Van Dijk revisited

cyberman

I'm looking forward for this "honest" assessment, so is you are replying to me you can save the time.

If it's for other posters, please go ahead
I’m watching games right now. Brighton at home he comes out after the ball and is dragged wide, doesn’t win it and the ball is played over the top into the space left behind for Connolly to have a 1v1 v Allison without a Liverpool player within 25 yards of him.
Their first goal is a freak but again he comes out, doesn’t get the ball and doesn’t get back into position again so they’re overloaded defensively 3 v 1 at left back. I’m being a bit harsh in on their second goal but they work the ball between midfield and attack but VVD doesn’t close the ball down or block the passing lane to the attacker who slots the ball past Allison. He just stands there.
Watching Brentford and so far he lost a header he should have won since he had the running jump v Toney that was flicked on for a bad miss. Toney just beat him again for a header that went just wide. Toney just beat him again to a long ball for a chance cleared off the line, feck me this is a disaster class and Brentford haven’t even scored yet. Just lost another header for a chance at 1-1. Lost the header for 2-2.
why the feck didn’t anybody notice it in this game?!
Still best in world, empty praise etc etc

Edit cant even blame injury
https://talksport.com/football/7587...news-mistakes-leading-to-goals-liverpool/amp/

Last edited:

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Van Dijk is the best defender in the league. It’s not even a question.
Fully agree with this. His positional awareness and game management is exceptional. He’d actually anticipated Lookman going for the other corner if you watch it back. I’m surprised more wasn’t made of Allison rather than VVD.

I think Daka may have given VVD moreof a headache if fit, as Vardy is a shadow of the player that terrorised defenders. He’s Lost that yard of pace and has played with niggling injuries for a few years.

Oranges038

This.

And of all the players involved he’s the least at fault for the goal. Firstly Henderson doesn’t track his runner, then Trent lets his runner jog off him, then Matip lets the striker cut inside and get a clear shot away. At least Van Dijk closes the most dangerous half of the goal but by that point the errors had accumulated and the damage was just about all done.
Yeah, he did his best in that situation, if he goes closer Lookman would have been able to go far post. He gave Allison the easy side to cover and he should've saved it. He's by no means back to his very best, but he is still a top class defender.

The standards defenders are held to nowadays are impossibly high. I blame the fact that we now get 20 replays and 15mins of analysis for every goal conceded. Of course the CBs can be highlighted for virtually every goal that goes in due to the nature of their position. Of course there is always a different action they COULD have taken.

Take van Dijk last night. Yeah, he could have stepped out and engaged Lookman, but Lookman was travelling at pace and from his body shape, had set himself to shoot across the goal. In that split micro-second, you see van Dijk decides to plant his body and make a barrier, blocking the shot into the far corner. At the last minute, Lookman whips the ball nearpost and scores.

So yeah, you can say vVD could have engaged...but if he had given a penalty away the same pundits would have said "no need to dive in/going nowhere". Yeah he could have set-up to block a nearpost shot, but the percentage call based on Lookman's body shape in that split moment was the shot was going far post. Sky rarely go back and analyse all the mundane tackles, blocks and headers defenders make, because they are so outcome-orientated it'a untrue.

Another example...the most hated player on this forum...our captain, Harry Maguire. Against Newcastle, ASM shapes to shoot and Maguire covers, again, all at high-speed (and whilst instructing Dalot to cover the outside run). ASM doesn't shoot and takes another step. 99/100 this would leave him unable to get a shot off as you can see, ASM is now off-balance and is starting to fall away from the ball. Maguire would have known this was the low-percentage option, just like vVD knew the near-post shot was the low percentage option. Somehow, ASM managed to generate enough power and accuracy to get a shot on target and for it to nestle right into the corner of the net. I actually think if ASM tried that again 100 times, he wouldn't manage it again. So yes, Maguire ends up looking bad, because he goes with the first dummy and over-covers...but that is the percentage play. If ASM hits that early and scores, Maguire gets pelters again.

I'd love to see attackers held to these standards. CBs are measured in freeze-frames and micro-seconds. The likes of Rashford and Bruno (and even players like KdB) run about making mistake after mistake, giving the ball away in bad areas, overhitting passes, taking wild-shots, making poor decisions etc...yet eventually something comes off and they score/assist and they are a "genius" again.

Who would be a CB in modern football? Forced to defend halfway up the pitch, absolutely must be fantastic on the ball and be able to pass out against a press AND any slight mistake is pounced on. It's ridiculous.
Maguire pointed Dalot to show down on his left, Dalot got done inside.

Maguire who was supposed to cover that off also got done the same way and just tried to push him over and doesn't even attempt to cover off any side if the goal. It was a shocking piece of defending. Had he done his job right he would have taken the ball as soon as ASM cut inside.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I’m watching games right now. Brighton at home he comes out after the ball and is dragged wide, doesn’t win it and the ball is played over the top into the space left behind for Connolly to have a 1v1 v Allison without a Liverpool player within 25 yards of him.
Their first goal is a freak but again he comes out, doesn’t get the ball and doesn’t get back into position again so they’re overloaded defensively 3 v 1 at left back. I’m being a bit harsh in on their second goal but they work the ball between midfield and attack but VVD doesn’t close the ball down or block the passing lane to the attacker who slots the ball past Allison. He just stands there.
The first chance against Brighton he has to come out as he is left 1v1 against the forward. He doesn't have to win the ball, but he can't back off and let the forward turn and run at him just to keep the shape. His main job there is to ensure the striker can only go backwards, which he does. The chance arises because Konate drops in to cover the space, but then plays the 3rd man runner onside because he's two yards behind Robertson and Trent.

I'd agree he makes a mistake for the first goal in coming out and not getting close enough to the forward to prevent the pass on to the winger. But it's fairly minor mistake and there are 8 Liverpool players in front of Mwepu when he hits it from 30 yards.

Second goal is because Liverpool's midfield let runners off the back of them to create a 3 v 2 in Brighton's favour. Van Dijk ends up defending two players by himself and again is blameless unless you expect miracles.

cyberman

The first chance against Brighton he has to come out as he is left 1v1 against the forward. He doesn't have to win the ball, but he can't back off and let the forward turn and run at him just to keep the shape. His main job there is to ensure the striker can only go backwards, which he does. The chance arises because Konate drops in to cover the space, but then plays the 3rd man runner onside because he's two yards behind Robertson and Trent.

I'd agree he makes a mistake for the first goal in coming out and not getting close enough to the forward to prevent the pass on to the winger. But it's fairly minor mistake and there are 8 Liverpool players in front of Mwepu when he hits it from 30 yards.

Second goal is because Liverpool's midfield let runners off the back of them to create a 3 v 2 in Brighton's favour. Van Dijk ends up defending two players by himself and again is blameless unless you expect miracles.

VVD doesn’t have to follow him into midfield or come out to the left wing at all. You play for that as the opposition and Brighton played off him perfectly. Connolly is literally running into the space he leaves behind, there’s no excuse for it. Just look where he ends up! There’s no reason for it. They weren’t under pressure or in any danger, he just started ambling down the wing when it was clear he couldn’t even challenge for the ball. It’s shocking.
Again I said I was a bit harsh but if you’re dropping off the player with the ball running towards the box then you block the passing lane, It’s the exact same scenario he had v Spurs that was lauded everywhere and he dealt with it better back then. If you can’t block the pass then get out to the passer and put pressure on him. It’s not a big mistake but it’s not a mistake that the best defender in the league should be making. That move didn’t suddenly start from the pic you posted. It started sooner and that’s where VVD ends up, he puts himself in that situation. The ball is played in by the Brighton player way on the left. The Brighton attacker has already had a few touches.

Edit in the first pic he is out of position and isn’t even pressuring the ball when the pass is made, he’s a good 10 yards away. Gets worse the longer you analyse it

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Pep Guardiola thinks Van Dijk is overhyped by football pundits especially Jamie Carragher.
In a Christmas special interview with Amazon Prime he said :

" A lot of pundits especially Jamie Carragher compares Virgil with the likes of Vidic, Terry and Ferdinand but the reality is he's a good defender but nowhere near them. We've beat Liverpool by four-five goals twice in last few seasons and the players don't really find him that intimidating. Nemanja Vidic in my opinion should go down as the best defender to ever play in England as he's faced my prime Barcelona team a number of times and he was that one player who impressed me the most, I tried to sign him in 2010 but he was loyal to Sir Alex. Players like Van Dijk, Maguire and Silva never faced my Barcelona team of 2009-12, that was the toughest thing they could defend against."
Sounds like a bunch of bs. A link would be appreciated.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Pep Guardiola thinks Van Dijk is overhyped by football pundits especially Jamie Carragher.

" A lot of pundits especially Jamie Carragher compares Virgil with the likes of Vidic, Terry and Ferdinand but the reality is he's a good defender but nowhere near them. We've beat Liverpool by four-five goals twice in last few seasons and the players don't really find him that intimidating. Nemanja Vidic in my opinion should go down as the best defender to ever play in England as he's faced my prime Barcelona team a number of times and he was that one player who impressed me the most, I tried to sign him in 2010 but he was loyal to Sir Alex. Players like Van Dijk, Maguire and Silva never faced my Barcelona team of 2009-12, that was the toughest thing they could defend against."
I'll give you my full apologies if I'm wrong but that sounds like a complete lie, and if so it's pretty sad that you're having to make stuff up about Pep in a thread that's got nothing to do with him.

Doesn't sound anything like something Pep would say.

tomaldinho1

He’s still class - it’s not like yesterday they didn’t have chances and got battered. That said I do think it was ridiculous when people proclaimed him the best ever PL CB essentially off 2 great seasons, the greats did it for literally triple that (or more).

tomaldinho1

:lol: The worst troll of all time! Pep said he was one of the best players in the league.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
A lot of wishful thinking in this thread. He was his usual imperious self against Leicester. Had Vardy in his pocket all night.
I think this as well. He's been very good this season.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Sounds like a bunch of bs. A link would be appreciated.
I'll give you my full apologies if I'm wrong but that sounds like a complete lie, and if so it's pretty sad that you're having to make stuff up about Pep in a thread that's got nothing to do with him.

Doesn't sound anything like something Pep would say.
:lol: The worst troll of all time! Pep said he was one of the best players in the league.
I sincerely hope Fredo didn’t just make that shite up :lol: Surely no one would stoop to such levels?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Pep Guardiola commenting on Virgil Van Dijk a couple of seasons back
"He's total sh*t like. Total waste of the dollar"

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: I mean, yeah, when I read the post I thought the same but that’s extremely sad :lol: ffs
Incredibly weird behavior, I agree :lol:

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's seen that ridiculous quote elsewhere and fallen victim to someone else's sad trolling.

allen7

VVD was good yesterday and I felt TAA was at fault for the goal and chances created by leicester yesterday.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

?

There are numerous sites quotes of Pep saying how much be rates him, that City wanted to buy him when Liverpool did.

Where did you get your "quote" from? Source?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Seriously, the one criticism you can make is that he's no longer a LITERALLY A GOD, at best :lol:

@Lentwood is right

Lentwood

Why are we arguing about whether vVD is good?

I'd love to know which defenders are rated on this forum.

All the lads slamming vvD, Maguire, Varane, Stones, Mings etc...then you ask them..."OK, who would you sign?" and it's "Milos Milanovanichavich from Torpedo Baltic, Geronimo Perrucci from Spezia and Carlos Kickaballos from Gremio"

Ridiculous. Too many FIFA playing kids who have never played any standard of football and dont understand levels

harms

Staff
Why are we arguing about whether vVD is good?

I'd love to know which defenders are rated on this forum.

All the lads slamming vvD, Maguire, Varane, Stones, Mings etc...then you ask them..."OK, who would you sign?" and it's "Milos Milanovanichavich from Torpedo Baltic, Geronimo Perrucci from Spezia and Carlos Kickaballos from Gremio"

Ridiculous. Too many FIFA playing kids who have never played any standard of football and dont understand levels
I love that van Dijk, Maguire and Ming’s are all in the same group. So you can’t criticize any PL defenders? And rate up-and-coming defenders from other leagues including Serie A?*

* just so you know I get that they’re made up.

There’s this weird tradition on caf of criticizing criticism by posting even more questionable arguments. And this is coming from someone who thinks that most of van Dijk's criticism in this thread is way over the top.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Why is everybody falling for this clear wum? :lol:
No one is really failing for it, more like giving him the benefit of the doubt to show that he had seen this obviously fake quote somewhere and simply believed it instead of making it up himself... which would be worse, I guess. WUMing of this kind is very much discouraged in football forums by the way.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He is a top class CB. But Liverpool control games. Their CB don't get tested too often. Leicester only really created two situations last night where they looked like they could score. Even last season once they put Fabinho back in DM and the attack found form the likes of Nat Phillips was able to do a job for them.

RUCK4444

No one is really failing for it, more like giving him the benefit of the doubt to show that he had seen this obviously fake quote somewhere and simply believed it instead of making it up himself... which would be worse, I guess. WUMing of this kind is very much discouraged in football forums by the way.
Oh does he beleive it’s true? That’s bizarre.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
He’s fine mostly. Definitely not the biggest problem or even a problem. Is he as monstrous as he was pre-injury? No, and I’m not really sure he can ever hit that level with the type of injury he had. Players always lose something no matter how well they recover. But he has recovered remarkably well and is playing every game, Laporte had a similar injury at a younger age and still hasn’t fully regained a consistent level.

Not really a fan of over analysing every frame for a goal conceded, goals are usually conceded because of a series of small mistakes and you can bend it whatever way you want to suit a narrative.

He’s still the best defender in the league and one of the best in the world, just the gap isn’t as huge as it was not that it needs to be.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

Any source for this Pep quote?

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Yup, we can spend another 80m on the new Maguire next season after we come 6th and Ed fires Ole.
The lack of a decent coach next to him is playing a big part in the lack of tactical changes during a match.
What I'm saying is none of those are world class.

On Phelan, even then he was nowhere near the level of Quieroz. There was a definite drop off in our performances after 2008 when Phelan became assistant.

Ole needs to be bold and look for someone better. City had Arteta as their Assistant 12 months ago, that's the standard he/we needs
He did like any player of his caliber would have done.

But how right was he to question the board and the management when he did. He was definitely onto something. And people hated him for that.
We always set up sitting deep looking to counter. We had some success against the big 6 last season with this approach but this season we seem to have been found out

in games against the “big 6” this season
Played 5
Won 0
Drew 2
Lost 3
Goals scored 1 (penalty)
Goals conceded 9

It’s worth noting that all 5 of these were at Old Trafford, yet Spurs game aside we played with the handbrake on in all of them. Clearly the pragmatism & counter focused football isn’t working anymore against the bigger teams. Is it time to perhaps start being more adventurous?
I think attitude towards people and empathy are the biggest traits that separate the two. Cut them to the core and they are not so different. I see two men with integrity, principles and their own sense of what is right and wrong. They both want similar things, they care about their club. They just have a wildly different approach.

You could come home to Ole and he would sit you down, hold both your hands, look you in the eyes and ask you about your day. He would listen intently, nod along and not once offer his opinion or tell you what you should have done differently. He would cook dinner and draw you a hot bath. You’d sit down to watch Midsummer Murders and not once would Ole guess who the perpetrator was, nor hazard their motive. Afterwards he would lead you upstairs and make gentle love to you, ensuring you had enough money the next day for groceries. All your needs would be met. You know you are loved.

Mourinho on the other hand would have already ordered the groceries. He would have paid for a string of personnel to aid around the house. Gardeners, cleaners, chefs, personal shoppers and assistants, you name it. He would come home, ask you about your day, he would hear and he would listen, but he would do so whilst opening letters or reading his phone. He would distantly instruct you to get dressed to go out and take you to a Michelin starred restaurant for dinner. From here though he would flicks a switch. He would put everything to the side and make the whole two hours just about you. You would remember why you married this man. After finishing your coffee he would take you home. And here lies the crux of the Mourinho enigma. He is hard, yet tender, he will take care of you in the bedroom, but at times roll all over you like a steam train. You’ll either love this and accept this, or you will fight against it. You are a Mourinho player or you are not.
I still think we are a season away. We just dont have the depth in key positions. Bruno, RW and CB.

City can change 7 players and have no discernable drop off in quality. Then we also have to look at Chelsea's young squad depth. They have reloaded in a major way and have now integrated well.

I still think we need another season to build depth to compete with those two -- some of which I hope will come from the Academy --- key ones are a couple of seasons away or we plug the gaps with transfers.

At the same time, I hope we don't do a Chelsea's bulk buying summer transfer approach -- was just too heavy a load to integrate so many at the same time.
OGS must go - Cavani will block the path to the first-team for several of our youngsters - we should have given Elanga, Hugill and McNeill a chance instead
Is the only stream for this match in the US really behind the Paramount+ paywall?

edit: I know I can do the 1 week free trial, but still. Damn. Just show it on normal tv.
I sincerely hope Fredo didn’t just make that shite up :lol: Surely no one would stoop to such levels?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Guys wtf relax...

I usually check posts on this page, so I don't have the amazon prime link:

https://www.facebook.com/Manchester.United.Die.Hard.Fans

Oh it's meant to be a wum?

Then he/she gets a thread ban then?
:lol::lol::lol: shut up Karen.

Lentwood

I love that van Dijk, Maguire and Ming’s are all in the same group. So you can’t criticize any PL defenders? And rate up-and-coming defenders from other leagues including Serie A?*

* just so you know I get that they’re made up.

There’s this weird tradition on caf of criticizing criticism by posting even more questionable arguments. And this is coming from someone who thinks that most of van Dijk's criticism in this thread is way over the top.
That's not my point though is it...my point is that there are a large number of posters who have nothing but criticism for top PL and international footballers and then proceed to talk-up players, 99.9% of whom go on to have very average careers at best.

Point being, actually playing regularly in the PL is levels above what most players experience on a regular basis. I feel some people don't appreciate how elite the level is and how difficult playing as a modern CB is at that level.

harms

Staff
That's not my point though is it...my point is that there are a large number of posters who have nothing but criticism for top PL and international footballers and then proceed to talk-up players, 99.9% of whom go on to have very average careers at best.

Point being, actually playing regularly in the PL is levels above what most players experience on a regular basis. I feel some people don't appreciate how elite the level is and how difficult playing as a modern CB is at that level.
I'd say that it may be a fair point about professional footballers in general but I doubt that Premier League is as far ahead of every other league as you seem to suggest and it has plenty of footballers with significant flaws and a lot of footballers who are lucky to play at the level that they've playing at. It's not like we don't get a regular supply of players from lesser leagues that go on to perform brilliantly in England, even though with Brexit it's getting tougher to sign relatively unknown players. I'm too lazy to compile a list of examples from the likes of Wolves but look at Leicester's league-winning side with the likes of Kanté & Mahrez both playing in the French League 2 a season before & directly before their move to England. And while the story of Leicester as a whole is an exception, those kind of transfers happen quite often.

Again, it's weird to discuss this in a thread about van Dijk who is still probably the best/second best centre back in the league even though he's not quite as good as he was at his absolute peak — as the criticism that he's getting on here is mostly unfounded. But you've included players that often get criticised for a reason.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Regarding someone who reads a quote like that and believes it (just the way it’s phrased), I dread to think how much money they’ve lost to scam emails

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I admire him a lot for sure but I have noticed him for a long time since he have been moved to Liverpool. A lot of times he always too passive for me imho.He has an attribute of complete cb for me very strong in 1on1 duel,great heading abilites,great passer on the ball and the last one have a great athleticism but one thing that he has lacked since he moved to LFC is an aggressiveness. He doesn't seem to dive in tackles like he often did in Southampton,sometimes it is necessary in some situations.He plays sometimes too much calm for me.

Another appointment for him from diehard Liverpool fan like me,he hasn't been challenged enough and stay too chill,that cause a lot of times bad results or disappointment.
I can tell some matches that he have played too passive and then it caused a trouble for LFC.
-vs Aston Villa(7-2)
-vs Atletico Madrid(home)
-vs Leeds United
many

Anyway from I have said before,he still for me one of the most complete central defenders.Unfortunately,that injury destroy his career peak.In this minute,he still the most important person in LFC backline.He is a true commander of our backline especially in offside control.Our offside control is always terrible when he isn't on the field.He still in top2 if not the best defenders in EPL.

IMHO,if he has a bit more agressive mentality,he will develop his game into another level.Since he came back from injury,I never expect him to do this good in this season.He has performed in this season beyond(all) expectations and I admire with it.

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
His form this season is better than before he got injured.
Yeah I’d argue that from project restart to when he got injured against Everton, his form was worse than how he’s played this season. His form from 2018 to March 2020 was maybe marginally better. Not much in it though.