VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

BuzzKillington

I’m sure this isn’t a novel opinion but I much preferred it when we didn’t have VAR. Yes there were mistakes, but we still have them now, at least the game flowed and you didn’t have to wait to celebrate a goal. Can we please just go back to how it was before and accept there’ll be mistakes. It’s sucking the fun out of the game for little benefit.

Somebody should make a poll.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
At the end of the day it’s as simple as the people they’ve got refereeing are incompetent. It’s not a system issue and the process is largely fine. It’s the clowns running it. Nothing will change until ex players start training to be refs or they are held to a MUCH higher standard.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Problem with VAR is that it is only as good as the people who administer over it. When they make errors like today they need to give an account of themselves. I feel each team should have one separate review call each game available to them, where they can force the refs to look at it.

Djemba-Djemba

Yeah because it was so great before var
You're being sarcastic but it was better.

We still get gormless mistakes now just as we did before VAR but now we get the added crapness of not being able to celebrate a goal going in for fear a toenail was offside in the buildup and it gets ruled out.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Problem with VAR is that it is only as good as the people who administer over it. When they make errors like today they need to give an account of themselves. I feel each team should have one separate review call each game available to them, where they can force the refs to look at it.
Bit pointless if they make decisions like today

Cantonalegod

I saw the new-ish head of refs the other day, bald fella, forget his name. He had a level of arrogance that is typically only found in police officers and, of course, referees. They are the problem.
Strange that you should say that as he was a South Yorkshire police officer for more than 15 years!

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Offsides should be simple.

Line on the last defender and check if an attacker is beyond that line. It really shouldn’t be difficult to implement this and they’re still getting it wrong.

I completely understand the difficulties when the all is played by a defender to an offside attacker and whether this is intentional or if the player is deemed to have been in control of the ball etc. this is where it becomes more challenging but simple offside calls should never be wrong.

The Brighton one and the Arsenal one should never happen.

When it comes to handball it then becomes more opinion based. How we didn’t get a penalty today for Soucek saving a shot is beyond belief. His hand was not planted and the ball was going towards goal. It’s a penalty.

Handball rule needs simplified though as referees Simply do not have the ability to implement the rule.

Red Star One

I strongly dislike Arsenal and Toney was my big differential in FPL so I’ll take this goal gladly, but it really is a joke Mason is still allowed in the job continuously fecking up in such crucial moments. If I were a gunner I’d be furious as feck, this was a blatant offside.

Awful day for VAR refs overall. There has to be some accountability I guess

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Today's call in the Chelsea match is the perfect example of why VAR is fine for offsides but should be scrapped for everything else. Offside is an objective call, a player is either ahead of the last defender or he isn't. Although I dislike the toenail offsides, at least VAR has (after several tweaks) proven capable of consistently getting decisions technically right.

But other calls are not objective. It's always gonna be one (or a couple of) person(s) interpretation of often imprecise rules. But when you have VAR, you create an illusion of objectivity, of scientific methods, that makes people much more furious when calls are illogical, inconsistent or just downright wrong. The extreme hesitancy to overturn any decision now makes it obsolete anyway so just scrap it already.
I don't buy this argument and never have.

There are subjective calls in football all the time, and sometimes decisions where the nature of the incident means the referee cant really win, but there are a couple of problems with using this as an excuse to get things wrong.

Firstly, you can have subjectively and consistency at the same time, and it actually isn't difficult. All it requires is adult communication between a team of people. In this case the referees. There are many jobs especially in authorative roles where this is a huge factor and is managed accordingly. With premier league officials however, not only is one ref not consistent with another, but the same team of officials won't be consistent from one game to the next, or even within the same game, or even within the same incident (for example, when Martial and Lamella slapped each other in the face and one got sent off while the other didnt). This would be like the police catching you and your mate with a bag of cocaine each, letting your mate off and arresting and charging you, while the while thing is broadcast to several million people. It wouldn't happen because they wouldn't get away with being that corrupt/incompetent.

Secondly, some of the "subjective" calls they get wrong really aren't that subjective unless you're either an idiot or are getting it wrong on purpose. For example the Salah goal against Wolves, that ridiculous tackle on Weghorst in the league cup (I think), the Middlesbrough handball goal. Anything can be subjective if you take the subjectivity bar so high that it stretches to just pretending not to see things or reinventing the rules to fit around your decision.

VAR doesn't create the illusion of objectivity, it just allows officials to review an incident with factual video footage. It's impossible for VAR to make it harder to get a decision right because it has no ability to be deceiving or make the rules anymore subjective. It literaly just shows you what actually happened. What's happening is its exposing the inconsistency and plain incompetence of the officials because it is frequently being used to change correct decisions to wrong ones, or enforce unique one off interpretations of the rules that sometimes are severely blurring the lines between "interpretation" and "just making something up to give the decision you want to give".

And actually they can't even get the "factual" offside decisions right as we have seen today.

I think if you had a system of quality control with officials that instead of being designed to try and ban criticism of them, was designed to make sure that someone like Antony Taylor couldn't become a PL referee in the first place (due to there being a requirement to not be really rubbish at it), you'd find most of the nonsense decisions would disappear and there would be consistency and common sense. There would still be controversial incidents because that just happens, but they would be the ones where whatever decision the official made, it would be criticised. Not the ones where one team is denied 2 points because the official forgot to look at the replay properly, or a team has a player sent off because someone grabbed someone else's collar for 1.2 seconds.

Lights Out

I just wish we could get back to being able to immediately celebrate a goal.

The game is being neutralised too much now

redshaw

Terrible stuff. Usually they get the offsides right so it's still a net positive and I hate seeing well timed moves in goals flagged for offside pre VAR.

We need some better people applying the rules and maybe some better technology and even AI picking up players that have to be deselected before carrying on. I recall that Juve game with the player in the far corner out of shot making it not offside, an AI could pick that up for attention.

I thought recently I saw the tennis hawk eye/goal area tech being used across a whole pitch but it seems we're back to poor video angles with lines and dots manually applied. A fully realized 3D render you can rotate and zoom out would be much better. Not sure if this is achievable yet on a football pitch across the league.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Today's call in the Chelsea match is the perfect example of why VAR is fine for offsides but should be scrapped for everything else. Offside is an objective call, a player is either ahead of the last defender or he isn't. Although I dislike the toenail offsides, at least VAR has (after several tweaks) proven capable of consistently getting decisions technically right.

But other calls are not objective. It's always gonna be one (or a couple of) person(s) interpretation of often imprecise rules. But when you have VAR, you create an illusion of objectivity, of scientific methods, that makes people much more furious when calls are illogical, inconsistent or just downright wrong. The extreme hesitancy to overturn any decision now makes it obsolete anyway so just scrap it already.
100% correct.
I have been preaching this since the start. You are correct about VAR should be used in clear cut objective offenses only. That’s why instant replay in the NFL works so good. Nothing subjective. VAR is a failure in this league and no matter what experts they bring in to run it someone will always interpret things different than someone else like we all do. It’s never gonna work and it’s getting worse.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I think the argument is more that is still operates as now, but each team has an option to ask them to look again/harder.
Still makes no difference to subjective calls. That soucek handball can still go either way. VAR is the most pointless buzz killing thing to ever happen to the game in my opinion. Most calls are a lottery and that will never change.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Tbf one of the refs is Australian. He sent off some poor bloke for "running aggressively towards the ref" :lol:

The delight of on-field referees, they'll get total control again in 6 months :drool:

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I strongly dislike Arsenal and Toney was my big differential in FPL so I’ll take this goal gladly, but it really is a joke Mason is still allowed in the job continuously fecking up in such crucial moments. If I were a gunner I’d be furious as feck, this was a blatant offside.

Awful day for VAR refs overall. There has to be some accountability I guess
I agree completely.

Is it overzealous to suggest Mason should literally be suspended for such a feck up? I would be furious.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
VAR is a step forward in the right direction. It starts to eliminate unnecessary human mistakes. It just feels silly people want to go back where referee had 100% of power, and can hide behind excuse of to make decision in split second events. Now they can't have excuse for incompetency.

glasgow 21

Terrible day for Var and Refs. Barnes Leicester first goal was onside in my opinion same as the Brighton goal wrongly called off because Var didn't want to see the other defender. The Chelsea's penalty when photos show the ref couldn't see it happening , he was running away denying the penalty then var get its wrong. West ham goal v Arsenal and although the Chelsea, Arsenal's ones work in our favour it still wrong like the numerous ones against us. Var/refs are poor in England and it is broken. They are getting as a percentage, too many calls wrong. What for the life of me is Lemina's sending off for Wolves.

Tarrou

VAR is a step forward in the right direction. It starts to eliminate unnecessary human mistakes. It just feels silly people want to go back where referee had 100% of power, and can hide behind excuse of to make decision in split second events. Now they can't have excuse for incompetency.
it hasn't eliminated them though that's the point

every weekend they make a huge feckup somehow

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
it hasn't eliminated them though that's the point

every weekend they make a huge feckup somehow
Why people blame VAR for that, instead of whoever making decisions or how ref interpret the law? I love that VAR start showing people how stupid some of referees are.

In the past, people could only fuming and resign to fate, when the replays from 100 angles showed that the ref making mistakes. Now at least some refs can't hide if they still fecking up their decisions.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
I think the argument is more that is still operates as now, but each team has an option to ask them to look again/harder.
Yes, it is the ability of the manager to put the whole refereeing team of that day on the spot and make them stick their necks out even further on something that is obvious to all. There is not enough accountability here in my opinion...and this will keep happening. Give the manager of both teams a little power on one key decision during the game.

I thought the Arsenal one was bad...i had not seen the highlights from the Brighton game yet.. VAR operators may need sobriety tests in the future at this rate.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

Must be nice to be able to say you "forgot to do your job" and nothing happens

Bestie07

I was watching the Arsenal game live yesterday and it was clear in real time that there were two or three tight calls in the build up to the Arsenal goal. How a professional referee allow that goal to stand after getting the privilege of numerous video replays is beyond belief. This isn't even a subjective call, which they also regularly feck up, this is a cut and dry offside that will probably now result in title going to the cheats on the blue side of Manchester. Huge, huge mistake and I am not able to get over it. Heads would roll for such a crucial mistake in any other line of work.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
VAR can help the game so much - I felt it was used perfectly at the World Cup.

I don’t blame the ref for this one as it would have been hard to see - but if the clowns behind the screen aren’t going to help him and let him know, you may as well get rid of it
Same here. I don't know why it's implemented terribly in the Prem. It's pure incompetence. Either that or they're using it the same way the WWE uses promos, as a storytelling gimmick.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Same here. I don't know why it's implemented terribly in the Prem. It's pure incompetence. Either that or they're using it the same way the WWE uses promos, as a storytelling gimmick.
It is because there was nowhere near the content at the World Cup and the bigger games didn’t have massive controversy.
Wasn’t there a horrendously bad decision in one of the England group games?

POF

I've watched the Brentford goal multiple times and still can't see who's supposed to be offside? There were a few players in offside positions who got nowhere near the ball but it looks a perfectly good goal to me. Every player who touched the ball for Brentford was onside when it was played by the player before.

The worst decision in that game is the non-existent foul given against Mbeumo when he "scored" early on in the game.

This is why VAR is so difficult to implement. The rules of football are so vague (and those implementing them are too stupid to understand interpretations) that 2 people can watch an incident and both genuinely believe the complete opposite of each other.

The Soucek handball was a judgement call too. The interpretations around handball change every 5 minutes so nobody knows what is supposed to be a "deliberate handball" anymore.

Estupinan's goal vs Palace looked nowhere near offside live or from any replay and was one of the worst mistakes I have ever seen. That VAR operator should be sacked immediately.

But the biggest controversy of the weekend seems to be the Brentford goal because Arteta got a bit upset. "Replay the game" they say as if it's an error so gross that VAR should be abolished. It wasn't even an incorrect decision. But football reporting and fan reactions don't have any interest in fairness. That's why VAR will struggle to work in football.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
I've watched the Brentford goal multiple times and still can't see who's supposed to be offside? There were a few players in offside positions who got nowhere near the ball but it looks a perfectly good goal to me. Every player who touched the ball for Brentford was onside when it was played by the player before.

The worst decision in that game is the non-existent foul given against Mbeumo when he "scored" early on in the game.

This is why VAR is so difficult to implement. The rules of football are so vague (and those implementing them are too stupid to understand interpretations) that 2 people can watch an incident and both genuinely believe the complete opposite of each other.

The Soucek handball was a judgement call too. The interpretations around handball change every 5 minutes so nobody knows what is supposed to be a "deliberate handball" anymore.

Estupinan's goal vs Palace looked nowhere near offside live or from any replay and was one of the worst mistakes I have ever seen. That VAR operator should be sacked immediately.

But the biggest controversy of the weekend seems to be the Brentford goal because Arteta got a bit upset. "Replay the game" they say as if it's an error so gross that VAR should be abolished. It wasn't even an incorrect decision. But football reporting and fan reactions don't have any interest in fairness. That's why VAR will struggle to work in football.
This.

Looking at that Brenford goal the only tight decision is the last part of the goal, where Toney heads the ball down.

Also the obstruction before the freekick, was my main worry watching it live, it's where the VAR replay looked at but with a wrong wording of " checking offside" instead of 'obstruction play'

From the overhead angle, shown live on TV, he wasn't offside and VAR didn't draw lines to it. I didn't think it was offside.

The viral still picture of that offside, looks more like an angle issue than being a mistake.

The great mistake was the calling of a foul just before Brenford scored. That's the biggest mistake in that game.

Last edited:

georgipep

The penultimate pass is the one where from the camera angle it looks like the player is offside.

Josep Dowling

Said it before but they need to stop the referee being in full control on VAR decisions. If he’s made a mistake the VAR referee should take control of the decision, just as the do in rugby. They then tell the pitch referee what to do. It’s about getting the right decision. Why is it football referee need full control? They should also be mic’ed up with fans able to hear how their decision is being made. There is simply too much protection towards refs in football and it’s got to the stage where I feel there has to be some form of match fixing going on to create entertainment.

With regard to offside and handballs. In some respects it’s not the referees fault. The rules keep changing to the point that fans and pundits don’t actually know what the rules are. Peter Walton on BT is pretty good at explaining the current rules when a VAR decision is being made and it’s crazy what the rules are. Overly complex and gives the referee licence to pick and choose on a decision. Again why would they do this unless they want the referees to have the ability to interpret rules (Real Sociedad penalty decision is a prime example). Go back to the root cause, simplify the rules.

I also think offsides need to have a timer on. If a decision can’t be made in 10 seconds it’s not clear and obvious. Let the goal stand. That will let the game flow better and give the attacker the advantage, which most football fans want to see.

cyberman

Said it before but they need to stop the referee being in full control on VAR decisions. If he’s made a mistake the VAR referee should take control of the decision, just as the do in rugby. They then tell the pitch referee what to do. It’s about getting the right decision. Why is it football referee need full control? They should also be mic’ed up with fans able to hear how their decision is being made. There is simply too much protection towards refs in football and it’s got to the stage where I feel there has to be some form of match fixing going on to create entertainment.

With regard to offside and handballs. In some respects it’s not the referees fault. The rules keep changing to the point that fans and pundits don’t actually know what the rules are. Peter Walton on BT is pretty good at explaining the current rules when a VAR decision is being made and it’s crazy how the interpretations that have been create. Go back to the root cause. Change the rules to fit the game.

I also think offsides need to have a timer on. If a decision can’t be made in 10 seconds it’s not clear and obvious. Let the goal stand. That will let the game flow better and give the attacker the advantage, which most football fans want to see.
Offsides don’t fall under clear and obvious and has more to do with the fiddling of equipment and making sure the lines are on the correct body parts then staring at a screen trying to make their mind up.
Nothing interrupts the flow of a game more than a goal and if the goal is incorrectly given
then it’s a disaster.
It’s a nothing point anyway, semi automated offsides will come in soon which will make the offside decision immediate

Josep Dowling

Offsides don’t fall under clear and obvious and has more to do with the fiddling of equipment and making sure the lines are on the correct body parts then staring at a screen trying to make their mind up.
Nothing interrupts the flow of a game more than a goal and if the goal is incorrectly given
then it’s a disaster.
It’s a nothing point anyway, semi automated offsides will come in soon which will make the offside decision immediate
You say that but the current rules are that a player has to be active to be deemed offside. How is a computer going to know if a player is active in play or not? It comes down to interpretation again. That’s why I’m saying they need to go back to the root cause of the problem which is the over complicated rules. Take the Rashford goal against City. Very few United fans would say that should have been given as a goal but the current rules allowed it to stand.

simmee

I don't buy this argument and never have.

There are subjective calls in football all the time, and sometimes decisions where the nature of the incident means the referee cant really win, but there are a couple of problems with using this as an excuse to get things wrong.

Firstly, you can have subjectively and consistency at the same time, and it actually isn't difficult. All it requires is adult communication between a team of people. In this case the referees. There are many jobs especially in authorative roles where this is a huge factor and is managed accordingly. With premier league officials however, not only is one ref not consistent with another, but the same team of officials won't be consistent from one game to the next, or even within the same game, or even within the same incident (for example, when Martial and Lamella slapped each other in the face and one got sent off while the other didnt). This would be like the police catching you and your mate with a bag of cocaine each, letting your mate off and arresting and charging you, while the while thing is broadcast to several million people. It wouldn't happen because they wouldn't get away with being that corrupt/incompetent.

Secondly, some of the "subjective" calls they get wrong really aren't that subjective unless you're either an idiot or are getting it wrong on purpose. For example the Salah goal against Wolves, that ridiculous tackle on Weghorst in the league cup (I think), the Middlesbrough handball goal. Anything can be subjective if you take the subjectivity bar so high that it stretches to just pretending not to see things or reinventing the rules to fit around your decision.

VAR doesn't create the illusion of objectivity, it just allows officials to review an incident with factual video footage. It's impossible for VAR to make it harder to get a decision right because it has no ability to be deceiving or make the rules anymore subjective. It literaly just shows you what actually happened. What's happening is its exposing the inconsistency and plain incompetence of the officials because it is frequently being used to change correct decisions to wrong ones, or enforce unique one off interpretations of the rules that sometimes are severely blurring the lines between "interpretation" and "just making something up to give the decision you want to give".

And actually they can't even get the "factual" offside decisions right as we have seen today.

I think if you had a system of quality control with officials that instead of being designed to try and ban criticism of them, was designed to make sure that someone like Antony Taylor couldn't become a PL referee in the first place (due to there being a requirement to not be really rubbish at it), you'd find most of the nonsense decisions would disappear and there would be consistency and common sense. There would still be controversial incidents because that just happens, but they would be the ones where whatever decision the official made, it would be criticised. Not the ones where one team is denied 2 points because the official forgot to look at the replay properly, or a team has a player sent off because someone grabbed someone else's collar for 1.2 seconds.
For your first point, they could just look at the English justice system for inspiration. Base it on statutory law and in the abscence of that on earlier reasoning. If they did it similar to that and at least always strove to be consistent I think there would be a lot less outrage in the long run. Even if you don't always agree with the interpretation you would at least know what to expect from each similar situation.

They should also always have at least two people on VAR. I don't understand how they miss so many obvious situations.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Thank you, I thought I was losing it.