VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

mav_9me

My conspiracy theory is they are deliberately sabotaging VAR to get it canceled.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That tinfoil hat of yours is bordering on RAWK levels. Pretty much every team in the league has been fecked over by an appallingly bad VAR decision. The fact that it happens so frequently is down to the poor standards of refereeing.
I'm sure that's what they've also been saying for years in Spain before it all came out. Besides if you had basic reading comprehension skills, you'd understand that I said it's a possibility, not a certainty. Poor standard of refereeing doesn't explain the decision to not award Brighton the pen today, to not even call the ref to check it is crazy

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
There's no conspiracy... It's just terrible refs, made me terrible by really terrible VAR implementation
It can seem like a conspiracy when the terrible decisions exclusively happen in the bigger (home) side’s favour. I’m not talking today about soft corners, or lots of cheap freekicks. I’m talking about five major game-changing decisions - three of them behind dispute for even the most ardent opposition - plus the soft corners and cheap freekicks.

If you saw the match today at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, every neutral would cringe.

It was corruption.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Was the decision even looked at by VAR? One of the worst non penalty calls I’ve ever seen.

edcunited1878

My conspiracy theory is they are deliberately sabotaging VAR to get it canceled.
Then that's ass backwards as usual from The FA. Is it not used in every other top domestic league in UEFA?

It is also how PL was the last major UEFA domestic league to adopt to 5 subs. They're just fecking stubborn morons who don't want to be accountable.

Martin(6)Buchan

Always thought VAR was there to assist and make thing's better for football, so compare football to rugby VAR is like chalk and cheese, it is unreal how bad VAR is turning out to be.

kouroux

It can seem like a conspiracy when the terrible decisions exclusively happen in the bigger (home) side’s favour. I’m not talking today about soft corners, or lots of cheap freekicks. I’m talking about five major game-changing decisions - three of them behind dispute for even the most ardent opposition - plus the soft corners and cheap freekicks.

If you saw the match today at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, every neutral would cringe.

It was corruption.
I find it hard to be this bad at refereeing without doing it on purpose but who knows

devil99

Exactly my thoughts too. They want to rest their controls back.

All along the way while trying to sabotage, were able to show their biases too.

Idxomer

VAR shouldn't be selected from the same pool of incompetent refs we have.

I mean they let Mike Dean and other former refs be part of it after retiring, it's a farce.

Edwards6

So lucky for Spurs today, the ref and var were useless.
They should be mic'd up so we can understand how they're making decisions because so many of them don't make sense

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
I find it hard to be this bad at refereeing without doing it on purpose but who knows
I am also a qualified ref, level 2, and don’t profess to be up to anything like league standard. But that was absolutely shameful today.

I genuinely could do a better job.

For people reading this who didn’t watch the match, I can say without hyperbole it was the single worst refereeing/VAR performance I have seen in the Premier League.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
The league. Stir shit up and create narratives. In this case, keep the battle for top 4. It sounds crazy, but I'm struggling to find reasonable explanation. Today was just so blatant.
It does sound crazy, yeah. To me at least. The fact that we're even having this conversation goes to show how bad it's become. Even the technology that was supposed to help them is being used badly or not at all. It's a shit show.

RedOrange

The league. Stir shit up and create narratives. In this case, keep the battle for top 4. It sounds crazy, but I'm struggling to find reasonable explanation. Today was just so blatant.
De Zerbi complained about the quality of refereeing in the PL and was fined and suspended for it earlier this season. They're all going to take every opportunity to feck Brighton over for a while.

Strelok

Imo they, the ones who run the league, simply wanted to keep the fighting for top 4 alive. If Spurs had lost today it'd be basically over. Anyway looking at how they've been playing it already is imo. They're crap.

kouroux

It does sound crazy, yeah. To me at least. The fact that we're even having this conversation goes to show how bad it's become. Even the technology that was supposed to help them is being used badly or not at all. It's a shit show.
I think everyone will agree with that, I don't really like entertaining the idea that the refs are corrupt

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't think you can brush under the carpet the possibility of them being corrupt
It's amazing how people here think that it's not possible, when corruption was involved in pretty much every country at any different aspect of life, for centuries.

Especially because referees in England(and probably rest of the world too) are paid peanuts in comparision with players and everyone else involved in the game, as their wages are revealed every year, and yet they are the one who are generally under pressure every single week to perform, probably more than many players involved.

People here like to laugh at any suggestion of corruption, but it happened at pretty much every level of football, so even statistically it's realistic to think that at least one or two refs in history of Premierleague were bribed by some teams in the past 30 years. I mean, that's human nature of things, it's not some science fiction stuff.

I don't neccesarily think that they are bribed at this moment though(or they well could be, who knows?), but I am quite sure the owners of premierleague want spectacle in every game, so that's why we are seeing this random stuff every week.

Lecland07

Imo they, the ones who run the league, simply wanted to keep the fighting for top 4 alive. If Spurs had lost today it'd be basically over. Anyway looking at how they've been playing it already is imo. They're crap.
Wouldn't really make sense, though. Brighton would be within 7 points with a game in hand if the won today, so it could be cut to 4. They would be in a better position than Tottenham are in now, who are 3 points off and have played 1 game more.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Wouldn't really make sense, though. Brighton would be within 7 points with a game in hand if the won today, so it could be cut to 4. They would be in a better position than Tottenham are in now, who are 3 points off and have played 1 game more.
Do Brighton draw TV worldwide audiences and the associated revenue? Penny to the pound compared to the “Big Six”. Today was corruption.

Strelok

Agree. Make this even harder to understand. Refs surely can make mistakes but definitely impossible to this extent.

90 + 5min

Mic and cams on referees and VAR room. Transparency is what is needed. We need to hear what is being said and how some situations are discused.

brian017

I feel Webb has ruined VAR as now the decision on the field is so heavily weighted against VAR. That foot trip should have been the perfect use of VAR and its unbelievable to see it not given.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I genuinely don't think it's corruption. It's just that the standard of officiating in this country is so appallingly bad that it's become almost discernible from it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I honestly think the goal Mitoma had disallowed for “handball” was an even worse decision. Especially when you consider the two handed shove he got in the back before playing the ball (with his shoulder)
I’m still waiting to see an angle which shows that it’s handball

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’m still waiting to see an angle which shows that it’s handball
There weren’t any!

VAR had one job in that situation. To ensure that a perfectly legitimate goal stood. Failing that, it could have made the ref look at the shove that unbalanced Mitoma before he played the ball. One job and it fecked it up.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Just saw spurs decisions, maybe one of the craziest and one sided set of VAR decisions ever.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think it was given in real time so VAR didnt have the angle to overturn it?
It had multiple angles showing that he didn’t handle the ball. Conveniently all of these angles also clearly showed Romero shoving him with two hands in his back before he received the ball. But none of this matters apparently. Because VAR is a shit waste of space.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Absolutely criminal. Still fuming. Match bought and paid for.

kouroux

It's amazing how people here think that it's not possible, when corruption was involved in pretty much every country at any different aspect of life, for centuries.

Especially because referees in England(and probably rest of the world too) are paid peanuts in comparision with players and everyone else involved in the game, as their wages are revealed every year, and yet they are the one who are generally under pressure every single week to perform, probably more than many players involved.

People here like to laugh at any suggestion of corruption, but it happened at pretty much every level of football, so even statistically it's realistic to think that at least one or two refs in history of Premierleague were bribed by some teams in the past 30 years. I mean, that's human nature of things, it's not some science fiction stuff.

I don't neccesarily think that they are bribed at this moment though(or they well could be, who knows?), but I am quite sure the owners of premierleague want spectacle in every game, so that's why we are seeing this random stuff every week.
It's a possibility alright. Money has the power to corrupt anyone at any level.

Barnslig

I think it was given in real time so VAR didnt have the angle to overturn it?
This is my biggest problem with VAR - who gives a shit what was given on the field and the "clear and obvious error"?! Just make the right decision ffs.

tomaldinho1

Yep been saying this since we first saw it and the issues which arose being all down to ref error. It’s not like we see a couple of mistakes here and there, it’s just full on, no holds barred bad decisions every week.