VAR Decisions - PL 19/20 Season

Are you in favour of VAR in the PL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Oh sorry, I didn't see that, my stream is atrocious, keeps sticking.
Fair enough. You've had some shocking calls go against you for pens this season as well.

izec

Surely you play to the whistle? The players shouldn't stop, braindead though the linesman was.
the ref was waiting with his whistle in the mouth already. It was a cock up from the linesman. Normally once the flags goes up, he whistles. But he waited while the flag was up for seconds. They handled the situation badly

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Is it plausible to get rid of linesman ? Guess you still need them to flag for the obvious calls.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
the ref was waiting with his whistle in the mouth already. It was a cock up from the linesman. Normally once the flags goes up, he whistles. But he waited while the flag was up for seconds. They handled the situation badly
True but the Arsenal players were in the same situation. It's on the players to react correctly by assuming it's still in play until they're sure otherwise. It's right that the goal was given.

Though you'll get no argument from me about the linesman. Awful decision in what has been a terribly officiated game generally.

Heinzesight

So how many points is that now that this utter shit has cost us? Seen so many of those handballs given but of course we get fecked over.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
The only player who stopped was Young who was never reaching Auba anyway. De Gea and the other guy were active.

Bogga

I don't get how this works... Isn't people watching stuff the entire game and inform the ref when something should be looked at if it needs his decision?

Ballache

Supports
Martial
What's the point of this? Seriously? The lack of consistency is fecking ridiculous. I'm fecking fuming.

acnumber9

feck up by the linesman. It’s not fair to the players but he’s onside so hard to be too pissed off about it.

paulscholes18

Not VAR related but the PL need to change the linesman from putting the flag up on close calls, it cost us 2 points and will cost others until they follow the other leagues around Europe

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
The idea is that VAR can overturn a decision if it is a clear and obvious error. That handball today was clear, just as many decisions this season that have not been given (pen for city v spurs comes to mind).

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If a ball is played into a possible goal scoring opportunity, they shouldn't be flagging at all. Players should play to the whistle, but instinctively they're going to stop.

De Gea looked like he was making a half-arsed attempt at best.

It's on us, because we assumed rather than played to the whistle, it's poor discipline, but flagging is still a distraction. They shouldn't be flagging in the final 3rd unless they're miles off.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Thank feck we've got VAR, what a horrible call by the linesman... Probably should have been a penalty at the other end if we follow the rules. The issue is as usual every ref does whatever the feck he wants and apply what he wants when he wants, no consistency. It helped us today so Kevin is my friend.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Worth pointing out that the players were specifically briefed at the start of the season to play to the whistle, not to the flag. If they stopped it's entirely on them.

Friend actually did the right thing (for once in the game) by letting it play on. If he had blown the whistle he would have been heavily criticized for preventing a goal that should have stood. As I think he was in the Villa/Palace game?

HackeyC

Aubameyang just confirmed that he scored after the whistle went. VAR implementation is a joke.

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
Aubameyang just confirmed that he scored after the whistle went. VAR implementation is a joke.
He heard the fans whistle not the referee. You can clearly hear that the ref didn't blown untill after the goal was scored.

TheReligion

Abusive
Thought the officials were all awful tonight. Why no penalty was given for handball against Arsenal I'll never know. No idea why VAR doesn't sort that out.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
He clearly misunderstood the question and answered something completely different. I get that you're pissed but come on...:lol:

HackeyC

He heard the fans whistle not the referee. You can clearly hear that the ref didn't blown untill after the goal was scored.
He clearly misunderstood the question and answered something completely different. I get that you're pissed but come on...:lol:
I point you both to exhibit A, my immediate response to Harry190 :lol:
Yep, replay was pretty clear in the end, he must have been confused with his answer.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I was away when the Auba goal happened, but from what I was hearing from commentary they mentioned that the flag had gone up before the goal, but then the goal was chalked off.

That's pretty unlucky because VAR implementation, atleast in Germany, is that the linesman does not raise his/her flag in attacking situations and waits for either a goal to occur or the attacking play to end before raising the flag. This, one gives the attacking team the opportunity to complete their attack incase the offside call is inaccurate, rather than wasting a chance for them, and second avoids confusing situations for the defending team where they stand still if the flag is up, like what happened now.

Pretty shit implementation here. If the flag was up and the United players stopped, then either 1) the attacking play should've ended with the ref blowing the whistle or 2) there goal should not have been initially chalked off by the ref because him not blowing his whistle would indicate he thought it wasn't offside in the first place and overruled his linesman.

R'hllor

You know whats funny, if ref blew that as a pen, it wouldnt be overturned 100% and that would be fecking mental. VAR in PL, its just a joke.

James_42

Why wont Sky bring up the missed handball? the way they use Var is so inconsistent.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not VAR related but the PL need to change the linesman from putting the flag up on close calls, it cost us 2 points and will cost others until they follow the other leagues around Europe
It's meant to be the lino doesn't put the flag up unless it's super obvious.
Goodness knows what he was playing at today, maybe habit?!

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Goal shouldnt count. Once the linesman raises flag, it shouldn't count because the players stop. He should have waited and then raise it once it goes in or out.
I thought the linos were going to leave their flags down for the marginal decisions?

To be honest, this wasn't even marginal; he was very clearly onside. Terrible flag raise from the linesman. Players should play to the whistle though.

But for the sake of clarity, keep the flag down, let play run for a few seconds.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Worth pointing out that the players were specifically briefed at the start of the season to play to the whistle, not to the flag. If they stopped it's entirely on them.

Friend actually did the right thing (for once in the game) by letting it play on. If he had blown the whistle he would have been heavily criticized for preventing a goal that should have stood. As I think he was in the Villa/Palace game?
But, the understanding is that linos won't flag unless it's very obviously offside.

So he could legitimately have seen the flag and blown on that understanding.

Amarsdd

Why wont Sky bring up the missed handball? the way they use Var is so inconsistent.
exactly! they are literally trying to make it seem it never happened and are actually giving credit to the ref and VAR for today's game.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
You know whats funny, if ref blew that as a pen, it wouldnt be overturned 100% and that would be fecking mental. VAR in PL, its just a joke.
What do you mean ? The Kolasinac handball ? If he blew a pen for it, why would anyone try to overturn it ? I would have been very annoyed but could understand it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Surely you play to the whistle? The players shouldn't stop, braindead though the linesman was.
Yes, you should.
But when every player has spent their lifetime stopping when the flag goes up, it's probably hard to get used to!

R'hllor

What do you mean ? The Kolasinac handball ? If he blew a pen for it, why would anyone try to overturn it ? I would have been very annoyed but could understand it.
Because they didnt award it after viewing, so guess they concluded its not a pen but if ref gave it away, they wouldnt overturn it.

TheReligion

Abusive
Stonewall penalty. The whole studio on Sky think so. Ridiculous decision.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
But, the understanding is that linos won't flag unless it's very obviously offside.

So he could legitimately have seen the flag and blown on that understanding.
The PL's version is more flag-happy than other leagues, with the linesmen not being specifically instructed to keep their flag down in the way linesmen in the CL are, for example. Think back to the Martial offside in one of our earlier games, where he was actually on but the linesman flagged regardless thus potentially ending a goalscoring opportunity incorrectly. It's really, really, really stupid but that's what the PL have decided to go with.

The real issue is that the linesman flagged at all though, in what was a ludicrously bad decision. VAR shouldn't have been needed to spot that was onside.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The PL's version is more flag-happy than other leagues, with the linesmen not being specifically instructed to keep their flag down in the way linesmen in the CL are, for example. Think back to the Martial offside in one of our earlier games, where he was actually on but the linesman flagged regardless thus potentially ending a goalscoring opportunity incorrectly. It's really, really, really stupid but that's what the PL have decided to go with.

The real issue is that the linesman flagged at all though, in what was a ludicrously bad decision. VAR shouldn't have been needed to spot that was onside.
Auba did well to not be put off, and carry on and put it away.
After years of seeing a flag and stopping, it would have been the natural thing.