VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Yes, in the choice of which players and which bodyparts to use. If the judges are unsure, they can also try different bodyparts, but with a good angle that's usually not necessary.

Both me and @sullydnl said several times that camera angles are important for this function, so you already know that I of course acknowledge this. Why are you asking as if you don't?
Some people prefer to oversimplify to “win” arguments.

For example, let’s say a handball is given against a player because his arm is judged to be in an unnatural position, for the purpose of that aspect of the handball law, intent doesn’t matter. But for other aspects of judging handball, intent very much does matter.

So when it comes to handball, does intent matter? Reducing that down to a yes/no question makes no sense.

It’s the same with the camera angle when it comes to offsides.

Pages of moaning about a close offside call that didn’t go your way weeks ago feels a little small-time. Before VAR, to keep harping on about a marginal call a month later would be unheard of.

ManUnitedCanuck

They better start realeasing the audio for every decision from here on out. OR they are now determining when they think it should be released? That doesn’t seem fair to everyone in the league.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They better start realeasing the audio for every decision from here on out. OR they are now determining when they think it should be released? That doesn’t seem fair to everyone in the league.
I’ve got a funny feeling that VAR officials are suddenly going to be very careful about what they say.

saivet

A bit confused as to why so many are adamant that Garnacho was onside vs Arsenal. At worst it looks like a tight call but it's really not similar to the situation at the weekend which was clear cut.

Rojofiam

Just seen this, as much as I hate Liverpool I'm genuinely disgusted by this...and how many of our games they must have messed up like this?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The tech that's meant to Eliminate critical errors has now caused a massive one in an important fixture that could have millions riding on it if Liverpool lose out on CL or a title by a point etc.
It's a total and utterly depressing thing for football and those delighted that it happened to Liverpool need to look by that.

That something like this can happen in the PL is appalling

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but on the TV cameras that we see during the game, it says what the VAR is checking for in the top left corner usually. On this occasion it said it was checking a "disallowed goal - offside". It's quite clear on the audio that VAR thought the goal was given and they were checking a possible offside. The lack of clear and concise communication is the obvious contributor to the human error here, as well as the pace at which they are directed to make a decision.

Plus, they're all talking over the top of each other without any sort of hierarchy or methodology. Very amateur stuff for a professional football league all round really and common sense should have prevailed on the day but didn't. I was floating with the idea of conspiracy theories or whatever else before hearing the audio but I'm more inclined to believe this to be a mistake. A very grave and stupid mistake, but just that.

Just hearing Darren England going "aaaaand stop, check complete, check complete" :lol: beggars belief. Can only imagine how Liverpool feel hearing the incompetence.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Ultimately, it was just incompetent officiating - something that has happened for the entire history of the game.

I can't see it happening because it's such a farcical suggestion (and a cursory look doesn't show Mirror Football's twitter account or the sports page on the website saying any of this anyway), but we may as well just scrap the sport if this ever happens.

erikcred

What a remarkably dangerous precedent that would be. Will never happen though.
Ultimately, it was just incompetent officiating - something that has happened for the entire history of the game.

I can't see it happening because it's such a farcical suggestion (and a cursory look doesn't show Mirror Football's twitter account or the sports page on the website saying any of this anyway), but we may as well just scrap the sport if this ever happens.
That would be the most ridiculous thing ever. If they redo that game then they would be required to replay multiple games.
Can worms open every springs to mind. Then again they've always bent over for these cnuts so nothing would surprise me
Zero per cent chance that happens.
Not sure why this is being discussed as if this is a legitimate piece of news.

Put it in the same basket as "Hamilton may have to give up his first F1 championship to Massa, says random lawyer" and "Verstappen may have to give up his first F1 championship to Hamilton, says random lawyer".

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

Put it in the same basket as "Hamilton may have to give up his first F1 championship to Massa, says random lawyer" and "Verstappen may have to give up his first F1 championship to Hamilton, says random lawyer".
I did acknowledge that there appears to be absolutely no basis for the claim despite the tweet tagging Mirror Football.

acnumber9

Which is probably why all of us said it won’t happen.

Oranges038

It won't be replayed.

That audio was terrible, they fecking thought the on field decision was a goal. Chris Kamara level stuff.

Ridiculous. All of them should be sacked.

erikcred

I did acknowledge that there appears to be absolutely no basis for the claim despite the tweet tagging Mirror Football.
Which is probably why all of us said it won’t happen.
I know :D

I was just making the point that there is a difference between "interesting thought, but won't happen" and "so outrageous, why would someone even bother making something up like that".

In fact, I recently found out:
"Sports lawyer says United may have to give up 2 league titles to Liverpool because they once played a home game at Anfield, activating a little known First Division rule". Discuss.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd

It is though isn't it?

DavidDeSchmikes

I've got nothing wrong with PGMOL apologizing and swiftly releasing the audio at the request of Liverpool, but in the future they will have to be applied to all other clubs who may feel wronged by VAR

redIndianDevil

In cricket we can hear what the third umpire is talking to the onfield umpire while checking reviews. That's the way to go for VAR as well.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Jurgen Klopp should be utterly ashamed to even whisper the word 'replay'. Absolutely pathetic behaviour from a so-called top manager.

redIndianDevil

I've got nothing wrong with PGMOL apologizing and swiftly releasing the audio at the request of Liverpool, but in the future they will have to be applied to all other clubs who may feel wronged by VAR
I think it was a bad precedent to set, obvious human error from the transcript but now every team is going to demand this. PGMOL could have just played the tape behind doors to Liverpool to show it was just human error.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Klopp has actually called for it to be replayed :lol: :lol: :lol:

The absolute brass neck
I fail to see how this isn't anything other than intimidation at this point. Yes, it was an outrageous decision but Liverpool like every other team has benefitted from these kinds of mistakes.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
If the result went in their favour I’m pretty sure the way this wouldn’t have blown up like it did. Can think of tonnes of decisions through VAR that were awful but nobody speaks about that anymore. Liverpool however, it needs to go further. What’s this about a replay? How could that even happen? Football is ruined if that ever became a thing.

reddyornot

Was yesterdays game, the first time this season, where VAR didn't get a decision wrong in one of our games?

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying
I think it was a bad precedent to set, obvious human error from the transcript but now every team is going to demand this. PGMOL could have just played the tape behind doors to Liverpool to show it was just human error.
It's not a precedent, they have apologized and released audio many times before.

MegadrivePerson

Surely it's a good precedent? Why should incompetent officials be allowed to hide away and get away with this sort of thing?

I wonder how many times this sort of thing has happened before?

Josep Dowling

Klopp using the media once again to manipulate decisions on the pitch. That's them for the rest of the season receiving favourable decisions by refs. Needs to be called out by other managers as all clubs in the league could point back to VAR decisions that have gone against them, and cost them points. Liverpool in particular have had so many decisions go there way. Only last season they had a clear offside goal against Wolves in the FA cup. It should have been disallowed but the goal was given and they won the game. Did Liverpool ask for the game to be replayed? Even Wolves didn't bother.