VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Hammondo

But it isn’t. Nothing in the rules about following or touching an offside player. It was disallowed on the basis that he has impacted the Fulham defender’s ability to play the ball. That’s why it was subjective. Anything else is just fluff.
But following by definition does affect a defenders ability to play the ball.

The Hilton

The automated version of offside I have no issue with but the manual version of var was/is always going to be bollocks because it still the same incompetent morons making the decisions, now it just takes significantly longer to come to decisions that still nobody agrees upon and takes away a lot of the excitement and emotion of watching live games. If it worked to actually more or less eliminate contentious decisions then maybe but the sport and in particular the laws of the sport are not setup to allow that in the first place so its never going to happen, its essentially a bolted on solution that will never work in my opinion and my enthusiasm for the sport might just start to recover if they got rid of it altogether because as it stands I'm struggling to even bother watching united games live and I cant even remember the last non-united game I watched because I just don't see the point when you can get the same level of excitement by watching the highlights later (i.e not very much).
VAR is meant to reduce the issues that come with incompetent officials, the issue with it is that it's run by those same incompetent officials and their main concern is to avoid undermining incompetent officials rather then fixing mistakes.

Getting rid of VAR would be awful, as it'll be a victory for the incompetent officials, who are operating it in a self serving way rather than trying to improve. Instead the maximum amount of automation and transparency needs to be forced on them.

Stan Jefferson

VAR is meant to reduce the issues that come with incompetent officials, the issue with it is that it's run by those same incompetent officials and their main concern is to avoid undermining incompetent officials rather then fixing mistakes.

Getting rid of VAR would be awful, as it'll be a victory for the incompetent officials, who are operating it in a self serving way rather than trying to improve. Instead the maximum amount of automation and transparency needs to be forced on them.
My point is that VAR is ruining football by taking the enjoyment out of watching live games so for me it can't stay in its current guise. Therefore the options would be to scrap it and get the excitement back into live matches whilst accepting that the refs who have always been shit are still shit, or get said incompetent refs and the people above them who have been continually fecking things up since the start to fix it. I have zero confidence that the latter is possible let alone a realistic expectation so my vote would be for the former.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Every single one of your complaints is about implementation, rather than the principle. Right now it's set up to avoid undermining officials, rather than correcting mistakes, and so everything takes longer than necessary so the focus is only goals rather than everything else.
Yes I know they are and can you imagine how bad the game will be and how many stoppages there will be when they start implementing those too! And if they never implement them then they’re just picking and choosing what makes the game fair. So your point of it correcting wrong or bad decisions, especially those that affect the outcome of a game are untrue.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think Harry was offside but as I said earlier he was being fouled before he committed the offside offence so it should really have been a penalty.
Wouldn't work like that unfortunately. if he's in an offside position and is fouled it can't be a penalty.

The Hilton

My point is that VAR is ruining football by taking the enjoyment out of watching live games so for me it can't stay in its current guise. Therefore the options would be to scrap it and get the excitement back into live matches whilst accepting that the refs who have always been shit are still shit, or get said incompetent refs and the people above them who have been continually fecking things up since the start to fix it. I have zero confidence that the latter is possible let alone a realistic expectation so my vote would be for the former.
I completely disagree, any progress comes with some pain until its right, staying in the dark ages just because we haven't mastered writing straight away, rather than knuckling down and getting it right.

The Hilton

Yes I know they are and can you imagine how bad the game will be and how many stoppages there will be when they start implementing those too! And if they never implement them then they’re just picking and choosing what makes the game fair. So your point of it correcting wrong or bad decisions, especially those that affect the outcome of a game are untrue.
It isn't untrue at all, and all you're doing is using the current poor implementation to besmirch a future implementation, which could and should be heavily automated, much quicker, and remove the poor decision makers.

Stan Jefferson

I completely disagree, any progress comes with some pain until its right, staying in the dark ages just because we haven't mastered writing straight away, rather than knuckling down and getting it right.
Fine, I just don’t think it’s at all realistic it will ever get to that point and in the meantime a lot of people are slowly losing interest in the game including myself.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It isn't untrue at all, and all you're doing is using the current poor implementation to besmirch a future implementation, which could and should be heavily automated, much quicker, and remove the poor decision makers.
You’re ignoring what I’m saying then. Unless you think every decision on the field that can affect the outcome of a game is going to be automated, even the subjective ones. Good luck with that.

RedRocket9908

Wouldn't work like that unfortunately. if he's in an offside position and is fouled it can't be a penalty.
Yes it can, its not an offence to be in an offside position so if the foul occurs before he actually commits an offside offense the foul is punished as that offence occurred first.

The Hilton

You’re ignoring what I’m saying then. Unless you think every decision on the field that can affect the outcome of a game is going to be automated, even the subjective ones. Good luck with that.
I'm not ignoring what you're saying, you're making a point with an obvious fallacy.

Just because we can't fix every decision, doesn't mean we shouldn't fix the obvious ones that can be fixed.

Drainy

So Harry who was in front of him couldn't reach it, but of course he could :lol:
They bump into each other for one, for two Maguire makes an attempt on the ball which gives the referee a good reason to say he's playing the ball and therefore interfering, it's a twofer really.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I'm not ignoring what you're saying, you're making a point with an obvious fallacy.

Just because we can't fix every decision, doesn't mean we shouldn't fix the obvious ones that can be fixed.
What obvious ones

Stan Jefferson

I’d genuinely rather we didn’t bother and we could actually react to the game as it happens like we used to.

The Hilton

Fine, I just don’t think it’s at all realistic it will ever get to that point and in the meantime a lot of people are slowly losing interest in the game including myself.
I understand that in fairness, I definitely agree the current implementation isn't very good, but giving up now solidifies what is effectively a fiefdom of terrible officials more interested in their own power rather than getting things right.

The Hilton

What obvious ones
Obvious offsides for starters that would regularly get missed, I'd be OK if we just automated offsides and the ball going over the line, but dropping it altogether is ceding power to a bunch of incompetent officials who are more interested in their own power rather than correct decisions.

ManUnitedCanuck

How many times in this match did you hear the commentator say, “VAR is checking that” when the ball went into the United box.

Devil77

Oh! You are sooo wrong! Football is becoming less and less interesting to watch thanks to VAR. These are the dark ages in many ways. Football has peaked and is in a sharp decline!

stevoc

If the VAR official thinks in his subjective opinion it might be offside, how the feck is that a clear and obvious error?

Offsides are objective, you're either off or you're on. Unless the keepers line of sight was blocked I don't see how VAR intervened here.

Last edited:

90 + 5min

Another week, another great referee performance against us. Shocking. I'm not even happy about our win. This is big, big problem we have to deal with. A problem that will keep going until club goes out with official statement that enough is enough. Next time, take out every player and don't go back on the pitch unless referees stops their agenda against us.

The question is who is deciding this? Who is pushing this agenda? Are we talking about referees and VAR or is this higher up? I don't think people buy anymore about incompetence stuff. It is one thing having some strange decision one or two games. But we are having this far more than what is acceptable.

stevoc

So every time there’s an attacking player offside that isn’t involved in the scoring of a goal, the goal will be ruled out? Right?
Or is it just that specific goal by United?
If I were a betting man I'd wager we'll not see this particular interpretation of the offside and VAR rules employed again this season.

stevoc

VAR is the problem. It’s a shit system regardless of how “well” it may be implemented. It’s killed the game.
Yes, it's now been proven it can't be implemented to the benefit of the game.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If the VAR official thinks in his subjective opinion it might be offside, how the feck is that a clear and obvious error?

Offsides are objective, you're either off or you're on. Unless the keepers line of sight was blocked I don't see how VAR intervened here.
This.

OldSchoolManc

Feels like with every goal or penalty for United, the VAR is using a fine toothed comb for reasons NOT to give it rather than looking at valid reasons to give

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The goal was very similar to a Liverpool last season but it was allowed.

ETH should be calling this out.

The Hilton

Oh! You are sooo wrong! Football is becoming less and less interesting to watch thanks to VAR. These are the dark ages in many ways. Football has peaked and is in a sharp decline!
It isn't in a decline though is it, viewing figures, interest, engagement etc are all higher than ever.

VAR is in its infancy, giving up straight away would mean accepting the awful officiating we've had for years, would remove the only threat to the power of referees that revel in their monopoly of power over the game.

stevoc

So Maguire was offside when Eriksen played the ball yes?

But once Garnacho gets the ball to cross doesn't that start a second phase of play?

So how was Maguie offside?

Josep Dowling

If it took 4 minutes to make a decision how can it be a clear and obvious mistake?

For offsides there should be a 30 second countdown. If they cannot make a decision regarding the offside it should favour the attacker or go with the onfield decision. I don’t want goals being called offside because of a toe. There is no advantage to the attacker.

Premier League refs are determined to chalk off every goal, and particularly for United at present. I believe that’s 6 goals they have taken off us so far this season. It’s a joke and should be called out by Ten Hag, exactly like Klopp and Pep would. Media pressure on referees clearly works.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
One of the most baffling decisions I have seen. Still can't believe that was ruled out because of some made up term, "subjective offside". Joke.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Last weekend my thought was that if they applied that rule to giving penalties then we will be seeing loads of penalties every week because it bapppens on every set piece. Today my thought process is that if they apply this sort of rule to offside then they should be ruling out every single goal where the offside player is anywhere in the vicinity of the ball.

I have watched the sport for over 20 years now and every week I feel now that I am learning a new rule. Having to wait ages for people to look at 50 angles & slow motions on every goal is taking all the joy out of watching football. Just pathetic

Bobski

The thing is that once you start down the road of Var you can probably find reasons to disallow more and more goals, or give a penalty for multiple things every game, but this is not how it was sold, it was the clear and obvious mistakes, not .5MM offside by a nostril hair or the inconsequential touch penalty, or the ball blasted at a defender from close distance on to their arm. Technically these decisions might be correct and logically hard to refute but the impact on the nature of the sport is high, just takes a lot of the fun and spontaneity away and has us all bitching about the semantics of decisions.

Pre VAR, no-one thinks twice about Maguires involvement in that goal. How does football walk it back without causing greater issues?

Red_toad

They bump into each other for one, for two Maguire makes an attempt on the ball which gives the referee a good reason to say he's playing the ball and therefore interfering, it's a twofer really.
Generally you don't bump into someone you're running away from in the same direction, they need to catch you and instigate contact. You agree with the decision, that's good for you. I don't as it just wasn't right, over 3 minutes to find a obvious error.