g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Utd concerned that Jose will resign in May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karlkim SK

Love the press conference! It won't shut up some of our garbage fans or garbage journalists from talking more garbage, but it should put them in their place..

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

Ashley R1+O

Not sure why the Daily Mail keeps pushing these stories on Mourinho.
Because it generates traffic? They stir the paranoia that several in here are dripping with who then share it around and continue the vicious cycle. It is not rocket science, big fanbase, manager who loathes the bottom feeding media. Match made in heaven.

The Lowry stories are genuinely weird though, who cares where he lives? I bet most fans don't even know they are luxury apartments in the middle of the arts precinct with everyone there at his beck and call. I'd live in the arts precinct if I could, it is a beautiful place. It is right over the Irwell from the ground. I mean, did anyone even know where LVG lived while he managed us? Moyes? Even bloody Sir Alex? I only know because I have read his books and he was a settled man looking to put down roots at that point.

Christ on a bike rag journalism really is the lowest of the low.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well I said usually not always and in this case he did not make up the story he took a spoof article seriously.
He made up the story saying it's from their own sources.

Also like you said I didn't say they always make up stories, they have done in the past so won't be surprised if they made one now again.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He made up the story saying it's from their own sources.

Also like you said I didn't say they always make up stories, they have done in the past so won't be surprised if they made one now again.
I can not see it with this story. Especially since most of the things in the story are common knowledge. The third season syndrome quote and the airplane story are the only things we really did not know.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I can not see it with this story. Especially since most of the things in the story are common knowledge. The third season syndrome quote and the airplane story are the only things we really did not know.
I can easily see with this story. Jose said something about transfers and had 3 poor results? Yeah let me make up one story about his resignation.

Micky Targaryen

I really do not think journalists just make up stories as much as people here seem too. Even with Mourinho's strong comments at the press conference there was probably a good deal of truth to the article.
With this logic, then managers and players alike coming out to rubbish rumours in press conferences are pointless then? Because if according to you, there are truths to a certain extend in tabloid articles, then there really isn't any point in wasting their time to purposely deny the rumours.

I, for one, think press conferences like these serves to give us fans a peace of mind but some fans still want to keep the conspiracies alive. :houllier:

LLMU

With this logic, then managers and players alike coming out to rubbish rumours in press conferences are pointless then? Because if according to you, there are truths to a certain extend in tabloid articles, then there really isn't any point in wasting their time to purposely deny the rumours.

I, for one, think press conferences like these serves to give us fans a peace of mind but some fans still want to keep the conspiracies alive. :houllier:

Everybody loves a conspiracy

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
He has mentioned a number of times how he wants to stay here. And stay for a long time. This is the kind of club that can afford him that privillege. And I'm sure he knows it.

Look at the age profile of most his signings too. Those are not the sort of signings someone makes when seeking the first opportunity to leave.

The man has a huge ego too. He will want to be the man to get this club back on its perch. Mourinho will not want to leave before he can achieve that.

The PSG rumours are also nonsense of you consider the comments Mourinho has consistently made about one team leagues. Including the French one.

I do think that after his last disaster at Chelsea, he is determined to prove a point. Mourinho only ever walks away from clubs when he's achieved the maximum..see Porto and Inter.
Well put, has been my thoughts through this whole saga.
After being fired from his last job after a horrible season at Chelsea, he needs to prove himself. Quitting one of the biggest clubs in the world because it's a tough job, will not do that at all, rather the opposite.
His whole reputation is at stake, the way i see it, that's why i'm confident he'll get us back to the top, and win big trophies for us.

mark_a

United and Mourinho is a good thing to prod at to get a reaction. If there's no story the press will make one.

RIP Journalism

desmondisback

The best thing to happen to us this decade, depending on how you define it, was SAF winning us the titles in 2011 and 2013. This is followed by Mourinho, because we were dross under LVG and Moyes. If Mourinho leaves, we will recover, but there is no guarantee that a successor will do better. History indicates that Mourinho will bring us success (indeed he already has).

I did not say he will be a resounding failure nor do I dispute the fact that we won things last year. I actually said that he can only take us so far and the majority of teams are not going in the same direction as us.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
After being fired from his last job after a horrible season at Chelsea, he needs to prove himself. Quitting one of the biggest clubs in the world because it's a tough job, will not do that at all, rather the opposite.
His whole reputation is at stake, the way i see it, that's why i'm confident he'll get us back to the top, and win big trophies for us.
Except Pep.

Sorry to be the misery guts anti-fan who says what the loyalists don't want to hear. But Jose is only here to win, which he usually does in season 2, and would be doing now, except Pep. That has to burn.

I really hope he stays. But I don't think this is "garbage".

desmondisback

You play the brand of football that yields you the highest chances of winning a football match. It has always been that way and Jose believe his brand of football gives us the best chance. What's so hard to understand about that?

Everyone wanted to play how Pep's Barca played. Look how Heyneckes and Simoene destroyed them in the UCL. Despite your claims that "we aren't a threat" due to the brand of football we play, i believe that going up against a Jose team will always be in the head of the opposition manager. I doubt they would be silly to think that we are just going to sit back for 90 minutes without even attacking.

Labeling us as a hoofball team is a pretty poor analogy considering we did that against Liverpool and City without our best player and also our defence to attack link man. Do you think City would be the same without say their fullbacks or KDB? I highly doubt it.

United will stand or fall based on the trophies they won, not the brand of football they play. If is all about brand of football, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool would be the top team in England at the moment. Liverpool and Spurs would be attracting sponsors left, right and center. They've won nothing despite their "bravery and skill". There's a reason why we got a huge sponsor from Adidas.

You would be happier with Sarri, who iirc crashed out of the UCL? and with Tuchel who can't handle the job at BVB? Playing counter attacking football isn't an act of cowardice. Why do people not get that?

I'm sorry but you do not want trophies more than the previous poster. What you want more is attacking sexy football. If you wanted trophies more, you couldn't care less what type of football we play as long as it gives us the best chance to win. But i'm guessing you would think attacking football gives us the best chance and thus it shows how u value attacking over defending. Both are equally important.

Football has moved on? I hear that all the time. Is such a weak argument and people use it just to bash Mourinho. Heyneckes won the treble and UCL with supposedly counter attacking football. When was that again? I'm sure it didn't happen 20 years ago.

Stop deluding yourself. If is was always about "attacking football", Klopp would have won butt loads last year. Poch too. What have they won? So long story short, you just want to watch a game that entertains you. I'm guessing you must be a young supporter.
I do totally understand that Mourinho believes that his philosophy gives us the best chance of winning football matches in today's football world. It's not hard to understand. I just think he's wrong that's all. It won't work and it's looking more outdated every season that goes by.

As far as counter attacking is concerned I think it's a great tactic. I love it and it's very appropriate in some matches. But hoofball is not counter attacking. Hoofball is cowardice. Sitting way too deep and inviting pressure is not good counter attacking. Never committing men forward is not good counter attacking. It doesn't matter whether your best player is missing or not , it's not a good tactic. Against City we had defenders retreating backwards virtually into their own six yard box before even considering putting in a tackle. Against Chelsea no pressure on the man with the ball who can look up and take his time to cross to Morata with no-one near him. Everyone knows the golden rules of defending , either pressure the man with the ball and leave runners or mark runners and leave the the man with the ball. But never ever do neither. So Jose isn't even teaching his team to defend properly. We lose to City via two bad defensive mistakes.

Interestingly , we don't even seem to be trying to do the same sorts of things that Mourinho's great Chelsea teams did. It's like he's forgotten how to do it. His past teams were much more proper counter attacking teams. We are not. I also love good defending. I used to be a goalkeeper so no problem with defending for me. But I would never want my defenders to be defending the edge of their six yard box and then just kick the ball anywhere once they got the ball. I value a positive approach to a game not a negative one. Both attacking wise and defending wise. As you know , good counter attacking means being incisive with your defending so you can win the ball back in good ares to launch a counter. You then have to have the courage to throw a few men forward at the right time and pass the ball quickly. I saw nothing of this against Chelsea , Liverpool or City.

It's not about football brand it's about football quality. You win trophies by playing good football and we have played some really dire stuff in big games. Your problem is that you are too hung up on the old entertaining football versus winning football to see what's really going on.

For the record I think Klopp and Wenger are naive and foolish. Entertainers but their teams have no bite to them. I am not suggesting we play like Klopps teams. I am not a young supporter either. I saw Lou Macari play at OT.

Last edited:

cyberman

I see no reason why people would believe this now other than simply wanting to believe it.
Even the article content is flimsy at best never mind Jose himself rubbishing it

Fluctuation0161

Transfer rumors are usually just stuff fed to journalists by agents and clubs.
I've not seen the sports press over in the US but in the UK that's giving "journalists" far too much credit imo. No doubt some of them (the better ones) have links to clubs, managers, agents etc. But most of the tabloids just make things up to sell papers.

Infra-red

I've not seen the sports press over in the US but in the UK that's giving "journalists" far too much credit imo. No doubt some of them (the better ones) have links to clubs, managers, agents etc. But most of the tabloids just make things up to sell papers.
Matt Lawton is one of the better ones. This was most likely well-sourced.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
You really want the mail story to be true and trying so hard to believe it don't you ?
Well the story was not that Mourinho will 100% resign at the end of the season the story was that some at the club worry Mourinho is going to resign. So it is definitely a plausible story.

Fridge chutney

I did not say he will be a resounding failure nor do I dispute the fact that we won things last year. I actually said that he can only take us so far and the majority of teams are not going in the same direction as us.
Good, we're ahead of all teams in england and still improving. Glad to be leaving that pack behind.

el3mel

Well the story was not that Mourinho will 100% resign at the end of the season the story was that some at the club worry Mourinho is going to resign. So it is definitely a plausible story.
No. It's a terrible article based on 2 consumed points ( Him asking for transfers money and living in a hotel ) accompanied by him asking someone that we don't even know who he's that told him he " fears " Mourinho may resign because of living in a hotel.

The only way to believe such a terrible story is if you really, really want to believe it as it suits your ideas about him. It has no source and no valid points at all.

Infra-red

The article is written entirely from the perspective of some unnamed club official, not Mourinho. A no point does Lawton presume to know Mourinho's intentions - he simply writes what he's been told - namely that the club have concerns about Mourinho's long term commitment.

The fact that Mourinho has come out and dismissed any concerns that he might be looking to leave doesn't discredit Lawton's work - it merely emphasizes what many other have already noticed - that Mourinho and Woodward are in the middle of a massive willy waving contest (most likely resulting from negotiations over Mourinho's contract extension and the future availability of transfer funds).

As we can imagine is the case with many off-the-record briefings, the substance of the printed story may be false even though the journo is truthfully reporting the information he's been given.

SwSw

I do totally understand that Mourinho believes that his philosophy gives us the best chance of winning football matches in today's football world. It's not hard to understand. I just think he's wrong that's all. It won't work and it's looking more outdated every season that goes by.

As far as counter attacking is concerned I think it's a great tactic. I love it and it's very appropriate in some matches. But hoofball is not counter attacking. Hoofball is cowardice. Sitting way too deep and inviting pressure is not good counter attacking. Never committing men forward is not good counter attacking. It doesn't matter whether your best player is missing or not , it's not a good tactic. Against City we had defenders retreating backwards virtually into their own six yard box before even considering putting in a tackle. Against Chelsea no pressure on the man with the ball who can look up and take his time to cross to Morata with no-one near him. Everyone knows the golden rules of defending , either pressure the man with the ball and leave runners or mark runners and leave the the man with the ball. But never ever do neither. So Jose isn't even teaching his team to defend properly. We lose to City via two bad defensive mistakes.

Interestingly , we don't even seem to be trying to do the same sorts of things that Mourinho's great Chelsea teams did. It's like he's forgotten how to do it. His past teams were much more proper counter attacking teams. We are not. I also love good defending. I used to be a goalkeeper so no problem with defending for me. But I would never want my defenders to be defending the edge of their six yard box and then just kick the ball anywhere once they got the ball. I value a positive approach to a game not a negative one. Both attacking wise and defending wise. As you know , good counter attacking means being incisive with your defending so you can win the ball back in good ares to launch a counter. You then have to have the courage to throw a few men forward at the right time and pass the ball quickly. I saw nothing of this against Chelsea , Liverpool or City.

It's not about football brand it's about football quality. You win trophies by playing good football and we have played some really dire stuff in big games. Your problem is that you are too hung up on the old entertaining football versus winning football to see what's really going on.

For the record I think Klopp and Wenger are naive and foolish. Entertainers but their teams have no bite to them. I am not suggesting we play like Klopps teams. I am not a young supporter either. I saw Lou Macari play at OT.
So, we are suppose to listen to you, someone who has zero coaching credentials? By your admission, does this make Simeone outdated as well? And also to a certain degree, Conte as well?

We played hoofball THRICE and the reason was laid bare why we did it. Can you stop using that to bash Mourinho? We certainly did not play hoofball against Arsenal. The game against Chelsea, Morata scored because Jones made one mistake. You made it sound like we've been doing the same mistakes since day 1. If that's the case, i'll agree Mourinho's isn't coaching. There's this post on reddit on how we've been offensively/defensively better compared to last year. Go look it up if you are interested.

Blaming Mourinho for Rashford stupidity against Leicester or Mkhi's crossing into the stands is really silly. Mourinho lays the platform for a counter attack and if the players decides to cross it into the stands, is on them. Mourinho has made mistakes, but so far, he isn't that bad like how some points him out to be.

Define football quality? Is all a matter of perspective. You seem to be too hung up on playstation football, or the style played by Barca. Don't try to argue that football quality isn't there when the brand of football we play isn't your cup of tea. For the record, we've never played hoofball with Pogba. Is only hoofball because Lukaku can't hold the ball and Rojo was probably the better choice for a long pass. If Lukaku manage to hold the ball and we score from the supposedly hoofball, are you going to complain that the goal isn't sexy enough because it came from hoofball?

ghagua

Why, going to take a few days off from the relentless anti mourinho campaign? Or just looking forward to seeing city lift the title?
If you're smart you'll figure it out. On the other hand, since you asked the question it may take you a while.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

The fact that we're 2nd with 2 trophies under his name prooven that his method works. Better than klopps or contes

Marcus01

If you're sensible you will just see this continual media nonsense as confirmation of our continued popularity and interest levels.

I've worked in the media and we were always looking to, obviously, use cover stories/stars that sold the most copies.

To me it's flattering.

desmondisback

The fact that we're 2nd with 2 trophies under his name prooven that his method works. Better than klopps or contes
What? Conte won the league. I'd take 1 league title over 20 carrabao cups.

His method "works" against Southampton , Hull , Celta Vigo , Ajax. It's not working against stiff opposition. Also , bear in mind that we so nearly blew it against Vigo by mindlessly sitting way too deep late in the game when we should have had it sewn up.

desmondisback

Define football quality?
Quick passing. Making 3rd man runs. 1-2s and triangles , not dwelling on the ball , knowing where your next pass is going before you get the ball , not telegraphing your moves so the opposition can easily read you , making good decisions, one touch moves, switching play quickly , being relaxed and enjoying expressing your game. Trying to beat a man with a bit of skill when the moment is right. Confidence over fear...the list goes on.

All these things become very very difficult for players if they are constantly being told to hold their shape in two lines of 4 and wait for the opposition to make a mistake. Problem is... big teams don't make that many so you just end up watching the other team play their way into your own half/ box. City's two goals against us came from them going at us and getting a free kick or corner then ironically WE make the mistake. I do so wish you could see through my eyes and understand how pathetic it looks.

Mourinho's philosophy stifles expression in matches where it really counts.

We played hoofball THRICE and the reason was laid bare why we did it.
Not to me it wasn't. I never got it. I don't understand why if you are under pressure you would give away possession as soon as possible so the opposition can come at you again. If you are referring to Pogba's absence then I'm not convinced he would have changed his tactics anyway.

By your admission, does this make Simeone outdated as well?
Simeone does not play hoofball under any circumstances as I understand it.

desmondisback

So, we are suppose to listen to you, someone who has zero coaching credentials?
Curious. If you think what I am saying makes sense then it should not matter what credentials I do or do not have. 2+2 does not equal 5 just because a maths expert says it.

To be honest I don't think I am a genius or anything I just think fans do sometimes have a simple wisdom that cuts through a lot of the bullshit that managers talk about 432-1 etc. For example , I happen to think as a simple observation that it's not a good idea to have the ball spending a lot of time flying around in your own penalty box simply because one misplaced tackle , one deflected shot , one handball , one flick or goal keeping mistake and its a goal ( eg lukaku) I'd much sooner the ball was up the other end. But hey...do I need a UEFA badge to see that?

SwSw

Quick passing. Making 3rd man runs. 1-2s and triangles , not dwelling on the ball , knowing where your next pass is going before you get the ball , not telegraphing your moves so the opposition can easily read you , making good decisions, one touch moves, switching play quickly , being relaxed and enjoying expressing your game. Trying to beat a man with a bit of skill when the moment is right. Confidence over fear...the list goes on.

All these things become very very difficult for players if they are constantly being told to hold their shape in two lines of 4 and wait for the opposition to make a mistake. Problem is... big teams don't make that many so you just end up watching the other team play their way into your own half/ box. City's two goals against us came from them going at us and getting a free kick or corner then ironically WE make the mistake. I do so wish you could see through my eyes and understand how pathetic it looks.

Mourinho's philosophy stifles expression in matches where it really counts.

Not to me it wasn't. I never got it. I don't understand why if you are under pressure you would give away possession as soon as possible so the opposition can come at you again. If you are referring to Pogba's absence then I'm not convinced he would have changed his tactics anyway.

Simeone does not play hoofball under any circumstances as I understand it.
Argues that the brand of football isn't important but proceeds to argue for attacking football. Lol. What you listed are mostly fantasy football. Name me one team that does all that consistently? Please dont say City, they don't.

I've yet to see an elite coach that tells the players to go out and express themselves. Is always important to keep your shape. Top level football has and always be about the team that made the least mistakes.

Pogba in a midfield trio is the way to go. If only he would stop playing him in a midfield two. The game against Arsenal shows how important Pogba is.

Status
Not open for further replies.