VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Was listening to under the cosh podcast earlier and they had Danny Simpson on, he told a story how in one game when they were going for the league drinkwater should have been sent off second yellow but clattenburg said to him you should be off but I want you to win. Wtf. I would never have thought there was truth in this but it’s hard to doubt it these days, got me thinking too, was it clattenberg who reffd the spurs Chelsea game towards the end of that season

Ralaks

Was listening to under the cosh podcast earlier and they had Danny Simpson on, he told a story how in one game when they were going for the league drinkwater should have been sent off second yellow but clattenburg said to him you should be off but I want you to win. Wtf. I would never have thought there was truth in this but it’s hard to doubt it these days, got me thinking too, was it clattenberg who reffd the spurs Chelsea game towards the end of that season
Yeah it was, later also revealing his gameplan was to "let Spurs lose the title" instead of following the rules and sending half the team off, because the headlines would be "Clattenburg cost Spurs the title". That and the Dean admission just shows the current setup has zero trust worthyness and it all needs to be completely revamped.

Unless we want the premier league to become a WWE type of spectacle, which honestly doesnt seem too unbelievable at PGMOL, SKY and premier league officials..

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Clattenburg has said that he saw himself as the person responsible for orchestrating the match, not just enforcing the rules, and that he'd basically not do his job if he thought it'd add to the spectacle.

Oranges038

Yeah it was, later also revealing his gameplan was to "let Spurs lose the title" instead of following the rules and sending half the team off, because the headlines would be "Clattenburg cost Spurs the title". That and the Dean admission just shows the current setup has zero trust worthyness and it all needs to be completely revamped.

Unless we want the premier league to become a WWE type of spectacle, which honestly doesnt seem too unbelievable at PGMOL, SKY and premier league officials..
Pep and City just as they are celebrating lifting the trophy Klopp emerges from the tunnel and challenges them to a cage match.

With special guest referee Graeme Souness....

Dansk

Nobody's willing to say it openly because it makes you the target of endless ridicule, but let's face it: the officials are human too, and not only is it human to err, it's also human to be biased and unfair. There's corruption and dishonesty in all walks of life, from law enforcement to politics to the business world. Why would refs be any different? Why would they be uniquely impartial and honest?

There's a reason refs can't officiate international games of their own country, or the games of clubs that they're known to like. It's because anyone with any sense knows that they have the capacity to be biased.

And there's one club that half of England views with spittle-spewing hatred because of decades of dominance and numerous high-profile rivalries. I have no doubt whatsoever that the ABU "movement" includes some number of referees. It would be an incredible statistical anomaly if it didn't. Of course they don't announce it, because that'd be career suicide; but it's irrational to think that they don't have clubs they like or dislike, and that can sway their decisions, whether consciously or not.

Last edited:

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I do think we need to go a system where reviews are called by teams. It was meant to be for clear and obvious errors i.e. howlers. Now feels like the entire game is getting re-refereed and micromanaged very inconsistently by someone watching slo-mo and using still images to make subjective calls. Calls that noone ever complained about before VAR.

Give the teams 2 reviews each to be called by captain or coach. No slo Mo's or still images because they just muddy the waters.

They system should be used to just stop the genuine mistakes, not used to turnover subjective calls.
Yup agreed with this. Almost like what they do in Tennis.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I just listened to this cos I really didn't believe you, oh my god it's true! Football referees are a disgrace.

jadaba

Add Florentino Perez to the growing chorus of people expressing dissatisfaction with how VAR operates. People have always complained about individual VAR decisions but it feels like this season has opened the gates for a wider questioning of the operational structures of VAR.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I just listened to this cos I really didn't believe you, oh my god it's true! Football referees are a disgrace.
:lol: I really have no reason to lie. Danny Simpson was just as shocked with it.

if you listened to it all did you hear the bit about miss California changing once Ronaldo showed up:lol: these podcasts show most teams are just like a better version pub team with very similar attitudes.

it’s for another thread but I listened to Chadwicks one with them too, on about the standards at United and then when he went to Burnley I think it was they were all drinking on the bus after the match and it was more relaxed. I think this is what is meant when United mentality is talked about. That commitment to be the utmost professional and to be the best.

if you have chance listen to the one with Si ferry about di Canio, di Canio sounds bonkers, I was in stitches.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
:lol: I really have no reason to lie. Danny Simpson was just as shocked with it.

if you listened to it all did you hear the bit about miss California changing once Ronaldo showed up:lol: these podcasts show most teams are just like a better version pub team with very similar attitudes.

it’s for another thread but I listened to Chadwicks one with them too, on about the standards at United and then when he went to Burnley I think it was they were all drinking on the bus after the match and it was more relaxed. I think this is what is meant when United mentality is talked about. That commitment to be the utmost professional and to be the best.

if you have chance listen to the one with Si ferry about di Canio, di Canio sounds bonkers, I was in stitches.
The Ronaldo story was great. :lol:

It's interesting how quick he moved to Leicester and how he got dropped so quickly.

I am literally about to board a 10 hour flight so I'll download, thanks for the recommendations.

Oranges038

Add Florentino Perez to the growing chorus of people expressing dissatisfaction with how VAR operates. People have always complained about individual VAR decisions but it feels like this season has opened the gates for a wider questioning of the operational structures of VAR.
All he has to do is pay for the referees reports.

You know, like that other club has been doing for the last 20 years, that way you'll know exactly what the referees will and won't punish. But just make sure you will definitely not be paying them to make sure you get favorable decisions.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The Ronaldo story was great. :lol:

It's interesting how quick he moved to Leicester and how he got dropped so quickly.

I am literally about to board a 10 hour flight so I'll download, thanks for the recommendations.
They have one with Lee sharpe too, worth a listen.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
The funny thing about VAR is the people who asked for it (players, managers, and fans) are now the same people who are calling for its axe. Referees never wanted VAR.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I know my anti-VAR stance is real when I can watch Liverpool denied a late equaliser last night, due to an extremely fussy call, and remain 100% committed to my hatred of the stupid thing.
That was the correct use of VAR. They played on and let the attacking phase finish giving Liverpool the benefit of the doubt and then reviewed it afterwards.

All the salt from McManaman about there being 7 passes before the goal is disingenuous, the attacking phase was allowed to continue and if it was decided it wasn’t handball they would have been beneficiaries of that.

podurban2

Any video of the stamp on Garnacho? Should have been a red given the logic of Rashford’s red, no?

Dan_F

It took less than one half of football to see an exact same situation as Rashford got sent off for. Said at the time people get their boots stamped on all the time. Rashford got sent off because the opponent had his foot 10cm closer.

NM

feck VAR. I didn't celebrate the goal because I'm so scarred by it. If Hojlund doesn't actively jump away I'm sure they would overturn it.

arnie_ni

Wheres giflord when you need him for the 2 pen checks. Would bet money they are both more a pen than the rodri one against us