VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Chief123

Defo the worst VAR decision I’ve seen to date. Hand in an unnatural position, intentionally moves his hand towards the ball. Blatant.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Shocking decision. Barca were robbed of a point.

Cloud7

If there’s one team who have benefitted from refereeing decisions over the last 10-15 years it’s been Barcelona so I have zero sympathy for them.

It’s actually decent justice after Busquets performance in their match against Inter in 2010 that got someone sent off.

Anustart89

Considering that the tweet says that the arm was stretched out all the way and my eyes see his elbow joint at a 90 degree angle as the ball hits it then I’m going to file this under “let’s agree to disagree”. It’s also quite obvious that the handball occurred as a consequence of him missing the header and the arm being there in the supporting position, just like the Barca’s players arm is in a very similar position, because that’s where you keep your arms when attempting to head it.

As for Fati’s handball mentioned in the tweet (haven’t seen it myself), if he scored a goal after it then unintentional handball also counts as an infringement, as opposed to this situation where it has to be intentional or a very unnatural position.

In summary, the guy in the tweet doesn’t know the laws of the game or basic anatomy, or he does know all of that in which case he’s making an illogical argument which makes him full of shit.

It’s not a pen for many reasons under the laws of the game, and especially not once it’s not given on the pitch and the clear and obvious mistake threshold then comes into it. If you want to attempt to convince me otherwise, come at me.

RORY65

Technically I guess it's right given the rules but the rules have only been changed to something so stupid because of VAR.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Just didn't fancy the game being done and dusted so they disallowed it because no replay has shown it clearly hits his arm.

Jack-C20

So the rule is if it touches your hand in attack at all it’s handball but it has to be intentional in defence? Or hand in an unnatural position or whatever it’s called.

Jev

So the rule is if it touches your hand in attack at all it’s handball but it has to be intentional in defence? Or hand in an unnatural position or whatever it’s called.
Yep. It's absurdly nonsensical.

acnumber9

Yes, with added arbitrary time between the handball and the ball going in.

LARulz

I don't get it. It was in a natural position, then why do defenders get away with it if the ball is in a natural position?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Ten Hag needs to go all in on this post match. It’s fecking mental.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Surprised people are surprised, it's been the rule for a while.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Any way the 'law' can find to feck us it does

arnie_ni

Only if its the goal scorer

RuudtheRed

The ball did touch Rashford's arm so I can understand why it was disallowed. There was a similar incident with Mane having a disallowed goal against us at OT a couple of seasons ago and I believe it was correct. However, the abject inconsistency with Middlesbrough's equalizer last season makes me incensed whenever I think about it.

PoTMS

Same day, Scamacca accidentally handles the ball and immediately scores after it. VAR looks at it but still awards it.

crossy1686

career ending
I've been pro VAR since it came in, I'm officially now anti VAR. Not because VAR is shit, but because the twats using it are fecking braindead

prateik

West Ham scored 2 goals today where it touched the hand just before the goal was scored... not 2 cases this season in the league.. 2 cases for 1 team today.. TODAY.

The rule is fine.. the implementation is absolutely pathetic.. how is this acceptable?

Fooza

VAR has highlighted how dumb the rules can be in certain situations. Add a sprinkle of how inept our refs are at being consistent will both equal a recipe of disaster. Games gone

acnumber9

People are surprised when they see the same thing happen and be allowed in one match and not another. The replays I saw didn’t show definitively where it hit him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What was the Rashford "goal" even disallowed for? I mean ball is blasted at his hand at very short range and it's not even clear from replays it hit him there.

That gets disallowed and the Scamacca one gets given hours earlier, staggering.