VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Have to admit when watching live I thought this was close and surprised more didn't get made of it

If I'm Arteta I'm going on another tirade about this. Take the fine/ban and place even a tiny seed of doubt/fear in the ref's mind for City's match at the weekend.

But it says everything about the control City has over the media that there is no controversy over a likely league winning goal being offside.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Be interested to see the official lines for it.

Romero should be red carded as well, can't challenge for the ball when you're going to endanger the safety of an opponent and he knows the keeper will get the ball.

Oranges038

Have to admit when watching live I thought this was close and surprised more didn't get made of it

Was watching the highlights again and thought he might have been marginally off. Personally I don't like these being checked for these small margins. But if they do it in other games it surely has to be done for this.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Doesn't look offside to me.
I think it's very marginal either way. The main point though is for such a crucial decision why did we not get shown the lines like in literally every other game?

Even if it's onside It's an error for VAR in the sense that there is still mystery surrounding the decision. It's their job to take that away as much as possible.

Remember the geese

I think it's very marginal either way. The main point though is for such a crucial decision why did we not get shown the lines like in literally every other game?
Yeah, this should have happened due to how tight the call the was. I actually thought that Romero got away with one very early on when he fell to the ground in a tussle with Haaland. Haaland was through, but the free kick was given to Spurs.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Yeah, this should have happened due to how tight the call the was. I actually thought that Romero got away with one very early on when he fell to the ground in a tussle with Haaland. Haaland was through, but the free kick was given to Spurs.
That's a subjective call though, this potential offside isn't.

DavidDeSchmikes

funny thing is if VAR is scrapped, refs will continue to make mistakes (because they're human), plus when they make mistakes, pundits will use their own technology (complete with zooms in and slow motions) to point out the human refs errors

FerociousCorgis

scrapping it all together is just stupid. Offsides needs to be tweaked, i like the idea of just it being if the entire body is beyond the last defender then it is offsides. Yeah there will still be mm tight decisions, but i think people would be more forgiving with those if it is the entire body vs looking at an armpit hair or something like now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Refs got worse with VAR because they got scared of calling penalties, hoping VAR bails them out. But VAR only steps in for clear and obvious (albeit inconsistency) so there's a flaw there.

My view is they shouldn't complicate it. Use VAR for obvious mistakes and let the in game ref judge the rest. The offside will be semi automated anyway and that will help a lot.

Eplel

What they need to get rid of before VAR is the impunity with which refs can destroy a game, while enjoying the utmost protection from the FA.

Instead, bring forward an independent grading system, and punish referees that don't score well or do massive mistakes.

tomaldinho1

It's amazing that these incompetent refs have turned so many people against VAR. I used to think it was a bit of a joke that they would purposefully get it binned but, honestly, that's so obviously what they are doing.

VAR isn't bad or good, it's basically just a vastly more accurate way of seeing what's going on but the rules for it and the people manning it are genuine clowns.

RedRocket9908

Its a bit petty from Wolves to raise the motion for VAR to be scrapped, there is no way that they'll get 13 other clubs to vote in favour.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Can't see it happening, the fundamental problem with VAR is not VAR it's how it's implemented

acnumber9

Its a bit petty from Wolves to raise the motion for VAR to be scrapped, there is no way that they'll get 13 other clubs to vote in favour.
It shouldn’t be up to clubs. It should up to fans. Poll season ticket holders and see who is in favour.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Ridiculous. Just need better staff using the VAR
no, what is needed a different protocol

as is
Clear and obvious mistake
still frames/ slow motion
Inconsistent ruling
No challenges

to be
Any mistake in box and /or possibly resulting in a red card gets reviewd
Replays shown in normal speed, slow mo/ still images shown at the end
Consistent ruling
Challenge system

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If Refs can't make decision with the help of technology, how can they make right decision without it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There's nothing wrong with the tech, it's the referees. I wouldn't mind scrapping it for a year though, get them properly trained with the systems and then bringing it back in a better state.