VAR Decisions - PL 19/20 Season

Are you in favour of VAR in the PL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dante

Average bang
they play it frame by frame and go from the first frame where the ball has left the passers foot.

I don’t know how I know that. I’ve read it or heard it somewhere though

If we're getting down to the nearest centimetre for the receiver, it seems remiss that we're not applying the same level of rigour to the passer.

I saw a shit ton of back and forths of Son, but nothing of Ndombele.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
That picture of the dotted lines that BT use comes straight from VAR though.. and there are problems within that picture.
Picture is from VAR
Are you guys sure about this? Quite disappointing if true, as it even looks like the dotted lines aren't even parallel to each other. Or just my eyes play tricks on me.

Dante

Average bang
The dotted lines are parallel.

You're extrapolating to the Leicester player's shoulder. It only goes up to his knee.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Who was it if told me that var doesn’t rule out 1mm offsides & that I was scaremongering haha.

VAR is pathetic & is runining every goal incase someone in the build up is 1mm offside. Players will soon realise this & goal celebrations will be more low key just incase
I don't think VAR is to blame. According to the laws of the game VAR was right. The problem is the laws themself. I think they need to be changed. For me, there should be clear daylight between the attacker and defender to be offside. This way we would be saying "he was onside by a mm" not "he was offside by a mm". Think of it like hockey (yes, I'm Canadian). In hockey, the blue line determines offside. You can't enter before the puck. However, as long as any part of your body is still behind the blueline, you are onside. So players drag a toe to stay onside. If football took up this same ideal we would see goals like in the Tottenham game allowed because parts of the player were still onside...

Johan07

I don't think VAR is to blame. According to the laws of the game VAR was right. The problem is the laws themself. I think they need to be changed. For me, there should be clear daylight between the attacker and defender to be offside. This way we would be saying "he was onside by a mm" not "he was offside by a mm". Think of it like hockey (yes, I'm Canadian). In hockey, the blue line determines offside. You can't enter before the puck. However, as long as any part of your body is still behind the blueline, you are onside. So players drag a toe to stay onside. If football took up this same ideal we would see goals like in the Tottenham game allowed because parts of the player were still onside...
But thats just setting up different red lines.
And i am from Sweden and thus have seen my share of hockey games. Do you really think that there are not issues/quarrels/ even fights over offside decisions in hockey games?
IMO we need to understand that the concept of the offisde rule itself will always, always lead to these discussions regardless where you put the goalposts.
For me, the fairest way is to go with the technology. Or not use VAR at all. Both options are workable. Something inbetween is not.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yep, I agree.

I'd make the red and blue lines, let's say, about 3 inches wide if they existed in real life. The VAR refs would continue to try to be as perfectly accurate as they are now. But if their images show the two lines either touching or overlapping, that would be within the margin of error and the run can be deemed onside.

VAR has it's place in football. But if you accept that there's human error in all areas of subjectivity, it makes things smoother and less contentious. Having a pre-defined margin at least accounts for that.
Yep exactly this. Not hard at all to implement while being a fair and exact science that takes into account human error that would eliminate them drawing lines from armpits that are never in the same spot on the body anyway. Cant believe it wasnt implemented like that from the start either tbh.

bosnian_red

But why deem it onside rather than offside? And why is this any different to the current situation? What about decisions that are 1mm from having the lines overlap? You’ve just moved the location of the yes/no
It's like goal line technology, if the lines overlap, then its onside because it is within the tolerance they assigned in the rules that human error can mess up. If the lines do not overlap, well then it's clearly offside isnt it? It's actually very simple. Every scientific study puts in tolerances for human errors. It's pretty amateurish from VAR to have offside like this without having a tolerance.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
But thats just setting up different red lines.
And i am from Sweden and thus have seen my share of hockey games. Do you really think that there are not issues/quarrels/ even fights over offside decisions in hockey games?
IMO we need to understand that the concept of the offisde rule itself will always, always lead to these discussions regardless where you put the goalposts.
For me, the fairest way is to go with the technology. Or not use VAR at all. Both options are workable. Something inbetween is not.
Of course the goal posts would be moved, but they would be moved in order to promote offense. I would rather see a goal like yesterdays counted than waved off...

Johan07

Yep exactly this. Not hard at all to implement while being a fair and exact science that takes into account human error that would eliminate them drawing lines from armpits that are never in the same spot on the body anyway. Cant believe it wasnt implemented like that from the start either tbh.
So you basically would move the line from 0 to 3 inches when judging offside? How would that make anything different besides just complicating the rule?

bosnian_red

So you basically would move the line from 0 to 3 inches when judging offside? How would that make anything different besides just complicating the rule?
It would just give a fair tolerance while deciding offside calls? They draw the lines and if it it comes down to measuring armpits, then it's onside? There is always a limit, but the limit right now doesn't take into account human error. Having a slight measurable tolerance takes human error into account. Doesn't complicate anything. Just purely checks for an overlap of the 2 lines just like how goal line technology checks for any overlap of the football with the goal line. No overlap, then it's a goal.

montpelier

can people really not see/appreciate that this would make it almost inpossible for the on pitch linesman to apply this new daylight offside rule?

we'd be VAR-ing almost all instances of alleged offside

it's a decent enough idea in theory,to help the attackers not being done over for having bits of body past an imaginary defender-bodypart line but is practically unworkable for the poor old bloke with the flag

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The emotional drain on players after scoring and celebrating is too much. The delay before the goal is disallowed is too much, the players are not robots.

We seen it happen to spurs yesterday and Chelsea today. I hate what it’s doing to football

Jev

Another one. Does anyone actually not think that these marginal calls are ruining football?

I'm all for using VAR to correct obvious mistakes, which is the stated purpose, but these kinds of decisions are sucking all excitement and spontaneity out of the game. I'm astounded that every person in the world can't see this.

Won't be long until players just stop celebrating goals. That'll be fun, won't it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Clear offside, correct decision. Why should teams get awarded with goals that shouldn't stand?

I have sympathy for a lot of the complaints about VAR but not when it comes to disallowing goals that should be disallowed.

Le Red

Another one. Does anyone actually not think that these marginal calls are ruining football?

I'm all for using VAR to correct obvious mistakes, which is the stated purpose, but these kinds of decisions are sucking all excitement and spontaneity out of the game. I'm astounded that every person in the world can't see this.
I do think that these milimetric offside calls are bullshit, but this is an issue that existed before VAR. The offside rule is to blame, it was obvious that with VAR calling offsides it should allow a margin.
VAR is doing it's job correctly by calling offsides with milimetric precision.
Mind, before VAR, onside goals were canceled. That was even more annoying for me.

El Zoido

They should do it like cricket and let teams have three reviews per game.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Clear offside, correct decision. Why should teams get awarded with goals that shouldn't stand?
Because the players and fans celebrated and it's just so emotionally draining to call it back. They've been made to look like mugs now and will never celebrate a goal again. The game is ruined I tell ya.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
This is it really. The Son one yesterday was ridiculous but Mount was clearly offside there.

cyberman

Won't be long until players just stop celebrating goals. That'll be fun, won't it.
Offside calls have always been marginal, so marginal that moves and goals have been flagged for offside when they were on.
Lets not pretend offside had this wide margin of error per VAR.
We have no idea if the lineman caught the offside, its asking linos not to flag for close calls that's creating the illusion that all these calls would be given per VAR.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Because the players and fans celebrated and it's just so emotionally draining to call it back. They've been made to look like mugs now and will never celebrate a goal again. The game is ruined I tell ya.
It's a bloody joke.

I cheered. Walked out to get a drink. Took a while. Came back in and the players are lining up.
Then the ref does that signal and im thinking...surely not.
And a min later its ruled out.

Le Red

can people really not see/appreciate that this would make it almost inpossible for the on pitch linesman to apply this new daylight offside rule?

we'd be VAR-ing almost all instances of alleged offside

it's a decent enough idea in theory,to help the attackers not being done over for having bits of body past an imaginary defender-bodypart line but is practically unworkable for the poor old bloke with the flag
To be fair, the offside rule, with any interpretation, was always too much for the poor old bloke with the flag, which is why it's a good thing to have the aid of technology.
Of course, the offside rule and the system usage have to evolve, and they will.
I just hate to see people overreacting about issues surrounding this newborn system. Did anyone think it would be born perfect? Of course it needs some time to work as it should.

Jev

This one was particularly interesting because there were three or four passes after the offside. How far can we actually go back? It's a slippery slope.

montpelier

This one was particularly interesting because there were three or four passes after the offside. How far can we actually go back? It's a slippery slope.
they seem a bit selective about that

Le Red

It's a bloody joke.

I cheered. Walked out to get a drink. Took a while. Came back in and the players are lining up.
Well, I've seen my share of goals celebrated by everyone only to be called offside, followed by confusion on pitch for one or two minutes and only then final confirmation of offside. Some of those goals were legit.

Stop pretending this never happened before VAR.

montpelier

To be fair, the offside rule, with any interpretation, was always too much for the poor old bloke with the flag, which is why it's a good thing to have the aid of technology.
I just hate to see people overreacting about issues surrounding this newborn system. Did anyone think it would be born perfect? Of course it needs some time to work as it should.
This is all true, I think.

Br1_ovi

Supports
F.C. Barcelona
And Liverpool touched the ball several times, it wasnt just 4 passes between chelsea players. Also, they drew the line wrong, they should take Liverpools player shoulder instead of the foot

Josep Dowling

How have they managed to feck this up so badly?

We have basically got a system that measures whether a toe is offside whilst a leg breaking challenge that a referee judges to be a yellow won’t be overruled. Not a single decision in the Premier League has been overruled yet.

Has a referee even used the monitor? And on that point why the hell do they have that stupid system. Just have the VAR ref tell the referee the correct decision. In the Champions League it can take up to 5 minutes for that entire event to take place, when a VAR ref can make a decision in less than 30 seconds and tell the referee. Exactly the same as rugby.

It’s always the way, just a bunch of morons implementing the system.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The main question I have with the VAR is yesterday Son? Got ruled offside with his arm, but when the line was drawn for the Chelsea goal, it ended at the defenders foot? How is it possible that your arm can play somebody offside, but your arm can't play an attacker onside?

Jev

Well, I've seen my share of goals celebrated by everyone only to be called offside, followed by confusion on pitch for one or two minutes and only then final confirmation of offside. Some of those goals were legit.

Stop pretending this never happened before VAR.
You didn't see it every fricking game, though. And not this kind of delay.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It's a bloody joke.

Aye, if you celebrate, it's a goal. Whether it was offside or never went in. A celebration is a celebration and it's what the games all about.

Jev

No, which is why they probably should have phased it in rather than letting it destroy an entire season of football.

Le Red

This is a good point, that has to be addressed in the rules.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The main question I have with the VAR is yesterday Son? Got ruled offside with his arm, but when the line was drawn for the Chelsea goal, it ended at the defenders foot? How is it possible that your arm can play somebody offside, but your arm can't play an attacker onside?
It was Son's shoulder, not his arm.

Le Red

No, which is why they probably should have phased it in rather than letting it destroy an entire season of football.
Maybe you are right that it came too soon, but I think the upside is it will evolve more quickly by being used in the Premier League because the pressure to address the flaws of the system is immense right now.

cyberman

This is a good point, that has to be addressed in the rules.
It is?
Its because a linesman is told to allow VAR to look at close offsides son is told to keep his flag down.
The linesman isn't physic so doesn't know when an assist is coning or if its 10 passes before the goal. Its a sensible conprimse to keep it in phase of play of a goal or there could be even more stoppages.

Dimz77

VAR should be used how they review decisions in the NFL. On field referees decisions should only be overturned if there is enough evidence to do so. Overruling decisions based on a matter of mms seems pedantic and take more from the enjoyment of the game than it adds for both fans and players.

Le Red

You didn't see it every fricking game, though. And not this kind of delay.
The delay is annoying. The incidence will only be reduced by a change in the rules, which I was favorable to even before VAR.