Van der Vaart on Maguire

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Maguire’s a leader and a strong centre half - probably the best we’ve had in years - but he’s not in Van Dijk’s league. He wouldn’t get into other top teams.
I think he'd get in quite a lot of them, certainly get in City's. Is Boateng better than him at Bayern? He's definitely better than Gomez at Liverpool, he'd certainly get in Chelsea's team for me, top 3 Spanish sides he probably wouldn't get in? But it wouldn't be crazy if he did. Juve probably not, should get in Lazio's team over Bitey McGhee, PSG debatable...he's certainly up there when you think about it though.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It is quite weird how Maguire's fee is always used but when it comes to other players who have flopped such as Kepa or even Hernandez at Bayern nothing it mentioned.

I really hope all this does not affect Maguire's peformances.
Kepa's fee is mentioned all the time.

I hope he gets more motivated by those comments, if anything.

Lemansky

Said the same in the Norwegian broadcasters studio long before restart. He really doesn’t like Harry and was comparing him with VVD constantly. He totally ruins his own argument though with being childish as hell.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Long ago retired player trying to stay relevant.

Move on, nothing to see here.

romufc

Some so called Utd fans seem quite clueless if they can't see the positive impact Harry has made to the team. We knew he was over priced as the leading English centre half at the moment. We also knew he's no Van Dyke so why the constant comparisons. Van Dyke is now worth double what he was bought for. We've seen what Smalling can do (or more know his limitations) and Ake and Dunk please come on.

I came into this thread expecting VDV to rightly be called out for his terrible punditry (it's must be hard times for him and difficult to get gigs) and yet instead it's another Harry bashing thread.
Exactly this. Are we going to compare all £40m signings to Bruno ? It doesnt work like that.

We paid £80m because there was no defender in the market that done the job we wanted them to do. Maguire has come in and become a leader, showed calmness and has shown great qualities.

No one expected a VVD just like £80m for a forward doesnt mean you will get Ronaldo. I don't get why MUFC fans are so critical over a defender.

He got megged? and what? VVD has made critical errors this season as well but no one speak about it.

Maguire is going to be very important to us going forward imo.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Maguire and our back four had abit of a mare last week against Bournemouth,granted,but there's not doubt in my mind that he has brought alot of assured calmness and influence into the back four and squad in general,especially since the turn of the year.

So,overpriced ? yeah,but we knew that.
Would I have him over every centre back we had at our club post Rio and Vidic ? most definitely.
Am I happy with his form in this campaign ? Yes and I was heavily critical of his signing in the summer.
And am I going to continue asking myself questions ? Yes,yes I am.
What are you having for dinner tonight,Frank ? Well, I was thinking of making myself a carbonara.

romufc

Kepa's fee is mentioned all the time.

I hope he gets more motivated by those comments, if anything.
And yet he is the keeper with the worst record.

Maguire has been a key reason we have conceded 17 open play PL goals in comparison to 15 from Liverpool.

What is happening now is that we are playing attacking football, our 2 CB's will have to deal with alot of one v one defending. Maguire is not one to do that.

Eire Red United

Maguire is a seriously solid CB. Not his fault he cost £80m or whatever it eas
A lot of people don't want to admit that though. The main difference between him and Smalling is we traded speed for ball playing ability. That's how is see it.
Harry is far better at defending though and Smalling took a minute to shift himself to pass the ball 5 yards.

Clermontois

Supports
France
I think he'd get in quite a lot of them, certainly get in City's. Is Boateng better than him at Bayern? He's definitely better than Gomez at Liverpool, he'd certainly get in Chelsea's team for me, top 3 Spanish sides he probably wouldn't get in? But it wouldn't be crazy if he did. Juve probably not, should get in Lazio's team over Bitey McGhee, PSG debatable...he's certainly up there when you think about it though.
Wishful thinking, he does not get close to either even with Boateng on the wane.

It would be and again no.

He isn't. Bailly for instance is a better player but has never got the run of games because of his mistakes; mistakes which Maguire makes as well.

Good player who has a calming presence at the back for us but should not be overrated.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Exactly this. Are we going to compare all £40m signings to Bruno ? It doesnt work like that.

We paid £80m because there was no defender in the market that done the job we wanted them to do. Maguire has come in and become a leader, showed calmness and has shown great qualities.

No one expected a VVD just like £80m for a forward doesnt mean you will get Ronaldo. I don't get why MUFC fans are so critical over a defender.

He got megged? and what? VVD has made critical errors this season as well but no one speak about it.

Maguire is going to be very important to us going forward imo.
Personally I think both sides are embellishing the facts and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Maguire is a good defender. He overall has been decent for United. He isn't rubbish just because he has made a few mistakes during his tenure.

United were taken to the cleaners by Leicester on the price because United was desperate. It is not really true that Maguire was the only defender in the global football transfer market who could do the job.

Because of the of the price United paid some people who dislike United will bash Maguire
Also because of the cost, some United fans will overstate his importance to our defensive improvements. In form Matic and AWB at RB instead of Young were as important if not more.

I'll leave out the bit about leadership because whether he is a good leader or not remains to be seen.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Bailly hasn't got a run because he's largely injured and,frankly,needs to be booted in the summer alongside Jones,Rojo .

youngrell

Sounds more like he just loves van Dijk and is only singling out Harry because he cost more and it upsets him for some reason.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
And yet he is the keeper with the worst record.

Maguire has been a key reason we have conceded 17 open play PL goals in comparison to 15 from Liverpool.

What is happening now is that we are playing attacking football, our 2 CB's will have to deal with alot of one v one defending. Maguire is not one to do that.
I think what's happening is that he's been done on two occasions, and whilst the whole team is playing a lot better (defending from the front as well) the problem with our defensive pairing is lack of pace and some individual errors here and there. Maguire next to a defensive beast would look really good in my opinion.

tomaldinho1

Isn't this a really old quote anyway?

No one in their right mind thinks Maguire is as good as VVD but he's been decent enough - once the mistakes hopefully iron out he'll be grand

romufc

Personally I think both sides are embellishing the facts and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Maguire is a good defender. He overall has been decent for United. He isn't rubbish just because he has made a few mistakes during his tenure.

United were taken to the cleaners by Leicester on the price because United was desperate. It is not really true that Maguire was the only defender in the global football transfer market who could do the job.

Because of the of the price United paid some people who dislike United will bash Maguire
Also because of the cost, some United fans will overstate his importance to our defensive improvements. In form Matic and AWB at RB instead of Young were as important if not more.

I'll leave out the bit about leadership because whether he is a good leader or not remains to be seen.
It is not to say he is a crap defender.

What I have seen regularly on this site is knee jerk reactions. All the very good performances put in by Maguire and the back line have been forgotten.

I think it has to do with complacency with him, he should not be getting caught out and needs to switch on in games.

We know big games like City, Chelsea he has been really good.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sounds an individual nobody should take seriously.

Also, he was overrated as feck as a player.

romufc

I think what's happening is that he's been done on two occasions, and whilst the whole team is playing a lot better (defending from the front as well) the problem with our defensive pairing is lack of pace and some individual errors here and there. Maguire next to a defensive beast would look really good in my opinion.
I agree but that is not his fault. Maguire's pace was well known way before he signed for the club. We know we probably over paid by £20/30m but how many people are on here saying "just pay the money"

It is better to judge players over a season rather than individual games.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Wishful thinking, he does not get close to either even with Boateng on the wane.

It would be and again no.

He isn't. Bailly for instance is a better player but has never got the run of games because of his mistakes; mistakes which Maguire makes as well.

Good player who has a calming presence at the back for us but should not be overrated.
Eh? Have you ever watched Gomez? He has the easiest gig in football next to Van Dijk. I'm not saying he's terrible but he ain't great. Much more controversial of me to say Maguire would get in Chelsea's defence frankly (although they need a leader at the back and he is one so that's why I say it).

Jezpeza

Hes had an effect on the team. 54 goals against last year, 33 this term so far.

van der vaart is one of these stubborn pundits who will just stand by his opinion no matter what. Keane likes to hammer De Gea and will never stop. Souness hates grealish, even when the stats show grealish created second most chances in the league he says grealish doesnt have the eye for the final ball. Van der vaart bashes maguire. Who cares?

maguire was probably a bit expensive but we had to get him from a team not needing to sell. thats the way football is now. VVD is perhaps a better individual but it is a team game. so so Stupid and boring for everyone to constantly lick VVD’s arse whilst saying we were a bunch of c***s for going out and paying whatever we saw fit to improve our team.

Toblerone92

Van der Vaart being a cnut, what a surprise.

Loved it when Zlatan nearly snapped his ankle, he was a backstabbing little diva at Ajax.

Baneofthegame

People seem to forget City matched a 70 million pound bid and then say we were idiots, he’s garbage and we would have been better off with Smalling (who I think we should of kept).

He has made a couple of mistakes post lockdown, but his overall performances have been good, he also isn’t injured 24/7 like the majority of our other CB’s.

If we can get someone next to him who is more mobile we will have a solid defence for at least 5/6 years.

SAFMUTD

Comming from Van der Vaart who did feck nothing with Madrid nor Spurs must really concern Maguire.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
People seem to forget City matched a 70 million pound bid and then say we were idiots, he’s garbage and we would have been better off with Smalling (who I think we should of kept).

He has made a couple of mistakes post lockdown, but his overall performances have been good, he also isn’t injured 24/7 like the majority of our other CB’s.

If we can get someone next to him who is more mobile we will have a solid defence for at least 5/6 years.
City aren't exactly references when it comes to purchase defenders.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Wasn't van der Vaart the one that said he has a better technique than Cristiano Ronaldo?

I agree you overpaid for Maguire but obviosuly van der Vaart wants to provoke and exaggerated completely due to this. I liked him during his career, actually, but ever since he seems like an asshole. Can't blame him, he played for the HSV, after all.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Comming from Van der Vaart who did feck nothing with Madrid nor Spurs must really concern Maguire.
I don't agree with him but you don't need to be the greatest builder to notice that the Tower of Pisa isn't straight.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That's definitely different quote with the one he mentioned last time. I wonder if it was just made up or actually true because it went to personal. Something wrong with the guy's head. I used to enjoy his set pieces but lost respect on him completely when he dumb his wife and now he's talking about someone else wife which makes me questioning his mental health.

redshaw

Who is Van der Nomark?

Sounds like Pep should have a look at this Maguire conveyor belt, should be able to snag a couple for 50 million.

TrustInOle

Feck VDV, our defence this season has been rock solid. We ain't undefeated in 16 for no reason.

It was only a matter of time before we get knee jerk reactions again on here. Only two teams in the league have a better record, with out mentioning DDG slip ups.

lsd

The Oracle
So amateur players can perform as well as Maguire in your view?

They would certainly be more mobile . Maguire has been an awful buy no one can deny it .

Ole has gotten most things right since he took over but buying Maguire and then making him Captain has been two massive errors

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They would certainly be more mobile . Maguire has been an awful buy no one can deny it .

Ole has gotten most things right since he took over but buying Maguire and then making him Captain has been two massive errors
Only you can deny it since you have agenda on him like VDV. Everyone in here mentioned he's been good for us and been part of the reason of our defense's improvement.

SAFMUTD

I don't agree with him but you don't need to be the greatest builder to notice that the Tower of Pisa isn't straight.
One thing is to critize a player performance, but that statement is just plain stupid. Its offensive to Maguire and its not given as a "helpful" comment just straight hate. If youre going to critize someone like that you better be sure to have a great career yourself, which Van der Vaart doesnt have.

fps

I’m denying it. The defence has improved, he leads the defence well, and United look a better team for him being the number one centre back. Statistics back me up, and Ole and Gareth Southgate have both decided also to make him captain of their teams, which further backs me up.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
One thing is to critize a player performance, but that statement is just plain stupid. Its offensive to Maguire and its not given as a "helpful" comment just straight hate. If youre going to critize someone like that you better be sure to have a great career yourself, which Van der Vaart doesnt have.
Yeah, that's just stupid and to make it even worse he has done it at least thrice. For some reason he is butthurt and I have no idea why.