Van Dijk revisited

GlasgowCeltic

I wouldn't read much into Liverpool's mentally hungover defensive form since winning the title. They were always going to settle down once they got their groove back, but they will not relentlessly pick up clean sheets until Van Dijk is back. Either way I think he's comfortably in the top bracket of centre-halves the Premier League has seen alongside Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell, Vidic and Kompany (I'm sure others would throw Adams in too). The questions are really his longevity and the height of his peak. Comparing longevity he obviously falls well short:

PFA Team of the Year Nominations:
  • Ferdinand 6 times
  • Adams 4 times
  • Terry 4 times
  • Vidic 4 times
  • Kompany 3 times
  • Campbell 3 times
  • Van Dijk 2 times
But his peak is much more compelling in this company: He's transformed a shaky defensive line. Notwithstanding the impact of Allison, nobody else in that group has had such a singular impact on the rest of their back 4. He's also transformed the rest of the team. Liverpool's compactness and high press is possible because Van Dijk can defend better than anyone on the half-way line. That's arguably the single biggest driver behind their 2 consecutive Champions League Finals and 196 points in 2 seasons. He has a 3-year peak that's only matched by Ferdinand for me.
Agree with this, Rio's the only one with a case for having a better peak. The likes of Vidic and Kompany aren't at that level.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No, he's right and you've got it backwards. A system can only ever be as good as the players execution. A great system is the one that maximizes the players strenghts and minimizes their weaknesses. There is no such thing as a system independent of the players. Now having said that, it is also true that there are systems more conducive to work successfully with a larger proportion of players

And the long balls over the top
You seem to have read a different post to mine. I didn't say that a system was independent to the players, I actually said that it was dependent on them and that what constitutes a "great" system or success depends on the players that you have. For example, if you have a group of mediocre players, a great system is a system that allows them to be the best among mediocre teams. You can have a great system with mediocre players, otherwise you would be arguing that there are no teams with great systems outside of top teams which is obviously wrong.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You seem to have read a different post to mine. I didn't say that a system was independent to the players, I actually said that it was dependent on them and that what constitutes a "great" system or success depends on the players that you have. For example, if you have a group of mediocre players, a great system is a system that allows them to be the best among mediocre teams. You can have a great system with mediocre players, otherwise you would be arguing that there are no teams with great systems outside of top teams which is obviously wrong.
Yeah i think we might be arguing over semantics :lol:

Sorry about that

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Which is it? Either he’s overrated or one of the best?
Erm... he’s vastly overrated by those who unironically label him the greatest centre-back of all time. He’s been good for, what, two seasons? Hardly an extensive body of work, is it?

A major affront to the stellar standards Ferdinand, Terry, Kompany, Campbell, Vidic et al produced for nigh-on a decade, and that’s only from the Premier League era.

Last edited:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I wouldn't read much into Liverpool's mentally hungover defensive form since winning the title. They were always going to settle down once they got their groove back, but they will not relentlessly pick up clean sheets until Van Dijk is back. Either way I think he's comfortably in the top bracket of centre-halves the Premier League has seen alongside Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell, Vidic and Kompany (I'm sure others would throw Adams in too). The questions are really his longevity and the height of his peak. Comparing longevity he obviously falls well short:

PFA Team of the Year Nominations:
  • Ferdinand 6 times
  • Adams 4 times
  • Terry 4 times
  • Vidic 4 times
  • Kompany 3 times
  • Campbell 3 times
  • Van Dijk 2 times
But his peak is much more compelling in this company: He's transformed a shaky defensive line. Notwithstanding the impact of Allison, nobody else in that group has had such a singular impact on the rest of their back 4. He's also transformed the rest of the team. Liverpool's compactness and high press is possible because Van Dijk can defend better than anyone on the half-way line. That's arguably the single biggest driver behind their 2 consecutive Champions League Finals and 196 points in 2 seasons. He has a 3-year peak that's only matched by Ferdinand for me.
I find myself often agreeing with you and it’s the same again. I do think longevity and the importance that the individual places on it will probably be a primary factor on how he is assessed and placed. @giorno touched on it as well, but his raking diagonal balls from deep are also excellent at bringing Salah and Mane into the game. He has really had a transformative effect.

Web of Bissaka

Is Van Dijks form pre-injury and Liverpool’s form post-injury a bit of a rain check for those that were proclaiming him the best EPL defender of all time?
That is already ridiculous idiotic in the first place :lol: it's like people forgot the many greater defenders of before. There's plenty and VVD is not even close. Well okay, he's close but not at their level.

Same, I'm curious what tales are they going to spin next if they maintain that view. Either that or they finally change their mind.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone who genuinely believes that Van Dijk has only been good since he joined Liverpool seriously needs to watch another sports. The world does not evolve round the top 4 teams in English football. Van Dijk has been a ridiculous talent since his days in the Scottish leagues.

GlasgowCeltic

Erm... he’s vastly overrated by those who unironically label him the greatest centre-back of all time. He’s been good for, what, two seasons? Hardly an extensive body of work, is it?

A major affront to the stellar standards Ferdinand, Terry, Kompany, Campbell, Vidic et al produced for nigh-on a decade, and that’s only from the Premier League era.
he’s been the best for that long, he’s been “good” for a lot longer than that

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He was the best CB in the league dating back to his final season for southampton at least. Which is why Chelsea and City were ready to spend big on him, why liverpool did and why southampton reacted the way they did when whoever the idiot was who made liverpool's tapping up public

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
he’s been the best for that long, he’s been “good” for a lot longer than that
He was commanding in Scotland in what is a level comparable to the Championship. He was good at Southampton, albeit prone to brain farts which many believed would prevent him producing world-class form at the top level over a prolonged period of time.

He played to a high standard in his first 18 months at Liverpool but was decidedly shaky this term before his injury. As @Pexbo suggests in his OP, Liverpool, statistically, are more defensively solid in his absence. Go figure.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He was commanding in Scotland in what is a level comparable to the Championship. He was good at Southampton, albeit prone to brain farts which many believed would prevent him producing world-class form at the top level over a prolonged period of time.

He played to a high standard in his first 18 months at Liverpool but was decidedly shaky this term before his injury. As @Pexbo suggests in his OP, Liverpool, statistically, are more defensively solid in his absence. Go figure.
The top two in Scotland might be championship level but the rest certainly aren't.

My boys Wycombe took John Sutton from the Scottish top flight a few years back. He was scoring loads up there. Came to us in tier 3 or maybe even 4 back then and was rubbish. Went back to the Scottish top flight and continued scoring!

Righteous Steps

He was already the best CB in the league at Southampton, or pretty close. You don’t spend 75 on a cb for no reason... All the attributes he showed at Liverpool was already apparent at Southampton.

acnumber9

Notwithstanding the impact of Allison, nobody else in that group has had such a singular impact on the rest of their back 4.
You obviously don’t remember how poor United were at the back the year we lost Stam. Went from champions with the best defence to third with an awful defence. One Rio later we were back to being champions with the best defence.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You obviously don’t remember how poor United were at the back the year we lost Stam. Went from champions with the best defence to third with an awful defence. One Rio later we were back to being champions with the best defence.
Not entirely true, after we got Ferdinand it took him a few seasons to hit peak Rolls Royce form. It also coincided with Vidic coming in.

I do recall that game against Middlesbrough where Yakubu turned Rio and they put 4 past us :lol:

acnumber9

Not entirely true, after we got Ferdinand it took him a few seasons to hit peak Rolls Royce form. It also coincided with Vidic coming in.

I do recall that game against Middlesbrough where Yakubu turned Rio and they put 4 past us :lol:
It’s objectively true. We went from third and conceding 45 goals to first and conceding 34 goals. That was an instant impact.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
True he was what was needed after Stam. And he become the bedrock behind most of the success that decade. But I'm not convinced his signing was as singularly influential as Van Dijk's. United's defence improved in Rio's first year, and then the following year was back down to 3rd best in the league again. Even during that improved first year, it was vulnerable in Europe, and shipped 7 to Real in the quarters. After that first campaign it just didn't look as imposing as the Invincibles back line or Mourinho's Chelsea. It wasn't until 2006 that United's defence became properly shored up when Vidic, Evra and Van der Sar joined, which was also around the time Rio removed the concentration lapses from his own game to step up to the next level where, in my view, he became the best defender in the world.

acnumber9

True he was what was needed after Stam. And he become the bedrock behind most of the success that decade. But I'm not convinced his signing was as singularly influential as Van Dijk's. United's defence improved in Rio's first year, and then the following year was back down to 3rd best in the league again. Even during that improved first year, it was vulnerable in Europe, and shipped 7 to Real in the quarters. After that first campaign it just didn't look as imposing as the Invincibles back line or Mourinho's Chelsea. It wasn't until 2006 that United's defence became properly shored up when Vidic, Evra and Van der Sar joined, which was also around the time Rio removed the concentration lapses from his own game to step up to the next level where, in my view, he became the best defender in the world.
A lot of those problems were caused by having shit keepers though. The same kind of problems Liverpool have every time Alisson doesn’t play. The Real Madrid game you mentioned in particular was in large part due to Barthez getting beat by shots that would not have beat somebody who wasn’t a midget. It’s fair to hold the opinion that Van Dijk had a bigger instant impact, but it’s at least close for me.

firstkuyttouch

Anyone who genuinely believes that Van Dijk has only been good since he joined Liverpool seriously needs to watch another sports. The world does not evolve round the top 4 teams in English football. Van Dijk has been a ridiculous talent since his days in the Scottish leagues.
had to look for this bit of logic. He was a giant in training wheels at Celtic

padr81

Supports
Man City
Sadly we'll never know how good he could of been because Pickford killed him. Was all over the news for years and some Pool fans were going to march in silent protest to have Picko jailed for his crimes.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Defenders are partly a product of their surroundings. Put VVD in a shakey back line with little protection and he wouldn’t look half the player.
They did that to him and he made the Liverpool defence immaculate

el3mel

I will say he's definitely top 10 best defenders in Premier League of all time. Best overall is definitely a stretch though. I will give it to Rio.

RedDevil@84

but anyone who was proclaiming him the best EPL defender of all-time was either a Liverpool fan or a weirdo, really
So pretty much the entire media then.
It has been talked about as a matter of fact in the media so many times that it is ridiculous. And it is not just with VVD. The talk about City being the greatest PL team ever assembled, couple of seasons back and the same with Pool last season, it was all so premature. You don't play in 1 or 2 seasons and then proclaim that it is the best ever. Just should not happen.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It has been talked about as a matter of fact in the media so many times that it is ridiculous. And it is not just with VVD. The talk about City being the greatest PL team ever assembled, couple of seasons back and the same with Pool last season, it was all so premature. You don't play in 1 or 2 seasons and then proclaim that it is the best ever. Just should not happen.
Yes you can, the same way I can ask what team was better between the 1998-99 and 2007-08 United teams. We can rate teams based on the accomplishment of a single season.

RedDevil@84

Yes you can, the same way I can ask what team was better between the 1998-99 and 2007-08 United teams. We can rate teams based on the accomplishment of a single season.
Ok. I should have worded it better. If the talk was about best ever team or best ever player, at least I believe it should be over several seasons.

BrownRecluse

Supports
Liverpool
It’s hard to say greatest PL can of all time because they all have different strengths. Vidic/Rio was probably the best IMO. It didn’t hurt that they were playing under the greatest manager ever though.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The talk about of teams is usually based on their particular season. The question is how important their European success in that estimation & how do you rate the level of their opposition. You can argue that Van Dijk’s best season is the best individual season by a PL defender – it’s just that generally players are judged on a slightly different metrics.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes, but you have to show it at the highest level in a high pressure environment when you're being compared to all time greats. Performing at Celtic isn't comparable with performing at Liverpool. Heck, even showing quality for Southampton isn't really the same thing. When you're comparing top class footballers, the world nearly does revolve around the top leagues.

As for this thread, it just goes to show that its a team sport and people place too much importance on individual glory. Liverpool's defensive improvement has even more to do with the collective solidarity than it does with individual brilliance, and hence the improvement back then (adding VVD) and improvement this season (removing VVD). Doesn't mean he isn't a brilliant CB, just that there are many factors that go into these things.

McTerminator

Is Van Dijks form pre-injury and Liverpool’s form post-injury a bit of a rain check for those that were proclaiming him the best EPL defender of all time?

13 of the 19 goals they have shipped in the league this season came in the 6 games he played, conceding just 6 in 7 since his injury.

They conceded just 3 in 6 in the UCL without him.

Considering how seamlessly Fabinho has slotted into his place, how much of the hyperbole surrounding Van Dijk can be attributed to his talent and how much to Klopp’s system?
While I would love to get rid of the notion that VVD is a Maldini regen, this is an unfair take in my opinion.

It has been covered in other threads that the entire league were conceding more goals at the beginning of the season and that as teams got sharpness and fitness that trend started to buck. Think VVD is a victim to that as much as anyone.

Clearly he’s one of the best CBs around. But he cannot be compared to the great defenders - there is zero competition.

who is the second best CB in the PL? The fact that no one stands out shows how poor the cohort of centre halves are.

It’s a complete joke to suggest he’s one of the best ever, and only promulgated by Liverpool fans.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
His peak was comparable to any of PL's best defenders (Rio, Vidić, Stam, Terry, Carvalho), but anyone who was proclaiming him the best EPL defender of all-time was either a Liverpool fan or a weirdo, really. He still has some time to try and claim that title, mind you, but I really doubt that he will.

He certainly was the catalyst for their success, although Alisson's role in their transformation is understated. Klopp's system didn't work nearly as good with weaker individuals in those key positions.
Van Dijk's reputation is probably thanks to him standing out more than any defender I can remember. I can' t recall an CB being as broadly accepted as the best as him.

I think in this context, the actual question is the old discussion if defenders have regressed in general. And I tend to disagree. Sure, the current best CBs don't look as rock solid as Vidic and co. but I believe that has much to do with the evolution of football.

cyberman

It’s a shame but it looks as if the injury has done a number on him. He isn’t even the best CB at Liverpool anymore

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Pre injury he was great even with my United bias i would have to concede that, was he the best premier league defender ever? Not for me i still rate the likes of rio vidic Terry or stam but that all said I get it if someone says so he was really good

What he did was especially impressive considering the high line they had previously, I watched most of their 2019 campaign and I feel the only terrible performance was that barca semi where it didn't matter anyway in the end

In the end he won't be ranked above the guys I just mentioned as he seems to have regressed and for longevity's sake he ain't up there but his peak was really good and for two season he was the best defender in the world