VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

fallengt

Saka red card. Same Ref. But players treated differently.
Kinda unlucky that Saka slipped tbh. Not a red
But It's Anthony Taylor, he loves controversion. Last UEL final he got plenty of it, without British mates defending him. More of a joke ABU media saying he's United fan because he's from Manchester but ignore the fact, that United gotten most red cards from him :wenger:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Don't give a feck if it sounds bitter, that was 100% a pen on Hojlund. Gabriel makes ZERO attempts to play the ball and is more concerned about taking his man out. Wraps his arms around him to impede his run and obstructs him. It's a clear pen. Useless cnuts, fair play.

Cpt Negative

Kinda unlucky that Saka slipped tbh. Not a red
But It's Anthony Taylor, he loves controversion. UEL final last year and got plenty of it, without British mates defending him. More of a joke ABU media saying he's United fan because he's from Manchester but ignore the fact, that United gotten most red cards from him :wenger:
Tbh - Saka is more of a red card than most given because he’s lost control, he’s trying to correct a mistake, he’s no where near the ball. He also had a sly kick out at Bruno left calf too - which has largely gone unnoticed

RedUnited86

VAR should have been scrapped the moment Mike Dean admitted what we all already know.

“I said to Anthony afterwards: ‘I just didn’t want to send you to the screen after what has gone on in the game.’ I didn’t want to send him up because he is a mate as well as a referee and I think I didn’t want to send him up because I didn’t want any more grief than he already had.”

Here is one of the most high profile referees the Premier League has had, a former VAR official, publicly admitting that he knowingly went against the rules of the game, to save his good mate a headache.

Absolute wankers, the lot of them.

Reactions: Mr Pigeon

Idxomer

One set of English-speaking commentators even said straight away that Gabriel's head was the bit that kept Garnacho onside. Seeing it now makes me feel even angrier.
I noticed that the commentating for a worldwide audience is very different from what I hear occasionally from Sky and BT. They have their biases but they don't show it anywhere to the same degree.

stevoc

It’s pretty clear he’s onside. We got robbed.

If this result was reversed and Arsenal got the office and penalty shout denied and then we won the game, there would be a media meltdown. PGMOL would have already issued a written apology to Arsenal. As it is, crickets.
100% Talksport, Sky Sports and the papers would be frothing at the mouth.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Think they got so much wrong yesterday. Arsenal shouldn’t have had their pen overruled, Garnacho wasn’t offside, Hojlund should’ve had a pen, Evans was fouled for their goal and arguably Saka should’ve been sent off. It’s a joke

Tarrou

Agree with all of your shite take. Not a red card because contact is with his foot, rather than higher up his leg.
does that make any difference to the rules?

studs up with force on the ankle is usually a red isn't it?

stevoc

Especially that ape-faced loser Martin Keown. He would have thrown feces all over the BBC studio for the second time in 8 days if the penalty was given.

This is where the proposal for amending the offside rule would make things clearer through the notion of a definite daylight between striker and last defender. I read that is it being tested in Italy, Netherlands and Sweden. But at the same time, I swear that the Premier League must upgrade its VAR support software to match FIFA's 3D scan of the entire pitch used in 2 World Cups now. You can't rely on an obsolete program time and time again.

One set of English-speaking commentators even said straight away that Gabriel's head was the bit that kept Garnacho onside. Seeing it now makes me feel even angrier.

As for Saka, that was worse than Casemiro's red card against So'ton last season.

After making the rounds on various social media, I agree with one thing in particular: United needs to be far more ferocious in publicly calling out shit officiating in the same manner that Pep and Klopp have done for years now.
Absolutely, ETH and the players need to highlight it every time it happens. And just take the punishments on the chin. This can't keep going on, we've been robbed twice in 4 matches.

Halftrack

the offside law is infuriating bollocks that everyone has to deal with
What gets me is that they decide to make decisions even in situations where they clearly can't say with certainty, because their angles are bad, the resolution and frames are too low, and their lines are shit. There's no reason why they can't, in situations like with Garnacho, say they genuinely can't call it.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I thought the match was officiated ok. I mean VAR did it’s job and overturned a penalty( rightly so) yet the moaning continues. The match was lost because of who was in defence after the 90th minute. Thats it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I thought the match was officiated ok. I mean VAR did it’s job and overturned a penalty( rightly so) yet the moaning continues. The match was lost because of who was in defence after the 90th minute. Thats it.
Just because they correctly came to one decision doesn’t invalidate others they got wrong.

Cloud7

I am no football historian but I’m almost sure that what offside is in modern football is not what it was meant to be when the rule was put into place.

In my opinion the entire offside rule needs reviewing. Unless there is clear daylight between the attacker and the defender, it should be onside. We are getting ridiculous situations where you’re getting a shoulder or a kneecap offside, which I don’t think is actually making the game any better.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
When there's loads of Liverpool fans saying it was a stonewall pen on hojlund then you know they've got it wrong.

stevoc

I am no football historian but I’m almost sure that what offside is in modern football is not what it was meant to be when the rule was put into place.

In my opinion the entire offside rule needs reviewing. Unless there is clear daylight between the attacker and the defender, it should be onside. We are getting ridiculous situations where you’re getting a shoulder or a kneecap offside, which I don’t think is actually making the game any better.
Yep VAR is being used to make decisions for a rule that was never meant to be micromanaged to such ridiculous levels.

Even if a players shoulder is 10-20mm offside. Where's the advantage?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The Hojlund incident looks more and more like a stonewall pen.

The VAR officials needs to be an independent group from the FA refs.
Definitely. After Cnuty McCnutcnut (can't be arsed checking his name) came out the other week and admitted to not giving the correct decision as VAR to help his on pitch mate Fecklesbury Hound. That should've been the moment when the entire integrity of the system was brought into question.

GazTheLegend

Their penalty was incorrectly given. Ours was incorrectly not given. How do those two things rule each other out?

And to be honest I think we are due a moan. I'm absolutely fecking sick of the agenda in the media against us, so I'm gonna moan 100x more and more every time a decisions made against us because we aren't going to hear a thing from the pundits are we, but with the Onana one (far more debatable than they admitted!) We had them demanding apologies from Mike Dean and the PGMOL :wenger: ... And then notts forest a week later.

It's not right. The irony here is that it's hard to question that the better team won, given the game, but that's not the whole story is it. I'm not gonna even question the Garnacho decision (even through for me it's onside, if you're unsure about a millimetre you have to give it as a goal) but the Hojlund one. It's blatant.

El Zoido

I assume Chris Sutton and Gabby Agbonlahor have been frothing at the mouth with rage over our denied penalty on Hojlund yesterday, considering they care so much about the standard of officiating.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I assume Chris Sutton and Gabby Agbonlahor have been frothing at the mouth with rage over our denied penalty on Hojlund yesterday, considering they care so much about the standard of officiating.
Sutton's whole MO is to take the most contentious stance on any issue. He has no interest in providing a fair assessment of what's going on. The sooner he is confined to Talksport and only Talksport the better for the rest of the listening public.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I mean obviously you'd say that but you've taken one correct decision (great) and are ignoring all the other match deciding moments because it's convenient as a WUM. Or you just didn't watch the game, which would make more sense.

Scriblerus

There's just no reliable benchmark for physical contact and its legality. A tap on the shoulder from a defender and a collapsing attacker is pretty much penalised every time, no matter how slight the contact. The kind of wrestling that we saw on Evans and Hojlund is - and not exclusively in this match - often deemed to be legitimate contesting, even when both incidents clearly stopped the player from engaging with the action. I wonder if ex-players would have better judgment than refs who have never played the professional game. (AndI haven't even mentioned the ridiculously obvious offside in City's second goal which defies belief).

Silverman

That show infuriates me, you've got a former ref and a die hard scouser chuckling away at how the decisions were "correct"
The worst thing about that is they just take his word as gospel and never ever push back or interrogate it even when what he’s saying is obviously completely illogical or inconsistent with what he said the week before.
Frankly it's embarrassing. If it wasn't for the games, not a chance I would be paying for the crap on Sky Sports or TNT.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'd say that there needs to be a conversation around VAR after yesterday but what's the fecking point? Only United get decisions apparently, and I'm not surprised everyone thinks that since not a single media outlet are giving a shit about yesterday's mistakes.

RedRocket9908

What about the red card Saka should have had, the penalty Hojlund should have had, the foul on Evans when Arsenal scored their 2nd, or Garnacho ruled offside when it looked like he was onside?

Referring aside why potential penalty on Højlund even wasn’t shown on TV?
Its because it was an Arsenal player fouling a Man Utd player, if it had have been a Man Utd player on an Arsenal player at the other end Sky Spkrts News would have it on a continous loop all week and every TalkSport presenter would be ranting about it.

90 + 5min

I'd say that there needs to be a conversation around VAR after yesterday but what's the fecking point? Only United get decisions apparently, and I'm not surprised everyone thinks that since not a single media outlet are giving a shit about yesterday's mistakes.
We all know the answer. They aren’t even hiding it anymore.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The coverage was garbage. Didn’t show that incident and also not a single replay of Rashford’s skill on the end line. Yet every couple of minutes they seemed to have time for lengthy footage of Arteta poncing around on the sideline.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
That's the key thing, the narrative - even though Ten Hag rightfully raised these points at the end of the game, it's not gained any traction and media outlets have clearly got no desire to pick this up and make it a talking point.

A few posters on here are accusing us of pushing the idea of an ABU agenda and I know some have mentioned this forum becoming RAWK or Bluemoon, but when in the space of a few weeks you have a benign refereeing decision being discussed ad nauseam, followed by the suspension of the refs and a public apology, vs some of the shit that we've been dealt with no outrage or even discussion whatsoever, and the common denominator being Utd, then of course eyebrows are going to be raised.

On the balance of things, Arsenal maybe deserved a win yesterday so I'm not too sour about it, it happens, but it's also perfectly fine to point out that all the deciding calls went their way, and there was at least one truly mental decision for them (the Hojlund/Gabriel rugby tackle, I honestly don't get how there's not more outrage on that one).

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It doesn’t. Textbook reckless tackle.
Should Lindelof also have been sent off for the head kick on Nketiah? I’d say that was equally reckless, with the added factor of boot to head contact.
Personally, I think neither should have been reds, but historically you’ll find examples when both types of foul *have* been. I think both teams benefitted from the referee’s leniency yesterday.

El Zoido

Should Lindelof also have been sent off for the head kick on Nketiah? I’d say that was equally reckless, with the added factor of boot to head contact.
Personally, I think neither should have been reds, but historically you’ll find examples when both types of foul *have* been. I think both teams benefitted from the referee’s leniency yesterday.
Neither were reds for me.

Hughes35

Refs are shocking. VAR hasn't changed that, it just highlights how bad they are.

They used to have a very valid excuse that they saw it once, in real time so would get stuff wrong. Now they have lost that excuse it just highlights how incompetent and corrupt they are. Covering for their mates etc.

Don't think there was anything major in the Utd game ----- Arsenal penalty looked stone wall on first glance but VAR did well to overturn, Garnacho was offside even if only by mm, I do think we should of had a penalty at the end though.

The big one for me this weekend was the City goal where Akanji was clearly offside. How that goal stood is an absolute joke. The VAR and ref team should be investigated after that travesty of a decision.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

No that was low head. Not high foot.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Neither were reds for me.
Yeah, I’d agree. The difficulty is, we’ve likely seen occasional examples of similar fouls given as reds in the past, which allows people an angle to claim unfair or incompetent treatment. I reckon 90% of referees don’t give reds for either.