VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Okay. Let's say I didn't know for a fact.. At the time I thought the ball was out. When I saw the replay I still thought it was out. VAR agreed with me. What is the ref supposed to do? Hate it or love it, based on the info we got, I think VAR was right this time.

This time you cannot question the VAR decision based on the info at hand. Not every trial has the right outcome. But most of em do.
The VAR did not have an angle to be conclusive on weather the ball was out or not. In that scenario what do you think VAR should do?

Cassidy

I didn’t see that but I’ll take your word for it.

They still use multiple camera angles and it looks out.
looks out from an angle you most certainly would not be able to tell conclusively.

Møllemanden

The VAR did not have an angle to be conclusive on weather the ball was out or not. In that scenario what do you think VAR should do?
I think the VAR should use his eyes and base his opinion on the footage available. Or pause the match for six months while video experts draw lines and analyse the video.

Come on, man. Move on. United were second best all day long.

Cassidy

I think the VAR should use his eyes and base his opinion on the footage available.
Which is inconclusive.
Never said Brighton were not better but that was not the point here.

VAR cannot be sure the ball was in or out.

Cassidy

Fair enough. I disagree with you though. I think the footage available was sufficient to disallow the goal.

Wish you were right. :)
We can agree to disagree. Im not even saying it was in, Im just saying from the footage I have seen I don’t see how you can say either way.

Cassidy

I can clearly see grass in between the ball and the line. I'm not sure what else I need.
A brain to know that the ball is curved and there fore the angle you are seeing you can see grass even when the whole ball is not out of play

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
A brain to know that the ball is curved and there fore the angle you are seeing you can see grass even when the whole ball is not out of play
Wasn't there an incident in the world cup, was it in a Germany game, where a similar thing happened, everyone was sure the ball was out as it looked like clear daylight between ball and line, yet a look above the ball showed that the whole ball wasn't out due to the curvature?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
:rolleyes:

The photo is right down the line genius. Are you suggesting change the camera angle until it touches the ball? Can't possible be this obtuse.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I think the term is ‘clear and obvious’, no? To me it was both clear and obvious that the ball was out, and the fact that there was no perfect angle to conclusively prove it doesn’t change that. You seem to be arguing that because there may have been a non-zero element of doubt, that VAR can’t overturn. I don’t think that’s how VAR works

Cassidy

I think the term is ‘clear and obvious’, no? To me it was both clear and obvious that the ball was out, and the fact that there was no perfect angle to conclusively prove it doesn’t change that. You seem to be arguing that because there may have been a non-zero element of doubt, that VAR can’t overturn. I don’t think that’s how VAR works
Its not clear and obvious it was out. The definition of clear and obvious is that there is non zero element of doubt by the way

Care_de_Bobo

That Simpsons episode where Homer enters the third dimension would blow some minds on here, I swear. Maybe it was out, but the angle people are basing their judgement on was not conclusive in the slightest.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
And still you do not get it
Oh I get it. You trying to tell me the camera angle posted in this thread is somehow the wrong angle even though we are staring at straight line, meaning the ball should never have any grass between it and the line if it wasn't out. Like you said, all you need is a brain.

Cassidy

Oh I get it. You trying to tell me the camera angle posted in this thread is somehow the wrong angle even though we are staring at straight line, meaning the ball should never have any grass between it and the line if it wasn't out. Like you said, all you need is a brain.
This statement is incorrect

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
You are never going to have a perpendicular camera shot from directly over the ball everywhere it crosses the lines but that was not too bad. The second one though... you absolutely can't make a call based on that angle when you can hardly even see the ball. Don't think they are at all comparable.

Should have a too close to call option always favouring the attacking team, but we would then probably be discussing its erratic application.

berbasloth4

Var needs to be scrapped, it is used in near every competition differently even in the fa cup it’s used in some games and not others.

football used be one the only sport’s basically the same from grassroots right up now it’s near the opposite

Thom Merrilin

It looked out from what I saw but I agree that the angle isn't conclusive. Does VAR have access to camera angles that don't get shown on TV? If not I don't understand how VAR can go against the on field decision.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

This wasn’t out btw.
Exactly. There’s this weird assumption that seeing a gap between the ball and the line means it has crossed the line. But you can have a visible gap and the ball still be in play because its widest part is still over the line. Which is what happened in the picture you showed and probably happened today.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Its not clear and obvious it was out. The definition of clear and obvious is that there is non zero element of doubt by the way
Disagree. I think Utd had a penalty overturned recently where it was simply not possible to make a non-zero claim about what effect the minimal amount of contact made by a Utd player had on the Arsenal player, or if the contact was even made. Yet it was overturned. Offsides are based on stills from cameras that cannot capture every infinitely small moment in time. They are snapshots. Yet they are overturned. I’d go so far as to say there will almost never be a non-zero decision in something like VAR I’m football.

Grande

I think it’s pretty clear from the available footage that it’s debatable, so not clear and obvious error by the ref and linemen to rule it in. VAR decisions, injuries, people with meldowns - We have absolutely shit for luck these first months of he league. Unfortunately, with the hysterical fans and sensationalist media jumping in on top, it looks like it’s starting to get to the players as well.

Cassidy

Disagree. I think Utd had a penalty overturned recently where it was simply not possible to make a non-zero claim about what effect the minimal amount of contact made by a Utd player had on the Arsenal player, or if the contact was even made. Yet it was overturned. Offsides are based on stills from cameras that cannot capture every infinitely small moment in time. They are snapshots. Yet they are overturned. I’d go so far as to say there will almost never be a non-zero decision in something like VAR I’m football.
Actually the Arsenal player made contract with the United player and that was the reason for it being overturned. Even then I did not believe that met the threshold for something that should he overturned.

And as the VAR people say offside is done by the system which takes into account multiple angles and has software which takes into account the angle when drawing the lines.

What we do know is that from the angle the VAR looked at the ball can look out and it not be out and that is not a small 0.1 % chance of that being the case but actually its likely to be the case due to the fact the ball is curved. When it looks that close from the angle that ball has a reasonable chance of actually being in play

Thom Merrilin

I think there's a clear difference between the Havertz incident and a ball going out of play or an offside call. One involves multiple moving parts with deception potentially involved, the other is literally two lines. Or in other words objective vs subjective. VAR should only inform the on field ref of objective facts imo.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
hahah it's like drawing blood out of a stone isn't it with some people?

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I think there's a clear difference between the Havertz incident and a ball going out of play or an offside call. One involves multiple moving parts with deception potentially involved, the other is literally two lines. Or in other words objective vs subjective. VAR should only inform the on field ref of objective facts imo.
How do you apply that to offsides that are based on however many frames per second, and thus couldn’t ever capture the exact moment of a pass. Or a camera that can never be calibrated exactly. You accept a margin of error surely?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
This statement is incorrect
Explain to me how the ball being curved applies to a line shown at a near 90 degree angle? You realize this makes a difference, right?

You are never going to have a perpendicular camera shot from directly over the ball everywhere it crosses the lines but that was not too bad.
I’m glad I’m not the only who understands basic geometry

Cassidy

Explain to me how the ball being curved applies to a line shown at a near 90 degree angle? You realize this makes a difference, right?

I’m glad I’m not the only who understands basic geometry
Its not 90 degrees for 1 and 2 the lower part of the ball will mean you can see grass

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Its not 90 degrees for 1 and 2 the lower part of the ball will mean you can see grass
It’s pretty damn close.

I’m obviously talking about the the point where you would measure the diameter. Do you not see that no part of that circle touches the white line?