VAR | 2021/22 Performances

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
When people say VAR is at fault, I assume they mean the people operating it? There’s nothing wrong with the technology. Referee’s are simply worse than ever since its introduction.
Referees hate it. Referees have been running a racket for years, protecting their own interests and reputations to the detriment of the game.

ROFLUTION

When people say VAR is at fault, I assume they mean the people operating it? There’s nothing wrong with the technology. Referee’s are simply worse than ever since its introduction.
Well yeah.
Let's not pretend VAR is an actual advanced technology when half of it is based on (often stupid) human decisions.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Ye

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The rule change is irrelevant. It was reversing a (stupid) rule change whereby completely accidental handballs that gave you no advantage were being penalised.

He controlled the fecking ball with his hand. That is always a handball. Always has been. Always will be.

Yeah football laws have always depended on refs using some context on it

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The rule change is irrelevant. It was reversing a (stupid) rule change whereby completely accidental handballs that gave you no advantage were being penalised.

He controlled the fecking ball with his hand. That is always a handball. Always has been. Always will be.
Matterface just being dense then trying to claim it was according to the rules

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Even without VAR I'd have said letting that goal stand was very poor given how clear the handball was.

The automatic offence for accidentally handling the ball before a goal is gone (unless it's by the goalscorer). But this is still a handball unless you think his movement justified his hand being in that position. And given how extended his arm was, most rational people wouldn't think that.

Edit:

This. Did his movement justify his arm being in that position? I don't think so. His arm being in the air is justified by his jump alright but then it not only hangs there but extends further from his body after he's initially controlled the ball and controls it again. The only thing his arm being there allowed him to do that he couldn't do otherwise is handle the ball.

Last edited:

OverratedOpinion

Even without VAR I'd have said letting that goal stand was very poor given how clear the handball was.

The automatic offence for accidentally handling the ball before a goal is gone (unless it's by the goalscorer). But this is still a handball unless you think his movement justified his hand being in that position. And given how extended his arm was, most rational people wouldn't think that.
It has happened since VAR came into place, the fact that things go through both the match official and another official who can watch the reply a bunch of times in slow motion yet still regularly make mistakes. It just shows how poor our refs actually are. Mike Dean became the head ref in this country ffs. Mike Dean

Grib

this shouldnt even be a var thing, ref was looking right at it:wenger:

OldSchoolManc

That one decision (or lack of) has ruined the entire game for me.
Jaw dropped. Not a level playing field. Obvious bias for some obscure reason

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
In all my time of watching United this is the first time I have seen every fan irrespective of club thinking that it’s a ludicrous decision

SuperiorXI

Absolutely mental decision. Imagine they did this at the World Cup final? There would be riots... but no, because it's the old underdog story it's fine apparently

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is such an annoying argument. The whole point of VAR is to remove human error by allowing repeated replays of contentious moments and make absolutely sure the correct decision is reached. That’s how it was sold to us anyway.

Only anyone with half a brain knew that you get disagreement even after repeated replays because we saw it happen every fecking weekend on MOTD. So the supposed upside of VAR was always smoke and mirrors.

OverratedOpinion

If the goal is correctly ruled out, Boro continue to keep a higher line, we score again and game is over.

Our players aren't as tired on Tuesday and we start well and win the game comfortably.

None of this might have happened but it is likely enough that if the opposite happens and it costs us top 4 by 1 point then it is worth multi millions of pounds. This can cost people jobs.

Any other industry those types of stakes have so much more scrutiny and are treated as a big issue. For referees it is just viewed as "oh refereeing is hard, let's not criticise them for a moment and they never need to face the stakeholders to answer for it."

I think we will win in extra time and we should still beat Burnley but I just wish there was some accountability for referees.

Lewnited

I've generally been all for pushing through a period where officials have to adapt to the new technology but feck me, what a set of brainless idiots we have destroying the integrity of the game...

What bugs me more than anything is that if that's the other way round Taylor would've blown his whistle before the ball was even in the net.

Dan_F

Referees hate it. Referees have been running a racket for years, protecting their own interests and reputations to the detriment of the game.
Said this in the match thread. I guess they will argue their hands are tied with the rules, but I’d bet any regular football viewer could make better VAR decisions.

No one cares if it’s clear and obvious, no one cares if it’s intentional, no one cares if it’s the actual ref that makes the final call. Just look at the video and make the right decision, it’s really not hard at all.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
This is such an annoying argument. The whole point of VAR is to remove human error by allowing repeated replays of contentious moments and make absolutely sure the correct decision is reached. That’s how it was sold to us anyway.

Only anyone with half a brain knew that you get disagreement even after repeated replays because we saw it happen every fecking weekend on MOTD. So the supposed upside of VAR was always smoke and mirrors.
But it does remove error from offside decisions and has been used to good effect for penalty/red card calls.

I think the solution is to do away with the second referee sitting in a room miles away. You're better off having it as a 'challenge' option for managers similar to the NBA. If you take it away we're all still going to be blasting referees every week. Taylor missed that blatant handball when he was in a great position to see it. Taking VAR away doesn't change that.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Just heard the explanation. Absolutely incredible. Morons who don't know what football is. Accidental. Hit his body. Wtf.

ManUArfa

But it does remove error from offside decisions and has been used to good effect for penalty/red card calls.

I think the solution is to do away with the second referee sitting in a room miles away. You're better off having it as a 'challenge' option for managers similar to the NBA. If you take it away we're all still going to be blasting referees every week. Taylor missed that blatant handball when he was in a great position to see it. Taking VAR away doesn't change that.
Agree with this. There should be only one official making decisions except for offsides.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Agree with this. There should be only one official making decisions except for offsides.
You could even let the fourth official on the side of the pitch consult with the referee and have them do it together on the monitor, but the current set up with a second referee miles away doesn't work imo.

UncleBob

I have absolutely no idea how that handball is deemed accidental given the position of his arm, fully stretched out from his body.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Again there is a reason the law was changed but it wasn’t to allow absolutely anything like this . Even a blind guy can see that the ball is going away from him & he is able to control it only because of his hand . He clearly gets an unfair advantage from using his hand which is against the whole point of football. Surely some context or common sense has to be used

Lentwood

You see those handballs given 100% of the time in midfield. Ball pops up, hits an outstretched arm, given 100% of the time, everybody nods and gets on with the game.

I can't fathom how that can possibly not be handball. Truth is, 99% of handballs are technically accidental, very rarely does a player deliberately handle it, just get rid of the stupid wording.

Pogue Mahone

The commentator was so smug about this rule change thing it almost feels as though the VAR gimp was on the same vibe. Trying to show that he’s up to speed with the new guidance that a handball in the lead-up to goal no longer has to be a definite penalty every time.

Yet somehow forgetting that a handball is still a handball. And that was a handball.

Pogue Mahone

You see those handballs given 100% of the time in midfield. Ball pops up, hits an outstretched arm, given 100% of the time, everybody nods and gets on with the game.

I can't fathom how that can possibly not be handball. Truth is, 99% of handballs are technically accidental, very rarely does a player deliberately handle it, just get rid of the stupid wording.
The way it’s always been refereed is that an accidental handball is when someone else kicks the ball onto your hand and you can’t move it out of the way in time.

But if you kick the ball onto your own arm then it’s obviously a fecking handball. Even more so when your arm is the only thing that stops the ball getting away from you. We’ll be waiting a long time to see a more blatant handball. Absolutely rotten decision.

Brophs

The One and Only
The instinctive thing that all football fans feel when they see that goal is that it shouldn’t count because he got an advantage he wouldn’t have had otherwise. The law essentially intervening to render what would otherwise just be a handball legal because he didn’t mean it is one of those where football ties itself in knots trying to fix a problem by making a problem. Especially when you consider that had he controlled that ball onto his hand and it had looped over Henderson into the net then it wouldn’t have been allowed.

Stretfordender

Handball of not a handball. We had over an hour there in total to still win the game. Ffs.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It's obviously not a problem of VAR, but a problem of the handball rule.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Also how was that law allowed to be brought into place, why should it matter whether he scores the goal or someone else does

I think it was probably because they were trying to avoid a situation where the ball just flicks off someone’s hand on a cross or something but it’s obviously not to be used when someone gets the ball because of the handball and then passes for the goal

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
the game has officially gone.

EVERYBODY knows that’s handball. FIFA decided to tweak the rules just enough to cause confusion and controversy though, now the rules don’t even know what they’re supposed to penalise anymore :lol:

the guy doesn’t control the ball unless he knocks it down with his hand, it’s that simple.

The stupid thing is I guarantee you if that’s in midfield they give it as handball 100%.

If Pogba did that in our penalty box trying to clear a corner it would be a penalty.

we’ve been shafted.

Matterface trying to explain it was absolutely hilarious! “if he scores it himself it’s disallowed, but if he passes it it’s fine!” :wenger:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Matterface trying to explain it was absolutely hilarious! “if he scores it himself it’s disallowed, but if he passes it it’s fine!” :wenger:
She's right, if it is judged to be an accidental handball, which it was. The problem is that it shouldn't have been deemed an accidental handball.

A lot of the pundits excusing it seem to be fixating on the details of when an accidental handball should cause a goal to be disallowed rather than whether it qualifies as an accidental handball in the first place, which is obviously the big issue.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
That was without a doubt the worst decision I have ever seen. They literally saw the guy controlling the ball with his hand, allowing him to make that assist and still found a way to twist the rulebook and make the wrong decision.

If the ball didn't hit his hands, he'd have to stretch to regain control of it and wouldn't have been able to assist the guy at the far post. That's an unfair advantage. Referees are making wrong decisions even with all the help they're getting. It's just plain downright incompetency.