldn't convince yourself that SAF wasn't an elite manager. Sorry that I drove it home and mercilessly took advantage of your mistake - but you did leave me an open goal, yes?

I don't need to admit anything other than the belief that if a football team shows another football team way way way too much respect and forgets to try and play some positive quality football themselves then it ain't gonna end well.

eat_grass

This is from October 17, 2017. The press just recycles stories, that's all. Notice how Mourinho isn't flattered by their pretend concern about his staying.

"Why is Manchester United not the kind of club where you can see yourself ending your managerial career?"

full press conference video

Last edited:

SwSw

Hmmmm. You seem to know an awful lot about someone you have actually never met. What are my selfish needs I wonder? You seem to know me better than myself , maybe you can tell me? lol

FYI Attacking , positive football can be pragmatic - very pragmatic. I hated Mous tactics versus City , Chelsea , Liverpool because they seemed to give us very little chance of winning and every chance of losing (which we did twice). What made them most boring for me was because I couldn't see us achieving anything by them. I'm a pragmatist like you , I just totally disagree with you on the tactics. If Palace can play a pressing aggressive game against City and get a 0-0 draw at home why can't we?

I understand that the Fergie quote was difficult for you to read because I assume even you couldn't convince yourself that SAF wasn't an elite manager. Sorry that I drove it home and mercilessly took advantage of your mistake - but you did leave me an open goal, yes?

I don't need to admit anything other than the belief that if a football team shows another football team way way way too much respect and forgets to try and play some positive quality football themselves then it ain't gonna end well.
Nope, i knew SAF was an elite manager. I didn't leave you with an open goal because you took an outlier and made a conclusion out of it. If anything, you just made yourself look like a fool.

desmondisback

Nope, i knew SAF was an elite manager. I didn't leave you with an open goal because you took an outlier and made a conclusion out of it. If anything, you just made yourself look like a fool.

Nevertheless you implied quite clearly that the idea of a manager telling his players to go out and express themselves was almost laughable to you. I knew you were wrong. I searched the net. It didn't take long to find it.

You seem to have missed the idea that expression on a football pitch IS pragmatic , why? , because if you fill your players with fear and negativity and imply that the other team is way better than them(so much so that you must cower in your box and hoof it) then it is very poor psychology. That's why SAF was obviously into developing expression in his players.

Mourinho is not into this any more . He is a shadow of himself. He can win minor cups still but when it comes to the crunch he retreats back into dire negativity. Something really toxic happened at Chelsea. He's still not recovered IMO.

Last edited:

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Why is this thread still going? What managers ever resign from top positions? He’d lose out on money so that’s never going to happen.

He called it garbage so I’m not sure why this is even still being discussed. Move on.

mark_a

Anyone who can't see this stuff is all created, blown up or taken out of context by the press to create a story is stupid. Of course then the press ask him about the stupid sh*t and criticise him for looking p*ssed off with the question! Win:win for the press.

How about they ask Conte about his tenure due to the poor title defence?!

desmondisback

This is from October 17, 2017. The press just recycles stories, that's all. Notice how Mourinho isn't flattered by their pretend concern about his staying.

"Why is Manchester United not the kind of club where you can see yourself ending your managerial career?"

full press conference video

He clearly sounds defensive to me. He clearly isn't that committed beyond his contract. He knows he's been asked a pertinent question and you can see his unease even though he tries to play it cool.

He thinks it is "impossible" for him to be there beyond 3,4,5 years or stay for 10-15 years. But not because he will want to leave , it's because "it's impossible" . Therefore he's implying that he would get the sack at some point. However , if he really believes he is still the "special one" then why would United sack the special one. If he has confidence that he can bring even some of the glory days back , then why would he be sacked? Who would sack a successful special one? Unless of course he is anticipating falling out with someone at the club ( like a female club doctor maybe?) or creating a load of tension and aggro. Apparently this can happen I've heard.

It's all a smokescreen to me. He doesn't really want to commit to anything longer than 3 years so makes it about football clubs and how "it's impossible". He can then avoid saying anything like - "I'd love to think that ending my career is possible and that I would be successful enough for that to happen" - because he doesn't want to say it.

In short , he makes it about something else so he can avoid saying what we all know - he always has ants in his pants. His career shows this , but he can't own it with integrity , because of course , it's an "impossibility".

And yet he says this at a club that has shown that it is prepared to have a manager stay for 26 years. So it is possible. Doh!

TheReligion

Abusive

Mourinho's unhappy. He's lost the players. The end is nigh.
This thread needs to die a slow death.

The boss has answered all questions asked of him and branded the reports garbage. He's even explained his living arrangements yet people still aren't happy. Essentially if the club wants him to stay he'll stay.

Womp

idiot
He clearly sounds defensive to me. He clearly isn't that committed beyond his contract. He knows he's been asked a pertinent question and you can see his unease even though he tries to play it cool.

He thinks it is "impossible" for him to be there beyond 3,4,5 years or stay for 10-15 years. But not because he will want to leave , it's because "it's impossible" . Therefore he's implying that he would get the sack at some point. However , if he really believes he is still the "special one" then why would United sack the special one. If he has confidence that he can bring even some of the glory days back , then why would he be sacked? Who would sack a successful special one? Unless of course he is anticipating falling out with someone at the club ( like a female club doctor maybe?) or creating a load of tension and aggro. Apparently this can happen I've heard.

It's all a smokescreen to me. He doesn't really want to commit to anything longer than 3 years so makes it about football clubs and how "it's impossible". He can then avoid saying anything like - "I'd love to think that ending my career is possible and that I would be successful enough for that to happen" - because he doesn't want to say it.

In short , he makes it about something else so he can avoid saying what we all know - he always has ants in his pants. His career shows this , but he can't own it with integrity , because of course , it's an "impossibility".

And yet he says this at a club that has shown that it is prepared to have a manager stay for 26 years. So it is possible. Doh!
Simply put - no. The days of managers staying at clubs for decades is gone, you don't need some sort of mental analysis like you just went through to try and justify it. It's a results business now, just because he thinks he won't stay that long doesn't mean it's because he sees falling out with someone, or because he might not be successful. He won the league at Chelsea with ease, had a few months of bad form and was sacked. Ancelotti won the CL with Madrid and was let go of, Di Matteo, Ancelotti at Chelsea, LVG etc. etc. the list goes on, it's endless. He could win us the CL but then a season or two of bad form or reshaping the squad and he'd be out. Conte won the league last year and went through like 3-4 bad results and there were murmurs about him getting sacked ffs. Zidane has won back to back CL's, though would you be surprised to see him sacked at the end of the season if Madrid don't improve this season? That's the game we're in now.

That's why he said what he did. Simply put, he'll stay as long as the club wants/needs him to. There's no point saying you're going to stay for the rest of your career, it's impractical to think so.

SwSw

Nevertheless you implied quite clearly that the idea of a manager telling his players to go out and express themselves was almost laughable to you. I knew you were wrong. I searched the net. It didn't take long to find it.

You seem to have missed the idea that expression on a football pitch IS pragmatic , why? , because if you fill your players with fear and negativity and imply that the other is way better than them(so much so that you must cower in your box and hoof it) then it is very poor psychology. That's why SAF was obviously into developing expression in his players.

Mourinho is not into this any more . He is a shadow of himself. He can win minor cups still but when it comes to the crunch he retreats back into dire negativity. Something really toxic happened at Chelsea. He's still not recovered IMO.
OH please. I never said is wrong for managers to tell their players to go out and express themselves. I stated that it should have been done within a controlled capacity. I think we can all agree that if a fullback decides to express himself by playing near the striker, he should be told off.

You are assuming being cautious, defensive is being filled with fear and negativity. Defensive football is not negative football. Your argument only holds if the rule books defined offensive football as positive football.

He won minor cups with a badly invested team. Pep, last year won nothing despite having a better team. And he had to invest a ton of money to be competitive. Arguing that Mourinho is past it when he inherited a weaker side is plain silly. Give him the funds and let him compete on equal grounds. If he fecks it up, then we can all take our pitch forks out.

Foxbatt

there is a very good article by Xavi about Barca and Real and Athletico and other coaches like Jose, Pep and Simeone etc. And Why Barca plays a different way and why others can also play the same way but they do not. If Jose does go then it will be interesting to see who will United look for.

desmondisback

OH please. I never said is wrong for managers to tell their players to go out and express themselves. I stated that it should have been done within a controlled capacity. I think we can all agree that if a fullback decides to express himself by playing near the striker, he should be told off.

You are assuming being cautious, defensive is being filled with fear and negativity. Defensive football is not negative football. Your argument only holds if the rule books defined offensive football as positive football.

He won minor cups with a badly invested team. Pep, last year won nothing despite having a better team. And he had to invest a ton of money to be competitive. Arguing that Mourinho is past it when he inherited a weaker side is plain silly. Give him the funds and let him compete on equal grounds. If he fecks it up, then we can all take our pitch forks out.

However what you did say was pretty darn close to that. Surely you are not disingenuously suggesting that this wasn't what you were implying? You said " I've yet to see an elite coach that tells the players to go out and express themselves."

Mind you I will give you the benefit of the doubt since we both want the same thing , United to play effective football. I think your point about full backs playing alongside strikers is just a bit silly really. This sort of thing only happens regularly in kids football. No professional full back is ever going to intentionally do that for long periods.

But I would argue that a fullback should not feel as if he is going to be told off if he finds himself in that position or drifts into an attack. Good managers allow for some of this because it creates space , surprise and can work really well. You may have heard of total football? I didn't have a problem with Evra turning up in weird positions in attack for example and I'm sure he wasn't told off by SAF for doing so. It seemed to work well at times.

You are right to say that defensive football is not necessarily negative football , but it often becomes that if it's not combined with quality and incisive counter attacking. Otherwise you have no threat. A real offensive threat on the break is a great form of defence. There's no better way of defending than breaking on your opponents and nearly scoring because they have thrown too many men forward. It makes them think twice about pressing you too hard or doing it again. You simply cannot see defence and attack as separate. They are not.

Interestingly , one of the things that Jose seems to do (eg Liverpool away) is restrict the movement of players out of their positions so much that it stifles any expression. The result? Players become too disciplined and too rigid and fearful and keep too much to the "2 lines of 4 (or 5)" approach. So much so that when they win the ball back there's no proper movement and expression or real desire to attack , the move then predictably breaks down , opposition wins the ball again and we camp in our own box. Over and over and over again , this sorry parade of hopeless negativity was played out at Anfield and it was a bloody good job we had De Gea in goal that day.

This is what I can hoofball and it's not defensive , positive or even proper counter attacking , and it's a poor cousin of what his old Chelsea teams actually did. It's beyond me how you cannot see how pants it is , Pogba or no Pogba.

SwSw

However what you did say was pretty darn close to that. Surely you are not disingenuously suggesting that this wasn't what you were implying? You said " I've yet to see an elite coach that tells the players to go out and express themselves."

Mind you I will give you the benefit of the doubt since we both want the same thing , United to play effective football. I think your point about full backs playing alongside strikers is just a bit silly really. This sort of thing only happens regularly in kids football. No professional full back is ever going to intentionally do that for long periods.

But I would argue that a fullback should not feel as if he is going to be told off if he finds himself in that position or drifts into an attack. Good managers allow for some of this because it creates space , surprise and can work really well. You may have heard of total football? I didn't have a problem with Evra turning up in weird positions in attack for example and I'm sure he wasn't told off by SAF for doing so. It seemed to work well at times.

You are right to say that defensive football is not necessarily negative football , but it often becomes that if it's not combined with quality and incisive counter attacking. Otherwise you have no threat. A real offensive threat on the break is a great form of defence. There's no better way of defending than breaking on your opponents and nearly scoring because they have thrown too many men forward. It makes them think twice about pressing you too hard or doing it again. You simply cannot see defence and attack as separate. They are not.

Interestingly , one of the things that Jose seems to do (eg Liverpool away) is restrict the movement of players out of their positions so much that it stifles any expression. The result? Players become too disciplined and too rigid and fearful and keep too much to the "2 lines of 4 (or 5)" approach. So much so that when they win the ball back there's no proper movement and expression or real desire to attack , the move then predictably breaks down , opposition wins the ball again and we camp in our own box. Over and over and over again , this sorry parade of hopeless negativity was played out at Anfield and it was a bloody good job we had De Gea in goal that day.

This is what I can hoofball and it's not defensive , positive or even proper counter attacking , and it's a poor cousin of what his old Chelsea teams actually did. It's beyond me how you cannot see how pants it is , Pogba or no Pogba.
No it wasn't even remotely close. Maybe, stop making assumptions?

I used an silly example to drive my point home since you don't really seem to be able to taking things into context. You talk about total football and you also seem to be a huge fan of Pep's style of football but yet you fail to recognize positioning is king. I'm fine with players "turning up in weird positions" at times, i'm not so fine with the strict positioning under LVG. What i'm not a fan is Pep's style of "attacking".

Jose restricts players out of their position from a defensive perspective. Is no different from Pep restricting players out of their position from an attacking perspective. Jose does so to keep the shape of the team intact and when there is a turnover, we pounce on the counter. I don't see this as being him instilling negativity, fear, cautious. I think we need to stop using the big games without Pogba as an example. He is literally our link man.

desmondisback

Jose restricts players out of their position from a defensive perspective. Is no different from Pep restricting players out of their position from an attacking perspective. Jose does so to keep the shape of the team intact and when there is a turnover, we pounce on the counter.
Your analysis is just plain inaccurate. It is different. Pep does not restrict players , he releases them. This is not to say that they can run anywhere all the time but they have more freedom and flexibilty. The term "restricting players out of their position" sounds like a confused double negative or something. A player is is restricted to a position or has some freedom to move out of it. City are actually a decent defensive outfit especially from a pressing point of view and apart from the occasional lapses , defend pretty well.

What's weird about your argument is that it seems to depend on making out that Pep and Mou are no different really whereas obviously they are not. They have very different philosophies and that is clearly visible on the pitch. It's also clear to see that Pep's City are far far better at "pouncing" than we are. They don't often have to do it because they mostly have the ball , but they pounce far better than we do. Why? Because the players are used to and encouraged to be flexible and take risks. They are not fearful of falling out of position when the moment is right to attack. Whereas Mou's tactics encourage fear of losing position. I didn't see any proper pouncing at Anfield , Stamford and at home to City it was barely there. We pounced well at everton , but then that's everton. In the big games Mou retreats back into fear , whilst in similar big games Pep believes in his players.

You cannot attack well without creativity and expression and that means flexibility and a bit of risk taking. Fear is the enemy of expression and the friend of restriction. Surely I don't have to explain this to you? By all means disagree with Pep's tactics if you like but don't pretend he is just an attacking version of Mourinho . He is not. If you like chalk over cheese then just own it and be proud of it. You don't have to make out that chalk and cheese are the same to do so. It's confused thinking and shows a lack of clarity.

Footnote - as for Pogba - he was a miss in these games but does that mean that it's impossible to pounce without Pogba? All you need to play proper counter attacking football is for players to pass the ball to each other quickly and incisively with a bit of belief and expression at the right moments. It can be done by any players. The fact that we could do it better with Pogba is neither here nor there. I'm sure that if De Gea had been injured Jose would not have said to himself "oops we can't play park the bus now because our most important and best defensive player is out" . It's a philosophy and mindset issue through and through.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.