VAR and Refs | General Discussion

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
The Gordon penalty is such a bizarre one for me. He comes in from behind and desperately swings in a leg, is nowhere near competing for the ball but blocks the path of Phillips playing the ball and thus gets kicked. No idea how it's anything other but a foul the other way.

redshaw

The Gordon style pen has happened before and given. I really don't think a player looking ahead and in the process of passing out of danger can do anything about it. It's a cynical ploy to win a foul/pen.

If a player like Gordon gets there earlier and the defender then pretends to just put his foot through the ball and the player making out he was just clearing it then yes it's a foul and penalty. The timing was such that Gordan is fouling the defender and this type of play should not be rewarded with pens.

Oranges038

Just watched some of the highlights from the weekend. That Mudryk penalty that led to the Burnley player and Kompany being sent off was a bad decision. The state of his first and second touch, he's not in control of the ball, defender just uses his body to turn and shield the ball, that donkey throws himself down and gets a penalty for it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If he is getting nowhere near the ball it hasnt affected the play and therefore should be treated as an off the ball incident so no pen.
He is being impeded before the ball is played and the the ball passes the vacinity of where he was

FujiVice

The Ashley Young one was the most obvious penalty you will see. Stone waller all day.

MegadrivePerson

The referee in the Brentford v Brighton game got called over to the monitor but didn't overturn his decision.

Has this happened before in the Premier League?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The referee in the Brentford v Brighton game got called over to the monitor but didn't overturn his decision.

Has this happened before in the Premier League?
A couple, but only the second time it's happened this season I think.

It's a shame because now obviously he's embarrassed his mate in the VAR booth by going against him and everyone is pointing and laughing.... Or you know, everyone is just fine with the right decision being made and nobody cares about refs enough to feel embarrassment for them.

Jev

It seems like VAR will much rather overturn a non-penalty than a penalty. That one was so soft.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Damning indictment of the PL that the best foreign ref they could find was this clueless wanker from the other side of the planet.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Clear fecking dive. Backing the ref and bottling a decision

90 + 5min

You can’t make this up. Done once again by referees. Where is our club with any sort of statement?

El Zoido

TNT sport on the premier league payroll to gaslighting us in to thinking that was a stonewaller? Was a clear fecking dive.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I would not give that as a pen, he seemed to keep his balance if he even got touched by Dalot. Fall was very theatrical.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The first one was already soft. This one had literally zero contact.

For pen decisions VAR is just 'my mate on the field is right', whether he is or not.

Jev

I thought it looked a definite pen in real time and Madueke’s tumble didn’t look easy to fake. Dalot was also very guilty-looking. I think slow-motion is deceiving us again.

First one was soft as hell.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Remember the Rashford one where he was subtly clipped, think it was v Southampton? Everyone called it a dive.

Refs are so inconsistent, it’s beyond a joke.