VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Nah, there are VAR controversies every weekend, in every major league. It’s baked into the way it works. Trying to interpret grey areas, in super slo mo, while under incredible pressure to make a quick decision.
I strongly disagree. I watch both Serie A and La liga regular fot example. The straight up gaffes are not as frequent.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
They always check VAR when they get surrounded or players are outraged. Acting like they don't is just being wilfully obtuse.
Players surrounding the ref always leads to the refs consulting VAR?

What planet are you living on?

Just because players might surround the ref after an incident which is already being reviewed doesn’t mean the review is taking place because they’re surrounding him. Suggesting that surrounding the ref is what leads to a review is utterly insane.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
How on earth has VAR not picked up on this!?
After this particular episode plus the Boly sending off a few weeks back I struggling to give a feck about VAR. It’s shit and it’s ruined football. After watching the VAR free FA cup tie vs Blackpool midweek I’d be quite happy if the FA dock us 20pts and we can feck off back to the Champ. The football may be lower quality but it’s a more enjoyable way of spending a couple of hours. I can cope with us losing but not getting cheated.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
VAR an absolute joke in the real Madrid game. Why even bother playing, just give Madrid the 3 points and sack the game off.

Football as remotely fair sport is dead.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It was a disgrace. Studs on legs. Bottom line
Give over. It was a 50/50, they both went in side footed for a strong challenge, Kluivert got the ball first and his follow through unavoidably caught Diaz.

Not every accidental bit of contact has to be a red card, there was zero intent and like I said he was first to the ball which he had every right to be challenging. I’d be disappointed if he shirked that challenge.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can we all agree its a failure. BTW if everyone thinks Rashford should not have been sent off then admit now that Curtis Jones should not have been sent off either when he slipped on top of a ball before going into the players leg. Two terrible decisions.
I’ll just leave this here.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Give over. It was a 50/50, they both went in side footed for a strong challenge, Kluivert got the ball first and his follow through unavoidably caught Diaz.

Not every accidental bit of contact has to be a red card, there was zero intent and like I said he was first to the ball which he had every right to be challenging. I’d be disappointed if he shirked that challenge.
I wasn’t even saying red. What I did say was it wasn’t even a foul. By the way that was worse than what Curtis Jones did by far. Again we get shafted but at least we didn’t lose points like the other decisions that have gone against us through the agendas of certain refs. We should be at least 8-10 pts clear easily without the bias decisions.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I wasn’t even saying red. What I did say was it wasn’t even a foul. By the way that was worse than what Curtis Jones did by far. Again we get shafted but at least we didn’t lose points like the other decisions that have gone against us through the agendas of certain refs. We should be at least 8-10 pts clear easily without the bias decisions.
Good fishing

Oranges038

Watched the West Ham highlights.

No idea how the ref couldn't see that Brewster red on first look. Then couldn't wait to give the penalty to SU. If that's a penalty against Areola, then the one on Ings in the first half is a penalty. And the one after that on Bowen is also a penalty.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Players surrounding the ref always leads to the refs consulting VAR?

What planet are you living on?

Just because players might surround the ref after an incident which is already being reviewed doesn’t mean the review is taking place because they’re surrounding him. Suggesting that surrounding the ref is what leads to a review is utterly insane.
Over the weekend and today on the radio I've been hearing it loads from pundits where they're blasting players for not complaing to the refs about fouls/incidents etc. that led to goals. It's bizarre. The whole point of VAR and other implemented tools is that player intervention isn't needed at all to get decisions right.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Our players should do this every time that little shit Oliver is in charge.

tomaldinho1

Disagree, he should have been given the free kick because of MacAllister pulling him back and fouling him in the first place
You can't give that as a freekick, it's just standard football - both players trying to get ahead of the other and using their arms.

For me it should be as simple as this: if a player touches the ball in a realistic attempt to challenge (not flying in recklessly like that Udogie one where he didn't get a red vs Chelsea) and then their foot ends up in a red card position, so like Jones and Kluivert, it should only be a yellow. If the player misses the ball and just clatters the opponent though it's a red.

Football is a contact sport and players wear specific protection on their ankles/shins because of this - most of these tackles look bad but don't cause serious injuries, we should keep the ability for players to contest balls.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Dermot Gallagher's view of Ivan Toney's goal

I don't really know where I stand on this - on the one hand, Forest should be paying attention and move their wall accordingly.

On the other hand I don't see why VAR can't just say to the ref that he has significantly moved the position of the ball (I get that its in the rules of VAR that it can't, but why can't it?)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't really know where I stand on this - on the one hand, Forest should be paying attention and move their wall accordingly.

On the other hand I don't see why VAR can't just say to the ref that he has significantly moved the position of the ball (I get that its in the rules of VAR that it can't, but why can't it?)
Because the rules as to what VAR can intervene with and can't are stupid. It should be everything or nothing + again, we shouldn't be blaming players for poor refereeing decisions and cheating from the opposition.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Because the rules as to what VAR can intervene with and can't are stupid. It should be everything or nothing + again, we shouldn't be blaming players for poor refereeing decisions and cheating from the opposition.
Yeah the idea that VAR can and can't get involved in stuff is weird. It's literally a self-inflicted handicap.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Dermot on Sheff Utd's pen

Stretching his (non-existant) credibility by thinking thats a penalty on first glance.

It's never a penalty in a million years - I'd have it down as one of the worst, if not the worst, pen decisions of the season.

Last edited:

RedRocket9908

But he scored from the freekick and all goals are checked by VAR so surely when the goal was checked they could have pulled it back at that point for the ball being in the wrong place.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
But he scored from the freekick and all goals are checked by VAR so surely when the goal was checked they could have pulled it back at that point for the ball being in the wrong place.
Dermot says in that video VAR can't intervene. Heard other pundits say they can't either. No idea what is true or not. Either way it's a shite decision to have let it stand.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest

This has been said a lot - especially from ex-players having a good old chuckle about “cheeky” Toney. If you look at the sequence, the ball was moved when the defenders attention is elsewhere organising. Yates had turned round to shout at Turner and turned back just as Toney straightened up. Where were the linesman at this point? They have sod all to do but watch the ball? Even if the ref is busy elsewhere they should have picked it up.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
This has been said a lot - especially from ex-players having a good old chuckle about “cheeky” Toney. If you look at the sequence, the ball was moved when the defenders attention is elsewhere organising. Yates had turned round to shout at Turner and turned back just as Toney straightened up. Where were the linesman at this point? They have sod all to do but watch the ball? Even if the ref is busy elsewhere they should have picked it up.
Yeah only one lad in the wall has turned around though - there are still 4 other people who can spot it.

I think it's one of those where, if VAR didn't exist, it wouldn't be seen as a huge issue. You'd put it down to a bit of "clever" play by Toney and again, focus on the Forest wall.

However, as VAR does exist, it should really point out shit like that.

It's like that one we had vs. Villa (?) last year when our wall was about 15 years away. Pre-VAR you'd want our players to be like "erm, ref, we're a bit far aren't we?" but in VAR world you'd expect that to step in.

SER19

Dermot Gallaghers opinion should come with a disclaimer. theres no point in it, he so so rarely disagrees with the refs and var he's an obvious PR plant.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Yeah only one lad in the wall has turned around though - there are still 4 other people who can spot it.

I think it's one of those where, if VAR didn't exist, it wouldn't be seen as a huge issue. You'd put it down to a bit of "clever" play by Toney and again, focus on the Forest wall.

However, as VAR does exist, it should really point out shit like that.

It's like that one we had vs. Villa (?) last year when our wall was about 15 years away. Pre-VAR you'd want our players to be like "erm, ref, we're a bit far aren't we?" but in VAR world you'd expect that to step in.
Of the 4 in the wall: Woods is facing the goal, Mangala is looking at Yates and Omobamidele is facing front some of the time but is making Prem debut so is probably nervous as shit. At the end of the day it’s shit defending by us and as you say, if Var didn’t exist it wouldn’t be a talking point. But it does and it’s not working

Bertie Wooster

Yeah the idea that VAR can and can't get involved in stuff is weird. It's literally a self-inflicted handicap.
Hasn't that been the case with plenty of other sports, such as Rugby and Cricket, in all the years that they've had technology? Some 'wrong' decisions have always been allowed to go because they had set things that the technology could rule on?

That's always seemed strange to me, but people generally hold those up as sports that do it far better (though they've had many years extra to develop and evolve it given how late Football was to take it up!)

I guess a big part is the culture of the sport, and how the media portray it - it's not just the players themselves, but the media and the fans seem far less obsessed with looking to make a big thing out of official mistakes / judgement calls in those sports. Whereas in Football, critiquing officials is a huge part of the sport - not just from players and managers but fans and, especially, the media.

thisisnottaken1

What is the point of Dermot Gallagher? He agrees with the decisions of referees almost every single time. It’s just giving even less credibility to the officiating system.

That one there is probably the first time I’ve seen him disagree with a decision.

Last edited:

lonelyred

You are right.

Would they intervene if he moved the ball not to the side, but forward? Or if he moved it to the side but farther, say three yards to the right?