VAR and Refs | General Discussion

astracrazy

This is not a feasible way to play the game. What if we scored in those 60 seconds, what then?
Not sure. The clock doesn't get counted back so I guess it would count.

But then if Man City scored would they still have been given a penalty...some how I doubt it. This what I mean by some sort of advantage being played.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Time for your ETH to stop being quiet about the refs and var and be a prick like the rest of the big mgrs in the league.

90 + 5min

It just feels like its a other week where I'm saying to people one day it will come out VAR has been involved in match fixing. And I 100% believe it will happen.
I will not say this or that. The only thing I can say is this is not normal and there should be investigations. If our club doesn’t try that and release some sort of statement they can never raise their voice towards anything. How can you as a club sit happy and see what is going on?

For me this season have just pointed out to those who didn’t believed that before. That is how referees and PL are treating us.

Anustart89

Well if you knew the rules you'd know why, it was clearly outside the area and as such is not reviewable
Denial of goalscoring opportunity not reviewable? You might be the one in need of freshening up your knowledge of the rules.

fallengt

Gabriel's fault on Hojlund looked more on a pen than any hand grab in the box ever since. Yet this one never got a review
Says alot about VAR

90 + 5min

Just read comment from tenHag about penalty. If he can't call that for what it is he has nothing to do in this club and should just leave tommorow. Appaling answers.

Silence from the club is just as baffling.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yes I have to say that Man. City penalty was one of the softest you'll see all season and really wasn't a clear and obvious error by a long long way.

They'll have been far more obvious shirt tugs from set pieces in the nine other prem games this weekend. Infact I was watching a game the other day (can't remember who it was) and the comms actually said shirt tugs rarely get penalised for penalties anymore.

Sander Berge getting manhandled near the end by the Bournemouth player was a more obvious obstruction than the penalty today and that was just overlooked. As was Hojilund v Arsenal.

arnie_ni

Yes I have to say that Man. City penalty was one of the softest you'll see all season and really wasn't a clear and obvious error by a long long way.

They'll have been far more obvious shirt tugs from set pieces in the nine other prem games this weekend. Infact I was watching a game the other day (can't remember who it was) and the comms actually said shirt tugs rarely get penalised for penalties anymore.

Sander Berge getting manhandled near the end by the Bournemouth player was a more obvious obstruction than the penalty today and that was just overlooked. As was Hojilund v Arsenal.
yep, apart from that one world cup they are rarely ever given. Id say if you watch the United game again there's probably a more obvious pen (likely maguire cause he's handsy) that wasn't even reviewed.

RedDevil@84

Didn't Webb justify some Oliver decision few weeks back saying he didn't want to send off because he didn't want to negatively influence a big game.

RedDevil@84

Just read comment from tenHag about penalty. If he can't call that for what it is he has nothing to do in this club and should just leave tommorow. Appaling answers.

Silence from the club is just as baffling.
He seems to have been instructed not to talk or he just doesn't have the balls

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ah but you see. Hojlund was merely in possession of the ball when he was wrestled to the ground. Had he been running in the general direction of “the drop zone”, with the ball several yards away as he hits the deck, it would have been a definite penalty. At least that’s what the cock sucker, Mike Dean, assured me with his insightful analysis today.

Dr. StrangeHate

Easiest solution would be to remove penalties all together, just have a free kick inside the box instead. Penalties are too important to be left in the hands of incompetent referees.

Yakuza_devils

Removing VAR doesn't remove reffing incompetence but it does streamline it. The refs just need better training and accountability. I mean if you work in McDonalds and some kid is getting every burger wrong you don't throw out the frier, you throw oout the guy who isn't doing his job correctly.
I swear before VAR the controversial calls were few and far between. Nowadays it's like every week every game affairs.

What's the point of VAR offside when they can't even draw a proper fecking offside line. Nowadays the offside being called even if you are 1cm offside with dodgy line drawn across. Players can't get advantage with too close offside call. It's all become very technical now.

Also, all those fecking red cards where nobody understand the rules anymore. And the hand ball rules, some given some not. The inconsistency, it goes on and on.

Yesterday was classic example, someone from VAR somehow decided that it was a penalty and the referee on the pitch has no balls to overwrite them even though it was a fecking big mistake, the referee knew it but toe the party line. Hojlund's was never a penalty. Not in a million year.

The VAR spoiled the game. It should stop. We need to scrap it and start all over again.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Until an opposing coach actually comes out and calls out the refs and VARs decisions that benefits their own team through dodgy decisions, nothing will be taken serious enough to change the system. Klopp took it to the extreme which didn’t change a thing but if a manager that benefits from these ridiculous decisions came out and really attacked the injustice of a decision maybe things may start to change for the better.

FerociousCorgis

If that is a pen on hojlund then literally every game should have 2 or 3 pens. That was like what people were worried about with smalling them nothing was ever actually called like that

padr81

Supports
Man City
I swear before VAR the controversial calls were few and far between. Nowadays it's like every week every game affairs.

What's the point of VAR offside when they can't even draw a proper fecking offside line. Nowadays the offside being called even if you are 1cm offside with dodgy line drawn across. Players can't get advantage with too close offside call. It's all become very technical now.

Also, all those fecking red cards where nobody understand the rules anymore. And the hand ball rules, some given some not. The inconsistency, it goes on and on.

Yesterday was classic example, someone from VAR somehow decided that it was a penalty and the referee on the pitch has no balls to overwrite them even though it was a fecking big mistake, the referee knew it but toe the party line. Hojlund's was never a penalty. Not in a million year.

The VAR spoiled the game. It should stop. We need to scrap it and start all over again.
You're right to an extent, but since VAR decisions are analysed much deeper by fans and pundits, it had I feel been heading this way regardless. Like someone would say poor decision and we'd move on. Not they show all the var images, all the angles and because it stops the game the discussion tends to center on those decisions instead of the game moving on.

I don't think we're getting worse decisions more often, the stats point to the opposite but we're getting to see just how subjective and poor officiating is in general with a bunch of rules that have never been fit for purpose.

It's not just football anymore either. You look at the rugby World Cup and refs are being annihilated in a way they never have been before because people are freeze-framing every little thing that suits them on both sides, so like Wayne Barnes has gotten crucified 2 or 3 times in rugby in the last month, a sport that we were long told football ref's need to aspire to be as good as.

I don't even think the refs are worse than 10 years ago, they're just equally as incompetent but it's highlighted way more and we'all have way more access to see that incompetence thanks to the amount of footage available, social media stops in the game and punditry.

Thom Merrilin

That was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. If you accept that decision and also like consistency then there will be at least 5-10 penalties every game.

moodyred

Manchester united officials have no balls to raise any form of complaints. Hence we get screwed over and over again. They are literally laughing in the VAR room.

Micky Targaryen

I'm not big on refs controversy and stuff, but I really do think that the relevant parties should do a thorough investigation on Mike Oliver. This was the first time in my life witnessing a ref stopping play just so he could review an incident which happened a few minutes ago, of which he initially let go!

And the icing on the cake, the said incident which was reviewed was soft as baby poop :lol: Tussles in the box during corners and crosses happens in every game! Are they going to start reviewing every corner from now on and start dishing out penalties? Is this the new precedent?

Red_Aaron

How can he review the incident and decide Rodri has been impeded but then completely ignore the fact he's diving to embellish the contact. He's dragging his foot well before the contact stops his progression, there's no doubt in my mind he could run through that arm, Hojlunds off balance and Rodris a mountain

VAR getting conned by a dive shouldn't be possible

Hojlund was impeded just as much by Stones when he went clear through but stays on his feet and gets nothing - where was the var review for that. It's a sad state that I'm annoyed we didn't try to cheat too yesterday

Irrational.

Surprised ETH stayed silent and only replied ‘no comment’ when asked about the penalty.

You know Klopp would be on that microphone like a Rottweiler with a squeaky toy if Liverpool were the victims of such a decision.

90 + 5min

Manchester united officials have no balls to raise any form of complaints. Hence we get screwed over and over again. They are literally laughing in the VAR room.
This. Situation we are in is beyond incompetence. You can’t have 4 crazy decisions deciding 4 games so we lose. 4 of 5 games We lost are directly being decided by referees and VAR. Arsenal, Tottenham, CP and now ManCity. There needs to be investigations. People are now questioning integrity of the game and I understand them. It is just shame it took so long when this have been happening for lot of seasons.
Yesterday, I wasn’t even mad. Everyone knew ManCity will get decisions their way. Everyone. This is no longer football. Sadly. What I’m dissapointed is what you wrote about. Silence from our club. Silence from manager. Silence from players. It is like they accept it as long as they get their weekly wages.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It's about time a referee had some actual balls and said: "No that's total bollocks and I'm not overturning my decision"

SMNRe"d"volution

It might be stupid, but rather than referees or VAR referees checking decisions every 5 minutes, I think VAR should be used like cricket or tennis. Limited number of VAR appeals to each team during the whole game (say, 2 appeals). Onus is on captain when to use it. If you use your appeal and the decision is not reversed, you lose your review, but if the decision is changed as per your appeal, you keep your review intact.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Time for your ETH to stop being quiet about the refs and var and be a prick like the rest of the big mgrs in the league.
You keep saying this as if it actually makes sense, somehow placing the blame on ETH for the incompetence of others. This isn't the answer or the solution to this issue. It's a complete non sequitur.

Oranges038

Until an opposing coach actually comes out and calls out the refs and VARs decisions that benefits their own team through dodgy decisions, nothing will be taken serious enough to change the system. Klopp took it to the extreme which didn’t change a thing but if a manager that benefits from these ridiculous decisions came out and really attacked the injustice of a decision maybe things may start to change for the better.
Nice thought.

But that guy won't be Pep. Barca paid the referees off in Spain. Now his UAE overlords are going one better and paying them off in plain sight by offering them a freelance role in the league they pretty much own and fund. It's just got even better for him.

Oscar Bonavena

This is not a feasible way to play the game. What if we scored in those 60 seconds, what then?
I'm pretty sure it's already happened in the PL where a team has scored a goal but it's been chalked off to award a penalty to the other team for a foul at the other end a minute previously.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Something just bothers me that you can play another 60+ seconds for football and then they decide to give them a penalty. It just doesn't sit right for me. It's like some sort of advantage is being played.
Same with the late offside calls. There were two or three incidents yesterday where DCL was offside and they let us play on for 30 seconds+ until we lost the ball again. Just call it ffs.

I haven't checked the news this morning, how many pages was the official apology? Have we lodged our complaint and requested the audio yet?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The difference is that the VAR ref yesterday was recently in the UAE being paid by City's owners to officiate one of their league's matches, with all of the first class hospitality that comes with it.

Yakuza_devils

I haven't checked the news this morning, how many pages was the official apology? Have we lodged our complaint and requested the audio yet?
Yes, we would like to hear what was the VAR officials reasoning for giving the penalty to Man City when Rodri dived.

Oscar Bonavena

As even Danny Murphy (who I can't stand!) said on Motd last night, they haven't been awarding those decisions all season, yet somehow chose the Manchester derby to set a precedent.

That's the 2nd decision in a recent big game involving City this season where Michael Oliver has massively favoured him (not sending off Kovacic v Arsenal and now this powder-puff penalty). And he's getting handsomely paid to ref games for City's owners in the UAE. It's basically an indirect bribe, he knows he needs to keep UAE sweet in order to keep getting these gigs.

It's a direct conflict of interest, but if anyone in this or any other club called it out, they'd probably be banned for the season.

90 + 5min

As even Danny Murphy (who I can't stand!) said on Motd last night, they haven't been awarding those decisions all season, yet somehow chose the Manchester derby to set a precedent.

That's the 2nd decision in a recent big game involving City this season where Michael Oliver has massively favoured him (not sending off Kovacic v Arsenal and now this powder-puff penalty). And he's getting handsomely paid to ref games for City's owners in the UAE. It's basically an indirect bribe, he knows he needs to keep UAE sweet in order to keep getting these gigs.

It's a direct conflict of interest, but if anyone in this or any other club called it out, they'd probably be banned for the season.
This is just one of reasons Premier League shouldn't be taken seriously anymore. Apart for all that other stuff that seem to be going on.

Still nothing in media today. Not from our organisation either. Just silence. As always. Well, at least they are getting payed.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So after the "Romero was too close to Garnacho" excuse that got peddled out after Spurs (and has subsequently never been seen or heard from again), I assume after this one we'll hear how this will "set a precedent for holding in the box going forward" .... only for it to never be given as a penalty again this season.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
So after the "Romero was too close to Garnacho" excuse that got peddled out after Spurs (and has subsequently never been seen or heard from again), I assume after this one we'll hear how this will "set a precedent for holding in the box going forward" .... only for it to never be given as a penalty again this season.
It’s one thing that refs never give them but when the feck does VAR intervene in those?