VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

cyberman

How? They just didn’t check it. So it has zero relevance on ones they checked. Neville is talking bollocks.
It questions what they actually look at and how closely they do. This isn’t just getting it wrong but a complete breakdown in protocol.
In the last month we’ve had one ref say he didn’t intervene because he didn’t want his ref mate on the pitch to eat shot and now this

90 + 5min

He wasn't crazy for suggesting the wrong angle was used, he just didn't seem to know how the system works. The entire point of the tech aspect is that it compensates for the camera angle, so what ETH argued simply didn't make sense. The only way the "wrong" angle could be used is if they couldn't actually see the relevant body parts.
Garnacho was onside. That was clear when ball was being passed forward. Drawing lines when ball is already on the way is wrong in every aspect. However, no apology issued to us against Arsenal. No apology issued when we didn't get penalty against Tottenham. No apology issude today when we didn't get penalty. No apology issued against Wolverhampton when they didn't gave us 2 penalties. No apology issued when Evans scored clear goal last week.

cyberman

As long as they could see the relevant body parts in the angle they used (which they could) then the offside lines are the same as they would be from any other angle they could have used. Again, that's the entire point of the tech, it compensates for the angle. Arguing they used the wrong one is nonsensical.
The technology compensates for the angle in relation to drawing the line, not to spotting the correct body part. It won’t take much to go outside the margin of error and there’s absolutely no reason why they would use a worse angle and ignore the angle that was straight on.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
:lol: :lol:

Woopsie!

Klopp rightly furious, like this does feck all. And they can’t even really call these morons out without getting additional bans and fines.
Exactly. Either they replay this Spurs game (can of worms I know) or they allow Klopp 2 minutes of screen time calling each ref involved in the game cnuts, bastards, mother feckers, clear Arab money grabbing cheats, etc.

But, hey we got an apology.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It questions what they actually look at and how closely they do. This isn’t just getting it wrong but a complete breakdown in protocol.
In the last month we’ve had one ref say he didn’t intervene because he didn’t want his ref mate on the pitch to eat shot and now this
Them deciding to not draw the lines offers zero insight on how accurate the lines are when they do draw them.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
They are a shambles. Don’t get me wrong, love that Liverpool got shafted by it, but my god, they are utter shit at their job and have no idea how to implement it at the appropriate times, let alone get the right decisions:

Garnacho's Shoelaces

As long as they could see the relevant body parts in the angle they used (which they could) then the offside lines are the same as they would be from any other angle they could have used. Again, that's the entire point of the tech, it compensates for the angle. Arguing they used the wrong one is nonsensical.
Not true. The greater the perspective angle from the camera to the line being interpreted, the greater the margin of error of the technology (i.e. the 3% error rate becomes a greater real world distance) and also if the wrong frame is selected (Garnacho v Arsenal) then that error is magnified with a more obtuse angle.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
This season has seen so many var controversies that it’s really hard not to have the whole thing undermined. Confidence in the refs is at an all time low and they need to do something about it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Garnacho was onside. That was clear when ball was being passed forward. Drawing lines when ball is already on the way is wrong in every aspect. However, no apology issued to us against Arsenal. No apology issued when we didn't get penalty against Tottenham. No apology issude today when we didn't get penalty. No apology issued against Wolverhampton when they didn't gave us 2 penalties. No apology issued when Evans scored clear goal last week.
As per the tech, which was applied in complete line with how it is supposed to be, he was offside.

You could argue that the camera doesn't offer a high enough frame rate for sufficient accuracy if you want, though even then Garnacho was outside the margin of error they introduced to compensate for that.

Regardless, the specific suggestion that they used the wrong camera angle was nonsense. Whatever angles was used, it was going to show the same thing.

marktan

This season has seen so many var controversies that it’s really hard not to have the whole thing undermined. Confidence in the refs is at an all time low and they need to do something about it.
It's been like that ever since VAR was introduced for me. So many questionable calls.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Yeah, as usual the story should be the complete incompetence and cowardice of the officials involved. Get rid of them. Get in some actual decent officials in, from wherever in the world they might be. How much could it really cost to get the bloke who had the World Cup final from the Polish league? Keep the VAR officials and the on-field referees separate so there's no more "my mate on the field is right" arse-covering bullshit.

But nah, it'll likely just be "we should get rid of VAR" again.

Righteous Steps

It's been like that ever since VAR was introduced for me. So many questionable calls.
It was like that before VAR the refs arr the problem, there should be no Human intervention with VAR calls like offside, make it all computer based.

Cpt Negative

It’s happened to them so it’s going to be on front page if every news paper and Sunak will be discussing it in The Commons on Monday.
If it’s true the clubs voted not to use a more accurate technology, then they reap what they sow. not one controversial offside in the World Cup, yet leave it to the clowns that had years of poor decisions to be given the chance to make more errors.

The margin for error on offsides was too great. There’s about a 20cm margin of error for the fastest premier league players due to camera FPS limitation

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Exactly. Either they replay this Spurs game (can of worms I know) or they allow Klopp 2 minutes of screen time calling each ref involved in the game cnuts, bastards, mother feckers, clear Arab money grabbing cheats, etc.

But, hey we got an apology.
To be fair, tey've already given Liverpool a greater compensation than any other club by acknowledging it and apologising. United have had potential or actual game changing VAR errors against Wolves, Spurs, Arsenal, Palace and nothing but denials from Webb and Gallagher.

You also know that Liverpool will now be compensated indirectly by being awarded the majority of 50:50 decisions for the foreseeable future to avoid being on the receiving end of another Klopp conspiracy rant like the United penalty one which influenced us for 3 years.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not true. The greater the perspective angle from the camera to the line being interpreted, the greater the margin of error of the technology (i.e. the 3% error rate becomes a greater real world distance) and also if the wrong frame is selected (Garnacho v Arsenal) then that error is magnified with a more obtuse angle.
The wrong frame was not selected. They selected the first frame available to them in which it was clear the ball was played, which was exactly what they were supposed to use.

You might argue that a sufficiently accurate frame didn't exist for them to use due to the camera frame rate. But then that's why the margin of error exists, which Garnacho fell outside.

90 + 5min

As per the tech, which was applied in complete line with how it is supposed to be, he was offside.

You could argue that the camera doesn't offer a high enough frame rate for sufficient accuracy if you want, though even then Garnacho was outside the margin of error they introduced to compensate for that.

Regardless, the specific suggestion that they used the wrong camera angle was nonsense. Whatever angles was used, it was going to show the same thing.
I don't know if they did use wrong angle or not. The only thing I can say is that he wasn't offside because they were not drawing lines when ball was released. Lines were put when ball was under way.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

The wrong frame was not selected. They selected the first frame available to them in which it was clear the ball was played, which was exactly what they were supposed to use.

You might argue that a sufficiently accurate frame didn't exist for them to use due to the camera frame rate. But then that's why the margin of error exists, which Garnacho fell outside.
Ball was already released in the VAR frame used. With two players travelling in opposite directions at high speed, can make a significant difference.

Line on defender was drawn onto wrong body part also.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
VAR as technology is not the issue, its the people applying it.

We have just added a new layer of human decision making.
:lol: The amount of times I’ve read this. It’s just a video replay, the lines and freezing is no where near accurate enough.

El Zoido

At least Klopp is giving them both barrels after the game. Ten Hag is quiet as a mouse while we keep getting screwed over. To hell with the fine, just get out there and call out this incompetence ffs.

Anustart89

has anyone got a clip of the other incident I think Martial or someone behind him took a shot and the Palace player had his hands on his chest and kinda saved it or it looked like he did. I thought that was nailed on too.
Nah, hands firmly tucked in towards the body, never a pen.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
At least Klopp is giving them both barrels after the game. Ten Hag is quiet as a mouse while we keep getting screwed over. To hell with the fine, just get out there and call out this incompetence ffs.
This is my biggest complaint with Ten Hag. It’s happening week after week and all he says is he doesn’t want to make excuses.

Show some nads, man. Fergie would spend 90 minutes bollocking the 4th official, then move into his post match presser and go after the ref, then just refuse to speak to the media/ban them from Carrington if he didn’t like what was written afterwards. Not saying it’s ethical but it works, 100%. And at this level it’s all about gaining that small advantage to stand above the rest.

Castia

I thought the red card on Jones was correct but the way they handled that was also ridiculous

They had the ref come over and instead of showing the full incident in slow mo they had a still of what looked like an ankle breaker which would have certainly swayed the ref before even watching the incident back.

Not like he was ever going with another decision anyway once called to the screen we just seem to accept that 99.9% of the time they go to the screen decision is changed which is a further farce

DavidDeSchmikes

Ten Hag does point our decisions that go against, but imo it's just done with a shoulder shrug

90 + 5min

This is my biggest complaint with Ten Hag. It’s happening week after week and all he says is he doesn’t want to make excuses.

Show some nads, man. Fergie would spend 90 minutes bollocking the 4th official, then move into his post match presser and go after the ref, then just refuse to speak to the media/ban them from Carrington if he didn’t like what was written afterwards. Not saying it’s ethical but it works, 100%. And at this level it’s all about gaining that small advantage to stand above the rest.
Been saying that for long time. Both him and club are just letting everyone down by being to nice.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Honestly, if there was no VAR I could live with the linesman not getting the offsides right. It was part of the game as their eyes are not eagle eyes. But Var somehow has managed to feck up offsides( for all sides)which is the easiest of all decisions they have to make. The owners and Mgrs have to get together and scrap it, protest it,and perfect it in pre season games again. These calls will get a team relegated or win a league. Again I can live with these calls if VAR wasn’t checking them but they are and STILL are getting them wrong.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't know if they did use wrong angle or not. The only thing I can say is that he wasn't offside because they were not drawing lines when ball was released. Lines were put when ball was under way.
Ball was already released in the VAR frame used. With two players travelling in opposite directions at high speed, can make a significant difference.

Line on defender was drawn onto wrong body part also.
As I said, they're supposed to use the first frame available to them in which the ball has been clearly played. So I don't know why you're saying the bold as if you didn't expect to see the ball having been played in the frame they used. There is indeed room for difference between that frame and the hypothetical perfect frame that would exist if the camera framerate was better, which is why they have the MOE Garnacho fell outside. You can feel free to complain that the MOE doesn't sufficiently compensate for the gap in frames if you want, but it is what it is. Until the tech improves, they can only work with the frames and MOE at their disposal, which they did.

And they didn't use the wrong part of the body. The defender's shoulder was further forward than his head because his upper body was turned. Again, that's something they're able to easily determine with the scope lines they use, and in this case I thought it was pretty clear just from looking at the image. Though given at least one poster tried to tell me it was physically impossible to have your shoulder further forward than your head, I'm not surprised there's an unwillingness to accept that.

There was no conspiracy or error in that offside call. You don't have to like it, you might think there is room for error in the system, but it was completely consistent with how offsides are supposed to be applied. In fact we've had much tighter calls than that go against us in the past.

Anustart89

VAR has ruined the game. 100%.
I agree that VAR has been a net negative, and the one time they have the chance to show the usefulness of VAR (overturning the offside decision for Diaz's goal), they just feck it up in spectacular fashion.

If you forget to check an offside when your job for the day is literally checking that situation, then you're fecking hopeless. Seriously, I think I'd do a better job at VAR than these numpties and I genuinely mean that as a challenge to Howard Webb to invite me over to be VAR for a day.

You know what, scratch that. I think I'd be a better VAR from my sofa than these guys are sitting in a multi-screen room. Just gimme a shout Howard and we'll sort out the details and show everyone how useless those cnuts are.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Anyway, feck up on the offside call aside, I thought the two reds were the correct call. But because they messed up the offside the reds will probably get fed into the narrative of injustice too.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Var isn't this bad in other leagues is it?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
As I said, they're supposed to use the first frame available to them in which the ball has been clearly played. So I don't know why you're saying the bold as if you didn't expect to see the ball having been played in the frame they used. There is indeed room for difference between that frame and the hypothetical perfect frame that would exist if the camera framerate was better, which is why they have the MOE Garnacho fell outside. You can feel free to complain that the MOE doesn't sufficiently compensate for the gap in frames if you want, but it is what it is. Until the tech improves, they can only work with the frames and MOE at their disposal, which they did.

And they didn't use the wrong part of the body. The defender's shoulder was further forward than his head because his upper body was turned. Again, that's something they're able to easily determine with the scope lines they use, and in this case I thought it was pretty clear just from looking at the image. Though given at least one poster tried to tell me it was physically impossible to have your shoulder further forward than your head, I'm not surprised there's an unwillingness to accept that.

There was no conspiracy or error in that offside call. You don't have to like it, you might think there is room for error in the system, but it was completely consistent with how offsides are supposed to be applied. In fact we've had much tighter calls than that go against us in the past.
I thought you said in the past, may have been someone else, that the offside is called from when it first touches the passers foot, not when it leaves the foot. What does it mean ‘when it’s played’? Massive difference in frames to when it first touches the passers foot to when it leaves it