VAR and Refs | General Discussion

jeepers

I've watched it a few times and initially thought the same as you. But I think the defender amazingly gets a nick on the ball first.
No way Davies gets a touch on the ball without going through Pellestri there. Surprised there has been zero to minimal discussion on major sports news about this.

big_jeffstar

No way Davies gets a touch on the ball without going through Pellestri there. Surprised there has been zero to minimal discussion on major sports news about this.
This is half the problem, if it’s a decision which goes for us, it’s brought up in every media outlet around the world… if we don’t benefit.. it’s swept under the carpet, they pick and choose when to apply the rules of the game by the millimetre, and when to not even bother checking at all, and it’s becoming more and more a case of wether we’d benefit or not.. look at that City goal that was a mile offside, then compare that to the Garnacho goal where his bollock hair is offside, (and even that is debatable)
Last night the penalty was waved away, also declined by VAR, and then they decided to go back and award it anyway because Bayern protested.. so they used VAR as an excuse….it’s a joke

Last edited:

cyberman

Were you complaining about the one given in the FA cup final?

In the modern era that's a penalty as enough distance and Eriksen dosen't have his hands by his side.
Nonsense posts like this is why we don’t get a decision anymore that’s even 70/30 in our favour.
But what about that decision you got 5 months ago? Weren’t complaining then were you? HUH??
This season alone, 6 games in, we have had about 3/4 different pens declined to us that used the logic of why the previous call was incorrect and now we’ve had one against us to complete the set.
Fantastic consistency.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Don't know why you're surprised it's a VAR decision that went against us. You know what the media are like when it comes to decisions against United. Meanwhile we'll possibly get one more piece of luck from VAR this season and the same cnuts will have a fit over it and go on about VAR favouring United like they did after the Wolves game.

Revan

Assumptionman
The moment I saw the incident in VAR, I was expecting a penalty. The threshold in European football for handball penalties is way lower than in EPL. Essentially, if your hand is not attached to your body and you touch the ball, it is a penalty.

I also think not giving a pen to us was the correct decision. Bayern’s defender made contact with the bal before he touched Pellestri. Rio also agreed with that.

HackeyC

Absolutely not surprising in the slightest.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's touched the ball first. Whether he touches Pellestri at the same time then becomes irrelevant.

We should be more annoyed that Pellestri wasn't on his toes to make much more of a great chance.

arnie_ni

I've watched it a few times and initially thought the same as you. But I think the defender amazingly gets a nick on the ball first.
He might well have done but var don't know that. There wasn't enough time for them to make that determination which is the infuriating thing.

I have no doubt in my mind if that was the other way around the var ref would have reviewed it.

He may still have not given it, but he'd have give it a fair go anyway.

ZupZup

He's touched the ball first. Whether he touches Pellestri at the same time then becomes irrelevant.

We should be more annoyed that Pellestri wasn't on his toes to make much more of a great chance.
He is literally kneeing Pellistri in the back of his thigh before the balls gets even close to him… he’s gone straight through him and got a toe on the ball at the end.

Heinzesight

He might well have done but var don't know that. There wasn't enough time for them to make that determination which is the infuriating thing.
That’s so true. They are supposed to be reviewing everything but can’t have had time to look at that. The corner was taken almost immediately.

Still think our players need to learn to stay down longer if they think they’ve got a possible penalty as it might give more time for VAR to at least have a look.

Tragically Hip

The camera went immediately to Davies' face and it was clear he knew he fouled Pellistri. Hopefully this VAR bullshit evens out soon.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Yes he nicked the ball but not in a controlled manner-dangerous play. Penalty.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The ref in the Brighton Vs Athens match was genuinely one of the worst refs I can recall... Absolutely terrible standard.

sirAlexsglasses

This is an absolute piss take it really is, that was shocking, and when was the last time we had anything from VAR, honestly every single call has gone against us.

acnumber9

It’s the right call. It’s the consistency of giving them that is the problem.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Again the right call. But it is frustrating how often this seems to happen to us.

ForFuchsSake

That was offside so a fair decision but I don’t celebrate any goals anymore. Barely muster any form of response. Probably doesn’t help that this United team makes me feel complete apathy.

Dr. StrangeHate

I want to do to the VAR rooms what the allies did to German bunkers in the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan.

Dan_F

Keeper wouldn’t have saved it, but you have to give it. Unless it was against United obviously.

Nero

The issue isn't whether it was the right or wrong decision. The issue is the exact same incidents are happening that are given as goals/penalties.