VAR and Refs | General Discussion

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Yeah, it is. I'd love if DDG was less of a whimp and would come for balls in the air like that.

It was an aerial challenge and he won it Elanga was never getting near that ball. I'd be pissed as a keeper if that was given against me. As a goalkeeper it's only really a foul if you don't get a hand to the ball in those areas.
I agree that winning the ball and catching the player afterwards isn't a foul, if it's the same hand (or hands) that you won the ball with. In this case, he palms the ball with one, smacks the player with the other, in what looks like a separate motion to the one he made to win the ball. As said, if you do the same with your feet, it's a foul, even if you get the ball. What is the difference?

Oranges038

Which one are your referring to?
TAA pretty much doing the same as Cancelo. Pushing a player in the back is allowed in some games but not in others.

I agree that winning the ball and catching the player afterwards isn't a foul, if it's the same hand (or hands) that you won the ball with. In this case, he palms the ball with one, smacks the player with the other, in what looks like a separate motion to the one he made to win the ball. As said, if you do the same with your feet, it's a foul, even if you get the ball. What is the difference?
For a start the ball is about 8 feet in the air.

Nothing wrong with that piece of goalkeeping at all.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Someone on Reddit did the maths.

The spot of the free kick was taken 5 yards closer than the spot of the foul...

And the wall was 13.4 yards...

And this bald fecking cnut is going to the World Cup.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I think if the ref gives the Trent decision as a pen then it's not overruled by VAR, I'm thinking the ref saw the incident, so VAR didn't intervene to say he'd got the decision wrong, also the Cancello challenge whilst similar had more force in it so was an easier decision for the ref to make.

The Moura one is a funny one, anywhere else on the pitch it's a free kick and possible booking but in the box these things are often left to slide, no idea why.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
For a start the ball is about 8 feet in the air.

Nothing wrong with that piece of goalkeeping at all.
Elanga's head wasn't 8 feet in the air.

I'll ask again, you can't follow through with the other foot in a tackle, why should you be allowed to follow through with the other hand via a separate motion for an aerial ball?

Shinjch

The standard of refereeing and decision making by officials is just appalling. VAR has only highlighted this. But I really don't understand how the ref could have got the free kick situation so wrong. He even has a tool to help him put the ball where it should be, then he just needs to count and use the same tool for the wall. These people can have all the tools and tech at their disposal, but they will continue to make bad decisions that impact the outcome of games on a weekly basis, purely because they are incompetent.

Withnail

Yeah, it is. I'd love if DDG was less of a whimp and would come for balls in the air like that.

It was an aerial challenge and he won it Elanga was never getting near that ball. I'd be pissed as a keeper if that was given against me. As a goalkeeper it's only really a foul if you don't get a hand to the ball in those areas.
Eh? What were you watching?

Elanga wins the ball. He heads it goalwards, Martinez blocks the shot with one hand and then slaps him in the face with the other.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

Didn't Elanga get to it first?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

I'll ask again, you can't follow through with the other foot in a tackle, why should you be allowed to follow through with the other hand via a separate motion for an aerial ball?
You can follow through with the other foot in a tackle to be fair - so long as it's not studs showing, most slide tackles have some form of follow-through.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
You can follow through with the other foot in a tackle to be fair - so long as it's not studs showing, most slide tackles have some form of follow-through.
It gets called as a foul more often than not if there's a separate motion with the other leg, rather than it just being a trailing foot, rightly so. Which is similar to what happened with Martinez, the arm that caught Elanga was a separate motion to the one that won the ball.

I appreciate that I am in the wrong here, as the referee and VAR gave nothing, and I seem to be in the minority of those who thinks it's a foul. I just don't see how it can differ from the same sort of challenge on the ground.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Bailey crying on Twitter.
He's got a point though? I've got no idea how Martinez got away with what he did to Bailey. Pretty obvious violent conduct.

Seems a bit silly to dismiss it as him "crying" on Twitter.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This was honestly laughably bad. I don't know why our players didn't just protest hard about both.

Oranges038

And I'll tell you again there's nothing wrong with that piece of goalkeeping.

acnumber9

Someone on Reddit did the maths.

The spot of the free kick was taken 5 yards closer than the spot of the foul...

And the wall was 13.4 yards...

And this bald fecking cnut is going to the World Cup.
Not sure of the science of the distance being applied there but did the ref force our wall not to stand in a straight line? Seems a poorly constructed wall regardless of ref input.

SAF is the GOAT

This was honestly laughably bad. I don't know why our players didn't just protest hard about both.
They did,
The first thing that Casemiro and Cristiano did is to tell the ref that the wall and the ball taking are too far between them but the cnut just didn't bother

Which cnut was it yesterday?
A. Taylor

Last edited:

Silverman

He's got a point though? I've got no idea how Martinez got away with what he did to Bailey. Pretty obvious violent conduct.

Seems a bit silly to dismiss it as him "crying" on Twitter.
Ya wud swear he got kicked in the head while lying on the ground.
He got a dig in the ribs. Martinez shouldn't have done it but ffs it's done now, and they won the match. Comes across as a pretty big cry baby imo.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Huh? Elanga won the header.

Withnail

I forgot he actually won the header, I've rewatched it several times since.

Still absolutely nothing wrong with that piece of goalkeeping. Perfectly acceptable.
Fair enough. The debatable part for me is whether or not it's reckless and the fact that his other hand comes around and hits Elanga in the face after he's made the save. It's an open palm which mitigates it, obviously. Probably not penalty worthy but it's dodgy ground I think.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I forgot he actually won the header, I've rewatched it several times since.

Still absolutely nothing wrong with that piece of goalkeeping. Perfectly acceptable.
Im leaning towards the same as you, but I dont think it's clean cut because he just hurls himself into Elanga which is somewhat dangerous. But I think I agree.

Ibi Dreams

It's one of those ones where it is definitely dangerous and yet definitely should be allowed. Both players have to go for it and they both know that one or both of them is about to get clattered

Anustart89

It's one of those ones where it is definitely dangerous and yet definitely should be allowed. Both players have to go for it and they both know that one or both of them is about to get clattered
Yet if the goalkeeper gets caught like that then it’s an instant foul, so it’s not really a 50/50 where both have equal right to go for it. Had it been that way, then the decision would’ve been that Martinez was late in and despite getting the ball he also endangered the opponent with his flailing arm that wasn’t used to get the ball.

By the way, the law specifically states that it’s an offence to endanger the safety of an opponent, and nowhere in that law does it say that there is an exception where goalkeepers are given more leniency. So jumping out to save the ball while not being in control of your body parts and smashing a player over the head is endangering an opponent (or would be considered that if football actually gave a feck about head injuries), just as much as sliding in with your legs while “not being in control” is, and I’d even say that hitting someone in the head is more dangerous because you can’t knock someone unconscious mid-air by slide tackling their legs.

Baneofthegame

Yet if the goalkeeper gets caught like that then it’s an instant foul, so it’s not really a 50/50 where both have equal right to go for it. Had it been that way, then the decision would’ve been that Martinez was late in and despite getting the ball he also endangered the opponent with his flailing arm that wasn’t used to get the ball.

By the way, the law specifically states that it’s an offence to endanger the safety of an opponent, and nowhere in that law does it say that there is an exception where goalkeepers are given more leniency. So jumping out to save the ball while not being in control of your body parts and smashing a player over the head is endangering an opponent (or would be considered that if football actually gave a feck about head injuries), just as much as sliding in with your legs while “not being in control” is, and I’d even say that hitting someone in the head is more dangerous because you can’t knock someone unconscious mid-air by slide tackling their legs.
I didn’t see the game at the weekend and by all accounts it seems I was lucky. But this is something that has annoyed me for ages, goalkeepers can mis a punch and essentially assault someone and to referees it’s a “physical contact sport”, yet for me it’s incredibly dangerous and should be a foul at the least as it’s a challenge for the ball which they have in fact missed like any other.

redshaw

On the 13 yard freekick wall, our players should be smarter and move forward making the ref recount like I see countless times. You often see players take up a line about 8-9 yards and informing where the ball should be placed, the ref then takes a stride count and moves the wall back a yard, had we done that instead of accepting a refs wild guess with just the odd player noticing the freekick taker may have hit the wall, adjusted his shot to send it wide or produced a weaker effort on target.

I'm sure ETH will be going over this. I hope we have a good procedure next time as this was a huge error by the ref but more importantly our slack team. We were gifting goals and ground to them.

Fully Fledged

I didn’t see the game at the weekend and by all accounts it seems I was lucky. But this is something that has annoyed me for ages, goalkeepers can mis a punch and essentially assault someone and to referees it’s a “physical contact sport”, yet for me it’s incredibly dangerous and should be a foul at the least as it’s a challenge for the ball which they have in fact missed like any other.
It's a penalty in Rugby Union to make contact with someone who is playing the ball in the air because they know how dangerous it can be.

Parma Dewol

Villa game has been interesting. In a way the game has flowed without VAR. On the other hand, the ref has missed some controversial calls, particularly the Bailey kick out.

Better or not without VAR? Hard to say but, having been an advocate of the tech, I liked the fact this game didn't stop repeatedly for long spells.